Patrick Chan | Page 105 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
I am not Patrick but I think he should be adopting the attitude - skate my best and not worry about how others skate because you can control yourself but not others. Motivation is best from within. I trust Patrick and his team know what they are doing. Honestly, I will be worried if Patrick skated his best at SC or even TEB! He normally peaks around January.:) And I agree with Skatefiguring that it is not useful to compare marks across different competitions.

Dai had a great skate at NHK. Poor Fernandez didn't, But I certainly wouldn't write Fernandez off because of one bad skate. I didn't wrote Dai off with his bad skate at SA. ;) And I am sure Patrick does not see his peers in lesser light just that he needs to know what to do for himself in order to win a medal. skatingfan and coriana, let's have faith in Patrick and send him positive vibes. Ohmmmmmm :biggrin:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I have faith in him too!!! Patrick only needs one great competition this season and that's at the Olympics. Everything else is secondary. February is the time to peak this season. Sending many positive vibes Patrick's way. SC was a good start.

Let's write no one off because, as we all know, anything can happen at the Olympics. :yes:

emdee

Final Flight
Me three...total faith!

Now guru....when do we start chanting ohmmmm,.
I know spiky has started already

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
THIS WAS HEAVEN!!! :love: Fingers crossed that Patrick will skate like this in Sochi also!!! No big reaction - he looks extremely focused. His calmness is helping me to be calm. :) I'm so glad he kept Elegie for the Olympic season. Enjoy!

Patrick's 2013 TEB SP

emdee

Final Flight
Spiky,
I am sitting in the Porto hotel and gloating over Patrick's win.
Lucky to have Internet but then realized tht my tv showed it on Eurosport. Damn. Anyway shall try to see him on tv tomorrow.

I said plenty of ohmmmmmmm for both patty and VM.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Didn't I say Patrick can't be beat when he's mentally strong? More and more I appreciate his long term strategy of focusing on one aspect of his skating each season and he seems to have the last and the most important one, the mental, going well. Having pocketed the techniques then the artistry, he is learning to pull them out of his pockets whenever they are needed.

It takes determination and tenacity to carry out and stay on a long term plan, what with all the criticisms, malicious and well intentioned, along the way. Go Patrick. I always believe in you and support you in doing it the way you know is right for you. Pocket those winning feelings please.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I want to repeat my congrats here:

Congratulations Patrick, for smashing three World Records at one event, again.

I agree on you saving the 300 for the Olympics. :) :yes:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have no words. My only concern, as some people wrote in the competition thread, is whether Patrick has "peaked too soon." This TEB was probably the best competition he has ever put together. Again, no big reaction after the LP. He has that "just another day at the office" look this season and I like it. I am happiest that Patrick was able to execute the 3A and the 3S today, which seem to be his two trouble jumps. If only he could put this program in a bottle and take it to Sochi. I do think some of the jump landings could be a little bit smoother. Otherwise, this program was PERFECT!!! Here is the video and the best part is that there's no commentary. Just sit back and enjoy!

Patrick's 2013 TEB LP

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks for the Eurosport link to Patrick's LP, skatingfan. BTW, the commentator introduced Patrick 'from China'.:eek:

Skatefiguring said:
Congratulations Patrick, for smashing three World Records at one event, again.I agree on you saving the 300 for the Olympics
:agree: That would be wonderful!

skatingfan said:
My only concern, as some people wrote in the competition thread, is whether Patrick has "peaked too ."
:laugh: I have been through this road several times. If he doesn't skate well, we think he's in trouble. If he skates well, we think he peaks too soon. His skate is not yet 'perfect' so he hasn't really peaked yet. ;) Anyway, I really think 'peak' is often used to describe doing the right thing at the right time. IMO, so long he continues to train well and consistently, and be in the right mind frame the ride is as smooth as it can get. Have faith.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the Eurosport link to Patrick's LP, skatingfan. BTW, the commentator introduced Patrick 'from China'.

I have been through this road several times. If he doesn't skate well, we think he's in trouble. If he skates well, we think he peaks too soon. His skate is not yet 'perfect' so he hasn't really peaked yet. Anyway, I really think 'peak' is often used to describe doing the right thing at the right time. IMO, so long he continues to train well and consistently, and be in the right mind frame the ride is as smooth as it can get. Have faith.
:agree: No matter what, we ubers will be nervous for Patrick until he has the OGM around his neck. My faith is MUCH stronger after TEB! :biggrin:

I noticed the "from China" too. His parents are Chinese, but no way is he "from China." I had flashbacks of the hate he got before the 2011 GPF. That's a can of worms I never want to see opened again. :no:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I vowed that I wouldn't look at any of the competition threads this season, but alas, I was too curious not to. ;) Anyway, one particular post in the TEB Men's FS thread describes perfectly how I feel about Patrick's artistry. All credit to Ice Diva :bow:

What a glorious skate by Patrick. I differ in my view of artistry: some, like Takahashi project out to the audience, while skaters like Chan draw the audience in to him. With Kathy Johnson's help I see Patrick as a true artist -- he actually dances his programs and becomes one with the music. Instead of the flourishes, flapping arms & empty drama of some skaters, all Chan's movements are pure, controlled & minimal. I disagree he needs to work on his arms & shoulders (I know you didn't say that Bluebonnet, it was another poster). I see his arms as very balletic.

I really think there are different ways to be artistic. Some skaters emote outward through facial expressions while others are more reserved but their skating moves you nonetheless. Everyone has their own opinions as to what they enjoy and value about figure skating, which is why discussions can get so heated. I consider Patrick to be artistic and the most moving skater out there, but many others do not. I tend to think positively and post positively, which is why I hang out in the Fan Fest section so much. Ice Diva's post helped me to appreciate anew what I have always loved about figure skating. In figure skating, there is room for many types of personalities and many types of skating. Incidentally, my favorite Dai program is Blues for Klook and I don't think that Patrick could have pulled it off like Dai did. It was a fabulous and original program, and although I didn't like it at first, I came to appreciate it over time. I appreciate each skater for their strengths and what they bring to the ice.