Patrick Chan | Page 196 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
During his short program to Michael Bublé’s “Mack the Knife”, Patrick Chan is drawing arabesques on the ice – and I’m completely sold. And since I’m watching Patrick from the last row of chairs in CCIB arena, I am now convinced: the best place to see his performances might very well be from the sky. And I imagine God is happy watching Patrick skate: gliding effortlessly on the white surface of ice, as if he were skating in the clouds. It took me years to understand, but now I know: when it comes to the intricacy of his gliding, the Canadian is second to none.
From insideskating.net

http://www.insideskating.net/2015/1...nes-emotions-my-week-at-2015-grand-prix-final

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I had the same epiphany regarding Patrick's gliding this past spring. When I first saw Patrick's Dear Prudence/Blackbird program on Youtube I didn't like it. Then I saw it live at Stars On Ice. Patrick's glide, which I never really appreciated before, just hit me. It is just absolutely incredible!

blueberryhill

On the Ice
However, I have one question for you all as yet unanswered...how to snowball those TES?

Since every point adds up, one thing that has been hurting Patrick is that the other skaters has been using the 10% bonus after the halfway mark and he hasn't. I think in the 2012-13 season Patrick in the SP had been trying a triple-triple combo in the second half. He scrapped that in favor of a quad combo at the beginning even though the other option netted him more points. He felt that the quad combo made more of a statement. His comment just before worlds 2013 was "There is no plan B!". It was the right decision then but maybe it's time to re-think it.

Re-watching and analyzing the GPF men's competition I noticed one skater had a 2nd quad in the second half of the program. However, he had 32 seconds of stopping/simple stroking to rest and prepare for it. 32 seconds out of a four and a half minutes is almost 12% of a program. Patrick, as we all know, uses every second of his program to showcase incredible skating skills. And yet this particular skater scored high PCS scores.

I don't want Patrick sacrificing 32 seconds of his program for a big jump but it seems like other skaters are using that tactic successfully. (Interesting enough, Kurt Browning commented on the long break/set-up by saying "He did take a break from his program, you can tell, but it was worth it.")

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
meryl was indeed so nice...

i can't top that :)

happy bday patrick. <3

be yourself, be happy, be loving and loved

calica

Final Flight
i guess that he can´t read it, but

Happy B-Day patrick !!:luv17:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Whether or not Patrick reads us, he reads Meryl Davis'

Happy birthday @Pchiddy! The only thing better than your skating is your heart of gold! We love you.

Best thing said about Patrick from any well known person in the skating world. She gets who he is. Meryl :rock:

Happy birthday, Patrick! :hb: May your heart of gold be filled with joy and appreciated along with your skating.

blueberryhill

On the Ice
Happy Birthday Patrick!!! He's now a quarter of a century!
And to think, the first time I saw him on tv was at Skate America 2007, he was 16!

So Happy 25th and thanks for all the thrills you've given me with your skating,
Here's to many more birthdays and many more beautiful skating performances!

m0001

On the Ice
Whether or not Patrick reads us, he reads Meryl Davis'

Best thing said about Patrick from any well known person in the skating world. She gets who he is. Meryl :rock:

Happy birthday, Patrick! :hb: May your heart of gold be filled with joy and appreciated along with your skating.

Such beautiful words from Meryl!

lollysan

Spectator
Since every point adds up, one thing that has been hurting Patrick is that the other skaters has been using the 10% bonus after the halfway mark and he hasn't. I think in the 2012-13 season Patrick in the SP had been trying a triple-triple combo in the second half. He scrapped that in favor of a quad combo at the beginning even though the other option netted him more points. He felt that the quad combo made more of a statement. His comment just before worlds 2013 was "There is no plan B!". It was the right decision then but maybe it's time to re-think it.

Re-watching and analyzing the GPF men's competition I noticed one skater had a 2nd quad in the second half of the program. However, he had 32 seconds of stopping/simple stroking to rest and prepare for it. 32 seconds out of a four and a half minutes is almost 12% of a program. Patrick, as we all know, uses every second of his program to showcase incredible skating skills. And yet this particular skater scored high PCS scores.

I don't want Patrick sacrificing 32 seconds of his program for a big jump but it seems like other skaters are using that tactic successfully. (Interesting enough, Kurt Browning commented on the long break/set-up by saying "He did take a break from his program, you can tell, but it was worth it.")

I'm assuming the skater that you're talking about is Shoma Uno?

From what I noticed along with his interpretation and arm/hand/head movements, you can see that the pause in between allowed him to keep up/accelerate his speed in the second half, and along with matching the rise/fall of his music, plus the strong finish at the end, I can see the reasons for the high PCS scores? I thought Patrick had a fantastic free skate however *I* felt his second half ran out of steam quite a bit. I do see re-thinking his layout plus upgrading his tech will give him a better structure and even flow of his speed and his performance. Plus, I don't know what you're talking about with Patrick, but he DID have resting breaks in his FS...?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Since every point adds up, one thing that has been hurting Patrick is that the other skaters has been using the 10% bonus after the halfway mark and he hasn't.

I was thinking he could turn that 3S in the second half of his program in a 4S. Would that help?