Patrick Chan | Page 116 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks skatingfan4ever. Couple of errors. And yes, I am sure he wants it to be as perfect as it can be in Sochi. The LP has so much energy, speed and ice coverage. The Canadian crowd is so supportive of him. Let us send ohm... to Patrick from now to Sochi.

I prefer this costume of his Ex to the first one. And here's the team announcement event of Team Canada. Patrick ended the announcement by giving a speech in French (no, I don't under a single word .. except merci :laugh: ).

emdee

Final Flight
At the gala when he thanked everyone in french the lady behind me was absolutely shocked.
I remember an early media interview for TEB where he didnt wait for the translator and answered the french media. Also how he took Kozuka around Paris when they skated their together.

hellochristine

Spectator
I am one of Patrick's Korean fans have followed Patrick for years and really hope he won the gold medal in Sochi. I have never challenged any postings here but I must do it now.

I watched Patrick's performances at National and even analyzed his jumps frame by frame. I saw doubts, worries and fears in Patrick's eyes at the rink and he was popping and downgrading his jumps. During 2013-2014 season, Patrick showed only one great TEB performance because the rink is big enough to allow his huge trained dance movements using great body balance and powerful movements but it will not work Sochi rinks because it will be similar to his National performance he is running out of room and his set up is too powerful causing the second quad problem with too much speed and not enough space to take off. I hope this would not happen in Sochi though.

His past two year skating has not improved in every aspect compared to his season of 2011-2012 with 15 months undefeated record of one or two small mistakes comparing to 5 huge mistakes in last week's National which should have given Patrick the least pressure and no opponents. Patrick needs fundamental skating reminder on his landing and taking off from a real skating coach to prevent his slipping away from the Olympic podium. There is not enough time but just simple reminds can make him understand what is the problem and will make huge difference. I've been in the field for many years and I know what I am talking about.

BTY, how come coach Kathy no longer cares what others think on her unprofessional ways of her affection to Patrick (kissing Patrick at the K&C zone). It is so unprofessional and bothers viewers in the world!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I am one of Patrick's Korean fans have followed Patrick for years and really hope he won the gold medal in Sochi. I have never challenged any postings here but I must do it now.

I watched Patrick's performances at National and even analyzed his jumps frame by frame. I saw doubts, worries and fears in Patrick's eyes at the rink and he was popping and downgrading his jumps. During 2013-2014 season, Patrick showed only one great TEB performance because the rink is big enough to allow his huge trained dance movements using great body balance and powerful movements but it will not work Sochi rinks because it will be similar to his National performance he is running out of room and his set up is too powerful causing the second quad problem with too much speed and not enough space to take off. I hope this would not happen in Sochi though.

His past two year skating has not improved in every aspect compared to his season of 2011-2012 with 15 months undefeated record of one or two small mistakes comparing to 5 huge mistakes in last week's National which should have given Patrick the least pressure and no opponents. Patrick needs fundamental skating reminder on his landing and taking off from a real skating coach to prevent his slipping away from the Olympic podium. There is not enough time but just simple reminds can make him understand what is the problem and will make huge difference. I've been in the field for many years and I know what I am talking about.

BTY, how come coach Kathy no longer cares what others think on her unprofessional ways of her affection to Patrick (kissing Patrick at the K&C zone). It is so unprofessional and bothers viewers in the world!
Very interesting post. Welcome to our Patrick fest, hellochristine! :) I agree with what you said about the doubt in Patrick's eyes. He seems to really struggle when things aren't exactly what he is used to. Hopefully he will be able to acclimate to the Sochi rink and feel comfortable enough to have good programs there. I just want the whole world to see his brilliance. The viewing audience for TEB is much smaller than the viewing audience for the Olympics. When Patrick is on, there is NO ONE who skates like him!!!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
You've never been around a skater who has that factor, then. If you ever just saw Kwan (or Chan) just stroke around the rink without any music playing, there's a quietness to it versus most other skaters when they are accelerating. I can't even describe it. It's an innate skill that has to be cultivated by a knowledgable coach. As I said, anyone can learn to stroke nicely and fairly quietly and generate power effortlessly, but there are once in a generation kinds of skaters that take this ability to a different level.

And all of those skaters, including Patrick, were taught figures. He probably didn't know that's what they were called, but he was taught this by Mr. Colson. It's a huge factor in Patrick's success now. There is no way he would rack up the marks for SS, TR, etc, along with elements like footwork, without having had such a strong foundation in figures. In fact it's been said that there was so much emphasis placed on figures and stroking and edges and skating skills that other coaches used to question when he would be taught to jump. Now we all see the wisdom. Learning to jump is a skill that comes with age, muscle, practise. The run of the blade and stroking and edges cannot be learned so quickly, and are best taught from the very beginning. Have a good foundation, then add the tricks. His addition of the quad is a great example. He needed the quad to get into medal contention. But its all the rest of the things in between that helps him stay there, even when he doesn't have his best day at the rink.

It's been a few years since I've seen Chan skate live (only at Liberty, so very early in the season with brand-new programs) at which point he looked very good but not exceptional. On TV more recently, though, it looks to me that he gets more ice coverage/deeper edges with each stroke and more agility to turn and move his whole body whichever way he chooses than the other top singles skaters. I'm not sure I can think of another example of a skater who had exactly those areas of extreme excellence. Some might get a bit more nuance out of the music, but not the same combination of effortless ease, complexity, and power.
I know the posts I’ve quoted above are from a long time ago, but they relate to something Scott Hamilton wrote (and yes, this does have to do with Patrick, so bear with me). In The Great Eight, Hamilton talks a lot about figures and what he learned from having to practice them. He laments the fact that figures were dropped from competition in 1990 and describes the negative effects of this as follows:

Predictably, young skaters soon stopped practicing their figures. Instead, their coaches had them focus on jumps and spins and all the TV-friendly moves that give figure skating high ratings. With even the most elite skaters no longer practicing the precision and balance exercises, the quality of skating in the sport has suffered greatly. Skaters now lack the muscle strength that figures give, so injuries have increased. Further, many skaters have lost their overall mastery of the fundamental skills that performing compulsory figures had developed: agility, balance, posture, stamina, and concentration. To state it simply, modern skaters are incredible athletes, but because many of them have not mastered agility, balance, posture, stamina, and concentration, they are not as good at skating as their predecessors.
In light of this quote, I wonder what Hamilton would have to say about Patrick’s current skating abilities. I think Patrick is an exception to every negative that Hamilton gives and I think that’s because Mr. Colson had him learn and practice figures. At 2007 SA and 2009 Worlds, Scott and Sandra were amazed by Patrick, but I think he has improved a lot since then. His post-Vancouver programs have shown off his pure skating skills to an even greater extent. I’m rather curious to hear what Scott has to say about Patrick’s programs in Sochi. From all I've heard, Patrick is definitely a skater’s skater.

I apologize that this post is so long. Congratulations if you've read all the way to this point. :laugh: Patrick puts the “figure” back in figure skating and I love him for it. :love:

coppertop1

On the Ice
Don't worry, we don't want Patrick to do skate lights out here and not in Sochi. Better he have some mistakes here and leave room for improvement at Sochi than peak here and then have costly mistakes at the Olympics, as Liz Manley said.

emdee

Final Flight

So were you at Nats? I know there were a bunch of his Korean fans there in Ottawa.

I thought both Sochi and TEB had Olympic sized rinks. Am I wrong here? Ottawa had the usual hockey rink so he tends to run out of space.

I didnt see doubt but I did see disappointment. He was already told he had a spot for Sochi so there was no pressure for him. I think this made him dumb down his levels. Better that than hurting himself in any way.

I dont agree at all about his past year's skating. Maybe his jump content hasnt improved but Patrick's skating is not all about the jumps. His upper body movement has improved a great deal in the last 24 months.

Kissing on both cheeks is the traditional gesture of warmth and friendship here in Canada so honestly I dont see what the problem is and why you should call it unprofessional. Now if he kissed her on the lips that would something else. It would be usual for him to behave as he has been brought up to behave here ie with our mores and I dont see why he should change this sort of harmless behaviour just because it bothers viewers in the world. Instead you as a Patrick fan should look at it as a cultural difference.

Coriana

On the Ice
Surely everyone knows that Patrick's first language is French, and that he attended a Francophone school in Toronto, and that his English is "picked up." I remember a very painful interview where a French skater was sent to interview Patrick in English and to translate his answers into French. I'm having a senior moment so can't remember the name of the delightful French pairs skater - Gwendel? . Patrick suffered through the guy's English and the awkward translations, before begging to be allowed to speak French. Gwendel didn't quite know what to do, so then translated Patrick's French into English. Then nobody knew what to do. Have any of you seen the hilariously wonderful interview that Patrick did with Brian Joubert for Radio Canada- the French version of CBC? I couldn't find
it to post- though I searched Radio Canada. It was after the EB prior to the London worlds, and ended with Joubert picking Patrick up in a bear hug... quite spontaneously.

mikif

Spectator

I agree with you. In my opinion, Kathy Johnson finished her work for Patrick because his upper body movement is already wonderful. Honestly I feel she is almost like a friend or a fan more than a coach of him recently. Now Patrick needs improvement in jumps. There is not enough time but I hope anybody helps his jumps for the Olympics gold! When he was in Colorado Springs, he skated wonderful in the second half of season. At least he was not a skater who does a half-way performance at Nationals. Now I’m anxious about him. I heard that Patrick did beautiful 4S at the warm-up session of Stars on Ice tour last May. He can 4S! However, he did not include it in his programs. That's a waste. Some of other skaters are trying both 4T and 4S. Their element score is high. Patrick had no rivals when he was in Colorado Springs but the situation is different now. There is not enough time until Sochi. I hope Patrick does not waste his time anymore. Patrick is a genius! Good luck Patrick, Make your dream come true!:)

emdee

Final Flight
I agree with you. In my opinion, Kathy Johnson finished her work for Patrick because his upper body movement is already wonderful. Honestly I feel she is almost like a friend or a fan more than a coach of him recently. Now Patrick needs improvement in jumps. There is not enough time but I hope anybody helps his jumps for the Olympics gold! When he was in Colorado Springs, he skated wonderful in the second half of season. At least he was not a skater who does a half-way performance at Nationals. Now I’m anxious about him. I heard that Patrick did beautiful 4S at the warm-up session of Stars on Ice tour last May. He can 4S! However, he did not include it in his programs. That's a waste. Some of other skaters are trying both 4T and 4S. Their element score is high. Patrick had no rivals when he was in Colorado Springs but the situation is different now. There is not enough time until Sochi. I hope Patrick does not waste his time anymore. Patrick is a genius! Good luck Patrick, Make your dream come true!:)

What you say may have some validity but he was terribly unhappy in Colorado Springs in his last year there so obviously the place and people were an inclement mix!

spikydurian

Medalist
Welcome hellochristine and mikif. Thank you for your comments and concerns. Patrick has indicated earlier that this season he is not putting any 'new tricks' to his programs and he is going with what is comfortable to him. As coppertop says, better to make errors now than later. I am sure he's aware of what went wrong. There are also Skate Cananda professionals who can provide feedback. As for higher technical elements like 4S, he hasn't indicated that he will retire after Sochi so if he continues skating, who knows.... he may then think about adding more jumps. As for whether he will get a new coach then, we will have to wait and see. And yes, he left Colorado Springs because the environment was no longer conducive to training and also since one of his coach resigned.

As Emdee has responded earlier, kissing on the cheeks and forehead is common in Canadian culture. We practise that here in too in Australia.

Coriana, I am disappointed that I couldn't locate the vid on Patrick interviewing Joubert in French. I am sure they both know each other relatively well now having skated together in Yuna shows.

ice_edge

Spectator
Thank you for your comments and concerns. Patrick has indicated earlier that this season he is not putting any 'new tricks' to his programs and he is going with what is comfortable to him. As coppertop says, better to make errors now than later. I am sure he's aware of what went wrong. There are also Skate Cananda professionals who can provide feedback. As for higher technical elements like 4S, he hasn't indicated that he will retire after Sochi so if he continues skating, who knows.... he may then think about adding more jumps. As for whether he will get a new coach then, we will have to wait and see. And yes, he left Colorado Springs because the environment was no longer conducive to training and also since one of his coach resigned.

I have followed your postings and amazed that you, spikydurian have so many inside information of Patrick even his very intimate life. While reading your posting, I thought you are not an Asian Korean from Australia but someone from Detroit or someone very close to either Patrick or Kathy. Are you sure you are not the current coach of Patrick Chan? lol

You sounds just like a Patrick spokesperson with defending and making excuses when Patrick is not skating well and regarding issues of his relocation to Detroit even passing all the behind story at Colorado Springs and Detroit, etc!

Kathy was good when she was part of the Chan team in 2011-2012 for two season when Patrick benefited from both skating/off-ice movements. As emdee mentioned she helped Patrick to improve his upper body movement. But that's all!

We know Kathy's inadequacy of not knowing fine points in skating fundamentals. It is not the time for her to be selfish claiming glory and making a point to show all the other skating coaches that she should be recognized. That's just not fair for Patrick who has spent 17 years working for it! If she really wanted Patrick to become the Gold medalist in Sochi, this would be the last chance to listen skating input from other skating professionals from Skate Canada or even someone in Detroit.

I, fan of Patrick since he was a young boy had seen Patrick's success with his very simple happy mentality he had for all those years but this season, I noticed the innocent boy changed to a emotionally drained man who even aged so much in front of his fans. That made me a bit sad (I know man changes and Patrick is not a boy any more). However, I believe Patrick will overcome all these things and will get to the top of the podium eventually in Sochi!:yay:

spikydurian

Medalist
No ice_edge, I am just a fan of Patrick. When fans follow their favourites after some time, reading their favourites' comments, and am fond of them, we learn more about our favourites, Patrick is an open book and has been very frank with his opinions hence a lot of my opinions are based on his comments. And to set the record straight, I don't know anything about his intimate life and am not interested to know the details but I do know he has a lovely girlfriend named Tess.:)

emdee

Final Flight
I have followed your postings and amazed that you, spikydurian have so many inside information of Patrick even his very intimate life. While reading your posting, I thought you are not an Asian Korean from Australia but someone from Detroit or someone very close to either Patrick or Kathy. Are you sure you are not the current coach of Patrick Chan? lol

You sounds just like a Patrick spokesperson with defending and making excuses when Patrick is not skating well and regarding issues of his relocation to Detroit even passing all the behind story at Colorado Springs and Detroit, etc!

I, fan of Patrick since he was a young boy had seen Patrick's success with his very simple happy mentality he had for all those years but this season, I noticed the innocent boy changed to a emotionally drained man who even aged so much in front of his fans. That made me a bit sad (I know man changes and Patrick is not a boy any more). However, I believe Patrick will overcome all these things and will get to the top of the podium eventually in Sochi!:yay:
Ice edge, since you are new to the board you are not aware that Spiky has long since been appointed our Australian bureau representative by no less a person than our guru SF.

Like you we believe that Patrick will overcome....

hellochristine

Spectator
So were you at Nats? I know there were a bunch of his Korean fans there in Ottawa.

I thought both Sochi and TEB had Olympic sized rinks. Am I wrong here? Ottawa had the usual hockey rink so he tends to run out of space.

I didnt see doubt but I did see disappointment. He was already told he had a spot for Sochi so there was no pressure for him. I think this made him dumb down his levels. Better that than hurting himself in any way.

I dont agree at all about his past year's skating. Maybe his jump content hasnt improved but Patrick's skating is not all about the jumps. His upper body movement has improved a great deal in the last 24 months.

Kissing on both cheeks is the traditional gesture of warmth and friendship here in Canada so honestly I dont see what the problem is and why you should call it unprofessional. Now if he kissed her on the lips that would something else. It would be usual for him to behave as he has been brought up to behave here ie with our mores and I dont see why he should change this sort of harmless behaviour just because it bothers viewers in the world. Instead you as a Patrick fan should look at it as a cultural difference.

Thanks for your warm welcome, skatingfan4ever & spikydurian.
I need to make a corrections about the rink size since Olympic rink size would be the same as TEB

30m x 60m (Sochi & TEB)
26m x 61m (SC, NHL size rink)

Fujiapple

Spectator
I start to post because very big anxious. Please forum users give me strength to face this misgiving. :cry:

What happened to Patrick Chan~!!!!!!
I surprised to see the canadian national video. Force is not felt from him. His arms and legs feel weak. The other figure skating fans around me said Patrick lost some of his powerful stamina and his skating wavered. I can’t contradict their opinions. :bang:

I think Ottawa’s rink is not bigger than the TEB’s rink. But he didn’t reach the end of ice rink when he played his step. Why???

He has a very big rink coverage and this is one of the many benefits he has. But he lost this benefits at last 2 competitions. Especially at this national. He was much streamed with perspiration than usual. Did he have a cold???? I hope this condition down is temporary.

Today's news program informed 20 days left before the opening of Sochi Olympics. Well, I believe Patrick, but I must admit I'm nervous about his training process for Olympics.:scowl:

Lastly I’m a conservative country people. It may be just me, but excessive touch in the K&C doesn't look very good. I didn’t look the coach expressing more excessive intimacy than K. J. in this national. Each person has each several expression of emotion but I uncomfortable. The other figure skating fans around me said K. J. is not a Patrick chan’s coach but his another mom. :no:

emdee

Final Flight
I start to post because very big anxious. Please forum users give me strength to face this misgiving. :cry:

What happened to Patrick Chan~!!!!!!
I surprised to see the canadian national video. Force is not felt from him. His arms and legs feel weak. The other figure skating fans around me said Patrick lost some of his powerful stamina and his skating wavered. I can’t contradict their opinions. :bang:

I think Ottawa’s rink is not bigger than the TEB’s rink. But he didn’t reach the end of ice rink when he played his step. Why???

He has a very big rink coverage and this is one of the many benefits he has. But he lost this benefits at last 2 competitions. Especially at this national. He was much streamed with perspiration than usual. Did he have a cold???? I hope this condition down is temporary.

Today's news program informed 20 days left before the opening of Sochi Olympics. Well, I believe Patrick, but I must admit I'm nervous about his training process for Olympics.:scowl:

Lastly I’m a conservative country people. It may be just me, but excessive touch in the K&C doesn't look very good. I didn’t look the coach expressing more excessive intimacy than K. J. in this national. Each person has each several expression of emotion but I uncomfortable. The other figure skating fans around me said K. J. is not a Patrick chan’s coach but his another mom. :no:

Well, Kathy will be another mum....his mother inlaw....
I was not the least bit uncomfortable with her warmth. I guess it could make naturally cold people uncomfortable.