Patrick Chan | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's mew PSA on behalf of Other Half, promoting Chinese stem cell registrations in various Canadian cities on March 31:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhm_w9yZ5rs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QyOmQKKJBU&feature=related

Importantly, I think I have identified his GF:

Tess Johnson who designed Jeremy Abbott's Olympic costumes. I had a thread about them when Jeremy jokingly insinuated being engaged to Tess.

Her twitter. He is one of her followers among a number of skaters.

Tess is Patrick's dance coach Kathy Johnson's daughter so that's probably the connection. I thought he seemed to have a very good relationship with her (Kathy), honouring her by having her with him at the K&C at 4CC. Of course he often speaks respectfully about her and credits her with improving his jumps and artistry.

Now a new question: Is Tess his contemporary Dance partner? :)

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Let me introduce some interesting quotes by brilliant athletes/skaters, Patrick and Daisuke whom I love in different ways.

Sources: 'World Figure Skate No.52' magazine, published Mar 2nd, 2012

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/44033107...itecloud7.blog93.fc2.com/blog-entry-2110.html

Reminder: those words in English are NOT what they (especially Patrick) exactly said in the interviews, becasue I was the one who roughly translated into English from the magazine written in Japanese.

------------------------------------------------------

I hope you will enjoy them. These quotes show a good example of 'mutual respect' between an athlete and its rival, so that each fans can look up to.
As for Dai's interview, I will post in 'Daisuke Takahashi Fan Fest' thread later.

Some quotes from Patrick's interview:

Re: Japanese Nationals
[ Patrick was invited by JSF to 'Medalists on Ice' (Gala after the Nationals) as a guest skater, and he watched most of the competitions. ]

"I was overwhelmed. Honestly. Such depths and qualities both in Men and Ladies. The level of the overall competitions here was much higher than the Canadian Nats. I would say it was higher even compared to the US Nats.

A lot of younger skaters were eager to challenge themselves, going for rather difficult elements. Almost ALL Men did include 3A(s) in their programs. Top 5 had no other choice but go for quad(s) aiming for a possible podium finish."

Re: Patrick's experience skating at 'Medalists on Ice'
"I took the moment very special. It made me feel so good (laugh) to skate in front of such enthusiastic crowd to its full capacity.
I also enjoyed skating with Daisuke and Takahiko. It made me feel more comfortable/at home, becasue I have gotten to know them very well thru competitions all these years. During the offseason, I can't see Dai and Taka. You believe it or not, I actually miss them a lot!"

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for the translation, deedee1. I've always maintained that Patrick knows and is closer friend with his major international rivals than most Canadian skaters since he trains outside of Canada and actually sees the other top skaters in the world more often. He mentioned he had friends in Japan to worry about when he spoke about the Japan disaster last year and he donated half his fees at the event which were originally all slated for the scholarship in his late coach's honour.

Patrick and Kozuka have been friends a long time as they competed together as Juniors and were roommates at TEB when they talked till very late at night. :) Patrick also served as Koz' interpreter in Paris. During the press conference in Beijing 2010, Kozuka was very down on himself because of the collision with Daisuke. He flashed the only smile when Patrick walked in and got up to greet him warmly. Patrick was the first to console him after the press conference.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thanks so much for the translation, deedee1. I've always maintained that Patrick knows and is closer friend with his major international rivals than most Canadian skaters since he trains outside of Canada and actually sees the other top skaters in the world more often. He mentioned he had friends in Japan to worry about when he spoke about the Japan disaster last year and he donated half his fees at the event which were originally all slated for the scholarship in his late coach's honour.

Thank you for your kind words!

To tell the truth, I felt very wierd, a sort of foolish of myself to translate quotes from Partick...what I did here is, you know, I read a Japanese magazine and translated BACK into English about things Patrick originally said in English. @_@

So, I got nervous especially when doing Patrick's part. I do not speak or write this language at my work anymore. Not being used to thinking in English for a while now, I had hard time picking up the right words from English vocabularies in my poor memory...(sigh)

I hope what I translated back is not missing the main points from Patrick initially inteneded to say for this interview.

spikydurian

Medalist

Tess is Patrick's dance coach Kathy Johnson's daughter so that's probably the connection. I thought he seemed to have a very good relationship with her (Kathy), honouring her by having her with him at the K&C at 4CC. Of course he often speaks respectfully about her and credits her with improving his jumps and artistry.

OMG ... good job SF! You beat us to this 'assignment'. Just graduated from Parson's .. working in NY. Thanks for the news. YES, very lucky that Tess is his contemporary dance partner. I am sure this will make him work very hard in improving his dancing skills! :love: can do anything. Happy for Patrick.

spikydurian

Medalist
Thank you for your kind words!

To tell the truth, I felt very wierd, a sort of foolish of myself to translate quotes from Partick...what I did here is, you know, I read a Japanese magazine and translated BACK into English about things Patrick originally said in English. @_@

So, I got nervous especially when doing Patrick's part. I do not speak or write this language at my work anymore. Not being used to thinking in English for a while now, I had hard time picking up the right words from English vocabularies in my poor memory...(sigh)

I hope what I translated back is not missing the main points from Patrick initially inteneded to say for this interview.

Thanks DD1 for taking the time to translate the news for us. Much much appreciated. Please keep them coming.
Please don't apologise for your English. You are doing a :thumbsup: job. We can't even translate one word of Japanese to English so see..... you are so much better than us or at least me! :)

It is heartening to know that there are 'sporting souls' in sports. I like Dai too (he's such a nice person and gorgeous skater....who couldn't resist liking this gentleman) and am so happy that Patrick and Dai and others get along, competitors on ice and friends outside the rink.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Tess Johnson who designed Jeremy Abbott's Olympic costumes. I had a thread about them when Jeremy jokingly insinuated being engaged to Tess.

Her twitter. He is one of her followers among a number of skaters.

Tess is cute! Wish them the best!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how Paddy's training is gong? I'd like him to show more well showmanship to silence the critics and make sure he gets all his levels on the spins and footwork.

Deedee, thanks so much for the translation! I agree that it's great to see rival skaters who are able to be respectful and even friendly toward one another. When Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya were at their best, they were known for being pretty good friends off the ice. It certainly didn't dull their competitive instincts, any more than being friends off the tennis court diminished the aggressive fire between tennis champions Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, one of the finest rivalries in modern tennis.

In the heyday of Kwan and Slutskaya, the Champions on Ice tour gave skaters a chance to hang out together every year. I don't know what the equivalent is nowadays.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how Paddy's training is gong? I'd like him to show more well showmanship to silence the critics and make sure he gets all his levels on the spins and footwork.

There is no way to silence the critics who don't base their judgement on actual performances. I think he does enough of the generally recognized "showmanship" in his exhibition programs and his competitive programs are of the sophisticated and sublime genre. Patrick has spins of very high quality, centered and fast. I for one am not concerned about his spin levels as they constitute a very small portion of hiss total scores. He does not do the A(ss) or donut spin which is fine with me. :)

There hasn't been much written about his training but I really like this montage video.

Patrick Chan Preview

And then there is this video about a Muscle Activation Techniques session with Patrick:

MAT Session with Patrick Chan

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Very good article up on IN. Patrick sounds great and ready to defend his title.

emdee

Final Flight
Loved the report Skate figuring and for sure I will watch tomorrow at 7.
CBC has something in the afternnoon but I wont be able to see it.

What do you think about the Chairman of the ISU's technical committee's comments about Patrick?

Keeping my fingers crossed for team PATRICK!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What do you think about the Chairman of the ISU's technical committee's comments about Patrick?

Are you referring to this interview by Alexander Lakernik? I don't read Patrick being mentioned. He made many good points. I have felt the same about chasing levels with poor execution. Many blame COP but it is really the bad decisions of coaches and skaters, a misuse of the system which rewards high quality of execution of difficult elements, a winning factor for Patrick. Most skaters should make an intelligent choice between a higher level and a more beautiful execution.

emdee

Final Flight
Skatefiguring there was specific mention of Patrick in the one I read - found it on the 'other' board!

Agreed some valid points were made about chasing levels that skaters are not capable of.