Patrick Chan | Page 113 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

lcd

Match Penalty
Has Patrick said anything about what his plans are with his competitive skating after this season? He is still so young. I hope he continues for another cycle.

Coriana

On the Ice
In one Post GPF interview he said that he hadn't given it much thought yet, as he was totally focused on the Olys. He mentioned that he would like to grow and mature as a person - and that one can't do that training on ice all the time. (sigh) He also said he would like to give back to Canada and the sport. In an earlier interview he mused he didn't know how he would feel about competing after the Olys, and might do the Worlds just to find out. He's advertised as being in Stars on Ice in April/May. I hold out the faint hope that he will then take some time off, skip the Grand Prix, get bored, and come back for next year's Nationals.

spikydurian

Medalist
Has Patrick said anything about what his plans are with his competitive skating after this season? He is still so young. I hope he continues for another cycle.
At (coming) 23, he is young relative to other young men. Some may still be in University at that age.

He didn't specifically say he will retire after Sochi and he did talk about competing at 2014 Worlds. I think he will make the decision after Sochi. As Coriana pointed out, he is totally focused on Sochi now.

It is true isn't it, Coriana. One can only grow so much training on ice. It is a big big complex world outside the skating rink. One part of me would like to see him continue competing but the other part realised that at some point in life, Patrick needs to move to do other things. He cannot compete forever. I would dearly wish that he will honour Colson's gift to him by spreading the love of skating to children. He said he wanted to help to grow more Kurts, Stoyos, Orsers and Patricks. That points to something to do with 'mentoring'. I think he will do well in that area. He has a happy and positive personality and I am sure the kids will find him fun. (Even his peers find him an excellent partner in training). In Colson's words.... "to nurture the embryo".

coppertop1

On the Ice
Patrick had an early start in the senior ranks, he was 15 at his first Canadians. So he has been able to maintain his longevity. He practially skimmed through the ranks, novice champion at 13, then junior champion at 14, and won his first Canadian title at 17. I hope he stays on, but if he wins at Sochi he'll have done it all and had a long career, so I can understand if he retires. I can see him as a good mentor, with his positive, upbeat personality.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A, or the, major consideration with Patrick is his university education, which he could not afford in the US (Colorado Springs at the time he decided to postpone it.) If he trains in Canada or can register with a Canadian univesity with classroom and online courses, maybe he can combine his studies with a competitive skating career.

Patrick is young enough and talented enough to keep on to be a really dominant and influential skater in the history of this sport. I wish him the best whatever he chooses and I'm sure he will succeed outside skating competitions as well.

Coriana

On the Ice
While Canadian skaters never make the big bucks that Americans or Japanese or Koreans do with endorsements, no matter what they win, I sincerely hope that Patrick will end this year not too badly off. He's finally getting some serious sponsorships. He said in the Canada AM interview that he doesn't have to worry anymore-- he meant for from now till the Olys of course, not for the rest of his life. But I would hope that after the Olys, opportunities will open up so he doesn't have to worry for quite a while.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I remember reading in an International Figure Skating Magazine article (I think it was done shortly after the 2010 Olympics) that Patrick enjoyed studying economics because you have to use a totally different part of your brain for it than you use for skating. It provided him with a good way to get a break from skating. I have no idea if he stills wants to pursue economics or not. Whatever he chooses to do, he has the drive and the work ethic and the positive outlook to accomplish his goals.

spikydurian

Medalist
I remember reading in an International Figure Skating Magazine article (I think it was done shortly after the 2010 Olympics) that Patrick enjoyed studying economics because you have to use a totally different part of your brain for it than you use for skating. It provided him with a good way to get a break from skating. I have no idea if he stills wants to pursue economics or not. Whatever he chooses to do, he has the drive and the work ethic and the positive outlook to accomplish his goals.

I am sure Patrick would have learnt alot from years of being an elite athlete. Learning how to handle pressure, how to motivate oneself, focus, hard work and etc. These are real life experience and would prove more valuable than a piece of paper.

Yes, I remember that he followed a family friend to Dubai (?) to shadow him in stockbroking in 2011? It's three years since and he may have changed his mind what he wants to do just like Buttle did (who in his recent interview by PJ Kwong, indicated that he intends to switch to law from engineering). I am certain whatever Patrick's path when he retires from competitive skating, he will be still involved in skating somehow. Didn't he say in his recent interview that he wanted to contribute to the growth of skating among the younger generation?

Skatefiguring said:
A, or the, major consideration with Patrick is his university education, which he could not afford in the US (Colorado Springs at the time he decided to postpone it.) If he trains in Canada or can register with a Canadian university with classroom and online courses, maybe he can combine his studies with a competitive skating career
As a non US citizen, I assume he would have to pay full-fee in the U.S. so it makes sense to return to Canada to further his education. It is likely what his parents would want him to do eventually. Asian parents value education. One of my friends made her daughter complete a University course before she was allowed to further her interest as a pastry chef. She is now a pastry chef with a degree in mathematics (weird combo).:laugh:

I couldn't resist posting this picture of a very young Patrick and a very young Yuna. They must be 16? 17? They both look so different now. No longer a boy and a girl. But a good looking man and a beautiful lady. Time flies.

emdee

Final Flight
Patrick could very likely obtain a sports scholarship at an ivy league institution. Many of our Canadian athletes especially golfers, soccer and hockey players get these scholarships. In fact the university talent scouts come up regularly to check out the players.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Patrick could very likely obtain a sports scholarship at an ivy league institution. Many of our Canadian athletes especially golfers, soccer and hockey players get these scholarships. In fact the university talent scouts come up regularly to check out the players.

Do you mean the Ivy League in the U.S.?
Do any of its schools compete in collegiate figure skating?? Or if they do, do they go so far as to offer scholarships to skaters?
No offense to Chan, but off the top of my head, my guess is that none of the Ivies do.

ETA, from some quickie searching, I see that Dartmouth at least has a collegiate skating team -- but I remain highly skeptical as to whether it or any other Ivy would offer skating scholarships.

(And at least one Ivy does not offer sports scholarships of any kind.)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick commented in the interview in China a couple of years ago that there were no scholarships for a figure skater but lots for major (what I call commercial) sports like football and hockey.

After Worlds 2011, he job shadowed a commodity trader in Dubai, father of a figure skater friend. He observed its intense competitiveness (I call it cutthroatness) similar to figure skating or most sports really at the top level.

Or he could be a computer nerd or a car mechanic. :) He even indicated an interest in politics. That would be refreshing and a welcomed alternative to the current crop. :biggrin:

spikydurian

Medalist
Patrick commented in the interview in China a couple of years ago that there were no scholarships for a figure skater but lots for major (what I call commercial) sports like football and hockey.
My impression too. Without a scholarship, studying in an ivy league university as a non-US citizen will cost an arm and leg. His family has already spent so much money in elite skating training for their son. IMO, it makes practical sense to return to Canada for further studies if further education is what he has in mind. It would also allow him to contribute to skating in the Canada.

Or he could be a computer nerd or a car mechanic. :) He even indicated an interest in politics. That would be refreshing and a welcomed alternative to the current crop. :biggrin:
Remember how we laughed when he talked about toying with the idea that he may wish to be a politician that he will really need to learn how to lie through his teeth for a forthright, what you see is what you get personality like Patrick. And yes, that would be refreshing.;)

Coriana

On the Ice
I have a hard time imagining Patrick very far from sport.... whatever form of career that might take.

Coriana

On the Ice
There are very fine universities in Canada-do any of them have competitive skating programs?

Not that I've heard ever heard of. But while universities are pricey here now, I don't think they are as expensive as the States, except for a special MBA grad programme at Queens. Further, if one does well in one's first year, there is likely some kind of support available.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
McGill University is considered Canada's Ivy League school and Americans pay international students' rate and still save a bundle over studying in the US.

spikydurian

Medalist
I have a hard time imagining Patrick very far from sport.... whatever form of career that might take.
I think so too. He's a gifted athlete. I heard he plays golf and tennis relatively well. He ski, rock climb and mountain bike so that is very telling of his love of the outdoor and sports.

I don't know how much is University education in Canada but I remember comparing notes with my Canadian friend some time ago and vividly remember the fees for local students are quite similar with Australia. In Australia, local students pay between $5,000-$11,000 a year depending on the type of course (or tier as we refer to them in Australia) and University. Highest tier include engineering and health courses and in some universities, business because business course is very popular with overseas students. If students chose to pay upfront fees, they get a discount of 10%. Unfortunately, I heard the government is taking away the discount which I think is stupid. International students pay around two- three times as much as local students. I know of a friend's nephew who came over here from Canada to do medicine. Not sure why .. did ask but couldn't remember the reason.

My sister-in-law told me that she started saving for her son's education in the U.S. since he was born! And even then, is unlikely to be able to afford to send him to the ivy-league unis since they are not super rich.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The pricier the school, and the better endowed, the more likely there are to be scholarships available for talented students, and in many fields, arrangements for summer internships that pay quite well. Her son may be just fine in an Ivy or one of the top engineering schools in the USA.

My neighbor's kid went to MIT which is super pricey. He's finishing up his doctorate this year-did all 3 degrees at MIT in aenonautical engineering. And he has no student loans. Between scholarships and summer internships which paid very well, he will be debt free when he graduates. But he is a brilliant kid.

emdee

Final Flight
There are very fine universities in Canada-do any of them have competitive skating programs?

I think Queens takes in a lot of figure skaters. Its a type of Ivy School in Canada ( not Ivey!) but seldom gives large scholarships. I speak from experience here - DD got huge scholarships in major Canadian universities but chose Queens with very little money.

I have nephews and nieces at Duke, Princeton and Emory all pay huge fees with partial scholarships only so I think it really depends on the subjects one is studying.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, I'm sure that scholarships can depend on many things: need, student brilliance, area of study, professors with grant money to spend, quirky bequests to particular departments, and so forth, but the Ivies are well-funded, and well-funded schools have more money to hand out (and the Ivies are very well funded ;) )

I went to school mostly using small scholarships, and a quirky bequest to the University of Vermont Classics Department that left a trust fund created by a childless ex-chairman of the department (John Kent fund). Kent left his trust to be dispensed at the sole descretion of the current chairman of the Classics dept, whomever that might be. He was disgruntled because one of the 6 professors in the department when he was chair had an endowed chair, but not one dime of the endowment money went back to the department. It just went into the general fund. His will stated that even if the chairman chose to spend the years' money on wine, women & song, at least one classicist would benefit by it, whereas money left in more conventional ways would benefit no Classics professors or students at all.

The chairman when I was there funded small scholarships for seniors and freshman and paid internships for graduate and top undergraduate students to teach basic Latin and Greek classes in the off semester (this paid for most of my tuition :) ). He also funded travelling exhibits and speakers for high school Latin programs throughout Vermont, and for Latin Day which was a huge event in the fall at UVM for all the state's Latin students. As a result, he kept the department vibrant and growing at a time when Classics departments around the country were dying.

So you never know what's available in a given department until you get to the school-I certainly didn't. I ended up doing a double major in Classics (which I had never expected to do) and Physics (which is what I went to school for in real life).