Patrick Chan | Page 124 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

alex123

Spectator
Congratulations Patrick!!! Silver is a great color!!!

But I can’t stop wondering if he has done everything he could leading to Olympics, I watched him skate since he won his first medal in pre novice, all through the years, ups and downs, I remember his triple axel used to be huge, flying across the ice, and for the last couple of years he’s been having problems with it. He needed help from a professional coach, after all Kathy Johnson is not a skating coach, no doubt she helped him a lot, but a technical advice would‘ve been a must. I sincerely hope that in years to come it will not haunt him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
so will he finally retire ?

I cant see him competing with future big guns next quad, Han Yan, Yuzuru Hanyu, Jason Brown etc

Will you finally retire?

I don't see you doing 1% of what your hate targets do or exhibit any of their admirable qualities. Are you delusional enough to think you raise your status by belittling the talented and honorable? You accomplish the opposite effect if you are clueless to know that.

I won't lower myself to respond to you again. You don't belong on this thread.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Will you finally retire?

I don't see you doing 1% of what your hate targets do or exhibit any of their admirable qualities. Are you delusional enough to think you raise your status by belittling the talented and honorable? You accomplish the opposite effect if you are clueless to know that.

I won't lower myself to respond to you again. You don't belong on this thread.

that was a question I asked, not a command to retire
maybe your misinterpreting my question :disapp:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
that was a question I asked, not a command to retire
maybe your misinterpreting my question :disapp:

Maybe I did, reacting based on how you generally present yourself on this board. Then I apologize.

Patrick may not retire but I don't think this is the time to make decision. .

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Patrick for winning the Silver Medal. Not the color he wanted but he has been the Gold standard for Men's figure skating for
these past four seasons and has the medals to prove it. :clap:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, I didn't watch it, but from the comments here, I see that Patrick has won a second Olympic silver medal. This is turning into Canada's silver Olympics. Maybe V&M can break the trend and win gold again (I doubt it, but you never know). I'll be able to comment more when I watch the programs. What a crazy ride this was. I've been a fan of Patrick's for, literally, seven years now. I really wanted him to win gold, but this result is a lot better than Vancouver. I just read an article that said that both Patrick and Yuzuru had mistakes. Sounds like it was an underwhelming night for everyone. Sigh. I just hope Patrick doesn't constantly beat himself up over it. It wasn't the Olympics he wanted, no skate of his life, no gold medal, but life goes on. I just want him to know that his skating is still sublime and that he's brought me plenty of joy over the years. I've said here before that I haven't been this moved by any skater since Michelle Kwan, and just like Michelle, it wasn't meant to be for Patrick. (Gee, for someone who hasn't watched any of the event yet, this post is getting quite long and I'm rambling again :laugh:).

Hey, Patrick, now you've joined the Orser and Stojko club! Not bad company at all. :)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Do we know if Patrick is planning to do Worlds this year? If so, I hope he can redeem himself there. I hope he can leave Four Seasons behind on a better note than this.

Gosh, this thread is making me cry now. Hugs to all my fellow Patrick fans wherever you are in the world.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I struck me when Patrick came on the ice today that he had the wrong colour for his costume. :p

Yes skatingfan4ever, Yuzuru fell on his 4S and had a fall equivalent on his 3A, and struggled through his program. Patrick almost had it with a gorgeous 4t/3T but he put two hands down after the next 4T. Further errors on a few other jumps took gold away from him even though he kept the program together outside the jumps. Just one fewer little mistake and he might have won. Joanie actually described it well with her tweet that he was presented the gold medal on a silver tray and he took the tray. Patrick beat himself. Still a great accomplishment on top of all his other successes.

Only Patrick gets bashed for an Olympic Silver, by a Bronze medalist friend, just like when he was a great disappointment with 5th place at the last Olympic while Cynthia Phaneuf's 5th place at Worlds was giddily applauded.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I thought this was the Patrick Chan fan thread? I think people who don't like him should never post here! Anyway, congratulations. I was really cheering him on after that beautiful opening jump, i thought this great Vivaldi program would bring him the Gold. :no: He looked so crushed and defeated. No reason for that, Silver is a wonderful acomplishment and being a 3 time consecutive World Champ ain't too shabby either!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Patrick's friend Kurt knows exactly how he must be feeling right now. He should talk to him ASAP and surround himself with positive people. I'm less worried about the medal color and more worried about Patrick's emotional well-being. This is probably a harder pill for Patrick to swallow than if both of them had skated better and Hanyu won. I just want to give him a huge hug right now. It's similar to how he must have felt after the 2013 Worlds FS. Well, I know I'm having a similar feeling to what I felt then. I'm stunned and disappointed, but only for Patrick's sake.

How is it that we come to care about certain skaters in such a personal way? I guess part of it with Patrick is that he's so open about his thoughts and emotions, whereas other skaters just give generic answers to the media. I care deeply about Patrick the person and not just Patrick the skater. I've never met him and yet I want to protect him from negativity and heartache. Am I strange for feeling this way?

spikydurian

Medalist
Do we know if Patrick is planning to do Worlds this year? If so, I hope he can redeem himself there. I hope he can leave Four Seasons behind on a better note than this.

Gosh, this thread is making me cry now. Hugs to all my fellow Patrick fans wherever you are in the world.

((((skatingfan4ever))))) too. No, I don't think any fan is certain what he intends to do after Sochi. He has not indicated he will retire but he did say he will take a year off. However, I think he will be skating at CSOI at least for this year. And Emdee and Coriana, as far as I know, will be attending. You never know... he may decide to stick on for a year or so before his final decision.

We will remember his beautiful Vivaldi at TEB, skatingfan. And SF is right (I too haven't watch the vids), he made too many little mistakes to grab the gold.

How is it that we come to care about certain skaters in such a personal way? I guess part of it with Patrick is that he's so open about his thoughts and emotions, whereas other skaters just give generic answers to the media. I care deeply about Patrick the person and not just Patrick the skater. I've never met him and yet I want to protect him from negativity and heartache. Am I strange for feeling this way?
:laugh: In my case, I am OLD, a mother and MIL so you can call it 'motherly instincts'. Patrick is a great kid with a kind heart and true to his friends. As an OLD HAG, life has taught that what lies beneath is more important though I admit Patrick's smiles is always a heart warmer. My experience tells me if you want to know what lies beneath the surface, look at how the person treats those beneath him/her when no one is looking. I don't think I have heard of any bad things about Patrick for those who know him well. He may have let slipped some comments which may have best kept unsaid because it could be misinterpreted and many times willfully by his detractors. Unfortunately, he's not a born politician but an athlete. Anyway, as you said, skatingfan, it would have been great if it had culminated in an OGM. But a silver ain't too bad. As a fan, I will take it. :biggrin:

I think he will get over it regarding the OGM. We all need to move on in different phases of our life. The four years for Patrick has passed. I am sure he has his plans set out on what he will to do, at least for the next two years. Will see.

emdee

Final Flight
Congratulations to Patrick for winning the Silver Medal. Not the color he wanted but he has been the Gold standard for Men's figure skating for

Thanks for your support in these dark hours.

emdee

Final Flight
When I think about it 4 time world champion Kurt came out with no medals so Patrick's silver is far from shabby.

vegarin

On the Ice

Ditto. I feel so bad for him like you wouldn't believe. :cry:

SGrand

Final Flight

I'd like to thank you too! I was so gutted, it's all he wanted, so much pressure, he's probably so down and feeling dejected, this puts it in perspective (and also my husband who was like: Ummm he won a SILVER medal at the Olympics, what's the problem??? LOL

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Come on guys. An Olympic Silver Medal is such a tragedy? It is a great accomplishment, not a failure. It is disappointment for Patrick but life goes on with all the success and honours he already has. Patrick and we have so much to be grateful for. Dark hours? Feeling so bad like you wouldn't believe? Do you know what real suffering is? What real tragedies are? What real failures are? Don't the media bring it to you every single day what so many people have to get through?

It is one thing to set the highest goal and aspiration to lead the journey, but the journey itself is reality, is life itself to be enjoyed and cherished. An Olympic Gold medal is an extremely high aspiration but one in Figure Skating is darn near impossible, because it is extremely mental and out in front of millions with every second being critical and irretrievable. It is darn near impossible to balance the determination and wanting it too much under such circumstances and on slippery ice. That is why there is always at least one surprise medalist every time, someone without all the pressure and expectation who can skate with carefree focus. Oxymoron, right? But that's what it takes, carefree focus. Where do you find that when you carry the whole nation's decades of frustration on your shoulders, making it your responsibility?

Does not owning an OGM make Kurt Browning and Michelle Kwan failures? Great failures of figure skating or in life? Like I said earlier, what is meant to be must be and will be accepted. We don't know what's next around the corner. Let's be open to and be aware of all the blessings in our lives and be grateful. For now, let's celebrate his Silver Medals, of the Olympic persuasion, two of them!

If you are deep in sorrows, it is time again to take a deep breath and, Ohmmmmmmmmmmm.

I know Patrick is hurting right now but I am not going to indulge him or myself. There have been too many good things in his life with many more to come.

SGrand

Final Flight
Ditto. I feel so bad for him like you wouldn't believe. :cry:

I actually cannot believe how sad I am for him. He's probably fine and dealing with it, and here I am getting all teary eyed every time the news comes on. :no:

emdee

Final Flight
Guru,
I watched on my office TV tears streaming down my face....
My family has been extra loving today.

All my sadness was for the poor boy.
For myself I have a wonderful life and a wonderful family.
I know this is small in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway we have had a wonderful ride with Patrick these last few years.
I hope he accomplishes all he wants in the rest of his life.