Patrick Chan | Page 115 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
We were discussing here recently what Patrick's career goals might be when his competitive skating days are over. He mentions several possibilities in this interview (which was done shortly after 2013 Worlds, but I just discovered it a few days ago). His dream come true would be to "have a skating school where I look after the skater completely." (This would include on-ice and off-ice training, how to deal with the media, injury recovery and prevention, proper nutrition, etc). The very thought of that makes me happy. :love:[/URL]

Thank you skatingfan for the vid. Before I continue, I noticed Patrick still laughs the same as he did when he was a kid! Compare this laugh when he was a 10yo to the above laugh.:)

I think there may be such an existing school where it incorporate athletic training with the school curriculum around Toronto? Emdee if you can confirm? Such a school will be beneficial to the kids and parents... a one stop centre for education and athletic training.

Here's playful Patrick with Tatiana and Maxim.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
:hb: Happy 23rd birthday Patrick!!! May the coming year bring you joy and fulfillment (and hopefully an OGM too). :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Happy Birthday Patrick! May your 24th year be extra special and bring you some of the most treasured memories of this life. May your most cherished dreams be fulfilled and may you realize, enjoy, and appreciate all the love bestowed on you. Be happy, healthy, and wiser year by year.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Happy birthday to Patrick! Hope he is having a great time with his mates at DSC.

Here's a Coca Cola drink can with Patrick's signature - one of Patrick's Sochi sponsor.

Patrick enjoying his birthday pressie. He's not seriously thinking of taking up shooting is he? ;)
Spiky, how on earth do you find this stuff? You must be a great Googler. Patrick can take up shooting as long as he skates in many shows also. ;) I doubt he's serious about shooting, but you never know.

Speaking of shows, I hope he gets invited to Improv Ice at some point. That's where skaters have only a few hours to choreograph two show programs before performing them. I'm very curious to see what Patrick would come up with in that scenario.

spikydurian

Medalist
Spiky, how on earth do you find this stuff? You must be a great Googler. Patrick can take up shooting as long as he skates in many shows also. ;) I doubt he's serious about shooting, but you never know.

I was just kidding about taking up shooting (for Olympics) although it isn't a bad idea. All you need is a superb eye hand coordination, a steady hand and ability to take pressure. It's a sport where he can continue until middle-age without physical injuries. :biggrin:

And yes, if I am interested enough, googling and internet is great way to find more information about anyone. Isn't Obama who once said to a class that they have to be careful about what they post on the internet? It is not retractable. :biggrin:

Speaking of shows, I hope he gets invited to Improv Ice at some point. That's where skaters have only a few hours to choreograph two show programs before performing them. I'm very curious to see what Patrick would come up with in that scenario.
What is Improv Ice? Sorry, haven't heard of it.

Skatefiguring said:
May your 24th year be extra special and bring you some of the most treasured memories of this life. May your most cherished dreams be fulfilled and may you realize, enjoy, and appreciate all the love bestowed on you. Be happy, healthy, and wiser year by year.

I am sure Patrick is appreciative of the love bestowed on him from his close ones, friends and fans. Kathy, I believe, sacrificed much by packing up to join and support him in DSC. Tess comes across as a sweetie and is always there for him (here's the two cuties together on his birthday). Balde and others in DSC who offered their friendship to Patrick making life easier and happier for him to train there. And of course not forgetting us (ahem) who always wish him best. It is hard not to love a bubbly, happy and open personality like Patrick (besides his skating skills).

Can't wait to see him skate again at Nationals.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
What is Improv Ice? Sorry, haven't heard of it.
Here is the description given on the Disson Skating Website:

Four top male and four top female skaters will come together to perform two numbers selected at random the day of the show which must be choreographed in a matter of hours with no coach or choreographer. Of the two numbers selected by each skater, one will be performed live by the band.

Viewers voted for which skater they think improvised best online following the telecast.
Improv Ice last aired in January 2012 (taped in December 2011) and I can't find any evidence of a more recent one. It's quite possible that they're not doing it anymore.

I just want Patrick to skate in some shows and for kind souls to put the programs up on YouTube. The only way I'll get to see him on TV is if he's in a show that happens to air in the U.S. We shall see.

For now, though, we have Nationals, the Olympics, and probably Worlds to look forward to. All the best to Patrick. May our nerves survive the rest of this crazy ride.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's another birthday present that Patrick received. He went to the 2014 Winter Classic in Ann Arbor and watched his favorite hockey team win. The Toronto Maple Leafs defeated the Detroit Red Wings 3-2. Looks like Patrick had a great time.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Here's an article in Maclean's. Also included are two videos. One is the interview with Patrick that SGrand already posted and the other is an interview with the photographer. Patrick talks about many things in the article and it's all fascinating. Something surprising to me from the article is why he left Colorado Springs. I love reading and hearing what Patrick says. He's so open that you always know what he's thinking. Worth the read and the listen.

Maclean's article on Patrick with 2 Videos

SGrand

Final Flight
Patrick!!!! Oh how I wish you weren't your own worst enemy lol! I'm hoping he is saving another lights out performance like TEB for Sochi.
In case anyone missed it or didn't have access: GORGEOUS quad-triple, doubled axel and doubled lutz. Rod Black remarked that double-double is fine for Tim Hortons but not Sochi lol.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick!!!! Oh how I wish you weren't your own worst enemy lol! I'm hoping he is saving another lights out performance like TEB for Sochi.
In case anyone missed it or didn't have access: GORGEOUS quad-triple, doubled axel and doubled lutz. Rod Black remarked that double-double is fine for Tim Hortons but not Sochi lol.

Who doesn't know? We don't Rod Black to tell us. :sarcasm:

Here's post SP interview with Patrick in English and French.
Well, Michelle Kwan had perfect skates at Nationals in 1998 and 2002 but wasn't able to win the Olympics. With an imperfect Nationals, Patrick won't have the pressure of "living up to it" at the Olympics. Instead, he has a target on his back now and he knows he can do a lot better in Sochi. Being imperfect means that the goal of perfection is still out there to strive for. Also, recognizing and acknowledging what went wrong is the first step to fixing it and making sure it doesn't happen again. Best wishes to Patrick for the FS. May his mind be clear and focused so that he can skate the program the way he trains it.

SGrand

Final Flight
Well, Michelle Kwan had perfect skates at Nationals in 1998 and 2002 but wasn't able to win the Olympics. With an imperfect Nationals, Patrick won't have the pressure of "living up to it" at the Olympics. Instead, he has a target on his back now and he knows he can do a lot better in Sochi. Being imperfect means that the goal of perfection is still out there to strive for. Also, recognizing and acknowledging what went wrong is the first step to fixing it and making sure it doesn't happen again. Best wishes to Patrick for the FS. May his mind be clear and focused so that he can skate the program the way he trains it.

So true. Let's be honest here, few of them in the world can skate clean all of the time and he had that amazing comp in France already so this is probably for the best. Would love him to skate relatively well in the long though. Might be good for him to totally be the underdog at Oly's now (not that I think he can really be called that lol). Hanyu is going to have a ton of pressure to deal with now as he has been on fire in his last 2 comps and people are talking.

SAYACAT

Spectator
So was Jeremy Abbott, he was perfect at 2010 Nationals and ended up 9th at Olympics in Vancouver.

emdee

Final Flight
Since most of the figure skating comps are during lunch hours I am making sure I am invited out to sports bars on those days. They will be rather long lunches.....I think I may take the days off for Patrick's short and long though.