Who are the best television commenters? | Golden Skate

Who are the best television commenters?

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Here’s something that I haven’t seen discussed, at least in its own devoted thread, Golden Skaters…

Who are the best figure skating commenters (sometimes called, needlessly syllabically (if I may), commentators)?

In my relatively brief period of reading and posting posts in this forum, few raise this question. Quite valuably, G. Kelly on occasion points out that the widespread perception that the current system of judging is “too complicated” is, in part, a product of the fact that figure skating commenters on television fail to adequately explain it.

I would add that the perception that the current system of judging (the IJS) is “too complicated” is also a result, in the U.S. at least, of the ridiculous fact that the standard American figure skating television commenters constantly bemoan how “incomprehensible” the current judging system is. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. People think it’s too complicated to understand because they’re repeatedly told that it’s too complicated to understand…by Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, Terry Gannon, etc.

On occasion, American television audiences are treated to intelligent commentary on Universal Sports, if one is lucky enough to get that channel. In my experience, the best television commenters in the U.S. are:

Johnny Weir, whose commentary a couple of years ago on Worlds I appreciated because he was honest about the politics involved, and

Tanith Belbin and Judy Blumberg, who manage to explain the intricacies of Ice Dancing in a way that makes sense of the results that usually follow without dogmatically rationalizing them, which most Ice Dancing commenters do.

I have to say, the person I like the least is Tracy Wilson. I wish she would be forever banned. She mispronounces names like it’s her job. I also can’t stand Peter “as it relates to” Carruthers. (Am I the only person who gets annoyed at how he repeatedly and needlessly injects this phrase into every other sentence?)

What do you think?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I'm partial to "Uncle" Dickie, warts and all (love his knowledge, passion for the sport, and his humor), Paul Wylie, Peter Carruthers (for pairs, not for those ridiculous post skate interviews, especially if a skater had a tough skate), Susie Wynne, Tanith Belbin. I think Tara & Mike are doing a creditable job in their commentating, and I'd give them a chance to develop. As a lay commentator, I really like Terry Gannon, and am always happy to hear him on the broadcasts. I liked Verne Lundquist in the same role as Terry back in the days when CBS did figure skating coverage.

I'm coming into this with a US perspective, since I can't really speak for the European commentators, etc.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
we've had this discussion many times before...

favorites for me are Terry Gannon, Kurt Browning, Peter Carruthers, Paul Wylie, Scott Hamilton (yes I said it), Michael Weiss, Tara Lipinski, Judy Blumberg, Tanith Belbin, Rod Black (yes that one too), Verne Lundquist, David Pelletier... those are the ones off the top of my head.

jcoates

Medalist
I'd disagree about Terry Gannon being one of the commentators who bashed COP. As I recall, he has actually been fairly enthusiastic about it since its inception. He loved the fact that low placement in the short was no longer a barrier to victory after a brilliant long. He also seems to really love the fact the everything has a defined value.

I agree that Verne Lundquist was wonderful. An old pro in sports tv coverage (NCAA basketball, golf, NFL football), when he was moved over to skating in the early 90s, he took to it enthusiastically, unlike some of his colleagues. Like Terry, he clearly enjoyed not just the skating, but the people he worked with. He took the time to get to know the skaters as well. I remember a quote from him about gathering with a small group outside the arena to console Chen Lu at 1997 Worlds after her disastrous SP that year. CBS was not even calling that event (though he was likely there to scout it in prep for the 98 Olympics). Hearing him say that always left a very positive impression on me about his character and commitment to skating. He is very similar to Terry in that regard.

As to my faves, I adore Uncle Dick specifically because he is a curmudgeon. He's also usually right. Kurt has developed into a keen observer. I miss Paul Wylie. Judy Blumberg is fantastic, we need more of her. Suzie Wynne was also good. Paul Martini was good back in the day. But my fave is Tracy, Canadian inflection and all.

brightphoton

Medalist
Excellent commentators

I like those two Europsport guys. One of them usually tells you when he suspects a jump is rotated fully or not. It's so helpful when he points out that even with a fall, a jump can get a lot of credit if it is fully rotated, or little credit if it is underrotated. They also tell you about the second mark which sometimes cushions a performance marred by botched jumps. They also point out if they suspect a flip or lutz is taken off on the wrong edge, and why skaters will get a deduction for that. It's good to have commentators like that who explain CoP to the lay audience.

Good commentators

Tara Lipinski had a rocky start, but after a year or two, she's become quite good. She gives insight why a skater might be skating badly, or how their training affects them. I'd like her to be more informative.

SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! commentators

Scott Hamilton never has anything of worth to say, only commentating on a skater's face and personality. "She's the most beautiful skater!" "She has so much spunk and energy!" The woman who usually is his partner is equally insightful. "This skater's other hobbies include reading, spending time with friends, and basketweaving." "Ouch! That fall looks like it hurts." They also feel that if a skater is botching their jumps, then it's okay to talk nonstop so you can't hear the music or concentrate on the performance.

Becki

Medalist
Excellent commentators

I like those two Europsport guys. One of them usually tells you when he suspects a jump is rotated fully or not. It's so helpful when he points out that even with a fall, a jump can get a lot of credit if it is fully rotated, or little credit if it is underrotated. They also tell you about the second mark which sometimes cushions a performance marred by botched jumps. They also point out if they suspect a flip or lutz is taken off on the wrong edge, and why skaters will get a deduction for that. It's good to have commentators like that who explain CoP to the lay audience.

Good commentators

Tara Lipinski had a rocky start, but after a year or two, she's become quite good. She gives insight why a skater might be skating badly, or how their training affects them. I'd like her to be more informative.

SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! commentators

Scott Hamilton never has anything of worth to say, only commentating on a skater's face and personality. "She's the most beautiful skater!" "She has so much spunk and energy!" The woman who usually is his partner is equally insightful. "This skater's other hobbies include reading, spending time with friends, and basketweaving." "Ouch! That fall looks like it hurts." They also feel that if a skater is botching their jumps, then it's okay to talk nonstop so you can't hear the music or concentrate on the performance.

I agree with the Eurosport guys! Only annoying thing is how they keep mispronouncing daisuke's name after all these years...it is Dice-K not Daisuki.....

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Dick Button is the number one for me. I loved his knowledge and brilliantness. Also, Kurt Browning. Johnny Weir was too biased.

The trouble is it's so hard to find a commentator who does not constantly sprinkle salt on CoP wounds in US. To me, it's one of the big reasons hurting US figure skating market. CoP is not perfect. There are plenty positive ways to help the current judging system than babbling on TV and sending messages to American public. Don't know what these commentators were thinking about? Do they want more population see this sport which they've dedicated to, some of them for life, as baloney or something?!

ivy

On the Ice
yeah - I like Tara too - though she seems to favor young skaters over older ones (maybe I'm just reading between the lines too much, she was super up on Liza and down on Alissa at TEB). Michael Weiss is good too. And I was never fans of either as skaters.

Peter Carruthers is so inarticulate - ughh - and he's had the most practice. Terry Gannon know more, or at least is able to convey more, meaningful insight - without a background in skating.

I've really liked Paul Wylie, and I miss him now that ESPN isn't doing any skating. I enjoy Susie Wynne and Tracy Wilson, who seem to give a lot of helpful detail about ice dancing. I haven't heard Judy Blumberg, alas. Tara is growing on me, and I'm glad to see her gaining proficiency in this. Not that it's any of my business, but I've been sorry that she hadn't seemed to find a real vocation, either in skating or in another field. Now I think she's on a good path. She has a nicely modulated voice, and she's starting to give good details. I enjoy Kurt when I've had the opportunity to hear him. I'm sorry I missed Paul Martini's time at the microphone.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
For me:

1. British Eurosport
2. Russian Eurosport (he only introduces each skater, pair, or dance team)
3. Dick Button
4. Terry Gannon
5. Verne Lundquist
6. Judy Blumberg

Although she is knowledgeable, I'd rather not listen to Debbie Wilkes.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic and PJ Kwong :biggrin: :mad::bang:

but well , not joking now whose the name of the british guy euroepost commentator ???
I think he is the best !!! , he gives you information about what went wrong when skaters makes an error
at the same time he gives them all their positive sides of their overall skating.

jcoates

Medalist
Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic and PJ Kwong :biggrin: :mad::bang:

but well , not joking now whose the name of the british guy euroepost commentator ???
I think he is the best !!! , he gives you information about what went wrong when skaters makes an error
at the same time he gives them all their positive sides of their overall skating.

There are three British Eurosport guys.

Nicky Slater is likely who you are thinking of. He was an ice dancer in the 80s with Karen Barber. They were a wonderful mid top 10 dance team and were British silver medalists behind Torvill and Dean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR6A_uMU0mI

The second guys is Chris Howarth. He was the #2 Brit behind Robin Cousins internationally. He actually won British nats in 1980.

The third guy is the color commentator, Simon Reed. He's like the Al Michaels of Dick Enberg of Eurosport. He's called everything.

ivy

On the Ice
.it is Dice-K not Daisuki.....

Is it really only 2 syllables? I always say di ce KAY with ce sort of slurred into the di if that makes sense, but still 3 sounds - maybe more like di,ss KAY. I have no background in Japanese and no authority to speak on this - just wondering

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
There are three British Eurosport guys.

Nicky Slater is likely who you are thinking of. He was an ice dancer in the 80s with Karen Barber. They were a wonderful mid top 10 dance team and were British silver medalists behind Torvill and Dean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR6A_uMU0mI

The second guys is Chris Howarth. He was the #2 Brit behind Robin Cousins internationally. He actually won British nats in 1980.

The third guy is the color commentator, Simon Reed. He's like the Al Michaels of Dick Enberg of Eurosport. He's called everything.

thank you for giving the name
yes, I'm talking about Nicky Slater

Nicky is the Best :)

ivy said:
Is it really only 2 syllables? I always say di ce KAY with ce sort of slurred into the di if that makes sense, but still 3 sounds - maybe more like di,ss KAY. I have no background in Japanese and no authority to speak on this - just wondering.

Here it is spoken by a Japanese person. (Click on the little blue triangle. :) ) To my ear there is a slight lingering over the a-i in "dai," as well as an unstressed "su" at the beginning of "suke"

http://www.forvo.com/word/takahashi_daisuke/

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

My favorite British Eurosport guy would be Christ Howarth :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
My favorite British Eurosport guy would be Christ Howarth :)

the only problem I have Nicky is that he has some problems pronouncing some of skaters names like with Elizaveta

he calls her Elibetta Tuktakyshva or Elibetta Tuktamishva :confused: