Patrick Chan | Page 221 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Some thoughts about Patrick’s recent comments (you know which ones):

As for the article, I am so proud that Patrick said the word "art"!

Patrick, keep making your art!
:agree: I think this is also how he was taught from day one with Mr. Colson. Patrick wanted to show off his “cool doubles,” but instead Mr. Colson rebuilt Patrick’s skating from the ground up and wouldn’t allow him to jump at all until his basic skating was improved. In this article from 2011, Patrick said that “skating is what brings you to your jump.” To Patrick, skating has never been a jumping contest but instead a sport where jumps are part of the mood he creates. IMO, Patrick doesn’t really have particular elements that stand out because everything works together to create the effect of each program. With Jin and Nathan, it’s ONLY about the jumps right now. People are so quick to jump on Patrick just because they don’t agree with his opinion. :disapp: That’s why I’ve stayed out of those threads for the most part. In these “debate threads,” nobody ever wins. Whether it’s “Skater X vs. Skater Y,” “Program X vs. Program Y,” or “Quad vs. No quad,” people like what they like and little anyone else says will change that. That’s why I LOVE the Fan Fests. Here we have discussions, but not debates – there’s a huge difference.

I also want to add that Patrick is not the first skater to voice an opinion about the direction of the sport (remember Joubert at 2009 Worlds?), nor will he be the last. I don’t remember if fans were up in arms over Joubert or Stojko when they made their comments, or if this outcry is amplified because it’s “big bad arrogant Patrick” striking again. Of course skaters are going to be in favor of getting the most points for what they are best at and/or the aspects that they appreciate most about figure skating. For Joubert/Stojko it was quads, for Patrick it is skating skills and intricate choreography. My point is, I think the press made a mountain out of a mole hill here and Patrick doesn’t have ill will toward any skater, no matter their strengths. I think this so-called “rant” is Patrick’s way of saying, “I will skate the way I want to skate regardless of what other skaters may or may not be doing.” Now, there may be ways for him to come across as more diplomatic about it, but I see nothing wrong with him expressing his opinion on this matter.

Thank you, VB, for sharing the wonderful quote by Alexis Carrel several pages back: “A few observations and much reasoning lead to error; many observations and a little reasoning to truth.”

Pardon my ignorance, but didn't someone somewhere mention that Hanyu revamped his programs and increased the number of quads before the GPF in part because he wanted to fend off Boyang Jin? So Jin (whose last name means "gold", by the way) seems to be a catalyst for the recent developments that are dismaying Patrick, and in a way he is Patrick's ultimate competitor.

Patrick probably doesn't yet realize the irony in all of this, but IMHO he is now being haunted by his China comments from five years ago; for Boyang Jin is who Patrick would have been expected to become had his parents never immigrated to Canada. When the Chinese get involved in a sport like figure skating, they are generally much more interested in winning by focusing on the moves that gain huge points, rather than on the actual skating skills that Patrick is so well-known for. Since Patrick wants to study international studies, I hope he realizes this and keeps an eye on developments in the Chinese men's figure skating program.
Oh my goodness, I had not made that connection, but you’re right! That’s really mind-blowing to think about. With that in mind I’m SO GLAD he grew up in Canada and not in China. And he has had just the right combination of coaches and choreographers in Canada to become the sublime skater he is today.

Misha Ge is the latest disclosed victim of quad training, in pain and withdrawn from 4CC. Patrick is well aware of the risks of quad training, especially for someone not having a slim body with very narrow hips. He has sounded the warning, getting accused of wishing injuries for his rivals, and is taking a careful approach himself. I'm glad he is staying with the cautious long term plan mapped out with his coach without succumbing to the pressure to rush more quads into his programs. Stay smart and careful, Patrick.

When I read someone's rage against Patrick, I feel sorry for what they are doing to themselves, but nobody can change or be responsible for another's foolhardiness in causing themselves harm. By the same token, I feel it's best for Patrick to just mind his own body, training, and competition. Truth and wisdom are not welcomed or appreciated but are to be trashed and bashed.

Stay healthy and happy, Patrick.

Agree, and I wouldn't be surprised if his opinion was formed with significant input from his coach Kathy, who is a body movement expert. She probably knows exactly how his body needs to move in order not to be injured.

I believe that Patrick will take good care of himself and stay healthy. However, I don't think he's completely happy yet. He needs to stop being so hard on himself and enjoy making art on the ice.
I agree with these posts, especially the bolded parts!

Lastly, I’d like to share Jeff Buttle’s Ex from 2016 Nationals, which was at the top of the “Up Next” column when I was watching Patrick’s. Not only is it an ABSOLUTELY STUNNING program, but it is also very relevant in this particular discussion. There are no jumps at all and yet I was COMPLETELY MESMERIZED!!! I couldn’t look away. :love::love::love: That spread eagle is to die for and the whole program gave me chills! A program doesn’t need jumps to be amazing (Katia Gordeeva’s tribute to Sergei is another example) but it takes a very skilled SKATER to pull it off. I hope Patrick does a program without jumps as a pro someday. He could definitely pull it off. :yes: David did this for Jeff, so he can do one for Patrick too! Lose yourself in this sublime program and be reminded why you love figure skating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ab88Pz8gS4

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you, skatingfan4ever, for coming back and sharing your thoughts with us. I really loved how you explained some of the meaning behind Patrick's LP. Some of my favorite gestures that Patrick makes in his LP are when he looks like he is giving away his heart, and also when he puts his hands together as if he were uttering a prayer. I'm in a rush this morning so pardon my short reply.

Lastly, I’d like to share Jeff Buttle’s Ex from 2016 Nationals, which was at the top of the “Up Next” column when I was watching Patrick’s. Not only is it an ABSOLUTELY STUNNING program, but it is also very relevant in this particular discussion. There are no jumps at all and yet I was COMPLETELY MESMERIZED!!! I couldn’t look away. :love::love::love: That spread eagle is to die for and the whole program gave me chills! A program doesn’t need jumps to be amazing (Katia Gordeeva’s tribute to Sergei is another example) but it takes a very skilled SKATER to pull it off. I hope Patrick does a program without jumps as a pro someday. He could definitely pull it off. :yes: David did this for Jeff, so he can do one for Patrick too! Lose yourself in this sublime program and be reminded why you love figure skating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ab88Pz8gS4

Absolutely beautiful. Jeff looks like he is dancing on the ice, and his posture and positions are perfect. Yes, I can see Patrick doing this someday, after he's been inducted into the hall of fame. :)

Now on Twitter yesterday a fan posted this page of costumes that Patrick modeled when he was younger:

http://www.iceandnice.com/maleskaters1.html

Red looks really good on Patrick. :love:

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
i am bumping this thread... patrick should never be in the second page ;) MUAH
:laugh2:

It's OK. No news is good news. Patrick is focusing on preparing for the upcoming competition, staying on the track he has fought to get back on. He doesn't need negative energy from people intent on spinning his words. Soon enough there will be more words from the pre 4CC press conference.

Feb 1 was a day of world peace synchronized meditation for Syria with leaders form Islamic, Christian, and Jewish faiths. There are many documented evidences of the positive effects of group meditation from lowering city crime rates to ceasing fires in war torn regions. Positive energy is much more powerful than the negative, and focused collective energy is highly leveraged to overcome negative forces at large.

Why am I talking about this? Because it struck me that perhaps our positivity did help bring about a calm Patrick achieving his goal at the Canadian Nationals. We were focused on encouraging and supporting him, without judgments, expectations, worries, panic, or negativity toward anybody. Hey, we were feeling good ourselves.

I say let's claim credit for helping Patrick get on track after all those struggles since his comeback. Let's keep it up with good thoughts. Ignore negativities against him instead of energizing them. Let's repeat the Believe campaign for Worlds 2016.

I believe.
:2thumbs:

Did you watch the TSL's 2016 Canadian Tire National Championships Recap? They really appreciated Patrick's skating:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzlYBx6wjgs
I did, upon your recommendation. I think it's adorable how much they love Tracy Wilson's commentary and Canadian broadcasts in general. I like that Dave said, "I like when Patrick skates well" and that "when you see Patrick Chan skate well, it's like honey" and then Jenny added something I couldn't understand but she was really excited. I also love how Jenny was so excited when she explained that "he skates in both directions, and he does it so seamlessly" that we don't notice when he is doing things the scary way. (I don't skate, so I can't fully comprehend that, but he makes things look super easy even to my untrained eye). Thanks, Jenny, for so happily pointing that out to all the people who watch TSL! :clap: And apparently they do a "#MKMoment of the Week" at the end of competition recaps, and for Canadian Nationals they both picked Patrick's SP!!! :agree: Funny side note: MK Blades is one of TSL's sponsors and I was curious what the MK stood for, so I looked it up. It's Mitchel & King. Sadly, the MK doesn't stand for Michelle Kwan (my first thought when I saw #MKMoment), but for me Patrick's SP was a "Michelle Kwan moment." So incredibly special! :biggrin:

Thank you, skatingfan4ever, for coming back and sharing your thoughts with us. I really loved how you explained some of the meaning behind Patrick's LP. Some of my favorite gestures that Patrick makes in his LP are when he looks like he is giving away his heart, and also when he puts his hands together as if he were uttering a prayer. I'm in a rush this morning so pardon my short reply.

Absolutely beautiful. Jeff looks like he is dancing on the ice, and his posture and positions are perfect. Yes, I can see Patrick doing this someday, after he's been inducted into the hall of fame. :)

Now on Twitter yesterday a fan posted this page of costumes that Patrick modeled when he was younger:

http://www.iceandnice.com/maleskaters1.html

Red looks really good on Patrick. :love:
You're so welcome! I enjoy doing it! I like the gestures that you mentioned as well. That LP has so many special moments. Can't wait for the no jumps Ex after Patrick's Hall of Fame induction (really any program he does until he stops skating). And thanks for posting the link to those costume pictures. Red and blue look GREAT on him! :love: Hopefully next season he'll have more COLOR in his costumes.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Oh my goodness, I had not made that connection, but you’re right! That’s really mind-blowing to think about. With that in mind I’m SO GLAD he grew up in Canada and not in China. And he has had just the right combination of coaches and choreographers in Canada to become the sublime skater he is today.

This article appeared in the Chinese media today about the 4CC. The first part of the headline when translated literally says this:

"Four Continents Championship Yan Han Jin Boyang Battle Chen Weiqun"

Yes, they used the word "battle", as in, "to fight" (even though it can also mean "compete"). But who is Chen Weiqun? Chen Weiqun is Patrick's Chinese name in Mandarin, with the "q" pronounced like "ch" so it's "chün" with the "u" umlaut. I mention this because the average Chinese reader probably has a different understanding of who he is than we do here. We see "Patrick Chan", but they see Chen Weiqun.

It is interesting that they did not mention any other competitors in the headline, not even the Japanese skaters, nope. It's just Patrick, and I think I know why. Later in the article they mention that he is the "Canadian World Champion", so to them he is the man to beat.

It is more important than ever that Patrick keep an eye on his competitors from the Chinese team. They are watching him.

:laugh2:
Hopefully next season he'll have more COLOR in his costumes.

Haha, yes! Even Jeffrey Buttle's costume was so gray that I wondered if he and Patrick had the same taste in clothes. :scratch: Patrick's LP costume has improved in that it's more decorated now. I could see the stripes and sparkles much better in the videos from Nationals. But more color, please! :agree:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So far 3 monkeys have identified themselves. :biggrin:

Actually, I adore the Monkey King. I searched online and am dismayed at the bastardizations of the mighty one's image. He is supposed to be wearing the tiger skin skirt, not all those theatrical attires in movies and in Japanese style cartoons. However, I found this fabulous one, drawn with his name 孫悟空.

Happy Year Of The Monkey to all!

Franklin99

Medalist
So far 3 monkeys have identified themselves. :biggrin:

Actually, I adore the Monkey King. I searched online and am dismayed at the bastardizations of the mighty one's image. He is supposed to be wearing the tiger skin skirt, not all those theatrical attires in movies and in Japanese style cartoons. However, I found this fabulous one, drawn with his name 孫悟空.

Happy Year Of The Monkey to all!

Another Monkey here, something I share with my mom and grandma (R.I.P).

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Lol, now I'm reminded of that kid's song about monkeys jumping on a bed. But when converted to a skating song, it's a bit darker:

"Five little monkeys jumping on the ice,
One fell down and bumped his head,
Mama called the doctor and the doctor said,
"No more monkeys jumping on the ice!"

And here's the obligatory video of monkeys skating on ice. Look at those back flips! Monkeys can ice dance, too!

Last edited:

happylife

On the Ice
I'm very impressed by what the monkeys are doing on the ice. Thanks for sharing.
Lol, now I'm reminded of that kid's song about monkeys jumping on a bed. But when converted to a skating song, it's a bit darker:

"Five little monkeys jumping on the ice,
One fell down and bumped his head,
Mama called the doctor and the doctor said,
"No more monkeys jumping on the ice!"

And here's the obligatory video of monkeys skating on ice. Look at those back flips! Monkeys can ice dance, too!

calica

Final Flight
From twitter:

I don´t know if is old or current photo

Ca6VwLpWAAA2ZTg.jpg:large

Meoima

Match Penalty
Lunar new year here means eat, sleep, visit your relatives, and eat. I wonder if Patrick does the same.

m0001

On the Ice
Hi. I have a stupid question here: David Wilson has been Patrick's choreographer since the 2012-2013 season, but this was the first time he sat with Patrick at the Kiss and Cry? Does Wilson perform both as a choreographer and a coach now?

Last edited:

happylife

On the Ice
Patrick looks truly amazing in this picture, I agree colors will make him look good.

Who are the other two guys stand beside Patrick?(is David Wilson one of them????). Will somebody please clarify this question for me.
From twitter:

I don´t know if is old or current photo

Ca6VwLpWAAA2ZTg.jpg:large