Patrick Chan | Page 224 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
of course but after the quad triple, there aren't many good jumping passes succeeded... and even that first combo wasn't as good as usually EVEN for a practice session.... :) but I am a true believer and I know Patrick will do well ;)

Ha! He had done much worse at practice and then pulled a winner when it counted, many times. That's what a champion does.

Competition practices are for various purposes, e.g. getting the feel of the ice, last minute fine tuning of certain aspects of the program, letting the judges see the programs and your skills, etc. At competition, he should have just one super focus, pulling out all the mental strengths to achieve that.

It has been said there are many world champions at practice, but we all know how few are real World Champions. Fewer yet who are multiple WC.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Ha! He had done much worse at practice and then pulled a winner when it counted, many times. That's what a champion does.

This goes along with what Elvis Stojko said about Patrick at Nationals - that it's a sign of real maturity to be able to hit all of your jumps during competition after a seemingly sub-par warm-up. This is because he knows he's done those jumps before and he can do them again when it counts.

I'm happy to see that Patrick's confidence has been growing! :agree:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Will anybody here be watching Patrick's SP on the live stream tomorrow?

*Updated live SP live stream link: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/isu/live.html?id=7

The short program is scheduled to run tomorrow from 18:25 ~ 21:45 p.m. Taipei time. Since Patrick is skating last, he'll probably be scheduled for 21:30 p.m. Taipei time, which is 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time.

**Update: He's skating at 21:38 p.m. Taipei time, which is 8:38 a.m. Eastern Time. See schedule here.

It's even earlier for me, but I would be happy to watch Patrick first thing in the o'dark morning!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
damn it... i will be just leaving the house for work... NOOOO
Will anybody here be watching Patrick's SP on the live stream tomorrow?

*Updated live SP live stream link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUXsrA99NY

The short program is scheduled to run tomorrow from 18:25 ~ 21:45 p.m. Taipei time. Since Patrick is skating last, he'll probably be scheduled for 21:30 p.m. Taipei time, which is 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time.

**Update: He's skating at 21:38 p.m. Taipei time, which is 8:38 a.m. Eastern Time. See schedule here.

It's even earlier for me, but I would be happy to watch Patrick first thing in the o'dark morning!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Go Patrick! He performed a good program, despite his challenges with the ice. I am proud of him! In the kiss and cry he said he felt like he was skating on the edge the whole time. He felt like his balance was really narrow and he didn't have as much to balance on or control, and Kathy agreed that he couldn't quite carve his edges the way he liked. He said everything had to be very "shallow".

Hmm... this makes me wonder if the quality of ice that the Asian skaters have to deal with affects the development of the sport? If most skating rinks in Asia have that harder ice, then the skaters may focus more on jumps rather than on skating skills. Just a thought.

But I'm sure Patrick will be studying more about the physics of ice when he gets home, and what he can do overcome these challenges. I'm hoping the ice in Boston at Worlds will be better for him.

BTW, did anyone notice that the teddy bear he held up (first time this season he's held a bear), was dressed just like his old MTK costume? :laugh:

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I am not sad, as I know he had challenging ice conditions to overcome, and it seems that the harder ice mitigated his ability to do one of the things he does best - his deep edges.

Having said that, my prediction that Jin Boyang is his ultimate competitor seems to be coming true. Patrick really needs to watch what the Chinese team is doing.

StSq4

Rinkside
I’m not sad at all. I think it has been a not so bad performance compared to Skate Canada, Bompard and Grand prix final. I suppose he decided to compete at 4CC just to make experience and to skate as more as possible in his coming back season. Furthermore this short program is a sort of challenge for him, so fast, so full of intricate steps and details. It’s not his comfort zone. I really appreciate the hard work and big effort he’s doing to try something different. ;) I hope in a great free skate tomorrow.. and in a better ice condition!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, Patrick stood up and didn't break the rules again by doing a 3Lz+3T. He's learning. ;) I believe 86 is his highest score internationally this year (maybe - correct me if I'm wrong). I'm very sad about the ice conditions and I hope Patrick will make it through the LP reasonably well and at least medal. Can he win at this point? He's 12 points back and I expect Jin to drop in the LP, but far enough for Patrick to catch him? I don't know. The K&C was quite revealing this time. I appreciated getting to hear what Kathy and Patrick were discussing and found it fascinating. Best of luck in the LP, Patrick, regardless of the final placement! :console::cheer:

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Honestly I actually feel relieved because his practice was sooo bad (and warm up too). He actually did much better than in practice. I think free is his strength so he can come back for sure.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, but he should have done 3Lz+3T this time. The first toeloop was a quad, not a triple. :noshake:
Yes, I just double checked that. :eek:: The issue at GPF was that he tripled the 4T so that's why the combo didn't count. Maybe he got the rules confused or maybe he just didn't have enough speed after the 3Lz. Who knows. So he lost about 3 points that he could have had. :eek:hwell:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well, it wasn't as good as we hoped but it is his best SP of the year on international ice.... so kuddos pchiddy! If he has a good FP he will be just fine... More and more, we see that he is on the comeback trail and for a great champion like him, the road is longer which is normal... I don't care about placements at all... I just hope for him to skate well...

funny things though : Jin PCS :)
another funny thing : there is a new user in this forum with a name of 4everYuzu...... I wonder where that user got the idea ;)

I chose my username after Sochi... actually in 2015...Patrick had been retired for a while already....and it meant to me that even if he is not skating at the moment, he will always be my favourite :) I guess 4every uzu means something slightly different ;)

I cannot wait to see a user called 4everten :) ten is the new twenty :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Photos of Patrick at the press conference afterwards. There was a link but now it's gone.

https://twitter.com/ISUFourContinen/status/700712003405414401

His facial expressions at that second are very interesting. I wish I could have heard what he had to say.

I’m not sad at all. I think it has been a not so bad performance compared to Skate Canada, Bompard and Grand prix final. I suppose he decided to compete at 4CC just to make experience and to skate as more as possible in his coming back season. Furthermore this short program is a sort of challenge for him, so fast, so full of intricate steps and details. It’s not his comfort zone. I really appreciate the hard work and big effort he’s doing to try something different. ;) I hope in a great free skate tomorrow.. and in a better ice condition!

Well said, StSq4! This is also a good learning experience for him to see what his international competitors are doing, and what he needs to focus on to win.

I don't care about placements at all... I just hope for him to skate well...

Exactly - as this article states, performing to his potential, focusing on the process of the performance and doing his best is most important. I believe he said this was his goal for 4CC and that's what he's doing.

another funny thing : there is a new user in this forum with a name of 4everYuzu...... I wonder where that user got the idea ;)

I chose my username after Sochi... actually in 2015...Patrick had been retired for a while already....and it meant to me that even if he is not skating at the moment, he will always be my favourite :) I guess 4every uzu means something slightly different ;)

I cannot wait to see a user called 4everten :) ten is the new twenty :)

Well, I don't know if I'll can be anyone's fan "forever", but more power to you! :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Here are some interesting articles about the ice at ice rinks:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink4.htm
https://www.exploratorium.edu/hockey/ice1.html

Hockey players prefer harder ice, while figure skater prefer softer ice because "it grips the skate edges better." In one article it says that the ice for figure skaters is 22 degrees F (-5.5 centigrade); in the other it says figure skaters prefer an ice temperature of 26 to 28 F. Also, ice conditions can vary greatly with a temperature change as small as one degree, and humidity is always a problem.

Canada generally has great ice (esp. in the winter), and its climate is a factor. Also, the type of water used at the rink is also key.

My guess is that the Taipei rink's ice temperature is 20-22 degrees F, and with the high humidity (it rained there most of this week), that's what is causing the ice to fluctuate so much.

Korea also has a humid climate, so it might be to Patrick's advantage to go back to Taipei and Korea and train at the ice rinks there for a time to get a feel for them in preparation for the Olympics.

Last edited: