Patrick Chan | Page 129 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Fujiapple

Spectator
The Winter Olympics of confusion were over. I hoped you enjoyed this Olympics regardless of the result. When I saw your gala, I felt assured of your behavior and skating. You rose above the other skaters.

Congrats on your silver medals, Patrick. No matter how hard I think, the final conclusion was you are a true champion.

My worst fears became a reality. The judge's decisions are tendentious in men game. In fact, all of them are in these figure skating games. K.J. proved herself was an armchair, incapable coach and KIA. She had no strategy for Patrik. She made a decision on her own and exploited her only student. All the rumours about K.J. turned out to be true. When he changed the coach, I had to express strong opposition to the plans. "Patrick is nice", "Patrick is good", "Patrick is fine".............. Damn!!!!!!!!!!! All of this is "Self hypnosis". Repentance comes too late.

K.J is a charlatan. Dance is similar to figure skating??? YES!!!!!!! IT IS SIMILAR BUT EQUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the decisive factor. Mr. Colson taught Patrick that 'on ice jump' is not equal to 'off ice jump'. Does K.J. really know the difference between two jump???? How about skating skill???? I recognize benefit side of dance on the figure skating. BUT it is only a secondary thing. All stakers are not ballerino and all ballerino are not skaters. Repentance comes too too late.

So I really admire Patrick for what he has done. He have trained under the abnormal coaching conditions. His jumps began to falter and his skating lost the characteristic power at the last moment. The mind boggles at the pressures that could be in store for him in all probability. In spite of many unfavorable factors surrounding him, he get the his medals. History will forever recognize you as a true champion.

Patrick Chan is a great chapter in my figure skating fan life. He presented me with many unforgettable experiences. I always appreciate it. I don't know his choice but I'll be behind him all the way. Thank you, Patrick Chan~!!!!!

P.S.
Listen to mother's words and be ruled by her, Patrick!!!!!! This is absolute right and appropriate. So stop arguing and heal a breach between you and your mother. Why are you at the awkward age now????

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Chill down, I think it's just accidentally. It's good that he was not injured. You know, it was so crowded at the time, thank God it's no harm. Don't be worry, skaters meet all kind of these incidents. Patrick was laughing right after that, I think he's okay.;)
I can see that it was an accident ;) didn’t mean to accuse him of attempted murder. I just thought it looked less like a funny-ninja-skating-moment and more like "whoa, watch what you’re doing with those things, you almost filleted somebody"

Meoima

Match Penalty
I can see that it was an accident ;) didn’t mean to accuse him of attempted murder. I just thought it looked less like a funny-ninja-skating-moment and more like "whoa, watch what you’re doing with those things, you almost filleted somebody"
Yeah, it's good that they are having so much fun. I hope both of them the best at world champ next month.

spikydurian

Medalist
Yeah, fortunately no scar as a keepsake.;)

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the responses about the future of the Canadian men. I'm not suggesting that Patrick would come back or even that he should. I don't follow US juniors, let alone international juniors, so I was merely curious. Actually, Patrick is the reason I started caring about other countries' Nationals in the first place. :biggrin:

I just want to watch Patrick skate as many times as possible. Whether that's in shows or competitions doesn't matter to me. YouTube will be essential for this, so I hope kind souls will upload all of his future programs for us to enjoy.

Is Patrick likely to be doing media stuff once he returns to Canada? I know he didn't win gold, but an OSM is still something to be proud of. I don't know if the Canadian media sees it that way though. If he does do some interviews, I hope they ask him about what he enjoyed in Sochi or what his happiest memories are and not only "what happened in the competition."

SGrand

Final Flight
What women clapping? Can't see any?

Pamina, don't think it was intentional. Anyway, good to know that Patrick's chest is still intact.:biggrin:

Oh, it was when the men were still skating together and the camera went off them to show the women skaters clapping for them. No big deal, just would have been nice to see the choreography instead of skaters applause LOL. :)

SGrand

Final Flight
Yeah, it's good that they are having so much fun. I hope both of them the best at world champ next month.

Any word yet on if Patrick if going to worlds? I haven't heard and I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped this one. I'm sure Yuzuru will go since it's in Japan and he's young :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I was in the arena and I have to say his lp was really beautiful, the last minute was mesmerizing, I may have been bigger fan of Hanyu but after his performance I was wishing for a clean skate and a great Oly performance by Chan, despite the mistakes I thought this Lp was one of my favs of the night and gave a SO, i hope it doesnt feel like losing the gold, but winning the silver, it is an awesome accomplishment , actually two medals in one week!

It is very nice of you to voice your appreciation of Patrick's skating here. Much appreciated.

Can I just say that I adore Patrick to death and I am an American?!

I loved him before the Olympics and love him even more now. He is brilliant and exquisite on the ice and the best ever as far as skating skills, quads, and artistry go. He is also an adorable, personable, buoyant, and lovely human being who took his defeat with such grace. I have loved seeing all these photos and videos of him having fun at the Olympics. He has a wonderful sense of humor, a great sense of perspective, and a joyfulness about him that are so attractive and admirable. I use him as a wonderful role model for my two sons. Grace in defeat. Irrepressible good humor and happiness.

and he's so handsome and cute and endearing.

I hope he skates pro and helps revive pro competitions and tours and specials with his genius.

So good to read how you share my feelings about Patrick. :love:

Now that the 2014 Olympics is over and Patrick has won two medals, I hope it is a milestone and turning point in his skating career. I hope he puts the pressure of Canadian hope for OGM behind him and starts skating with a new free spirit to be the best he can be regardless of competition results. I hope he skates and competes for as long as he feels he can still be better and lets that be his motivation. Medals will come anyway, especially if he won't be too attached to them but focus on enjoying and challenging himself. If he does, we too will benefit. But do what you feel right for yourself, Patrick. Follow your heart and your bliss. I thank you for years of joy and pride you have given us.

And, please, stay away from others' skates! That was scary!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States

I loved him before the Olympics and love him even more now. He is brilliant and exquisite on the ice and the best ever as far as skating skills, quads, and artistry go. He is also an adorable, personable, buoyant, and lovely human being who took his defeat with such grace. I have loved seeing all these photos and videos of him having fun at the Olympics. He has a wonderful sense of humor, a great sense of perspective, and a joyfulness about him that are so attractive and admirable. I use him as a wonderful role model for my two sons. Grace in defeat. Irrepressible good humor and happiness.

I hope he skates pro and helps revive pro competitions and tours and specials with his genius.
I agree with you completely, wordsworthgirl. I am an American as well and Patrick is at the top of my all-time favorite skaters list. He has a Hamilton-esque smile, personality, and optimism, and Hamilton was the skater who started SOI, so you never know. Patrick's smile just lights up the room. He is not letting me be sad about the OSM because he's so happy! I'm sad momentarily whenever I think about how he skated in the LP, but all I have to do is picture his smile and his laughter and the sadness goes away instantly. I was going to bold the parts of your post that I agree with the most, but I can't pick and choose because I agree with everything! :laugh:

Now that the 2014 Olympics is over and Patrick has won two medals, I hope it is a milestone and turning point in his skating career. I hope he puts the pressure of Canadian hope for OGM behind him and starts skating with a new free spirit to be the best he can be regardless of competition results. I hope he skates and competes for as long as he feels he can still be better and lets that be his motivation. Medals will come anyway, especially if he won't be too attached to them but focus on enjoying and challenging himself. If he does, we too will benefit. But do what you feel right for yourself, Patrick. Follow your heart and your bliss. I thank you for years of joy and pride you have given us.
I can't wait to see where Patrick's heart takes him next. Patrick thanked Sochi for the great memories and I, in turn, want to thank HIM for the great memories he has given us thus far. Here's to many more!

spikydurian

Medalist
Oh, it was when the men were still skating together and the camera went off them to show the women skaters clapping for them. No big deal, just would have been nice to see the choreography instead of skaters applause LOL. :)
Maybe the camera men were eyeing the women.:p

I watched the delayed telecast of the Closing Ceremony in Australia. Was so disappointed that they kept focusing on the Russian team all the time. Of course, I was trying to look out for Patrick's face. So I turned off the t.v.

skatingfan said:
I can't wait to see where Patrick's heart takes him next. Patrick thanked Sochi for the great memories and I, in turn, want to thank HIM for the great memories he has given us thus far. Here's to many more!
Nice. Me too. Time to handle my withdrawal effects . :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Maybe the camera men were eyeing the women.:p
I watched the delayed telecast of the Closing Ceremony in Australia. Was so disappointed that they kept focusing on the Russian team all the time. Of course, I was trying to look out for Patrick's face. So I turned off the t.v.
It's always the women they see. Camera men! Anyways, anyone know if Chan will compete in the Worlds next month?

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I agree with you completely, wordsworthgirl. I am an American as well and Patrick is at the top of my all-time favorite skaters list. He has a Hamilton-esque smile, personality, and optimism, and Hamilton was the skater who started SOI, so you never know. Patrick's smile just lights up the room. He is not letting me be sad about the OSM because he's so happy! I'm sad momentarily whenever I think about how he skated in the LP, but all I have to do is picture his smile and his laughter and the sadness goes away instantly. I was going to bold the parts of your post that I agree with the most, but I can't pick and choose because I agree with everything! :laugh:

You and I are sympatico! thanks for sharing! xxoo

Hubbi991

Spectator
Hello there, first time posting!

I've been spending the last days going through the threads, enjoying the olympics, and being overwhelmed by the controversies, fights and passion of this fandom ; I'm a relatively new fan to the sport (I've known Yuna Kim for a few years, and Asada), and It saddens me to figure how much time I've waste without acknowledging the beauty of FS as a whole.

Ok, that said, I'll admit that I only watched the Men's Event because of Hanyu, at first. But really, Chan won my heart. (love them both + Takahashi). He's amazing, has gorgeous lines, great presence, and, obviously, amazing technical skills ( I read and learnt so much about protocols and scores, thanks to this forum, that I'm almost confident to say that I know he has great technique hah)

I have a question to the veterans; how well known is Patrick? I mean, I know he's a 3 time World Champion, but I just watched a mini canadian documentary about him (recorded in 2012), and one of his and Kurt Browning's complains is that "he is a star in a non-star sport". I thought that he was well received in Russia (??)
Dunno why I care about his popularity... maybe because I want him to be acknowledge? He's such a pure talent...
Also I make these words mine (and sorry for my poor english :eek:hwell: ) :

Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl

Violet

Rinkside
Hi Hubbi,

I am kind of new to this forum but have been a skating fan since 2007. Patrick is definitely a big star in this sport but figure skating is no longer popular in Canada. Hockey is their "national sport" right now. That's why Kurt said Patrick is skating at the wrong time in terms of financial success. I am not sure if he is well-known in Russia but in Japan, definitely. The reason is simply because figure skating is so popular in Japan these days than anywhere else in the world...

BTW, are you really from Brazil? I am surprised that there are Brazilian skating fans :)

I just heard that Kevin and Nam Nguyen have confirmed that they will go to worlds. Then it is very unlikely that Patrick will go. :(

torontonian

Rinkside
I just heard that Kevin and Nam Nguyen have confirmed that they will go to worlds. Then it is very unlikely that Patrick will go. :(

Welcome! :) I am also a long-time fan, but somewhat new here.

I can believe what you are saying. Very interesting that they could be sending Nam Nguyen now, instead of, say, Elladj Baldé. Do you happen to have a published/printed source handy, where they name (some of) the Canadian male skaters who would be attending Worlds? I assume that Liam Firus would be attending...

I wish Patrick Chan all of the best for whatever things he decides to do in the future, both inside and outside of figure skating. He is special... :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Skaters not sent may not have the minimum TES required for Worlds. I am not sure where Balde is with qualifying.

torontonian

Rinkside
Skaters not sent may not have the minimum TES required for Worlds. I am not sure where Balde is with qualifying.

In looking at http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan2013/ , for Skate Canada (ISU Grand Prix competition from October 2013), Balde scored a TES of 40.71 in the SP and a TES of 67.06 in the FS there. Which meets the TES requirements (at least 34 in SP, at least 63 in FS) outlined by the ISU in http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/90917/wc2014_announcement.pdf . So, it looks like the TES requirement would not be the reason for Balde not attending Worlds.

Editing further to add that it looks like both Balde and Nam Nguyen exceeded the minimum TES during the most recent Four Continents championship http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2014/index.htm

Last edited:

Hubbi991

Spectator
Hi Hubbi,

I am kind of new to this forum but have been a skating fan since 2007. Patrick is definitely a big star in this sport but figure skating is no longer popular in Canada. Hockey is their "national sport" right now. That's why Kurt said Patrick is skating at the wrong time in terms of financial success. I am not sure if he is well-known in Russia but in Japan, definitely. The reason is simply because figure skating is so popular in Japan these days than anywhere else in the world...

BTW, are you really from Brazil? I am surprised that there are Brazilian skating fans :)

Thanks so much for the welcome!

Aaaahh, got it! But it's a little shame that his talent is not so well known as I expected in his homeland... What to do, in my country few people care about FS, so I can't actually say much.
Yes, brazilian skater fan here! I have seen a few brazilians fans in the forum, like 2 or 3 people; we don't have any sort of force in the sport, so is easy to have a lot of favorites :laugh: We had one skater this olys, Isadora Willians. It was the first time EVER that a brazilian skater went to compete in the Oly Games. People here actually enjoy the sport every four years, but that's all. Unfortunately .

Sad that he won't go to worlds :(

spikydurian

Medalist
Sad that he won't go to worlds :(
Hi Hubbi991. I don't think it is confirmed yet that he won't go to 2014 Worlds though the signs are that he won't be. He was enjoying post competition cheering his Olympic team mates until he lost his voice.:biggrin: He didn't return straight to training after the competition. He did indicate he wanted to take a rest before deciding his next move.

Violet, where did you hear that Nam will be going to the Worlds? The skater who qualified to go to the Worlds are Kevin, Nam and Balde. I don't think Liam qualfied? I may be wrong. Did Jeremy Ten qualify?

torontonian

Rinkside
Hi Hubbi991. I don't think it is confirmed yet that he won't go to 2014 Worlds though the signs are that he won't be. He was enjoying post competition cheering his Olympic team mates until he lost his voice.:biggrin: He didn't return straight to training after the competition. He did indicate he wanted to take a rest before deciding his next move.

Violet, where did you hear that Nam will be going to the Worlds? The skater who qualified to go to the Worlds are Kevin, Nam and Balde. I don't think Liam qualfied? I may be wrong. Did Jeremy Ten qualify?

Ooh, good point about Liam Firus and Jeremy Ten. I am unsure about whether Liam Firus has qualified for Worlds. I do not think Jeremy Ten has qualified, as per his tweet after Four Continents: "Missed my world's minimum by .56 for the free. If that's not a sign I don't know what is. Its been fun. Thanks for all the support everyone." From https://twitter.com/j3r3bear/status/426733473236135937?screen_name=j3r3bear , referencing this result from Four Continents: http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2014/SEG002.HTM

Last edited: