Patrick Chan | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
skater boy, what took you so long to come play with us here?! Can you do an anime sketch of Patrick in the attire you described? That would be so awesome!

(Patrick enjoying some anime)

As for the story Paddy told of being walked in on while naked, there have been assumptions made. He grabbed a computer to cover himself in a pinch, but I think it was just handy. If he was so shy about being seen naked, he wouldn't have stayed naked using the computer. Probably was changing clothes or getting out of a shower. But what do I know? I wasn't there. Not sure he would have appreciated me walking in and greeted me with a manly "Hey!" :laugh:

Channeling Pierre Elliot Trudeau is not a bad idea. He was always so dapper, with that red rose in his lapel, more of a rose bud though, not a big one like what Patrick wears here, and especially not like the bouquets worn by Colin McAllister (or Justin Ryan? I don't think so) which got bigger and bigger as their decorating show went on. :laugh:

noskates, not everybody is a Daisuke fan but it's OK. All Patrick fans are welcomed here whomever they also adore.

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
Welcome noskates!

Wow, so excited to finally have the confirmation for who's choreographing his programs. Now the wait begins till we find out the music and finally see them!!! Looking forward to this season, I really think it's going to be one of great growth for Patrick and who knows, dare I say, maybe he'll even gain a few more fans.

As for the hair, and I know some of you are going to be :no::no:, but I just love him with his hair short and cropped, it shows off his great smile. Long on him.........meh, too straight and thin and he's not the type of dude who plays around with tons of hair product.....and I honestly think he'd look odd like that lol.

spikydurian

Medalist
Emdee said:
its a very effective threat especially when we decide to move to other parts of his body
Skatefiguring said:
Will we run out of body parts before the musical mysteries of 2012 are solved?
It’s working Emdee and SF. We won’t run out of body parts if we divide them into smaller parts like right leg and left leg instead of legs. :biggrin:

noskates, spikydurian is an Aussie so she talks funny. Puppies and babies are the same to them there, at least their cute fat is
Yeah noskates. Aussies talk funny because we live among and communicate with koalas, kangaroos, wombats and platypus. Come down south to Down Under for a holiday and you will agree. Cross border communication can be hazardous. :p

Skatefiguring said:
As for the story Paddy told of being walked in on while naked, there have been assumptions made. He grabbed a computer to cover himself in a pinch, but I think it was just handy. If he was so shy about being seen naked, he wouldn't have stayed naked using the computer. Probably was changing clothes or getting out of a shower. But what do I know? I wasn't there. Not sure he would have appreciated me walking in and greeted me with a manly "Hey!"
You wish! :laugh:

noskates, not everybody is a Daisuke fan but it's OK. All Patrick fans are welcomed here whomever they also adore
Most of us are fans of more than one skater. So long you like Patrick too like us, please drop by for cyber discussion/chit-chat any time.

SGrand said:
I really think it's going to be one of great growth for Patrick
SGrand, I hope so too. Patrick is taking a risk in moving on to unfamiliar ground in order to grow, and some of us fans are concerned but let us trust his judgment and of those who love and surround him. Where there is no risk, there is no gain.

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
Spikydurian:
Totally agree! He seems to know what he wants and how to do it, has showed us that over the past few years. It's scary, but I'm excited for him!

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Yes, the risk Patrick is taking now may not pay off immediately, but he is so determined to grow that it will pay off eventually I think. You all know he always starts the season off tentatively and builds. This is what I'm sure will happen. He works hard and manages to pull it off in the end.

emdee

Final Flight
This is really about Dai but effects Patrick:
Why is Dai going to Morozov if Lori has done his programs?
Could it be because he found Lori's programs too complex though COP friendly?
Last year he kind of watered down Camerlengo's LP as the season progressed.
Patrick at no point watered it down he tried to stay true to the tough choreo and as a result lost concentration and fell.

I really enjoy Dai as a show skater but I dont think he has Patrick's complexity.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
This is really about Dai but effects Patrick:
Why is Dai going to Morozov if Lori has done his programs?
Could it be because he found Lori's programs too complex though COP friendly?
Last year he kind of watered down Camerlengo's LP as the season progressed.
Patrick at no point watered it down he tried to stay true to the tough choreo and as a result lost concentration and fell.

I really enjoy Dai as a show skater but I dont think he has Patrick's complexity.

In answer to your questions-

We don't know yet in what capacity Dai will be involved with Morozov. Right now it is all rumor until
we hear an official announcement. I don't see how Dai's presumed coaching change would effect Patrick at all.
Patrick is at the top of his game and any decision by Dai or his team will not effect Patrick at all.

Why would you even think that Lori's programs would be to complex for Dai?

As to your other questions I have no comment.

noskates

Record Breaker
Spikydurian - VERY familiar with Aussies. My son played rugby, toured Australia and NZ, and made some life-long friends. They've visited us several times.

Dai aside, I'm still standing on my comment that Patrick is going to beat him in every way this coming year no matter who is coaching him. But I would also wonder why someone would think Lori Nichols' programs would be too complex for Dai. I do think her programs are more lyrical and free-flowing and maybe not as aggressive and athletic as what Dai is used to. Is that what you meant?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Lori is a pro and she always insists on designing a program to fit and showcase a skater's skills, refusing to incorporate any element not yet acquired but promised. She tells them to come back to her when they have actually acquired the skills. Patrick's programs were complex because he was capable and wanted to push to his limit. In 2010-11 season, he and his coach asked Lori to keep in mind the possibility of adding another quad to his LP later in the season and they went back to have the second quad choreographed into the program. If Dai and Lori do work together, I'm sure she will design a program that suits his skills and style. It's not like she will use a Patrick template for Daisuke. They are both professional and top tier talents and they will get it right. Except there has not been any report of them having actually worked together yet. Nothing can be taken for granted this off season!

For levity, J10 twitted about this as exactly what he felt like:

TRYING TO DO A LEVEL 4 FOOTWORK SEQUENCE :rofl:

This blogger uses hilarious images :laugh: to express her emotions as a skater, and evidently many skaters can relate and have enjoyed them. :thumbsup: :cool:

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
Yes, the risk Patrick is taking now may not pay off immediately, but he is so determined to grow that it will pay off eventually I think. You all know he always starts the season off tentatively and builds. This is what I'm sure will happen. He works hard and manages to pull it off in the end.

Yes, Ravensque. Tis a season of changes for some elite skaters and fans are going berserk with worries. Change is often worrying when the past seems to have worked well. I can understand the worries of fans of other skaters besides us.

IMO, assuming Patrick does intend to retire after Sochi as he has always indicated his desire to further his education, and since he wants to continue to grow, now is the time to try to get out of his comfort zone. At least after this season, he will have a clearer picture of what will work and what will not, and then move on to full preparation for Sochi in 2013. It seems reasonable and logical to me. Personally, I would love to see him explore the artistic side of figure skating since Patrick is athlete first and artist second (he has confessed in interviews that he doesn’t dance) and watch him do his best before his retirement. At least in years to come, I can say ‘I have watched the growth of one of the best skaters in current times’. I recalled reading an article that during his years with Coulson, Coulson had encouraged him to try learning from other coaches too. That struck me as one coach who wanted the best for his protégé and was not afraid to let go. I am sure Patrick appreciated what Coulson had given him besides his edges. The intangibles are hard to see and measure.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Yes spikydurianWith age comes wisdom, and Coulson was very wise. He probably knew he wouldn't be around when Patrick was at his utmost potential, but he laid the groundwork for him and passed his knowledge and wisdom on...as best he could....cudos to the man indeed.

spikydurian

Medalist
VERY familiar with Aussies. My son played rugby, toured Australia and NZ, and made some life-long friends. They've visited us several times.
You are my neighbour? Rugby is only popular in some countries. ;)

Dai aside, I'm still standing on my comment that Patrick is going to beat him in every way this coming year no matter who is coaching him. But I would also wonder why someone would think Lori Nichols' programs would be too complex for Dai. I do think her programs are more lyrical and free-flowing and maybe not as aggressive and athletic as what Dai is used to. Is that what you meant?
Much as I am a Patrick fan, I am not delusional. :biggrin: No one is unbeatable particularly in figure skating. It is so demanding with little room for errors. Unlike team sports, if one feels down but team mates are playing well, the team can still win. Unfortunately, not figure skating. Dai is an accomplished skater and has as good chance in winning gold and so do a few other elite skaters if they bring their best on during the competition.

Yes SkaterBoy, I can imagine Patrick playing computer games with JinSeo. ;)

Shall we make guesses on what short of music will DW and JB use for Patrick's programs? :p

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I had a dream or was it a night mare. Patrick was skating to the wizard of oz and playing the cowardly lion. At least it allows him to work on his performance side in reaching the audience. Thinking about it with a fresh mind since V and M did FF maybe D and W could do the Wizard of Oz - dorothy and the tinman or something. But speaking of Patrick. I think he should spend a bit of time on his spins getting full levels, speed and variation - easier said then done. He has almost maxed himself out I think with jumps - I guess trading perhaps a triple lutz with say a quad sal or flip. I thought it was brilliant of him and Kristy to come up withe the triple lutz halfloop triple salchow to avoid the sequence deduction and since a double toe isn't worth much anyways.Areas Patrick can improve on: artistry and performance, spins, one more quad and skating clean and getting a technical coach. As for costumes they are fine, not the best but not ugly or jarring and he seems to understand - no spandex and watch the sparkle factor and too many feathers and people may want him to fly away or as my dad would say "Feathers are for birds not people - unless you are doing Big Bird on ice feathers should be avoided - although I read in a book that Katarina Witt added feathers to her crotch area on her costume to avoid indiecent allegations. Fortunately, Patty doesn't have that problem :) :) :)

emdee

Final Flight
When Katarina Witt skated the costume violations were huge and for smallest things too. These days they are pretty liberal.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
''Dreams on Ice'' in Japan ended at last this afternoon.

I could not go to the show, so I checked through blogs and tweets by many figure skating fans who were lucky enough to see Patrick live.
According to their reports, there were lots of Canadian flags and his fans in tne venue, and of course he had standing ovation!
And not a few people, especially who watched his performance live for the first time, seemed to be awe-struck by his exceptional skating and intricate edge work with outstanding flow and speed.
Some of them were complaining of the rink, as it was obviously too small for him to skate freely:laugh:

I'm soooooo happy to say the number of his Japanese fans is growing every time he skates in Japan, even though he is a biggest rival of Takahashi and other Japanese male skaters!