Patrick Chan | Page 228 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this is so rude and sexist to call a woman in terms of a family relationship rather than her profession. I hate when people do that. good for you to set them straight :)
:laugh:

I just set someone straight who called Kathy his Mother In Law earlier in Men's LP thread. Remember how all the detractors said he chose his coach because of his girlfriend and it would be extremely awkward and difficult if he broke up with the GF or needed to find a new coach?

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Yay, I'm coming back into a lively and energetic thread! And it's the same with the media coverage. Last night I could hardly find any articles on Patrick's victory. The Daily Mail was actually the first to report it with a photo of him wearing his medal. But this morning the media coverage caught up at last and Patrick's finally getting the exposure he deserves.

Funny thing though, a few of the articles coming from China talked about Boyang Jin and Han Yan first, and only mentioned that Patrick won in the last sentence of the first paragraph. :scratch2:

Anyway, for those who want to hear commentary, here are some video links:

I'll update this post as I find more videos.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
My favorite quotes from Patrick regarding 4CC:

(Article)
The three-time World champion, 25, admitted he had been "very worried and stressed" when he finished fifth after Friday's short programme, which he attributed to "being jet-lagged and the ice not being perfect".

"But finally today it seemed that everything, my body, the ice, just felt just right and I could finally just relax and enjoy the programme," Chan told a press conference after his victory.

"I just let everything go and focus on myself and not focus on the other skaters. I think it paid off today," added Chan, who was competing in his first Four Continents after taking a one-year break.

(Article)
"I feel like all the work and stress has paid off," Chan said. "It all came out in this program as it's supposed to be. This year has been so successful for the first year back. We've definitely exceeded expectations."

My rough translation from this Apple Daily article, where he talks about the ice conditions:

This win is totally different and unique from the last two. Before the competition, I was worried about a lot of things and felt pressure. During the short program I felt like the ice surface layers were different temperatures and not constant. The upper layer was a bit soft, so my blade fell in easily, and it felt like a really big challenge, and I didn't skate as well. But today everything was just right, including the atmosphere, temperature, ice surface; I recovered quickly from fatigue after the short program, not rushed at all today, skating just like I usually do in practice, enjoying the competition. Afterwards I slapped the ice because I felt like doing it.

Hopefully someone will post video of the press conference so we can hear what he actually said!

He also mentioned Michael Jordan's career and what he learned from it in this article.

Last edited:

MiRé

Match Penalty
No ones comes close to Patrick's SS. That LP was just breathtaking and beaaaaauuutiful, just like him :luv17:

SGrand

Final Flight
Yay, I'm coming back into a lively and energetic thread! And it's the same with the media coverage. Last night I could hardly find any articles on Patrick's victory. The Daily Mail was actually the first to report it with a photo of him wearing his medal. But this morning the media coverage caught up at last and Patrick's finally getting the exposure he deserves.

Funny thing though, a few of the articles coming from China talked about Boyang Jin and Han Yan first, and only mentioned that Patrick won in the last sentence of the first paragraph. :scratch2:

Anyway, for those who want to hear commentary, here are some video links:

I'll update this post as I find more videos.

Thank you! I was waiting for video with commentary. Man, I could watch this a million times, and his reaction when finished was priceless! So happy for him, I hope this gives him a huge wave of confidence going into worlds. After the short, and then seeing how the others did right before him, I have to admit to being so worried (not about losing, but I've been loving his overall mindset lately and I didn't want him to regress to feeling as frustrated and defeated as he did at the beginning of the season).
To everyone who told him to go and get a jump coach, when will you learn???? Lol
He is a very mental skater, not a machine, and that affects his jumps, not his technique!
I'm so excited for worlds, whether he wins, podiums or not, I am unbelievably proud of him.
What a performance!!!!!!!! [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks vivley for bringing the interview articles. You all know how much I love to hear from the horse's mouth. :laugh:

I was in bed with a flu for a couple of days. Went out for a bit today and became exhausted. I'm working on a full recovery by tomorrow. I'm probably having the same thing that struck so many skaters at 4CC. So happy Patrick is healthy, patched up his relationship with the ice, reined in his mind and gave us such a memorable performance. Every thing I wished for him for this event has come true, including peace, confidence, and a friendly ice that let him flow! I'm so grateful to the divine wish granter. I feel spoiled!

Love how Patrick slapped the ice, like a champion equestrian slapping his beloved champion horse, celebrating and expressing gratitude for a great partnership! He was so cute when he slapped the ice at the Vancouver Olympics when he fell. That was a slap of frustration. Quite different.

You have come a long way, Patrick. Stay on the right track and follow your heart. Stay healthy and happy.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thank you! I was waiting for video with commentary. Man, I could watch this a million times, and his reaction when finished was priceless! So happy for him, I hope this gives him a huge wave of confidence going into worlds. After the short, and then seeing how the others did right before him, I have to admit to being so worried (not about losing, but I've been loving his overall mindset lately and I didn't want him to regress to feeling as frustrated and defeated as he did at the beginning of the season).
To everyone who told him to go and get a jump coach, when will you learn???? Lol
He is a very mental skater, not a machine, and that affects his jumps, not his technique!
I'm so excited for worlds, whether he wins, podiums or not, I am unbelievably proud of him.
What a performance!!!!!!!! [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

You're welcome! I found a few more commentaries - watch the Taiwanese Mandarin one for the full winners' interview. (Listed below).

Thanks vivley for bringing the interview articles. You all know how much I love to hear from the horse's mouth. :laugh:

I was in bed with a flu for a couple of days. Went out for a bit today and became exhausted. I'm working on a full recovery by tomorrow. I'm probably having the same thing that struck so many skaters at 4CC. So happy Patrick is healthy, patched up his relationship with the ice, reined in his mind and gave us such a memorable performance. Every thing I wished for him for this event has come true, including peace, confidence, and a friendly ice that let him flow! I'm so grateful to the divine wish granter. I feel spoiled!

Love how Patrick slapped the ice, like a champion equestrian slapping his beloved champion horse, celebrating and expressing gratitude for a great partnership! He was so cute when he slapped the ice at the Vancouver Olympics when he fell. That was a slap of frustration. Quite different.

You have come a long way, Patrick. Stay on the right track and follow your heart. Stay healthy and happy.

You're welcome, I hope you feel better soon. Watch the Taiwanese Mandarin video listed below and you'll hear Patrick say (in between his K&C and interview) that it was partially a slap of frustration. But yeah, the first thing I thought was that he was saying to the ice, "good ice, good ice!"

UPDATED COMMENTARY LINKS:

Last edited:

wxyz1234533

Rinkside
I has been a fan of Patrick Chan since 2008, since he won his first Canadian title, and I always wanted to see him live in competitions. Last weekend my dream finally came true!!! I was so happy to see him live and that free program was AMAZING!!! He was amazing!!! After the free program, the crowd just went crazy and so do me and my friends . I did my best to cheer for him. We showed him even figure skating is not a popular sport in Taiwan, he still has many Taiwanese fans :) He was really happy after the long program and during the gala.

I wish I have more stories to tell. I want to get his autograph and photos so I waited at the hotel lobby after short program and gala. But when he came back he didn't stop walking and went directly to the elevator. Really want him to come to Taiwan to perform again!!!

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
vivley. I can't hear the question nor the complete answer so I can't tell if it was about the slap. But at the time he slapped the ice, he was celebrating, he was exuberant with success, the performance was completed flawlessly the way he wanted and knew he could, so I can't believe there was frustrations then because he already overcame them. He also expressed how he was happy with all the conditions at the time of the free skate. It was an obvious celebratory slap, the kind one gives on the buddy's back with joy and pride. He acknowledged that everything came together for him to deliver that performance.

Frustrations don't deliver that kind of pristine performance, which requires calm and focus. And Patrick had all the required factors for such success. He said so and we would know even if he didn't tell us.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
vivley. I can't hear the question nor the complete answer so I can't tell if it was about the slap. But at the time he slapped the ice, he was celebrating, he was exuberant with success, the performance was completed flawlessly the way he wanted and knew he could, so I can't believe there was frustrations then because he already overcame them. He also expressed how he was happy with all the conditions at the time of the free skate. It was an obvious celebratory slap, the kind one gives on the buddy's back with joy and pride. He acknowledged that everything came together for him to deliver that performance.

Frustrations don't deliver that kind of pristine performance, which requires calm and focus. And Patrick had all the required factors for such success. He said so and we would know even if he didn't tell us.

VB, someone asked him that question starting at 9:32 of the video. He laughs and says, "I think it's like... a mix of frustration and..." and then the sound fades out.

Franklin99

Medalist
If anyone here has access to NBC-SP, they're showing the final group of men's LP now. PChiddy will be shown close to 1AM, since he skates last.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many congrats to Patrick! :hap93::hap93::hap93:

you guys make me :yes2: (=meaning his fans rock!) and :palmf: (a bit hesitant =meaning oh no i have to write something worthy of reading) ....why, look at all those thumbs-up at every posts here :laugh:

Last edited: