Patrick Chan | Page 108 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

SGrand

Final Flight
A belated thank you and welcome, Sayacat. You are interesting. You registered in 2004 (hello, that’s nearly 10 years ago) and you have only posted four times. Now, I think this thread has struck gold with you posting here twice. Interestingly, your forum can mean ‘I cat’ in another language.

Count me in! My family too know that I am a skating fan and like to tease me about it. I often post Patrick’s programs on my Facebook so now everyone knows he’s my ‘no, 1 idol’. Unfortunately, my family does not share my passion for figure skating though my husband occasionally takes a peep at what I am watching. They are more interested in other sports.

Yes, skatingfan. It’s not easy being a Patrick fan, and reading the vitriol dissed at him. He had a difficult personal time last season finding his inner happiness and strength, and boy am I glad that he found what he was looking for – wonderful and supportive peers in Balde, Abbot, Weaver and Poje, and great training facilities in Detroit Skating Club. Are you aware he always say ‘hi’ to these people, his girlfriend and DSC (I wonder who Stan is… Patrick always acknowledged him too). And I am also proud that we, his fans, stood by him and believe in him through difficult times.

SGrand, please post the link here. I tried looking for it on CBC but I couldn’t find it. I love these two guys.

Will do! Will try to find it. He said that he has never seen a skater do what PC does on skates WITH the jumps. Ever.

spikydurian

Medalist
^^^ Thanks SGrand. Patrick looks relaxed and happy. It did cross my mind that his hair was a wee bit too long because it was sticking up at TEB. Hey, he has shaved his moustache too! He was spotting Movember at TEB.

I know which part of the skate you are talking about, SGrand. I noticed that too.:)

I can't wait to hear the interview with Buttle. I think Buttle is a gifted choreographer. He knows how to bring out the best in a skater while adhering to COP demands. Isn't it wonderful to see these two guys working with each other with mutual respect and admiration despite previously being competitors. This is the type of professionalism which I hope to see more often in competitions. Am I living in an unreal world? :laugh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am not sure what your question is here, but I am a Patrick Chan fan. Kurt sums up Patrick's skills on the blade this way: "It's what Patrick does between the jumps and connects his steps that make him so good." Kurt should know as he is a master of the blade himself. In fact, Patrick's short program was choreographed by none other than Jeff Buttle. It's true Patrick had a bit of a rough patch there but what skater does not? Every skater has highs and lows during their competitive years. It's great to see Patrick back in true form again. I love both of this programs. Oh and I must also mention Toller Cranston here as he was an inspiration to many Canadian male skaters over the years. Talk about edge control and artistic genius.

emdee

Final Flight
I searched again today for the NBC version of Patrick's TEB FS, not expecting to find it. Well, ask and ye shall receive! I found the SP, FS, and interview all in one video!!! Terry, Johnny, and Tara were in as much awe as we were. And Patrick said this was "not part of the plan." He seemed as surprised as we were by how well he skated at TEB.

2013 TEB Patrick Chan SP+FS+Interview (NBC)

For the sake of comparison, I'm also posting Patrick's SC FS with NBC commentary:

2013 SC Patrick Chan FS (NBC)

:love: I could watch Patrick skate all day, jumps or no jumps. Last season was rough for Patrick and his fans, but this season is shaping up to be amazing!!! :)

He told us in the beginning of last season that it would be tough and he may not win competitions.

SGrand

Final Flight
He told us in the beginning of last season that it would be tough and he may not win competitions.

I still think that even though he thought that and had warned us, that he was shocked and disappointed in himself when it came true (Skate Canada and GPF). All part of the process I guess. So happy he went to Detroit and has found a better mental space!
And wise to keep the gorgeous short and get a new long (I tried to like La Boeheme, but it just didn't do all that much for me). I am completely loving Four Seasons!!! It shows that he is too!

spikydurian

Medalist
coppertop said:
He is a master of the blade. He really benefits from the IJS, as it does reward quality and Patrick is awesome at everything. What I love most is that he doesn't rest on his laurels, and he is honest in interviews.

Ladskater said:
Kurt sums up Patrick's skills on the blade this way: "It's what Patrick does between the jumps and connects his steps that make him so good." Kurt should know as he is a master of the blade himself.

Yes, he is the current Master of the Blade. I don’t see anyone who is able to challenge him in skating skills for now. He has a great teacher in Colson who emphasised the basics. I remember Kurt saying to Patrick in a video on Colson …”you are learning how to skate well before you learn how to jump”. In the Eurosport vid on Patrick’s LP, the female commentator emphasised that ‘Patrick has little crossovers in his footwork and that they are all connecting transitions’. It is so obvious when compare his feet with others. The only time he doesn’t do or have minimal transitions is when he sets up for jumps particularly the harder ones.

Coppertop. unfortunately I think his honesty has got himself into trouble and many times, his words were purposely being misinterpreted as arrogance or rudeness. I find it interesting that if a coach said what he did, it’s alright but not Patrick. Being a skater is hard life. ;)

Thanks sayacat for finding the Ex vids. Here’s Patrick’s LP music where you can download.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Coppertop. unfortunately I think his honesty has got himself into trouble and many times, his words were purposely being misinterpreted as arrogance or rudeness. I find it interesting that if a coach said what he did, it’s alright but not Patrick. Being a skater is hard life. ;)
The first comment on this video of Patrick's 2013 TEB LP says, "He is very good, but sooo cocky...'err, it's a world record...' I wish he were more gracious..." Come on, that's not being cocky. To me, it sounded like Patrick was just wondering out loud whether it was a world record or not. Cockiness is not the real Patrick, although I admit that he sometimes comes across or is portrayed that way in the media. Don't even get me started on the YouTube comments on his 2013 Worlds LP (or on his 2012 Worlds LP, for that matter)! :bang: Some people said that Patrick felt "entitled" to win and that he said he deserved to get the scores he got at 2013 Worlds, but if you look at his face after he skated the LP. he was NOT HAPPY AT ALL! His reaction did not say, "I skated horribly but I deserve to win anyway." His reaction said, "Oh gosh, I think I blew it." The problem came when the media asked him to justify his own win. It shouldn't be any skater's job to justify their placements or scores to the media. It is what it is. Really, did people expect him to voluntarily give his gold medal to Denis Ten or something? And it's not as though Patrick was pleased with how he skated. What I took from Patrick's statements after 2013 Worlds was that that he was very unhappy with his performance but since the judges felt he did enough to keep the lead (rightly or wrongly), he'd take the win. Patrick has said controversial things in the past, but I don't think he's arrogant. People see what they want to see, I guess. A friend and I were discussing the upcoming Olympics and what sports we were most looking forward to, and he said that he doesn't particularly enjoy figure skating because all the skaters seem full of themselves. I have no idea what exactly gave him that impression, but it's amazing how people can perceive and interpret things in so many different ways.

Lesson learned (again): Don't read the YouTube comments; just enjoy the skating. ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Lesson learned (again): Don't read the YouTube comments; just enjoy the skating. ;)

Don't feed the trolls and especially don't let the trolls feed on you. It is unnecessary to react to everything or everything said. Why energize the negatives and the insignificant? That would be a waste of your life.

Focus on the positives and Patrick gives us so many, lucky us. Also, those who count and those who know continuously give us the super positives about Patrick so who cares about the hiding bitter little gnats?

Enjoy! Celebrate! Bless! Let's have a good life!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Don't feed the trolls and especially don't let the trolls feed on you. It is unnecessary to react to everything or everything said. Why energize the negatives and the insignificant? That would be a waste of your life.

Focus on the positives and Patrick gives us so many, lucky us. Also, those who count and those who know continuously give us the super positives about Patrick so who cares about the hiding bitter little gnats?

Words of wisdom, SF. Thank you. All very true. I would never dream of replying to anyone; it's not worth my time (neither is reading their comments, sigh). I don't know why I bother, except curiosity, but it's never worth it. Well, the comments in this fest are the only ones I'll be reading about Patrick from now on. For real. Hugs and best wishes to you all! :)

Scrufflet

Final Flight

Love that first sentence! If I knew how to rep you I would! I'm still blissed out on his wonderful recent performances; he sounds so grounded and calm and determined. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks SF. really enjoyed the video this morning. Bonus was seeing his programs again.
Are you coming to Nats?
Emdee, please don't give up on lottery. I am awaiting your good fortune so that you can fly me to Canada in January.:laugh:

Scrufflet said:
I'm still blissed out on his wonderful recent performances; he sounds so grounded and calm and determined. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
We all are. Chiddy has been through so much during the last season, and we fans have kind of shared the ride with him vicariously. I do feel a sense of calm now ...... :)

Skatingfan4ever, haterz are haterz. They will never be happy until Chiddy dropped dead and will always find imagined fault at every turn. Chiddy is not only a gifted skater but one of the nicest and down to earth ever (read his peers' comments).

emdee

Final Flight
Emdee, please don't give up on lottery. I am awaiting your good fortune so that you can fly me to Canada in January.:laugh:

Bought a ticket for this weekend....keep your fingers crossed.

Spent some quality time watching 2009 4 CC programs. Evan at the end shocked that PC blew him away even without a quad. Love that tango program and I think the Rachmaninoff FS didn't grow as much as it should have...a very young PC but still exhilarating to watch.

coppertop1

On the Ice

You're right, like his comment about skating for China and not being appreciated? That got him so much hate, and he was just reflecting. Anyone who thinks he doesn't want to skate for Canada is crazy, he loves Canada! People need to ease up. I like his honesty, and it's too bad it gets twisted around so much. People need to chill.

Yeah, don't go to Youtube comments. I don't any more, so many think they know everything about skating. It really gets annoying.

I definitely don't think anyone is close to him. You need it all to challenge, quads, the triple Axel, artistry.

I don't think he's peaked to soon, he's just being consistent, like a World Champion.

Coriana

On the Ice
Bought a ticket for this weekend....keep your fingers crossed.

Spent some quality time watching 2009 4 CC programs. Evan at the end shocked that PC blew him away even without a quad. Love that tango program and I think the Rachmaninoff FS didn't grow as much as it should have...a very young PC but still exhilarating to watch.

I'll buy one tomorrow, Spikey. And inspired by Emdee, I just watched the 4cc again. Evan's face was a study. I followed that up with the 2011 Nationals. It was amazing to have been there. So looking forward to this year's.

emdee

Final Flight
Ok today will be nationals day. I already saw the 2008 Nats last week. The first of many standing ovations. My first nationals next year....cannot wait.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm still blissed out on his wonderful recent performances; he sounds so grounded and calm and determined. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

We all are. Chiddy has been through so much during the last season, and we fans have kind of shared the ride with him vicariously. I do feel a sense of calm now ...... :)

Skatingfan4ever, haterz are haterz. They will never be happy until Chiddy dropped dead and will always find imagined fault at every turn. Chiddy is not only a gifted skater but one of the nicest and down to earth ever (read his peers' comments).
:agree::biggrin: