Patrick Chan | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Congratulations to Patrick on his second world title!

Patrick is a real athlete, battling against enormous pressure throughout this competition.
I was so moved by his performance.
He definitely deserved to win.
I'm so sorry for him to hear that some of people including Japanese fans booed him Yesterday.
I wish he knew there are many other Japanese fans like me cheering for him even when he is not having a good day.

And to hear his comment about Mr. Colson, I've become teary, too.
I really thank him for having taught Patrick how to skate.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am so happy to have you join us, Aprilsnowy. I know Patrick has many Japanese fans who appreciate great skating whether or not they are Japanese. Moreover, Patrick is a friend of his Japanese rivals. He has said they are good friends but they are guys, run by testosterone, so they compete on ice for bragging rights. :)

Mr. Colson was more than a skating coach to Patrick. He recognized Patrick's talent and took him in as a little kid. He believed so much in Patrick that he mumbled often that one day there would be an Asian Canadian World champion. He also taught Patrick Western etiquette, telling him he would be meeting presidents and royalty. He died from complications from a car accident and young Patrick was a pallbearer. Last year, Patrick was to skate at a fundraising event with Don Jackson to set up a scholardhip in honour of Mr Colson. It was planned for early April after the World Championships. When the Japan disaster hit, Worlds was postponed but Patrick still came to skate at the very difficult time and he split his fee to donate to the Japanese relief funds as well. As Spikydurian wrote above, Patrick went to visit Mr. Colson's grave before flying to Moscow, just to spend some time talking to him like he liked to do when Mr. Colson was alive.

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Thank you for your warm welcome, Spikydurian, Mathman, Boeing787, SkateFiguring, Bluebonnet!
I've often come to this thread to check some news about Patrick and enjoyed reading all of your posts.
Though my writing skill in English is limited to express myself, I'd like to join you as often as possible.
This thread is like an oasis for me :)

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
I am so happy to have you join us, Aprilsnowy. I know Patrick has many Japanese fans who appreciate great skating whether or not they are Japanese. Moreover, Patrick is a friend of his Japanese rivals. He has said they are good friends but they are guys, run by testosterone, so they compete on ice for bragging rights. :)

Mr. Colson was more than a skating coach to Patrick. He recognized Patrick's talent and took him in as a little kid. He believed so much in Patrick that he mumbled often that one day there would be an Asian Canadian World champion. He also taught Patrick Western etiquette, telling him he would be meeting presidents and royalty. He died from complications from a car accident and young Patrick was a pallbearer. Last year, Patrick was to skate at a fundraising event with Don Jackson to set up a scholardhip in honour of Mr Colson. It was planned for early April after the World Championships. When the Japan disaster hit, Worlds was postponed but Patrick still came to skate at the very difficult time and he split his fee to donate to the Japanese relief funds as well. As Spikydurian wrote above, Patrick went to visit Mr. Colson's grave before flying to Moscow, just to spend some time talking to him like he liked to do when Mr. Colson was alive.

I've been so grateful for your information about Patrick for a long time.
So I know almost everything about Patrick because of you:biggrin:
I love not just his talent, but his sincerity and consideration toward others. Of course, I will never forget his kindness when the disaster hit Japan last year.
The more I know about him, the more I admire him both as an athlete and as a person. And I think he's been incredibly developing as both.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
LESSONS LEARNED FROM WIN WILL HELP CHAN IN SOCHI

Much the way I think too. The Journalist in the other video said Patrick didn't have or believe in a sport psychologist but I think he is always learning the mental aspect of the sport through his experiences and, besides his coaches, with his father, and mentor Boitano. In every after competition interview, he says he learns something and I know he's talking about mental lessons, what worked and what was new that has better prepared him for the next time. This far from pretty win is a successful title defense and valuable experiences in so many ways. I'm glad for him and for the timing of events on his progress.

Patrick is a fast and effective thoughtful learner, which accounts for his extremely rapid progress. (Another very quick learner is Hanyu but in a different way.)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
beautiful exhibition skate. without all the frenetic cop point getting movements, we see patrick showing how elegant he can be. he is really growning as an artist, too bad this type of skating is not as valued. one day i hope he will be the artist that blows us away like kurt, jeffrey and of course canada's most amazing, toller cranston.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is Patrick's 3rd show program of the season, all very different in style and mood. He really shows off his balletic artistry here, with beautiful movements, postures, and extensions, all the while merging art with his exquisite skating skills. Good job, Cathy Johnson.

Patrick said his major goal this season was to improve the artistic side of his skating. He always delivers.

fscric

On the Ice
I've been hoping Patrick would ditch the cutesy exhibition programmes, so I'm one happy person especially when what we got is such a sublime programme.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
To me, this is Patrick's best show program so far! He showed totally different side of him from all other show programs. He is maturing from a boy to a man. Love it!

spikydurian

Medalist
I was going to post this link on the Exhibition thread, but I see Emma has already done so. Here is the good quality version of Patrick's exhibition, a masterful piece choreographed by Jeff Buttle. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZKX--skJTI&feature=channel

OMG, I absolutely adore this Ex. Thanks fscric.
I am so proud of Patrick. Despite receiving boos from the unsporting audience, he gave his best in the Ex. I love the slow motion start then moving on in amazing speed around the rink. Beautiful sublime music.
I agree.. SF.. THANK YOU KATHY JOHNSON. Can you hear us? :thumbsup:
I like him to try different styles in his Ex. It's more interesting. But this is great.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I must admit, Patrick Chan impressed the heck out of me with this EX. Probably the most mature and fully artistically realised program he has ever done. It couldn't come at a better time to silent the critics. Is he the best singles skater in the world currently competing? I think he just might :p [Even if he has bad days.. and his marks should be reflective of that]

Patrick although not the most natural musically gifted or expressive skaters around, his hard work to improve in this area everytime he stepped on ice is obvious to me. This latest Ex solidified him as the classic leading man role, gorgeous lines, speed, flow, mesmerizing, superbly controlled. Gorgeous piece of work. Well done!!!! Now hopefully he can get some sponsors so he can continue the good work.

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
Wow, just watched his Ex again, and man, that is awesome, good for him! I hope I hope I hope he starts to play around with more stuff like this and change up his choreographers (like Buttle, who I think is, or at least should be, on the rise as a great one) once in a while, he really does have so much more potential and he's a hard worker. Of course the programs would have to be tweaked for COP lol, but whatever, I'd take that. Yeah, he is not the most naturally gifted when it comes to musicality and expression, but I think he knows that and that's why he's been working so hard on it for the last few years. He's only 21, he still has lots of time to grow, and lets be honest, he has to because skaters like Hanyu will (or might, time will tell, but I think he's the real deal) be nipping at his heels.
Regardless of the scoring, I'm glad it's over and he successfully defended his title, must be a huge weight off of his back and you could see how nervous he was. Here's to watching him grow and hopefully push the envelope even more next season! Congrats Patrick!

Kelly

On the Ice
His hands and arm movements improve so much and now he is like a dancer in this exhibition.