Patrick Chan | Page 133 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

spikydurian

Medalist
I would try to watch and understand curling if PChan decides that will be his new sport career. :yay:
Me too. :laugh:I don't know anything about curling (no ice in Australia) except (I heard) it's quite similar to lawn bowls. I think it was a family and friend outing for Patrick. Apparently, Dad Lewis was there too.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Aww Curling...the game of inches and not as easy as it looks hurling a 40 lb piece of granite with the right weight to make the shot.........takes years to do it right, but it's a fun game. I think Patrick just likes all sports in general and likes to give them a try. I wonder how he did with the curling :laugh:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Aww Curling...the game of inches and not as easy as it looks hurling a 40 lb piece of granite with the right weight to make the shot.........takes years to do it right, but it's a fun game. I think Patrick just likes all sports in general and likes to give them a try. I wonder how he did with the curling :laugh:
Is curling on TV in Canada more often than the Olympics, since Canadians are relatively successful in it (more so than Americans anyway)? I know hockey is the "national sport" and coverage of everything else pales in comparison. How much TV exposure does curling get in Canada?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I had a good chuckle with the report of China in the running and doing very well in curling. It is such a weird sport and it isn't cheap and easily accessible, requiring special facility to play in and on. How the heck did China pick up this game?! :confused: :laugh:

I don't think those curling men are very willing and happy to pick up and use a broom at home. :)

Coriana

On the Ice
Is curling on TV in Canada more often than the Olympics, since Canadians are relatively successful in it (more so than Americans anyway)? I know hockey is the "national sport" and coverage of everything else pales in comparison. How much TV exposure does curling get in Canada?

It certainly is. We've had a major curling event - both men's and women's on TV pretty well every afternoon and night on one channel or another since well before the Olympics. I'm actually beginning to enjoy it - although I manage to do a few other things for the first four or five rocks in each end.

spikydurian

Medalist
Coriana, sounds like the exposure for curling is better than figure skating in Canada! OK, I read up on curling and am surprised that it was invented in 1541! I thought it was an offshoot of hockey for older people - the broom and rock, stick and puck.:laugh:

SF, I wonder whether a local or expatriate brought the game to China? Was there a team from China for curling in the recent Olympics?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I don't think those curling men are very willing and happy to pick up and use a broom at home. :)
The brooms are useless in curling anyway, they don't actually do anything. Ron Burgundy said so! ;-D

Suzzie

Rinkside
I love curling. one of the most favorite in winter games. i'll be glad if Patrick becomes curling player, but not now. I'd prefer to see him skating.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Coriana, sounds like the exposure for curling is better than figure skating in Canada! OK, I read up on curling and am surprised that it was invented in 1541! I thought it was an offshoot of hockey for older people - the broom and rock, stick and puck.:laugh:

Maybe it's from scissor, paper, rock. :)

SF, I wonder whether a local or expatriate brought the game to China? Was there a team from China for curling in the recent Olympics?

It was from the Olympic news that I learned that China had a strong curling team. They lost the semi final to Sweden in Sochi.

Coriana

On the Ice
I've only just begun to watch the sport - but it appears there are an enormous number of people who participate -even at the elite level.
There are many tournaments and the tournaments span at least a week - usually ten days. Canada is currently hosting the Women's Worlds in St. John, NB, and the overage has been pretty good, up till today, when I can't find Canada vs. Korea. I'm sure it will turn up, but not live. Each team plays 9 or 10 times before the semi finals - for which there may be tie breaking games.

The competition is Canada is fierce in both men and women. Since we've had quite a few World and Olympic Champions, it's very popular indeed, and since so many people play for recreation, there's a big fan base.

A lot of Scots settled this country in the early days, and Scottish place names abound, so the game is well established here. We're beating the pants off Scotland in recent tournaments.

So that we are entirely diverted from the title of this thread, Patrick was working on his new programme at a rink in the north of Toronto, actually Vaughan, this morning... according to a tweet from someone at the rink.

spikydurian

Medalist
Skatefiguring said:
How the heck did China pick up this game?
Oh well, I read that their coach is a Canadian, Marcel Rocque. But I still cannot figure out how on earth China got interested in curling.

The wiki says Canada is one of the dominant countries in curling. I think when a country does well in a sport, it does help to raise interest among the general population in the sport. Success breeds success. Didn't Patrick watch the Canadian team win the curling gold at Sochi? It must have inspired him to play curling when he got back to Toronto. :)

Patrick back in Toronto celebrating his silver medals with Don Jackson, retired skating coach and former figure skater, Karen Sebesta, a senior producer at CBC and others. Don is looking good especially in his yellow shirt. I like yellow.... it's a happy colour.

emdee

Final Flight
So that we are entirely diverted from the title of this thread, Patrick was working on his new programme at a rink in the north of Toronto, actually Vaughan, this morning... according to a tweet from someone at the rink.

I wonder who is doing the choreo for him in Vaughan... do you think he will go nats and worlds next year? Maybe some of the GP as well. Or may be just new show choreo.

Coriana

On the Ice
I wonder who is doing the choreo for him in Vaughan... do you think he will go nats and worlds next year? Maybe some of the GP as well. Or may be just new show choreo.

It is a programme for SOI, but he referred to it as a "new short". Probably Jeff. The radio link just posted above will tell you more about what he hasn't decided for his future.

Suzzie

Rinkside
Thanks Suzzie for the radio link. Happy to hear that he's keeping his options opened for now. I wouldn't mind another Worlds for Patrick.

Here's the link to Patrick's event at Earl Haigh School. This event is live streamed to all Toronto District School Board schools.

very welcome!
and thank you for Earl High School event link. my twitter dashboard is full of pics from that event :)

this is a link for another radio talk with Patrick. this time TSN http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Mike Richards in the Morning Patrick Chan March 21.mp3

kresslia

Medalist
That's nuts. I graduated from Earl Haig last year. Now I'm super disappointed I didn't graduate a year later, lol

spikydurian

Medalist
That's nuts. I graduated from Earl Haig last year. Now I'm super disappointed I didn't graduate a year later, lol
You could have gone to visit as an alma mater.;) I heard some students from nearby schools dropped by EH.

Apparently, Patrick also visited his former high school (Ecole Secondaire Etienne-Brule) too after Earl Haig.

And lucky Patrick receiving a personalised jersey from Toronto Rapters!

Just found this. Patrick's interview at Canada AM. He's looking good, and his skin looks flawless. :)

Kelly

On the Ice
You could have gone to visit as an alma mater.;) I heard some students from nearby schools dropped by EH.

Apparently, Patrick also visited his former high school (Ecole Secondaire Etienne-Brule) too after Earl Haig.

And lucky Patrick receiving a personalised jersey from Toronto Rapters!

Just found this. Patrick's interview at Canada AM. He's looking good, and his skin looks flawless. :)

Thanks for the links. I am so glad to see a refreshing Patrick especially in the last link and to hear he cherishes his Olympic experiences is all good.