Patrick Chan | Page 169 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Congrats, Patrick! You were awesome!

Patrck-Yuzuru : 1:0

I'm so excited about their fight in the season!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I just love how there was absolutely no hesitation in any of his jumps. Once he has his jumps down like that he's virtually untouchable in everything else.

All his landings were so secure and naturally flowing. Everything just flows when one is in The Zone, as most aptly and beautifully demonstrated in figure skating by the master of the blade himself.

Minding one's mind is the training and the way to get into The Zone at will. I hope Patrick has now learned his way into that state of flow and can pull it out of his pocket whenever he needs it.

Patrick, compete every day by maintaining peak health with nourishing diet and restful sleep, by getting the choreography and music down pat, by training intelligently to move toward your technical and artistic goals......... but don't compete on competition days and especially not when you are on ice alone with the music. The program is already ingrained in your whole body and mind. Focus on the moment, the joy, the performance and just flow with the music. The body movements are taken care of, just as your everyday breathing, heart beats, digestion, endocrine function, etc. Just flow.

Congrats, Patrick. Happy to see a great come back. Just enjoy your skating as you say, and all will (fall) into place medal or no medal.:cheer:

Yes, Patrick, don't worry, be happy. When you are happy, we are happy too.

Let's all do happiness!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Okay, who here was too excited to go to sleep last night after Patrick's performance? (Raises hand)

Just watched and listen to a bunch of different videos of his performance and the analysis, and they seem to agree that although Patrick's program was technically not as difficult as Hanyu's, the quality in every element was undeniable.

Also forgot to mention that I loved how PJ Kwong asked why Patrick put his face in his hands at the end, and Patrick said it was because he couldn't believe it. Just 4-5 minutes before his program he was still going through that roller coaster of emotions, and then the talk with Kathy was what he needed. What a remarkable turnaround in such a short time! If Patrick can do this every time he competes, he will be unstoppable!

Article: http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/...-figure-skating-daisuke-murakami-adam-rippon/

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Okay, who here was too excited to go to sleep last night after Patrick's performance? (Raises hand)

Just watched and listen to a bunch of different videos of his performance and the analysis, and they seem to agree that although Patrick's program was technically not as difficult as Hanyu's, the quality in every element was undeniable.

Also forgot to mention that I loved how PJ Kwong asked why Patrick put his face in his hands at the end, and Patrick said it was because he couldn't believe it. Just 4-5 minutes before his program he was still going through that roller coaster of emotions, and then the talk with Kathy was what he needed. What a remarkable turnaround in such a short time! If Patrick can do this every time he competes, he will be unstoppable!

Article: http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/...-figure-skating-daisuke-murakami-adam-rippon/

I didn't sleep until 2 am ET.
Thank heavens I got an extra hour of sleep but I still slept only 4 hours.

But I am now retired and have time to catch up on my sleep!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I didn't sleep until 2 am ET.
Thank heavens I got an extra hour of sleep but I still slept only 4 hours.

But I am now retired and have time to catch up on my sleep!

It was a good reason worth staying up for, eh? And we were very understandingly gifted an extra hour. :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Patrick! What a performance! We may have our own favorites but for me
and imo you cannot deny greatness when it is right in front of your eyes. Patrick was in a class
of his own, well deserved Gold Medal! :bow:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
It was a good reason worth staying up for, eh? And we were very understandingly gifted an extra hour. :)

Yes! Alas, I think I shall have to catch up on my sleep tonight, as my toddler daughter woke me up at 4 a.m...

So, being bleary-eyed and bushy-tailed, I've been trying to find a large image of Patrick from last night so I could see exactly what his top looks like up close. Is is a thick shirt? A light sweater? And is it light gray with mottled dark gray all over?

From this image I can see sequins? all over it. I know there are some colored ones around the cuff and on his chest. Tis the most mysterious pattern I've ever seen a skater wear! I wonder who designed it? Did they get their inspiration from marble countertops or video games? Here's another picture. It seems like it would keep him warm while skating.

Last edited:

happylife

On the Ice
Congratulations! Patrick, it is golden again. Thank you very much for the master piece performance and it is a joy to watch it again and again.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yes! Alas, I think I shall have to catch up on my sleep tonight, as my toddler daughter woke me up at 4 a.m...

So, being bleary-eyed and bushy-tailed, I've been trying to find a large image of Patrick from last night so I could see exactly what his top looks like up close. Is is a thick shirt? A light sweater? And is it light gray with mottled dark gray all over?

From this image I can see sequins? all over it. I know there are some colored ones around the cuff and on his chest. Tis the most mysterious pattern I've ever seen a skater wear! I wonder who designed it? Did they get their inspiration from marble countertops or video games? Here's another picture. It seems like it would keep him warm while skating.

I concur the right key for Chopin is the low key as far as the costume is concerned. All neutral so the focus is on the performance itself.

However, it seems quite a few people are distracted by his beautiful physique revealed by the tight fitting costume. :)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Masterful performance from Patrick! Lucky to have him back and another present for figure skating world. Who cares about his costume, when he and only he can skate like this.
Can someone provide me the links to Patrick's last year JO FS. I would like to watch that great performance as well.

Honestly, I think Patrick's skating really suits this particular Chopin piece, cannot imagine anyone else to pull it off like Patrick. only Patrick can!

SGrand

Final Flight

I'm totally fine with the costume, it's understated with clean lines. I get the whole 'Lulu Lemon' vibe I guess lol, but it honestly doesn't bother me. My god, do we need him in a frilly blouse or shirt and coat just because he's skating to Chopin? Don't think so. And knowing him, he will more than likely change it up as he always does anyway haha! :p

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I concur the right key for Chopin is the low key as far as the costume is concerned. All neutral so the focus is on the performance itself.

However, it seems quite a few people are distracted by his beautiful physique revealed by the tight fitting costume. :)

guilty ;)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Lol, perhaps I should clarify that my question about Patrick's costume is purely out of curiosity and interest, and not because I am bothered by it.

If Patrick had on a silver wig or a Halloween costume last night, I still would have been curious regardless of how he skated. The writer and fan in me is fascinated by every aspect of him and his life.

SGrand

Final Flight
Lol, perhaps I should clarify that my question about Patrick's costume is purely out of curiosity and interest, and not because I am bothered by it.

If Patrick had on a silver wig or a Halloween costume last night, I still would have been curious regardless of how he skated. The writer and fan in me is fascinated by every aspect of him and his life.

Oh no worries at all, he seems to be taking a lot of flack for it in the Skate Canada thread haha. I can think of hundreds of costumes that are WAY worse hahaha!

m0001

On the Ice
Masterful performance from Patrick! Lucky to have him back and another present for figure skating world. Who cares about his costume, when he and only he can skate like this.
Can someone provide me the links to Patrick's last year JO FS. I would like to watch that great performance as well.

Honestly, I think Patrick's skating really suits this particular Chopin piece, cannot imagine anyone else to pull it off like Patrick. only Patrick can!

Are you looking for this one:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODAxODM2Nzc2_type_99.html?f=440254952

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I'm spending too much time re-watching videos and getting to more articles. Here are some quotes that give more detail on the ordeal that Patrick went through.

I had wondered why he said his talk with Kathy had been "embarrassing". This article explains it more:

But between the six-minute warm-up at the Enmax Centre on Saturday night and the moment he had to perform, Chan had a tearful emotional meltdown. The weight of the moment, he said, was overwhelming.

"Kathy and I were talking, I'm like 'Why did I make this choice? Why do I make myself do this? Why do I fear competing so much, and why do I put myself in such an uncomfortable position?"

He laid down for a few minutes with his legs propped against the wall. And after a pep talk from Johnston, he went out and laid down a beautiful long program to Chopin.

It also details future plans:

Chan will compete in the Trophee Bompard Grand Prix in two weeks in Paris. The Grand Prix Final is in Barcelona in December, and the world championships are in March in Boston, where he'd like nothing better than to add a fourth world title, tying Canadian Kurt Browning.

Chan plans to compete until the 2018 Olympics in South Korea.

Here's this journalist's analysis: Shock and awe: The Remarkable Return of Patrick Chan

His opening quad toe-triple toe combo was spectacular, as was the triple Axel that followed, a jump that has been extremely inconsistent for him over the years. It wasn’t just that he landed them. It was the way they soared through the air and the speed and flow he had on the landings. They were so good that the quad combo went from a base value of 14.60 to 16.89 and the Axel rose from 8.50 to 10.64. Looking at his score sheet, it’s the same all the way down. Huge positive grades of execution meant that it didn’t really matter that he turned his second planned quad toe into a triple. He made up for it elsewhere, such as with his step sequence. Not only was it graded at the most difficult level four, he got +3 almost across the board from the judges, making it worth 6.00 instead of the 3.90 it started at.

So whereas Hanyu went from 90.50 on his planned technical content to the 98.35, Chan went from 76.92 to 95.17

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ I am glad to read that Kathy helped him reach the zone... with all the crap we hear about 'he needs a jump coach" etc... maybe what he really needs is someone who helps him focus. Considering the quality of his jumps yesterday, I'd say he is fine with Kathy ;)