Patrick Chan | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

SGrand

Final Flight
It always boggles my mind when you have some of the greatest and most respected skaters of all time championing Chan (Kurt, Toller) and then there's always Elvis 'Downer' Stojko acting like he's no big deal. We get it Elvis, you don't want to be on the Chan-Train, move on.

jaylee

Medalist
I somehow didn't realize that Canada has never won an Olympic gold in men's. Very surprising, considering the impressive men's champions they've had in the past.

That does put a lot of pressure on Patrick going into Sochi. Well, if he learns how to defend a world title, he'll be pretty well-prepared mentally for 2014. Season by season, he's dealing with more pressure, more expectations, and overall, despite some missteps, I think he's making forward progress.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
well, i got my wish already, two clean, no fall skates from PC. It is great to see him do this...has he peaked in January? Worlds is very different, but he is the favorite by far. I wish Jeff Buttle had tried to compete in Vancouver...why did he quit in 2008? Made no sense to me. Sad thing is PC will likely leave skating after Sochi, esp if he gets gold, and we won't see him mature like we saw all the canadian greats who had so many pro opportunities. PC the CoP competitor. I hope he stays in for a few years as a pro. Great job Patrick!

jettasian

Match Penalty
It always boggles my mind when you have some of the greatest and most respected skaters of all time championing Chan (Kurt, Toller) and then there's always Elvis 'Downer' Stojko acting like he's no big deal. We get it Elvis, you don't want to be on the Chan-Train, move on.

Stojko still thinks he's the best, which is not, by kilometer miles...

I somehow didn't realize that Canada has never won an Olympic gold in men's. Very surprising, considering the impressive men's champions they've had in the past.

That does put a lot of pressure on Patrick going into Sochi. Well, if he learns how to defend a world title, he'll be pretty well-prepared mentally for 2014. Season by season, he's dealing with more pressure, more expectations, and overall, despite some missteps, I think he's making forward progress.

The problem is that World is not the same as Olympic. Olympic gets all the attention, the media hypes etc. I think Chan should get a psychologist to help him if he needs one. Look at Kwan, no matter how great she was, she choked. Chan will have lots and lots of pressures, a lot will be from the media and Canada.

Last edited:

Yes, that's such a puzzling statistic. They've had practically a continuous stream of champs from Cranston through Orser, Browning, Stojko, Buttle, and now Chan. Bronzes, silvers, but no gold. In terms of champion material, no one else besides Russia and the U.S. been in that league (and for the U.S. I'm counting that postwar streak of Button/Hayes Jenkins/David Jenkins as well as Hamilton/Boitano/Lysacek.

spikydurian

Medalist

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Yes, that's such a puzzling statistic. They've had practically a continuous stream of champs from Cranston through Orser, Browning, Stojko, Buttle, and now Chan. Bronzes, silvers, but no gold. In terms of champion material, no one else besides Russia and the U.S. been in that league (and for the U.S. I'm counting that postwar streak of Button/Hayes Jenkins/David Jenkins as well as Hamilton/Boitano/Lysacek.

It has certainly puzzled me for years. I've enjoyed all the worthy American gold medallists and envied their success. I'm not greedy. I'm happy to share the title! But oh, just once, let us get Olmpic gold and Mr. Filet Mignon seems our best chance. I was really shocked when Kurt didn't get it. My husband heard it on the news at work and had to stop in at a chocolate store on the way home to console me. U. S. has been so fortunate with its skaters, women especially.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
May I beat Boeing again with Patrick's interview after the Free Skate, on Skate Buzz.

And this

No limits for Patrick Chan?

Elvis needs to shut up, again.

Totally agree with you re Elvis. Every time I think he's past this type of behaviour, he puts his skate in his mouth again. If only he'd said, "I really like the direction Patrick's going and I'd like to see him finetune....... and improve....". Sad thing is he wasn't like this years ago. I was a fan not so much for his skating but rather, his classy treatment of competitors along with his grit and determination. I'll listen to Kurt and Toller before Elvis.

Boeing787

On the Ice
It has certainly puzzled me for years. I've enjoyed all the worthy American gold medallists and envied their success. I'm not greedy. I'm happy to share the title! But oh, just once, let us get Olmpic gold and Mr. Filet Mignon seems our best chance. I was really shocked when Kurt didn't get it. My husband heard it on the news at work and had to stop in at a chocolate store on the way home to console me. U. S. has been so fortunate with its skaters, women especially.

Mr. Filet Mignon? Hmmm... I have to admit I couldn't help peeking at his chest when I watched him skate in that low-cut red shirt.:love:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Mr. Filet Mignon? Hmmm... I have to admit I couldn't help peeking at his chest when I watched him skate in that low-cut red shirt.:love:

There are reasons why Shirtless Patrick Chan video has 35,334 hits vs 4,174 for Patrick Chan Gets Suited With Harry Rosen!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PChiddy?blend=5&ob=video-mustangbase

Since this a fan thread, I want help in the story behind this picture, Patrick Chan, his smelly feet, and Evan Lysacek and the next 3. The only video I find for the SC 2008 Press Conference doesn't show this segment.

I think Canada has been fortunate with its men skaters, gold medals or not. I'd be proud to claim Toller, Kurt, and Brian O., not to mention the now-grouchy Elvis. (Didn't he use to be better behaved?) I can imagine how much chocolate it took to console you when Kurt didn't win in '92 and then (despite my crossed fingers and wishing on stars) in '94. But both before and after the Olympics, Kurt transcended gold. The quality of his skating is worth at least two Olympic championships. What's wonderful about Canada's male champions is that no two are alike. You can't say there's a Canadian style of men's skating--each of these guys is completely unique and original. Toller and Elvis? Amazing and marvelous that they represented the same country in the same discipline.

If Chan wins in Sochi, I certainly wouldn't be upset, though I have to admit that this time around my heart belongs to Daisuke. There's no changing the situation; it was adulation at first sight.

Last edited:

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I think Canada has been fortunate with its men skaters, gold medals or not. I'd be proud to claim Toller, Kurt, and Brian O., not to mention the now-grouchy Elvis. (Didn't he use to be better behaved?) I can imagine how much chocolate it took to console you when Kurt didn't win in '92 and then (despite my crossed fingers and wishing on stars) in '94. But both before and after the Olympics, Kurt transcended gold. The quality of his skating is worth at least two Olympic championships. What's wonderful about Canada's male champions is that no two are alike. You can't say there's a Canadian style of men's skating--each of these guys is completely unique and original. Toller and Elvis? Amazing and marvelous that they represented the same country in the same discipline.

If Chan wins in Sochi, I certainly wouldn't be upset, though I have to admit that this time around my heart belongs to Daisuke. There's no changing the situation; it was adulation at first sight.

Thank you. Well said. Perspective restored.