Patrick Chan | Page 591 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

noskates

Record Breaker
I have met quite a few skaters over the years and have to say that Patrick Chan has to be one of the most polite, humble and sweetest and probably in the top 3 of my favorites. (Kurt, Jason and Patrick) Happy Birthday Patrick.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have met quite a few skaters over the years and have to say that Patrick Chan has to be one of the most polite, humble and sweetest and probably in the top 3 of my favorites. (Kurt, Jason and Patrick) Happy Birthday Patrick.

I have to agree with you on all points. I'm confused about the birthday wish though, Patrick's birthday was December 31.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Gosh, I have missed Patrick's skating! I enjoy many skaters and I'm even moved by their performances, but literally no one else skates like Patrick. The edges, the smoothness, the glide, how easy he makes it all look! That video from Nepal has such beautiful scenery and Patrick added to the beauty. He didn't jump at all and I was still entranced. I am so thankful that Patrick is the skater he is. It occurred to me more than once this season that I'm glad he's not competing anymore because we would get 30 less seconds in the LP and it might look more frantic even for Patrick. 4:30 was better for Patrick to showcase his skills, probably. Who knows.

It's so nice to see several new posts in this thread again. I want to bring this here. It's the broadcast version of The Great Escape/To Build a Home from 2019 CSOI. Just listen to those edges!!! Listen to his blades carve into the ice. This is what figure skating means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWAeaMskiJ0

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am the same..

i have always been a fan of the sport... going from a fave to another fave... i was crazy about kurt but then loved jeff and then patrick... and if i do like joseph and roman now... chen, shoma or even aliev.... there is nobody who can skate like Patrick... the swissssssh sounds, the turns, the glide... it's heaven on ice every time....

i am not sure patrick would have been disadvantaged by the new rules as he would have certainly gotten +4 and +5 on most elements... 30 seconds less but also one jump less.. and lately, judges no longer giving pcs like candy when it's not deserved... i think a clean patrick like his chopin at 4cc would have been competitive even without the exotic quads... but it's okay... i am almost done grieving now... lol... so give me a break lol ...

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
i am the same..

i have always been a fan of the sport... going from a fave to another fave... i was crazy about kurt but then loved jeff and then patrick... and if i do like joseph and roman now... chen, shoma or even aliev.... there is nobody who can skate like Patrick... the swissssssh sounds, the turns, the glide... it's heaven on ice every time....

i am not sure patrick would have been disadvantaged by the new rules as he would have certainly gotten +4 and +5 on most elements... 30 seconds less but also one jump less.. and lately, judges no longer giving pcs like candy when it's not deserved... i think a clean patrick like his chopin at 4cc would have been competitive even without the exotic quads... but it's okay... i am almost done grieving now... lol... so give me a break lol ...
First paragraph - :agree:

2nd paragraph - You're probably right. He struggled so much to go clean in his final season though. Mostly I'm relieved he is out of the quad race and the commentators can't say about him anymore, "this program won't keep up with the top skaters technically" or "beautiful skating but the tech is so low." Jason Brown gets enough grief for not having a quad, although they point out his PCS and high GOEs. Actually, what I'm relieved about is that Patrick doesn't feel stressed anymore by competition or its constraints or "keeping up." He can skate however he wants, do whatever jumps he wants, and even skate wherever he wants. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
First paragraph - :agree:

2nd paragraph - You're probably right. He struggled so much to go clean in his final season though. Mostly I'm relieved he is out of the quad race and the commentators can't say about him anymore, "this program won't keep up with the top skaters technically" or "beautiful skating but the tech is so low." Jason Brown gets enough grief for not having a quad, although they point out his PCS and high GOEs. Actually, what I'm relieved about is that Patrick doesn't feel stressed anymore by competition or its constraints or "keeping up." He can skate however he wants, do whatever jumps he wants, and even skate wherever he wants. ;)

funny how commentators call it right?

Patrick was on top of the game for so long doing two quads in his LP... + gorgeous programs... it's only when some brought two quads in the short that this stupid talk started... yet when you look at canadian nationals, only one skater brought two quads in the short and nobody but roman landed two in the long...

it's just that since he used to be on top, commentators and "fans" started to say " oh... he won't keep up " when others added the sal or the toe...

but now, we have a skater here with NO quads... and he is kept relevant aside those with 4-5 quads.... why? because he never had the quads??? so strange lol...

but you know, to get back to Patrick... and focus on him as this is a fan fest after all, he never had it easy out there... fans picked on him... commentators who had first praised him so much got tired of writing always the same article of praise... so some started dissing him.... inventing things... misquoting him..

anyways.. you are right... since we love Patrick so much : we can rejoice he is out of the circus :)

i just miss seeing his beautiful programs.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Over in the Jason Brown Fan Fest, as a positive distraction from world events, @Tavi is posting a video a day for people to watch and comment on, starting with Jason's first year in Seniors.

It would be great to have something similar here - anyone interested? @4everchan I'm sure would have some great recommendations....

I only discovered Patrick in 2016, so would love to learn more about his earlier skating.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Over in the Jason Brown Fan Fest, as a positive distraction from world events, @Tavi is posting a video a day for people to watch and comment on, starting with Jason's first year in Seniors.

It would be great to have something similar here - anyone interested? @4everchan I'm sure would have some great recommendations....

I only discovered Patrick in 2016, so would love to learn more about his earlier skating.

Great idea!

One of my all-time favourite programs: 2011 SP "Take Five."