Patrick Chan | Page 128 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
yyyyskate said:
I watched his impromptu speech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zEx55rmwU and also this CBC promo about the history of Canadian male skaters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYmBMIX0PcU
I had to say that is a great speech, and I have my utter respect for Canadian legend male skaters, who just like Patrick said has pushed this sports forward and contributed tremendously, including Selflessly coaching skaters from other countries to OGM!
Thanks for the link. I love the interview too. It was impromptu and heartfelt and I like that he thanked and acknowledged those who have helped him along the way esp. Michael Slipchuk. Sometimes, it is so easy to forget those who worked tirelessly behind the scenes. He looked happy and able to put his disappointment behind him. I feel relieved and happy for him but with a tinge of regret. Yes, regret that I may not be able to see him skate again. Yet, like many of his fans, we can understand whatever decision he choose.

Here's a post on I found on his Facebook by a fan. I copied every word without changing anything. It's the very same reason I love this 'kid'.
I watched Patrick practice when he was 14 or 15. He was exhausted and bent over perfecting small unnoticeable things to me. But his coach was relentlessly demanding. As I past him to get my daughter ready for practice he smiled that now famous smile even then. I new this kid was special and he has proven under intense pressure. He never never gets angry at critics. He's dealt with you lot who get to edit what you do but he only has one chance to perform

Was just going to post this!
http://olympics.cbc.ca/videos/video/the-sheepdogs-women-hockey-final-musical.html

Him and Scott are at 1:07 and 1:31 :)
SGrand, it's geo blocked in Australia. :-(

skatingfan, I like your avatar. I want one for mine too. Anyway, Patrick's Sochi pix is on my Facebook background.:)

Pix of Patrick skating with Mao. I think they may be practising for the Gala tonight?

And this short vid is incredibly cute. The expressions of Scott Moir and Patrick are priceless.

figuristka

Medalist
Perhaps Patrick can compete next Olympics in ice dance :) Looking forward to the gala as its fun to see single skaters ice dance.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
skatingfan, I like your avatar. I want one for mine too. Anyway, Patrick's Sochi pix is on my Facebook background.:)
I sent you a PM. Do you want exactly the same picture as me or a different one? If you want the same one, maybe I can figure out how to send it to you on here.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Does Canada have promising junior men right now? Are there senior men who are likely to improve drastically over the next four years? I'm wondering whether Patrick could still win more National titles and/or make more more World teams if he kept competing. Let's forget about the international field for the moment. If the Canadian men's field is such that Patrick can still place well at Nationals, he could still represent Canada in Pyeongchang. His placement internationally would be anyone's guess though. Michelle skipped the GP entirely from 2003-2005 and only did Nationals and Worlds. That was in the 6.0 era; is it even allowed now? Then there's the matter of where Patrick's heart is and what else he wants to accomplish in his skating career. All that said, how likely is it that he can win or place well if he competes at subsequent Nationals?

SGrand

Final Flight
I think he's pretty safe in Canada, I don't really see anyone surpassing him anytime soon to be honest. Maybe I'm missing someone? Would love to see him win a few more national titles and keep on competing for himself.

OT: But just watched the Gala and Patrick was great, love this exhibition piece. Someone mentioned he should have used it for his Short. Maybe, if we're lucky, he could use it for next year??? :)))

torontonian

Rinkside
Does Canada have promising junior men right now? Are there senior men who are likely to improve drastically over the next four years? I'm wondering whether Patrick could still win more National titles and/or make more more World teams if he kept competing. Let's forget about the international field for the moment. If the Canadian men's field is such that Patrick can still place well at Nationals, he could still represent Canada in Pyeongchang. His placement internationally would be anyone's guess though. Michelle skipped the GP entirely from 2003-2005 and only did Nationals and Worlds. That was in the 6.0 era; is it even allowed now? Then there's the matter of where Patrick's heart is and what else he wants to accomplish in his skating career. All that said, how likely is it that he can win or place well if he competes at subsequent Nationals?

Perhaps Nam Nguyen or Roman Sadovsky? As much as I would dearly, dearly love for Chan to continue competing in these ranks after this year, there are too many signs that he will be retiring from the amateur competitive ranks.. I wish the very best for Patrick Chan, and for all of the Canadian skaters, in the future. :)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I watched the gala live (nothing to be nervous about!). Patrick skated to Steppin' Out and had a HUGE smile on his face. I wondered if he would bring back Yesterday or Time to Say Goodbye for the Olys Ex. I'm so glad he didn't. If he had, I would have burst into tears. As it was, I was smiling the entire time. NO ONE moves like Patrick on the ice! He is such a SPECIAL SKATER! :love:

He was also chosen to speak on behalf of the skaters at the end of the gala, thanking the IOC for putting on the event (in English and French). He also thanked the crowd in Russian! :) Before and after the speech, he had a group hug with the gold medalists. It was precious. His last sentence was, “Thank you for the great memories - hot, cool, yours, and now ours.”

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks skatingfan for the PM re. avatar. Silly me, I looked under profile instead of settings. Will try to figure out how to download the pix in the right size failing which I will PM you or I have my 'boys' to help me. The younger generation is more tech savy than this oldie.

Oh yes, galas are nothing to be nervous about. I wish Patrick has taken up ice dancing. It's less nervous watching ice dancing.:laugh: Yesterday was a beautiful piece dedicated to Mr Colson. And indeed, if he has skated to Yesterday, my heart will feel overwhelmed of what is to come. Really wished Mr Colson had lived the day Patrick won his first Worlds. (OK, just fantasizing).

Re. junior men in Canada, IMO, I think there are three upcoming youngsters in Nam Nyuen, Roman Sadovsky and Eric Lui I would watch out for. They are not up there yet with the elites. Only time will tell. And I am sure the current seniors in Liam, Andrei, Balde, Kevin will keep growing. Kevin is already among the top 10. He had boot problems so that affected his Olympic season unfortunately. Patrick talked about wanting to give a World one more go but not sure whether it will be this coming Worlds or next. Meanwhile, we shall wait for the announcement. :)

Patrick's thank you speech on behalf of the skaters. I read somewhere that the skaters voted for him to give the short speech which is heartening for one can assume he is well-liked and respected to be given the honour by the other skaters to do so.

SGrand, I love his jazy Ex too. Sooo smooooooth.....

SGrand

Final Flight
I watched the gala live (nothing to be nervous about!). Patrick skated to Steppin' Out and had a HUGE smile on his face. I wondered if he would bring back Yesterday or Time to Say Goodbye for the Olys Ex. I'm so glad he didn't. If he had, I would have burst into tears. As it was, I was smiling the entire time. NO ONE moves like Patrick on the ice! He is such a SPECIAL SKATER! :love:

He was also chosen to speak on behalf of the skaters at the end of the gala, thanking the IOC for putting on the event (in English and French). He also thanked the crowd in Russian! :) Before the speech, he had a group hug with the gold medalists. It was precious. IIRC, his last sentence was, “Thanks for the memories, hot, cool, yours, and now ours” (although that sounds odd, so please correct it if you heard differently :laugh:). I was watching the BBC feed.

Oh god, me too, I would have lost my **** if he skated to Yesterday LOL. He was so great, loved his Ex, loved the group hug, the speech and the group routine. What was going on with his shirt at the end of everything? He was fiddling around with the buttons or something when everyone was skating around the rink at the end and he was with Tessa and Scott. I almost think Scott ripped it open or something as a joke, no clue lol. PC likes deep V's anyway haha!

Was he really chosen by the skaters to speak on behalf of them??? If so, that just shows the respect they have for him as a friend, skater and competitor.

figuristka

Medalist
Patrick's adorable, i am glad he is so well respected with officials and skaters. Loved the clip with Mao :) Patrick was clipped by Yuzuru's blade accidently i believe so that;s why he was unbuttoning his shirt to see.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Can I just say that I adore Patrick to death and I am an American?!

I loved him before the Olympics and love him even more now. He is brilliant and exquisite on the ice and the best ever as far as skating skills, quads, and artistry go. He is also an adorable, personable, buoyant, and lovely human being who took his defeat with such grace. I have loved seeing all these photos and videos of him having fun at the Olympics. He has a wonderful sense of humor, a great sense of perspective, and a joyfulness about him that are so attractive and admirable. I use him as a wonderful role model for my two sons. Grace in defeat. Irrepressible good humor and happiness.

and he's so handsome and cute and endearing.

I hope he skates pro and helps revive pro competitions and tours and specials with his genius.

Coriana

On the Ice
Thanks for the pics, and vids, spikey, especially the thank you from the Gala. CBC showed the event, but stopped short of the finale.

SGrand

Final Flight
Very cool during the closing ceremony to hear a lot of music used for figure skating hahaha!
I definitely heard Patrick's SP of Elegie :)

emdee

Final Flight
Patrick's adorable, i am glad he is so well respected with officials and skaters. Loved the clip with Mao :) Patrick was clipped by Yuzuru's blade accidently i believe so that;s why he was unbuttoning his shirt to see.

I have seen patrick offering thanks at a few events. He is probably the only bilingual skater.

I am so happy that he enjoyed all the hockey and curling games with Scott and Tessa. He is like a little brother to Scott who respects him a lot. Since 2009 they have gone to the same GPF events etc.

spikydurian

Medalist
:eek: Holy CRAP!!!!!! Missed that in the Gala!
Must have been when the men were skating down the ice and the camera coverage showed.........the women CLAPPING for the love of god!

What women clapping? Can't see any?

Pamina, don't think it was intentional. Anyway, good to know that Patrick's chest is still intact.:biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
um... maybe I'm too sensitive, but that looks crazy dangerous :unsure: not sure I'd still be laughing....
Chill down, I think it's just accidentally. It's good that he was not injured. You know, it was so crowded at the time, thank God it's no harm. Don't be worry, skaters meet all kind of these incidents. Patrick was laughing right after that, I think he's okay.;)