Patrick Chan | Page 95 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
ETA: Who else won three World title in a row in Mens discipline, btw? I hope blue feels much better now, me remembering his/her avator. ;) Because I, for instance, am rather glad to realize that the 'dreadful' pre-Olympic season's nearing to its end for some skaters and its fans. Am looking forward to seeing and enjoying bb's comments more often in the new season. :yes: My apology for a bit OT, guys. ;)

Thank you, deedee! I wouldn't go to Takahashi Fan thread again. But thank you for coming here to Patrick Chan thread! I know Patrick thread is friendly and open for everyone.:yes: I miss your translations about Takahashi and other Japanese skaters! Update for us often, preferably in the Edge section, will you? I mean if you have time.:)

I haven't said congratulations to Patrick yet. Let me do so now. It is wonderful to have the World title for the third time! Even though I have different views on his decisions, I cannot deny that Patrick is an extraordinary talent! I don't know what would be for him next season but I'm just wishing that he'd get that piece of glory in the end.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yes, congratulations to Patrick Chan! I think this year, he absolutely and without a doubt deserved the title. I have other favourites, but I felt horrible for him when he began to make those mistakes in his long. You could see how bad he himself felt about it afterwards. :cry: Fans can be a bit harsh, but I cannot understand how anyone can deny that he derved his win here - as if the fantastic sp and the amazing quads never happened. Do people really have such a bad short time memory? I enjoyed his programs this year - he will keep them, right?

spikydurian

Medalist
I was thrilled to be there. Patrick was very classy, admitted that it wasn't whathe wanted and apologized. But then thanked the fans for lifting him. What more can he say? And yes, there will be tons of hating and attacking when Sochi happens so I'm going to stay away from the haters and hang out with the ubers. Much more fun! I wonder if this kind of thing is as extreme amongst bobsled or snowboarding fans!
I don't think we can change the haters' mindset. I do believe these people just had too much venom in themselves that they need to spit as they see fit. PJ Kwong is right. Figure skating is not a club sport. Figure skaters are not paid by clubs to skate. Their parents foot the bills. They don't owe the audience a living to subject themselves to that extreme abuse. Although I am a Patrick, never once do I think he owes me a living to skate the way I want him too. I am a fan because I admire his skating skills. People forget that without these skaters, there won't be figure skating competitions. No reasonable parent will encourage their children to take up a sport if they deem abuse and rough play is common.

I think Patrick truly appreciates the crowd's support and understanding. I am sure he badly want to do the best but we all know ice is slippery and however good we are, we cannot be absolutely sure that we will NEVER make mistakes.

Interesting. Is verbal abuse common among bobsled and snowboarding fans? ;)

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I don't think we can change the haters' mindset. I do believe these people just had too much venom in themselves that they need to spit as they see fit. PJ Kwong is right. Figure skating is not a club sport. Figure skaters are not paid by clubs to skate. Their parents foot the bills. They don't owe the audience a living to subject themselves to that extreme abuse. Although I am a Patrick, never once do I think he owes me a living to skate the way I want him too. I am a fan because I admire his skating skills. People forget that without these skaters, there won't be figure skating competitions. No reasonable parent will encourage their children to take up a sport if they deem abuse and rough play is common.

I think Patrick truly appreciates the crowd's support and understanding. I am sure he badly want to do the best but we all know ice is slippery and however good we are, we cannot be absolutely sure that we will NEVER make mistakes.

Interesting. Is verbal abuse common among bobsled and snowboarding fans? ;)
Thanks, spikeydurian. Good to know that there are kindred spirits here!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I've had neither time nor proclivity to read all the opportunistic trashing in the expected Chan bashing frenzy. I can't spare my energy for such negative distractions these days. I knew Patrick would win but not how. Certainly this is not his or my preferred way of winning but it's a rightful win nonetheless.

As soon as Patrick's face was shown close-up before the LP, I sensed an unease and not the confident focus I'd like to see. But as he landed two gorgeous quads right off the top, I thought he would do really well after all. Then the shocking fall on one of his best jumps really threw him off for the rest of the program. At an event of poor performances by all top Men, Denis Ten stole the show and Patrick won on his SP and those 3 beautiful quads. Congrats to both and of course to Fernandez. Both Denis and Javier won Worlds medals for the first time for their countries, :clap: making this event remarkable and memorable after all.

Through observation I will stay with my opinion that Patrick's problems this year are not technical, particularly on his jumps, but mental as well choreography related. I still hope his Olympic program(s) will be choreographed by Lori Nichol and believe he will find his balance this coming season and rise in his up wave to Sochi.

I even think he will stay after next year's Olympics, :) dominating the sport until all the detractors are shut up.

Kuan

Final Flight
Ui, ui... Patrick wants to keep his Sp for next season und will have a new long. I thought it was exactly the other way! Which piece will it be?!? Has he mentioned earlier what his favorite pieces used to be? :think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWI0JUa4Ls0 (It is an interview with PJ :))

SGrand

Final Flight
I've had neither time nor proclivity to read all the opportunistic trashing in the expected Chan bashing frenzy. I can't spare my energy for such negative distractions these days. I knew Patrick would win but not how. Certainly this is not his or my preferred way of winning but it's a rightful win nonetheless.

As soon as Patrick's face was shown close-up before the LP, I sensed an unease and not the confident focus I'd like to see. But as he landed two gorgeous quads right off the top, I thought he would do really well after all. Then the shocking fall on one of his best jumps really threw him off for the rest of the program. At an event of poor performances by all top Men, Denis Ten stole the show and Patrick won on his SP and those 3 beautiful quads. Congrats to both and of course to Fernandez. Both Denis and Javier won Worlds medals for the first time for their countries, :clap: making this event remarkable and memorable after all.

Through observation I will stay with my opinion that Patrick's problems this year are not technical, particularly on his jumps, but mental as well choreography related. I still hope his Olympic program(s) will be choreographed by Lori Nichol and believe he will find his balance this coming season and rise in his up wave to Sochi.

I even think he will stay after next year's Olympics, :) dominating the sport until all the detractors are shut up.

Oh I hope he sticks around, but I wouldn't blame him for leaving, what with everything that's transpired since worlds. I'd feel bad for any skater to have to deal with this kind of hatred. These kids and young adults are not the million dollar athletes of football, baseball, hockey and basketball.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh I hope he sticks around, but I wouldn't blame him for leaving, what with everything that's transpired since worlds. I'd feel bad for any skater to have to deal with this kind of hatred. These kids and young adults are not the million dollar athletes of football, baseball, hockey and basketball.
I share your sentiments. There are currently at least THREE threads that are almost entirely dedicated to how "awful" Patrick is as a person and/or skater. Scott Moir got one recently too. I don't mind the critiques of Patrick's skating or even the judging quite as much, but commenting on his media comments just seems like overkill to me. I'm not a fan of Plushenko and never have been, but I hardly care about his media comments (certainly never enough to post hateful comments about him on the internet). My attitude has always been to let the skating do the talking and the results will fall where they may. Seriously, do people really feel such a need to dissect everything a skater says and does? Besides various separate threads, there are the competition threads themselves which are also full of venom. I wouldn't mind Patrick retiring from competitive skating after Sochi just so people will have less reason to constantly hate him. After he retires, the haters will (hopefully) learn to ignore him while we ubers are left to find and enjoy every show program in peace. :)

spikydurian

Medalist
OMG... the hatred threads will abound. On second thoughts, it will be amusing to watch the hysteria and bitching ... like headless chooks (as one poster put it in another forum). Very apt! :biggrin:

No Kuan. No mention about the music and choreographer. But quite sure it will be someone who has worked with him before because it doesn't make sense to get a new choreographer now. He said.. it will be a favourite music of his. Unfortunately, we will have to wait a few more moons to know the new LP and choreographer. Hey Guru, is your crystal ball working well? :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
After he retires, the haters will (hopefully) learn to ignore him while we ubers are left to find and enjoy every show program in peace. :)

Peace is within yourself, all the time.

OMG... the hatred threads will abound. On second thoughts, it will be amusing to watch the hysteria and bitching ... like headless chooks (as one poster put it in another forum). Very apt! :biggrin:

Hatred and anger are poisons people ingest, thinking that they will kill their hate targets. You may choose to feel sorry for them or be amused. What drama!

Hey Guru, is your crystal ball working well? :)

Clearly. ;)

eta: Hey Spiky, I had to look up chook to confirm it was what I thought it meant. So, another Aussie Patrick fan? Australia Bureau is growing!

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Yes, congratulations to Patrick Chan! I think this year, he absolutely and without a doubt deserved the title. I have other favourites, but I felt horrible for him when he began to make those mistakes in his long. You could see how bad he himself felt about it afterwards. :cry: Fans can be a bit harsh, but I cannot understand how anyone can deny that he derved his win here - as if the fantastic sp and the amazing quads never happened. Do people really have such a bad short time memory? I enjoyed his programs this year - he will keep them, right?

ITA!!! I'm a little late to say this, but let me say congratulations on Patrick's hat trick:clap:
I believe he truly deserves to win. His perfect SP and those two incredible quads he nailed at his FP, his superior skating skills (and also a little luck) earned him this win.
His main rivals, Javier and Yuzuru had their own problems both at SP and FP and could not bring their A game. Only Denis exerted his potential to the full extent and earned huge PCS, but could not surpass Patrick's overall strength in skating, that's all.

Japanese media didn't criticize his win (perhaps because they were relieved at Japanese men's three spots at Sochi). Only Reuter's article was intoroduced by a few media.
A Japanese quality paper wrote Chan had showed his overall strength of having various sources to earn lots of points, highly praising his two gorgeous quads and smooth skating with full of variety and speed between elements.

spikydurian, you've said it:agree:

spikydurian

Medalist
Japanese media didn't criticize his win (perhaps because they were relieved at Japanese men's three spots at Sochi). Only Reuter's article was intoroduced by a few media.
A Japanese quality paper wrote Chan had showed his overall strength of having various sources to earn lots of points, highly praising his two gorgeous quads and smooth skating with full of variety and speed between elements.
Thanks Aprilsnowy for the update in Japan. Much appreciated. I think the Japanese media in taking the the cool calm manner towards the competition. Anyway, I find the Japanese audience very gracious (like Canada's). :)
Will you be attending the WTT?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I had a dream last night clearly indicating Patrick will overcome the derision and ridicules. It was really funny. :biggrin:

Aprilsnowy, thank you for the report on the Japanese media's attitude and stance. I believe theirs is the perspective of people who respect and appreciate the sport.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Thanks Aprilsnowy for the update in Japan. Much appreciated. I think the Japanese media in taking the the cool calm manner towards the competition. Anyway, I find the Japanese audience very gracious (like Canada's). :)
Will you be attending the WTT?

I've given up such an idea of watching Patrick's performance live either on TV or at the venue since I attended JO last fall:disapp:
Every time I watched his skating live at a competition, his result was a disaster. Perhaps I am a kind of jinx to him:cry:
But I'd like to attend a show he joins once again!

As for the Japanese audience, I'm afraid to say not all of them are well-mannered and show some respect to their favorite's opponents.
I totally agreed with PJ's comments before the Worlds and was so impressed with Canadian audience's attitude towards each competitor, especially towards their own skaters' rivals.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
I had a dream last night clearly indicating Patrick will overcome the derision and ridicules. It was really funny. :biggrin:

Aprilsnowy, thank you for the report on the Japanese media's attitude and stance. I believe theirs is the perspective of people who respect and appreciate the sport.

My pleasure:)

Though Japanese TV commentators reporting the Worlds were surprised at Patrick's falls after hitting two perfect quads at FP, they seemed to take it for granted he won gold in the end, saying he did it thanks to his big lead at SP and his high-level execution of each element as well as his superior skating skills.

I was happy to hear their sensible and logical comments:clap:

figuristka

Medalist
Patrick worked on his artistry this season which you can clearly see in his movements, after receiving criticism after last years Worlds as Dai is such a dancer on the ice. This year he has criticism again for his mistakes in his LP. Hopefully Patrick works hard on his consistency for competition. I would love him to have a technical coach in Detroit too if he moves there. Thankyou for the comments about the Japanese commentators. Seems the Japanese media and skaters are quite respectful.