Patrick Chan | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I wonder what the slippery material is that they used to cover the stage and made the medalists "skate" on it. It looks like a plastic sheet applied with its edges taped on. It is not ice for the blade edges to melt and glide and stop on. I don't think it's too useful as a rink simulation. Even those champions find it hard to balance on.

Boeing787

On the Ice
I wonder what the slippery material is that they used to cover the stage and made the medalists "skate" on it. It looks like a plastic sheet applied with its edges taped on. It is not ice for the blade edges to melt and glide and stop on. I don't think it's too useful as a rink simulation. Even those champions find it hard to balance on.

I think it's wax rink. I saw it while I was traveling in Madrid. The weather there was too warm for a real ourdoor rink even around Christmas time so they came up with somethin like this.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Thanks for posting Joubert's EX number. That's a nice program too. But the contrast of skating skill is so stark! Patrick's skating skill is no doubt in different league.

Welcome WaltzNo1! Can't believe you can lurk for so long.:laugh:

emdee

Final Flight
I too was wondering whether it was an Elegy to Mr Colson - he is still such a central figure in Patrick's mind and life. It is great that he can feel that fondness and respect for someone now long gone even while retaining a sense of realism about Mr Colson eg when he talks about him mumbling!

Love the program - hope is it is part of an Olympic program.

Wonder also whether he will use his next years programs for two years going into the Olympics.

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks for your warm welcome, SkatingFiguring! I became a fan of Patrick since last year Canada nationals and I have been lurking since then. :)
Welcome waltzNo1 to this fun Patrick-ubering thread. :party2: If you find anything nice on Patrick, post it here. SF is pretty quick and we all are trying to beat SF to it. ;) SF ... have you scour the international networks/news (eg. chinese) like you did the last time on news on Patrick?
Is there a story behind the Elegie?
Well, the Canadians can see Patrick more often if he decides to spend more time in Toronto. I think if he wants to promote figure skating among the younger generation, it is time to embark on the strategy together with the skating associations and clubs. He has two WC golds and silvers, has had a high profile year in 2011-2012. Patrick, show the kids what 'cool tricks' you can do (like you showed Mr Colson). :biggrin: That will inspire the kids to take up skating and from there on, Canada can look out for the unpolished diamonds just like how Mr Colson found an unpolished diamond in you.
Patrick, I would love to see two new programs from you but if you think it's too much to handle, one new SP can do too. :)

emdee

Final Flight
Does anybody know if Patrick will be at the Margaret Garrison award show. He was there last year and I was lucky to be only a few feet from him with on ice tickets. I would happily go again if he is there.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Durian, I am very happy to just come here to read about Patrick without my input. Also happy that now more Patrick fans have surfaced. I am not nostalgic about the days when I joined to be one of the lonely few who dared to spoil the fun of daily Chan bashing. I like sitting back and just being entertained by Patrick and his fans.

Ha ha, here's another breaking news from SF:

Patrick Chan returns to Toronto after gold-medal performance

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Durian, I am very happy to just come here to read about Patrick without my input. Also happy that now more Patrick fans have surfaced. I am not nostalgic about the days when I joined to be one of the lonely few who dared to spoil the fun of daily Chan bashing. I like sitting back and just being entertained by Patrick and his fans.

Ha ha, here's another breaking news from SF:

Patrick Chan returns to Toronto after gold-medal performance

Thanks for posting that link SF. I hope our boy gets some badly needed R&R before going back to work to train for the World Teams comp. And you're so right that it's not such a lonely place here :)

waltzNo1

Spectator
Waltz, did you watch Patrick live last year?

No, I watched YouTube the second day of the competition. The LP in nationals 2011 was magnificent! It won me over! Since then, Patrick has so much lead in technique department, he doesn't even need to do so much to win! But he keeps working so hard to improve his artistic expression. Watching him growing in such amazing way is very inspiring. I just simply pity the haters because they missed real treasure here! I wish one day I can watch him skate alive, must be awesome! This new ex solidify my chan fan identity. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Last edited: