Patrick Chan | Page 179 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Gosh, I'm so nervous about everyone doing well at GPF.

Not me. Patrick is in a good headspace and I'm with him there. I don't use my mind for inconsequential speculation but will accept whatever happens. Hay, I'm in the violet bliss. ;) Look how Patrick was laughing after the TEB SP and he got in the GPF quite comfortably. Don't worry, be happy.

I enjoyed Patrick's interview a lot. I think he's getting the hang of giving good interviews now. Well done!

I think it's more because

So I think a lot of it has to do with the maturity and the experience and being more comfortable in my own skin, in my own body and confident in how I move.

He really comes across as more mature, more comfortable being himself, and wiser. Patrick is a persistent learner, about himself and how to be better. Now he is relaxed and calm, knowing who he is and what he wants, so it's not about being reactive to others and events, or proving something. It's about his own agenda. Krall was an extremely micro-managing coach, which may be right for some people at certain times, and under her every single minute of Patrick's time had to be accounted for. Now he's still disciplined but no more overly fastidious with accompanying anxiety. He also picks the training plan and schedule that suit him. After all he knows himself physically and mentally better than anybody else, and it's great his current coach is so sensitive to all his nuances. :thumbsup: This makes a great partnership.

Patrick is starting new and fresh. He did the mind dump about his 3A during his time off the competition and now he's able to listen to his coach fresh and is proud of his former "nemesis". :2thumbs: I believe his new journey will be very enjoyable, for him as well as us. :yes:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Here's more about the Stars on Ice special:

Stars on Ice Christmas special on CBC TV Thursday

Quote from Patrick:
"I was in the tunnel (waiting to skate) in some of the cities in the U.S., where I had some family, and course I'm nervous, I want to do well for them. So I paid attention to that, like 'Maybe I should treat competition like this too,"' Chan said. "I paid attention to how I handled that moment. Because when the music started I would lose all the nervousness and just get excited to skate and express and move and jump, and to get to the main cool part of the song."

And yet another article about Patrick going into the GPF:

Chan embraces underdog role at Grand Prix Final

"I don't think it's fair to think of revamping my whole program just because someone else did," Chan said.

Interesting... Not sure that someone else did revamp their program. But I hope Patrick does some revamping of his SP so he performs it better.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
"I was in the tunnel (waiting to skate) in some of the cities in the U.S., where I had some family, and course I'm nervous, I want to do well for them. So I paid attention to that, like 'Maybe I should treat competition like this too,"' Chan said. "I paid attention to how I handled that moment. Because when the music started I would lose all the nervousness and just get excited to skate and express and move and jump, and to get to the main cool part of the song."

So, Patrick was using his show experience to better his competition during his time off. That means 1) his mind was still on the competition career and 2) he is always on his learning curve.

Actually, he was learning from every experience while away and was in close touch with his coach, sharing and discussing his experiences and new life lessons. Skating and competition are clearly very big parts of his life and he inevitably relates those lessons to his skating and competition even when he was off the circuit.

"I don't think it's fair to think of revamping my whole program just because someone else did," Chan said.

This is an odd sentence, about fairness and something someone one else did (revamping his whole program?) However, there have been many articles written based on the same teleconference and they are very consistent with one another. This statement has not been reported in any other write-up so I think it may not be an exact quote, or it is quoted somewhat out of context, or it was a poorly articulated but clearly understood idea that everybody else properly edited.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Interesting... Not sure that someone else did revamp their program. But I hope Patrick does some revamping of his SP so he performs it better.

It was not a revamp but a skillful and subtle addition of 4 seconds to the program, 2 seconds after the quad before the 3A and 2 seconds after it. It was too jammed for him before so the new version allows him some wriggle room and to be more relaxed. At TEB, entering his quad his mind wondered just a bit into the jumps after and he messed it up. Yet he was still able to do a successful though imperfect 3A right after, showing the value of the added 2 seconds as well as his new confidence in his 3A. :agree:

My concerns for his GPF would be about his maybe insufficient GP experiences. He has performed his LP only once but it was an excellent experience whereas for the SP he hasn't done a proper performance yet. But it is what it is and what will be will be. It is always quite a ride with Patrick with each new experience and insight gained.

As long as he stays relaxed, positive, and focused, the stars will align just right for him, regardless of the outcome of any one event.

m0001

On the Ice
Patrick's latest tweet:
"Mark your calendars! My #Icewine will be available at the @LCBO on Dec. 12! Currently available @Winemakersboots and in Japan @HeavenlyVines"

Good timing!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Patrick's latest tweet:
"Mark your calendars! My #Icewine will be available at the @LCBO on Dec. 12! Currently available @Winemakersboots and in Japan @HeavenlyVines"

Good timing!

Ice wine LCBO page: http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/patrick-chan-on-ice-riesling-icewine/438861#.VmMyrr_8Mc1

The 2013 is the inaugural vintage of the first of Chan's wines. The sweet fruit exhibits some candied lemon and apple pie skating in perfecting synchronicity with the peach and pear notes. At the launch in June of this year, Chan said about the wine: 'It's subtle, and I think that complements my skating perfectly.' (VINTAGES panel, June 2015)

Candied lemon, apple pie, peach, and pear - what a sweet one!

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
'It's subtle, and I think that complements my skating perfectly.'
Hmmmm, a subliminal message? Subtle.

So, who here has complemented Patrick's skating with the PC Ice Wine? Is it as sweet as it sounds?

Let's see, one bottle for the GPF, one for the Nationals, and another for Worlds. That's it for the rest of the season. Are they saving some 2013 vintage for later years?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
My concerns for his GPF would be about his maybe insufficient GP experiences. He has performed his LP only once but it was an excellent experience whereas for the SP he hasn't done a proper performance yet. But it is what it is and what will be will be. It is always quite a ride with Patrick with each new experience and insight gained.

As long as he stays relaxed, positive, and focused, the stars will align just right for him, regardless of the outcome of any one event.

Yep, since he views GPF as a "practice" session before Nationals and Worlds, I won't worry too much as long as he puts out there what he does in practice. Assuming he skates his best, I would be most interested to see how he is scored compared to Jin Boyang and the other jumpers.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
VB, Since he said he doesn't know that much about wine, I'll bet he was coached a bit on what to say about it. I noticed it is definitely more expensive than the other wines on Flat Rock's website (to be expected), and it's not offered on their U.S. web store, so I cant get it. :-(

Bonesfan

On the Ice

Hello - quiet fan of Patrick here. I like how he's using his show experiences to make his competitive skates even better.

Maybe Patrick is referring to Yuzuru's revamped SP? Jump content and layout was completely changed before NHK.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
VB, Since he said he doesn't know that much about wine, I'll bet he was coached a bit on what to say about it. I noticed it is definitely more expensive than the other wines on Flat Rock's website (to be expected), and it's not offered on their U.S. web store, so I cant get it. :-(

But I think Patrick actually likes wine. As a youth he didn't like hanging out drinking but he celebrated his 21st birthday with some drinking. Hear what he said in this 2010 interview with Kurt.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome welcome, Boensfan! :cheer: Be quiet, be loud, you're welcome.

BTW all fans of Patrick, just one loudmouth like me in this fest is not enough. Speak up or I'd get more and more obnoxious.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
VB the loudmouth is breaking record with 3 posts in a row (unless someone spoils it with a post before I do this post.)

Why? Because it's fun to quote invisiblespiral's Random Taro Generator re GPF 2015.

Chan: The World: Completeness and intricacy of design. A great work. Achievement, reward, and well-earned recognition. A time of success, prosperity, security and joy. May also indicate travel or a change in residence.

It's all good.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States

Hello - quiet fan of Patrick here. I like how he's using his show experiences to make his competitive skates even better.

Maybe Patrick is referring to Yuzuru's revamped SP? Jump content and layout was completely changed before NHK.
I agree that Patrick is referring to other skaters increasing their tech content with that comment, and not only Yuzuru. I think it's a general "I'm not going to drastically change my program only because the other guys are doing harder stuff. I will be the type of skater I want to be." He does need to increase his tech content, but it seems like he will do so at a pace and amount that he is comfortable with. If he calmly does what he does, then all he (and we) can do is let the chips fall where they may.

Welcome to our Patrick fest! :)

Tallorder

On the Ice
Sometimes journalists seem to ask questions partly to be provocative. Patrick is someone who has a history of speaking frankly, which is refreshing, but then the readership ends up remembering retorts over some of the core substance. Patrick seems very much in control of how he is approaching this season, so it would be a silly question in my opinion to wonder whether he would sway or swerve as a function of what others are doing .

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Sometimes journalists seem to ask questions partly to be provocative. Patrick is someone who has a history of speaking frankly, which is refreshing, but then the readership ends up remembering retorts over some of the core substance. Patrick seems very much in control of how he is approaching this season, so it would be a silly question in my opinion to wonder whether he would sway or swerve as a function of what others are doing .

So well said. :agree:

Bonesfan

On the Ice
Thank you for the warm welcome - I like a number of skaters including Denis, Yuzuru, Shoma, Josh in addition to Patrick. Agree about journalists at times asking provocative questions and I was glad Patrick was prepared for this interview. GPF should be a great competition!

m0001

On the Ice
Welcome welcome, Boensfan! :cheer: Be quiet, be loud, you're welcome.

BTW all fans of Patrick, just one loudmouth like me in this fest is not enough. Speak up or I'd get more and more obnoxious.

VB, please write as much as possible! Enjoy reading all your posts! (I wish I had your kind of writing and analytical skills!)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Welcome (back), Boensfan and Tallorder!

This was just posted yesterday:

Patrick Chan All Male Seminar

Skate Canada BC/YK Section is proud to present the

Patrick Chan All Male Seminar
Wednesday December 16, 2015
Burnaby 8 Rinks-1:00-5:00pm

Seminar Registration is open to Male Skaters STAR 4-Senior. Registration fee is $45 and is limited to the first 40 registrants. Deadline to register is Sunday December 13, 2015.

Four hours with Patrick! 40 lucky skaters will get a steal of a deal at $45!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So Patrick will be busy right after the GPF.

Kevin Reynolds will be a special quest and I rushed the news to his fan thread to beat ckh to it. :biggrin:

May Patrick do his best for this stage of his journey at the GPF. Another medal for his collection.

eta: Patrick is always surrounded by adoring girls at his clinics so I guess the suits decided to give the boys a chance for a change! :laugh:

Last edited: