Patrick Chan | Page 190 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't believe it's a good time for Patrick to make radical reactionary changes. His most important issue is his mind. Coming back to competition after a year's leave, he did not return to a familiar place but a very different landscape. So he has some difficulty finding his space, both in the field and in his mind. He is starting all over but this time not as a brash young prodigy. We see he can jump and perform wonderfully, even when afflicted with extreme emotions and doubts. That shows us how strong he is mentally and technically even if he slipped back a little in both areas as a new starting point.

Patrick should remember there is no need to panic in reaction to anybody else's output. He has a planned journey which may need modification but not a change of course with no direction. He has only performed his SP three times and his LP twice so far, earning a gold medal and coming in 4th at the GPF, the two full competitions he has participated at. Considering that GPF is usually his worst competition except during his incredible two year winning streak, that this is still an early stage in his comeback, that he didn't even have two full competitions by then with TEB being a very disruptive and negative situation and experience, and considering his disastrous SP, his eventual result at the GPF is very laudable and should be encouraging.

So his SP is his nemesis this season so far and adjustments are needed, maybe choreographically but definitely mentally. He needs to get the first jump perfect so as not to affect the subsequent jumps negatively and even losing credits for well executed jumps. He is able to perform entertaining extroverted programs such as Take 5, Don't Worry, Be Happy, and Moon Dance. Lori knew to weave a story and a character in a program for Patrick to relate to to portray, much in line with his personality. (Character costumes that fit help as well.) In fact, happy and entertaining programs are good for a positive mindset. Too much Mess Is Mine and music of dark feelings can seep into his psyche. If he gets the SP up to par, he can quite easily medal if he keeps up his LP standard, especially if the second quad is executed instead of a 3T.

Technically, the natural progression is of course getting his 4S competition ready, which will raise his BV and diminish Zayaking probabilities. I believe this is achievable by next season if he makes it his goal. With confidence and raised BV, he will definitely be contending for the top.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i am wondering.... i never liked his 3S.... from what I see, his toe pick jumps are so much better than the edge jumps..... i want him to try 4F and 4Lz :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
i am wondering.... i never liked his 3S.... from what I see, his toe pick jumps are so much better than the edge jumps..... i want him to try 4F and 4Lz :)

There were suggestions and assumptions that his next quad would be 4F because he had a great 3F. Then, I think, he said 4S just happened for him. For whatever reason he didn't continue with adding another quad while in pursuit of high artistry. Now that he's evidently achieved his performance goal, acquiring a new quad and raising the BV of his programs may properly be the priority. But first he needs to calm down, shake off all those chips on his shoulder, and find intrinsic peace and motivation. As far as extrinsic choices to be made, he knows them better than us all.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
The other day when I was shopping, "Mack the Knife" kept playing over and over in my head and wouldn't leave. Then it hit me that due to the nature of the music in that song, maybe it's difficult for Patrick to mentally prepare for his first jump in that program.

Just my layman's observations: Although in both the SP and FS, he jumps his first quad around 20 seconds into the programs, the intro to Mack the Knife feels shorter when I listen to it. Its jazzy rhythm probably also makes Patrick want to focus on his dance sequences instead of his upcoming jump. When I watched both programs, in the SP he had around 5 seconds leading into his first quad. In the FS he had 7-8 seconds leading into his quad, and before that he wasn't doing much, so he was probably able to be more focused on the upcoming jump.

It would be quite a feat if he could do this SP the way it is now perfectly, because he would be battling distractions from the music itself and his external focus on the audience, in addition to all the other things he deals with during a performance. But I think his choreographer could switch things up a bit to help him mentally focus better on his jumps. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The other day when I was shopping, "Mack the Knife" kept playing over and over in my head and wouldn't leave. Then it hit me that due to the nature of the music in that song, maybe it's difficult for Patrick to mentally prepare for his first jump in that program.

Just my layman's observations: Although in both the SP and FS, he jumps his first quad around 20 seconds into the programs, the intro to Mack the Knife feels shorter when I listen to it. Its jazzy rhythm probably also makes Patrick want to focus on his dance sequences instead of his upcoming jump. When I watched both programs, in the SP he had around 5 seconds leading into his first quad. In the FS he had 7-8 seconds leading into his quad, and before that he wasn't doing much, so he was probably able to be more focused on the upcoming jump.

It would be quite a feat if he could do this SP the way it is now perfectly, because he would be battling distractions from the music itself and his external focus on the audience, in addition to all the other things he deals with during a performance. But I think his choreographer could switch things up a bit to help him mentally focus better on his jumps. Just my humble opinion.

Good observation.

I've always appreciated how Lori Nichols custom choreographs for each of her clients, tailored to their skills and bringing out their best. She would adjust the program when the skater has actually acquired a skill but not before. There are reasons why she has had the most winning programs and why the champions keep coming to her. For Patrick, she fully understood and integrated his rhythm and breathing pattern for his jumps in the program. I've felt bad that she and Patrick are no more working together, considering how nurturing she was and was an on ice mother for him. Patrick has always acknowledged that. Sigh.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
By the way, can I stay here? I find myself really fond of Patrick... and now that I saw him in person and skating and talked to him, even more
OF COURSE!!! Thanks for sharing your firsthand report of Patrick at the GPF. It was wonderful.

A bird's eye view of Patrick's GPF LP that was taken by an audience member:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKk1h3_cULQ

You hear the videographer cheering Patrick on, and the rest of the time he sounds like he is enjoying Patrick's performance the way one enjoys a glass of wine. :laugh:

I hope Patrick sees this video, because it really highlights the beauty in his skating.
That might be one of the BEST fancams of Patrick that I have EVER seen. Wow, you really do get a sense of his movements and how much ice he covers from this video. And the commentary is just adorable. Thanks so much for posting it here!

@Jombi, I clearly understand and agree with your detailed observation. I think it has to do with his edge work, dance training technically for him to move like that. Artistically, like sustain in vocal or playing the instruments, his moves go beyond the written score/rhythm and resonate with the feel and nuance of his own, enriching his interpretation of Chopin. Every movement calls for each other and seamlessly convey the heart and reason of his Chopin. Such a masterful touch!

@Violet Bliss, I agree. Johnson is not a typical figure skating coach, but she is indeed the coach Patrick needed to reach his goal at the time of his career, IMO. Unlike many, I love what she has done for him. All his postures are patiently studied, elongated, and controlled. It was possible with her help and guidance 24/7. It is very different from taking a dance lesson 1-2 times a week off ice.
Thank you for this eloquent description of Patrick’s interpretation and how Johnson has been a big influence on that.

I think this video was shot during the GPF Gala. We get to see Patrick tie his boots!

Love your Edea boots – Lacing Properly - Special guess Patrick Chan

Sounds like these boots are perfect for him!
Patrick gave such a clear and enthusiastic explanation! Loved it! I know the main purpose of the video was probably advertising, but I actually learned a lot. It sounds like Patrick has the perfect skates to show off his skating skills.

I don’t write so much here I know. I don’t have time to do that and most of all my English is everything but perfect! :( But I want to tell you that reading your posts is like feeling at home! Patrick is not so appreciated in my country and I can’t understand why… his skating in something unbelievable… really unbelievable. It’s a privilege for figure skating world to have someone like him. And it has been a privilege for me being there in Barcelona to see his performances and practice sessions. I’ve never suffered so much during a competition, really. :cry: I almost couldn’t sleep at night. Watching his practice was so painful… I’ve never seen Patrick so sad, so frustrated.. It looked like he wanted to give up. :sad4: I don’t know where I found the power, the strength to skate that superb free program. But he is a champion. I think is hard for him to deal this situation: this is his coming back season and the level in male figure skating is so high. He needs to take time, no hurry. His plan is a long term one. But when you are a champion and you won so much in your career is hard to not be on the podium, to not be there to fight with the top skaters. Very hard. I had the opportunity to talk to him at the hotel after the free program. I told him what I think about his skating, how amazing he is on ice and that I’m so grateful for his coming back and that we need someone like him. He was relaxed in the end of the day, after a so difficult week. I really hope he can find self confidence again and I most of all I wish him to be happy, whatever happens.
Thank you for sharing your firsthand report from the GPF. I can feel the emotion in your words and you are a wonderful fan of Patrick. I’m so glad you were able to tell Patrick what all of us would tell him if we could.

I LOVED what Sonia had to say!!! Thanks so much for bringing it here.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Don't know if I mentioned this before - I found Patrick quite by accident. In the 1990s I was an ardent figure skating fan but life got busy and I stopped following the sport. Earlier this year I was writing a story when one night, my characters revealed themselves to be figure skaters. I was surprised, but afterwards when I listened to Rachmaninoff's Elegie I thought it would make a great piece of music to skate to. I was sure that someone had already skated to it, so I did a search on YouTube and voila, there was Patrick's wonderful program. I was hooked from then on.

And I am so very grateful to have found Patrick and his skating, even if I'm coming to it much later than those of you who have known him since the earliest days. Thank you for all of the stories, insights and thoughts you shared about him. I look forward to enjoying many more to come. :)
Vivley, thanks for sharing how you discovered Patrick’s skating. His Elegie is indeed a masterpiece. I first saw him skate on TV at 2007 SA, when he was 16. He won bronze there and then gold at TEB. He didn’t do very well at the GPF that year and I forgot about him. Then, sometime between Nationals and Worlds that season, I came across his 2008 Nationals LP on YouTube. Have you seen it yet? I can’t remember how or why I ended up there, but let’s just say I was hooked from that moment on. I thought, “This kid can SKATE!!!” There was something about the way he skated that grabbed me and hasn’t let me go since.

Oh, and check out the YouTube channel "Chantastic" if you want to binge-watch early Patrick videos. It has videos of Patrick from 2002-2012. I'm not sure why they stopped uploading videos.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Lucky Patrick for he has someone there with him to support him. At time of competition, an understanding, motivating, and supportive coach is essential. It's why skaters want/need the coaches with them at competitions. But it seems some coaches may be great trainers but are not so supportive at competition rink side.

His mental state at the GPF has been disclosed honestly at interviews, confirming what was quite observable. Taking time off, he lost the momentum, technically and mentally, at a time of great stride in quad jumps being made in figure skating history. There may also be personal life events affecting him that we are not aware of. But as you said and we know, he is a great champion. He will pick up all the pieces he needs again and so far he has been slaying his demons along the way. As I mentioned in an earlier post, times of difficulties are when mental blocks and emotional issues surface and are opportunities to deal with and clear them out. It seems Patrick has taken the challenges and opportunities to have success to show.

I wish him continued success in returning to the winning mindset and technical level and in competitions. Above all, I too wish him happiness in whatever he does.
Patrick is very lucky to have Kathy right there for him. His learning curve has been steeper than he expected this season but he is getting there. Doing two LPs in a row that were the same technically is a huge achievement for him. What's funny is that I used to not be worried about the SP but the LP would always worry me; this season it's the other way around.

I don't believe it's a good time for Patrick to make radical reactionary changes. His most important issue is his mind. Coming back to competition after a year's leave, he did not return to a familiar place but a very different landscape. So he has some difficulty finding his space, both in the field and in his mind. He is starting all over but this time not as a brash young prodigy. We see he can jump and perform wonderfully, even when afflicted with extreme emotions and doubts. That shows us how strong he is mentally and technically even if he slipped back a little in both areas as a new starting point.
Patrick should remember there is no need to panic in reaction to anybody else's output. He has a planned journey which may need modification but not a change of course with no direction. He has only performed his SP three times and his LP twice so far, earning a gold medal and coming in 4th at the GPF, the two full competitions he has participated at. Considering that GPF is usually his worst competition except during his incredible two year winning streak, that this is still an early stage in his comeback, that he didn't even have two full competitions by then with TEB being a very disruptive and negative situation and experience, and considering his disastrous SP, his eventual result at the GPF is very laudable and should be encouraging.

So his SP is his nemesis this season so far and adjustments are needed, maybe choreographically but definitely mentally. He needs to get the first jump perfect so as not to affect the subsequent jumps negatively and even losing credits for well executed jumps. He is able to perform entertaining extroverted programs such as Take 5, Don't Worry, Be Happy, and Moon Dance. Lori knew to weave a story and a character in a program for Patrick to relate to to portray, much in line with his personality. (Character costumes that fit help as well.) In fact, happy and entertaining programs are good for a positive mindset. Too much Mess Is Mine and music of dark feelings can seep into his psyche. If he gets the SP up to par, he can quite easily medal if he keeps up his LP standard, especially if the second quad is executed instead of a 3T.

Technically, the natural progression is of course getting his 4S competition ready, which will raise his BV and diminish Zayaking probabilities. I believe this is achievable by next season if he makes it his goal. With confidence and raised BV, he will definitely be contending for the top.
:luv17: this post!

I agree with your observation. Maybe it's just the pace of the music, but it's almost like Patrick hasn't gathered himself as well yet for the SP jumps. I know they added four seconds of music, but I wonder if further tweaking will happen before Nationals. The program has potential; he just needs to put everything together in one performance. And I might be the only one who thinks Buble's version fits well with how Patrick is choosing to interpret the song. :laugh: Whether Patrick's interpretation is in line with the intent of the lyrics is another matter entirely.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
All, I thank you for your kind comments and for agreeing with my observations. Rest assured, Skatingfan4ever, that I have watched a lot of Patrick's past performances, and I believe he will make his SP work. I just can't wait to him at nationals!

I came across this Japanese Patrick fan who posted a lot of links, and I wanted to share some highlights with you.

Another fantastic fancam shot from the other side of the rink, so you get to see what Patrick's FS looks like from the other side (it looks like the sides are reversed on the video)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDjyUQRywS8&feature=youtu.be

Extended video of Patrick going to the kiss and cry and putting on his jacket, etc.:

https://vimeo.com/148864185

Actual video and Japanese television commentary on his hug with Kathy before the FS: (After clicking the link, wait for the video to load below the tweet.)

https://twitter.com/natunatu934/status/677015489135144960

Video of him bumping into Jin Boyang during the SP:

https://vine.co/v/iZJPPT6gUMp

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Undolaure

Rinkside
I have to say this, sorry... But Kathy gives me the creeps when she smiles so much !!! :shocked:

I hope at least the Nationals will help Patrick to find his confidence in himself... His problem is more psychological than anything !!

Oh! by the way, what about supporting him on twitter and other social media ??

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Oh! by the way, what about supporting him on twitter and other social media ??

I did send him a tweet of encouragement after his GPX FS. On Twitter I noticed he got a lot more tweets after his SC win, and relatively few tweets after the GPF SP. I guess that's normally how the world works, but it would be nice if we could send him encouraging notes via Twitter, Facebook, etc. regularly.

Actually, he needs to update his website. It hasn't been updated much since his hiatus last year.

Also, does he get fan mail? Where could we send him a Christmas card? To the Landmark Sport Group?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks viv for more videos.... patrick next to jin... like a man next to a little kid.... the difference in body shapes is huge
All, I thank you for your kind comments and for agreeing with my observations. Rest assured, Skatingfan4ever, that I have watched a lot of Patrick's past performances, and I believe he will make his SP work. I just can't wait to him at nationals!

I came across this Japanese Patrick fan who posted a lot of links, and I wanted to share some highlights with you.

Another fantastic fancam shot from the other side of the rink, so you get to see what Patrick's FS looks like from the other side (it looks like the sides are reversed on the video)!

Extended video of Patrick going to the kiss and cry and putting on his jacket, etc.:

https://vimeo.com/148864185

Actual video and Japanese television commentary on his hug with Kathy before the FS: (After clicking the link, wait for the video to load below the tweet.)

https://twitter.com/natunatu934/status/677015489135144960

Video of him bumping into Jin Boyang during the SP:

https://vine.co/v/iZJPPT6gUMp

Enjoy!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Me too, me too. I think Patrick will be very productive between now and the Nationals.

This is great! Wonderful fancam's over view without commentary and from a perspective we haven't seen before. :agree:

Undolaure

Rinkside
I did send him a tweet of encouragement after his GPX FS. On Twitter I noticed he got a lot more tweets after his SC win, and relatively few tweets after the GPF SP. I guess that's normally how the world works, but it would be nice if we could send him encouraging notes via Twitter, Facebook, etc. regularly.

Actually, he needs to update his website. It hasn't been updated much since his hiatus last year.

Also, does he get fan mail? Where could we send him a Christmas card? To the Landmark Sport Group?

I sent him a picture with a very short support letter (I needed more than 140-characters) on Twitter and Instagram, but I guess he'll never see it or read it, so... I was thinking also about short videos of 15 seconds as in Instagram...
The fan mail and Christmas card would be a great idea !! :points:

qwertyskates

Medalist

I do see your point about not making radical changes mid-competition, but I disagree that "Feeling Good" is a piece about dark feelings.

In fact, this is a piece that reminds me so much of the current Patrick. He isn't that young, brash, happy feet Patrick, but soulful and pensive, and at times, he skated with an expansiveness that felt completely free, a soaring joy, skybound, at ease with oneself, it is a rare feeling of joy and philosophical liberation expressed by this exquisite work of Nina Simone.

I never heard another song that soars with heart and soul quite like this.

I believe some other skater would pick this piece soon. I'd hope that Patrick, his whole body skating with intricate abandon, would be the only skater to do this song justice.

With his comeback, I get a sense that Patrick has matured further, but Mack is Back is too literal, not BIG and EXPANSIVE like "Feeling Good" and Patrick is mentally at another level.

I mention Maria B's SP not because of the funereal music, but because she skated with complete abandon and freedom, a woman at ease with her gorgeous self, and it came across and touched everyone.

Listen for yourself Nina Simone's "Feeling Good":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHs98TEYecM

Anyway, it's just a wish...sure Patrick has his own trajectory mapped out, but why not as a gala piece? I'd die if someone else with lesser talent skates to this first.:sad21:

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
thanks viv for more videos.... patrick next to jin... like a man next to a little kid.... the difference in body shapes is huge

LOL, 4everchan. And yet Patrick seems to lament that Yuzu, Javier and the rest of them are tinier than him. Somebody needs to tell him to stop comparing!

This is great! Wonderful fancam's over view without commentary and from a perspective we haven't seen before. :agree:

Glad you enjoyed it! I love watching Patrick's performances from different camera angles and perspectives. It would be nice if we could get a view from the ice up, and also from the ceiling down! :)

The fan mail and Christmas card would be a great idea !! :points:

Awesome that you sent something electronically, Undolaure! I have no idea how to send Patrick snail mail. Maybe the only way to send him something physical is to be at the rink and throw.. I mean, give it to him (or Kathy)? :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
In fact, this is a piece that reminds me so much of the current Patrick. He isn't that young, brash, happy feet Patrick, but soulful and pensive, and at times, he skated with an expansiveness that felt completely free, a soaring joy, skybound, at ease with oneself, it is a rare feeling of joy and philosophical liberation expressed by this exquisite work of Nina Simone.

:agree:

I never heard another song that soars with heart and soul quite like this.

Listen for yourself Nina Simone's "Feeling Good":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHs98TEYecM

:love: I love this song but have never thought of it for skating, but now

I believe some other skater would pick this piece soon. I'd hope that Patrick, his whole body skating with intricate abandon, would be the only skater to do this song justice.

Wonderful to imagine and hope for.

Anyway, it's just a wish...sure Patrick has his own trajectory mapped out, but why not as a gala piece? I'd die if someone else with lesser talent skates to this first.:sad21:

Ah, fear of exquisiteness and cherished desire debased.

Most skaters know better than to attempt Chopin but may think they are up to "Feeling Good". A few Ice Dancers however may do it justice.

BTW, I'm not against sad or depreciative songs but don't like the possible effect on the unconscious mind when a negative feeling is portrayed very frequently in shows all year. B Orser has a mind programming software developed specifically for skaters and his students' outstanding results may be testaments to its effectiveness. There are other mind programming or hypnotic recordings incorporating brain wave technologies available and Patrick could consider their use to boost his confidence and winning mindset. I hope he dumps any mind garbage and takes advantage of having actual exhilarating experiences he can reference, relive, and imprint in his mind.