Patrick Chan | Page 112 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Coriana

On the Ice
That must be annoying... both for the sleep and having to cope with an hour time difference in business.

coppertop1

On the Ice
Oh, and to all the naysayers who think Patrick is now chasing Hanyu, you are setting yourself up for a letdown, acting like it's a done deal and Hanyu will win and not Patrick.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Oh, and to all the naysayers who think Patrick is now chasing Hanyu, you are setting yourself up for a letdown, acting like it's a done deal and Hanyu will win and not Patrick.

Shhhh.

Let someone else be the hunted. Additional Olympic media bait is also good. Those vampires have huge appetite.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Patrick put out a best ever performance in Japan which was good to see. I hope it didn't take too much of a toll on him though. I think he really suffers from Jet lag when he travels long distances, more so than others.
Ravensque, I'm a little concerned about the condition of his knee. I hope it isn't so serious.

Thank you Aprilsnowy for your report on the reception of the Japanese fans. Again, our Japan Bureau rocks. :rock:

Japanese fans are so sophisticated and appreciative of the sport. Their support for Patrick is touching especially since he is a major rival to their beloved Japanese skaters. I think a factor of such unfettered appreciation is their more recent fandom so that they have a good understanding and acceptance of the current standard and scoring system under which Japanese skaters have done extremely well thereby popularing the sport in Japan. It is also good that their perception of Patrick is not first poisoned by the English press during 2009 Worlds and especially the 2010 Olympics when they used and spinned a young gullible rising star to generate controversies, and then by fans who felt their favorites had been wronged.

Unbiased and enthusiastic support of the sport and the skaters is indeed heartening.

Thanks, SkateFigureing, you're too kind.
You've gone over the top about Japanese skating fans.
We still have some irrational and ill-mannered fans who root for their favorites too enthusiastically.

Patrick used to have many haters in Japan when he got high marks without trying a Quad.
But the number of his haters in Japan has visibly diminished since he got a Quad under his belt.
IMO, it's also because they saw how he'd kept working hard to overcome his weaknesses even after he got to the top, and realized how they misunderstood his personality.

Chasing is mentally far better than being chased, isn't it?:biggrin:

coppertop1

On the Ice
Good point, and Patrick is chasing-- he wants that Olympic medal. The one honour he doesn't have.

What is up with Patrick's knee? He was favouring a leg, or was he just tired?

spikydurian

Medalist
And physically, it's an excellent position to kick #$%^
Makes sense. Easier to kick in front than front behind. :biggrin:

Let someone else be the hunted. Additional Olympic media bait is also good. Those vampires have huge appetite.
Oh yeah, vampires go searching for blood and energy ALL the time. They move from one to another. :eek:

OK, spiky, do explain these clowns please.
I think Patrick read our posts regarding blood thirsty vampires and decided to load the pix on his FB!:biggrin:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I heard his knee had hurt when he finished his LP at the GPF. I have no idea if it's healed already.

:( Rest, Patrick, we need you healthy! And he was coming off an injury in Vancouver :(
:frown: He did look like he was in pain after the GPF LP. Hopefully it's just "normal" aches and pains and not a serious injury. Patrick's physical health is very important going into Sochi. Best wishes that he will return to full health soon. Patrick's skating is so difficult that I'm actually surprised he hasn't been injured more often. He's only had to miss one international event in approximately seven seasons on the Senior circuit. Why is that? A combination of good technique and luck, I guess. Some skaters do seem to get injured more than others. (I've thought of starting a thread about this in The Edge after Sochi but wondered whether it would be a "safe" topic if I used Patrick as an example).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
As I've observed and oft said, Patrick constantly learns from his every experience. Since his injury in 2009-10 Olympic season, he has realized and emphasized the importance of health and staying injury free. It's usually cause and effect and rarely a matter of luck if an athlete is injured or not. E.g. Patrick incurred his injury by over training before his full recovery from the h1n1 flu and he knew he was doing it so he paid for it. Lesson learned. People were angry at me for holding Takahashi for his skate mishap at 2011 Worlds but I hold Patrick equally responsible for his pre Olympic injury. Don't tempt fate and put too much trust in luck when you know the probable consequence of what you're doing or not doing. See the big picture. What's the point of being an injured macho or sidelined hero?

I hope Patrick's knee just needs some rest and he has enough time for that and still trains optimally for the Olympics. Prayers and white lights for Patrick.

Let's see what his next photo response to us will be. ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
spikydurian said:
Oh yeah, vampires go searching for blood and energy ALL the time. They move from one to another. :eek:

They usually go for easy victims but sometimes target seasonal favorites.
When you can't stay out of their way, it's good to have other tasty baits around. Best if they find someone else more delicious. :biggrin:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I decided to check Patrick's Twitter just now. I don't check it often because he doesn't tweet very much. Well, I discovered this gem of an interview. It was in studio with CanadaAM on Dec. 11th. I don't even want to paraphrase it - it's that awesome. It's so wonderful when Patrick can talk freely. He is so happy in this interview, which made it a joy to watch. This link works for me in the US; I hope it's not geoblocked elsewhere.

CanadaAM Interview - 11 Dec 2013

spikydurian

Medalist
Coriana said:
Because he just happened to have one handy. Let's try to test this theory. What else might he have a picture of, I wonder?
Here's Patrick kicking somone's ***!

They usually go for easy victims but sometimes target seasonal favorites.
When you can't stay out of their way, it's good to have other tasty baits around. Best if they find someone else more delicious.
Their favourite past time is to look for victims. Shall we make a guess who the likely victims will be if and when Patrick retires?;)

Thanks skatingfan. Yes, Patrick is always seemingly happy despite difficult times. It is amazing how much he has gone through and yet always end up moving on with a smile and positive attitude. Just as in life, we can learn from every obstacle and move on with a positive attitude or we can complain till the cows come home making ourselves and others around us just as miserable. Patrick is lucky to be surrounded by 'angels' and not energy sucking vampires. :)

Last edited by a moderator: