Who are your all-time favorite ice dancers? | Golden Skate

Who are your all-time favorite ice dancers?

verte76

On the Ice
My all-rime favorite ice dancers are Torvill and Dean snd I'd love to get them on dVD!

I hear you, verte76! I had a bunch of commercial skating videos, but there are virtually no DVD versions of them, or more recent DVDs. At one point NBC Sports had plans to produce DVDs of the 2010 Olympics, but they canceled. Grrrr! I know there's the Rise documentary about the 1961 team, and also the Nationals competition of that year. But for example there was a beautiful production of The Planets released on video, several ABC Sports compilations of Magic Memories on Ice, some Olympics compilations, and others.

Torvill and Dean certainly are on my list of top favorites. Others include Klimova/Ponomarenko, Denkova/Staviskiy, Rahkamo/Kokko, and the two current top pairs of Virtue/Moir and Davis/White.

Antilles

Medalist
Of those that are retired: Anissina&Peizerat, Klimova&Ponomarenko, Drobiaszko&Vanagas, Krylova&Ovsiannokoff, The Duscheneys, Dubreuil&Lauzon, Denkova&Staviski, Rahkammo&Kokko, Usova&Zhulin, Torvill&Dean

Of the current crop: Virtue&Moir, Davis&White, Pechalat&Bourzat, Cappellini&Lanotte. I won't add any of those to the "all-time" list until I've had a chance to see their entire careers.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Going back to 84, not before, T&D, Also Usova and Zhulin. Bourne and Kraatz were great and cheated out of many a medal. There were many good US dance teams but I feel the style was so imitative of the Russians/Europeans that they get forgotten except by the true ice dance enthusiasts. I liked many US teams, Punsalen and Swallow and their rivals whose name escapes me right now. Also Naomi and Peter were and still are a lovely team. Now my three faves are the Canton couples, Marlie, Voir and the Shibutanis. And of course the pair that came first, Tanith and Ben.

Are you citing them as favorites, Math, or mentioning them as Punsalan/Swallow's rivals? I'd include Roca and Sur also as rivals of P/S.

I did enjoy R/S, even more as pro skaters than as eligible skaters. And how could I have forgotten Anissina and Piezerat?

Favorites.:) They weren't really rivals of anyone because Jamie's career was cut short by health issues. She could have been one of the all-time greats, IMHO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gregory & Petukhov, Torvill & Dean, Belbin & Agosto, Roca & Sur (love me some Gorsha :love: ), Usova & Platov, Drobiaszko & Vanagas, Pechalat & Bourzat, Bourne & Kraatz (pre Morosov), Lang & Tchernychev, Shibutanis...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks guys, came back when Roca-Sur came up to see them mentioned and like Olympia I thought they were fabulous as pros. They were by far my favorite SOI dance team all those years. Renee was to die for with her lines and yes Toni, Gorsha Sur was one stunning man!

Favorites.:) They weren't really rivals of anyone because Jamie's career was cut short by health issues. She could have been one of the all-time greats, IMHO.

I agree with you. She was so expressive. Her departure from skating was way too premature.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So many!

Torvill & Dean, Klimova & Ponamorenko, Punsallan & Swallow, Delobel & Schoenfelder, Bourne & Kraatz, Moniotte & Lavanchy,
Roca & Sur, Naomi & Peter, Navarro & Bonmentre, Melissa & Denis, Tanith & Ben, Meryl & Charlie, The Shibutanis, Dubreuil & Lauzon, Wing & Lowe, the Kerrs, Denkova & Stavisky, Faiella & Scali, Pechelat & Bourzat, The Duchenays, Rakhomo & Kokko, Usova & Zhulin, Krylova & Ovsiannikov, the Zaretskys

luckystar

Spectator
Bourne and Kratz! Torvil and Dean are a close second though.

This was a hard choice. Both teams were my favourites!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Bourne and Kraatz
Navarro and Bommentre
Belbin and Agosto
Krylova and Ovsiannikov
Anissina and Peizerat
Pechalat and Bourzat

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Denkova & Staviski, Delobel & Schoenfelder, Bourne & Kraatz, Belbin & Agosto, Lang & Tchernyshev, Anissina & Peizerat :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In no particular order:

Moiseeva & Minenkov
Regoeczy & Sallay
Torvill & Dean
Grishuk & Platov (especially their freedance from 1997 Europeans)
Moniotte & Lavanchy
Anissina & Peizerat
Denkova & Staviski

Regarding the current skaters, the jury is still out.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Oh, so many.

It was the Duchesnays, Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Usova/Zhulin who got me fascinated by the sport.
Have to include Torvill/Dean and Rahkomo/Kokko as well.

Others I've had a soft spot for:
Blumberg/Seibert
Anissina/Peizerat
Denkova/Staviyski

I could name more

I remember once dreaming that Delobel/Schoenfelder were my third favorite French ice dance team. When I woke up, I was amused that that was actually correct (see other French teams listed above)

Vash01

Medalist
At the top of my list are Klimova-Ponomarenko. No other ice dance team combined technical perfection with such passion on the ice. Their Tchaikovsky 5th symphony (pro) is one of my most favorite ice dances ever. Their Bach FD (92) is one of the best ice dances ever.

Others:

Torville-Dean (I loved their creativity, and of course Bolero)
Grishchuk-Platov (incredible speed and difficulty in their programs)
Usova-Zhulin (balletic positions and lines)
Krylova-Ovssianikov (what a pity their career ended early due to Anjelika's injury; I loved their long lines and passion)
Annenko-Sretenski (gorgeous lines, deep edges)

More recently:

David & White are my most favorite
Virtue-Moir are a close second
Delobel-Schoenfelder (for their creativity)