Patrick Chan | Page 374 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I hope Patrick doesn't use Sunday Morning as an SP, it's a very feel good program and nice to watch but this season already the second time he's tried to take an Exhibition that he likes and translate it into an SP. David Wilson himself said that the fun and enjoyment of performing a program as an exhibition didn't translate over to competition for him (Steppin Out -> Mack the Knife) and now he's doing it again has me going:confused:

I agree with 4everchan about doing something powerful, when I met him in the summer at LCBO and got his autograph I was going suggest for him to skate to Mars by Gustav Holst but I accidentally forgot. It's extremely big and masculine music and Patrick is one of those skaters who's never at risk of being drowned out by their own music. Everyone always skates to Jupiter and while it's a beautiful piece of music, people need to branch out. One problem is that this music makes for a good FS and not SP and I feel like Patrick is going to keep A Journey but tweak it with Eric.

emdee

Final Flight
I got a kick out of the title of this Chinese article on Patrick: :laugh:

加拿大华裔帅哥陈伟群 北京滑冰国际赛再度称王

It says, "Chinese Canadian Handsome Guy Patrick Chan Is King Again at International Figure Skating Competition in Beijing".

帅哥 means handsome guy in Chinese, so add that to his monikers besides 男神 (a god).

But take a look at the photo from the article! Boyang and Sergei appear to be pointing at Patrick as if he were "the man", while Patrick looks on like he is the subject of a Renaissance painting! :rofl: :rofl:

Hamming for the cameras!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Krunchii

For Mars, as it is the Bringer or war, I cannot live with this idea for a LP... too intense... too much pressure and narrative would come out of it... by you know journalists and fans.... (Chan at war ... etc) If Patrick's skating conquers our hearts, I would prefer this for a SP. At least, it wouldn't be the last image in people's mind and wouldn't define his last moments on the ice.

I bet you are correct as well about The Journey. I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick and Eric tweaked the music/choreo during the off-season to present a second version of the piece. The kind of emotion that Patrick is projecting with this program moves me very much... a bit like in the Elegy program. He does those introspecitve pieces really well... but yeah, again.... wouldn't it be nice to have him skate on a big glorious however not war-like piece of music for his last LP????

I think Sunday morning will hit the bin soon.... not my favourite Patrick program at all... even if Patrick sells it perfectly well ;) mind you, it helps that he is wearing very flattering jeans :) haha

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
I hope Patrick doesn't use Sunday Morning as an SP, it's a very feel good program and nice to watch but this season already the second time he's tried to take an Exhibition that he likes and translate it into an SP. David Wilson himself said that the fun and enjoyment of performing a program as an exhibition didn't translate over to competition for him (Steppin Out -> Mack the Knife) and now he's doing it again has me going:confused:

I agree with 4everchan about doing something powerful, when I met him in the summer at LCBO and got his autograph I was going suggest for him to skate to Mars by Gustav Holst but I accidentally forgot. It's extremely big and masculine music and Patrick is one of those skaters who's never at risk of being drowned out by their own music. Everyone always skates to Jupiter and while it's a beautiful piece of music, people need to branch out. One problem is that this music makes for a good FS and not SP and I feel like Patrick is going to keep A Journey but tweak it with Eric.

Were you at the Unionville LCBO? I was there too....

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Krunchii

For Mars, as it is the Bringer or war, I cannot live with this idea for a LP... too intense... too much pressure and narrative would come out of it... by you know journalists and fans.... (Chan at war ... etc) If Patrick's skating conquers our hearts, I would prefer this for a SP. At least, it wouldn't be the last image in people's mind and wouldn't define his last moments on the ice.

I bet you are correct as well about The Journey. I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick and Eric tweaked the music/choreo during the off-season to present a second version of the piece. The kind of emotion that Patrick is projecting with this program moves me very much... a bit like in the Elegy program. He does those introverted pieces really well... but yeah, again.... wouldn't it be nice to have him skate on a big glorious however not war-like piece of music for his last LP????

I think Sunday morning will hit the bin soon.... not my favourite Patrick program at all... even if Patrick sells it perfectly well ;) mind you, it helps that he is wearing very flattering jeans :) haha

He can mix it with other numbers from The Planets Suite (minus Jupiter), he can take the fast paced part of Mars and do his 4T-3T/3A there, and maybe Venus? A serene section just for his quiet blades would be good. I just want to see him skate to something bigger mainly. Maybe he can skate to Mars in the future as a show piece, I know Brian Orser once portrayed Mercury on ice.

And I wouldn't say introverted because he does project really well, more like introspective? He looks into himself and presents it to everyone to tell his story in A Journey.

Were you at the Unionville LCBO? I was there too....

Yepp, I checked it out with my sister because it's in my area and grabbed some wine with his autograph while it was still on sale. I posted it about it here when it happened and Patrick talked a bit about coming back and competing and told me who his choreographers were for this season.

vivley actually quoted me here in her blog post about my experience there, the photo is mine and the bottle is still in the same place haha. I look back and I wish I had gotten an extra bottle.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i meant introspective sigh... when will i learn to speak English properly????
He can mix it with other numbers from The Planets Suite (minus Jupiter), he can take the fast paced part of Mars and do his 4T-3T/3A there, and maybe Venus? A serene section just for his quiet blades would be good. I just want to see him skate to something bigger mainly. Maybe he can skate to Mars in the future as a show piece, I know Brian Orser once portrayed Mercury on ice.

And I wouldn't say introverted because he does project really well, more like introspective? He looks into himself and presents it to everyone to tell his story in A Journey.

Yepp, I checked it out with my sister because it's in my area and grabbed some wine with his autograph while it was still on sale. I posted it about it here when it happened and Patrick talked a bit about coming back and competing and told me who his choreographers were for this season.

vivley actually quoted me here in her blog post about my experience there, the photo is mine and the bottle is still in the same place haha. I look back and I wish I had gotten an extra bottle.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
1) Kathy??? I don't know if Patrick is that sentimental??? He appears very pragmatic to me... I still want a sort of flowing shirt for this... light colours... like gray... it would be such a special thing.. but perhaps it's not Patrick's style.

3) 500???? i am at 6000 posts now... without even noticing.. most of them in this thread.... count on me to make it 500 in no time... ;)

Oh yes, very pragmatic, and so he is saving a few grand by not getting a new costume...

Haha, I'm sure you'll help us get to 500 this week!

T'was my pleasure to quote your story - thanks again for sharing it with us! If I should ever get to the LCBO, I will get two bottles - one to taste and one to keep somewhere in the same place... forever, of course. :agree:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh yes, very pragmatic, and so he is saving a few grand by not getting a new costume...

Haha, I'm sure you'll help us get to 500 this week!

i think 500 is easy...

i have no idea why no journalist bothered to ask him about his outfit... why don't you tweet him viv? hehe

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
i think 500 is easy...

i have no idea why no journalist bothered to ask him about his outfit... why don't you tweet him viv? hehe

One thing at a time, lol. I just tweeted him about the whole Boss Q thing - captured a nice screenshot of him smiling:

https://twitter.com/PCSkatingFan/status/800941457557176320

I wonder who the flowers were for?

Also, I noticed that he sailed through the banquet entrance, then had to turn back to give them his ticket. He searched a couple of pockets, found it in his right jacket pocket (17:53), gave it to them and left the red? lining of his pocket out... :laugh:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
One thing at a time, lol. I just tweeted him about the whole Boss Q thing - captured a nice screenshot of him smiling:

https://twitter.com/PCSkatingFan/status/800941457557176320

I wonder who the flowers were for?

Also, I noticed that he sailed through the banquet entrance, then had to turn back to give them his ticket. He searched a couple of pockets, found it in his right jacket pocket (17:53), gave it to them and left the red? lining of his pocket out... :laugh:

team canada seemed late and somehow, patrick seemed stressed out about it... no idea why.... kaitlyn and andrew certainly were taking their time :)

flowers were for him... probably from hanee :) lol

emdee

Final Flight

I live ten minutes away.from the LCBO near Main Street and was first in line. I too chatted with him but not too much as there were people behind. I did take a couple of pics with him and had him autograph two bottles for me! What a coincidence!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I live ten minutes away.from the LCBO near Main Street and was first in line. I too chatted with him but not too much as there were people behind. I did take a couple of pics with him and had him autograph two bottles for me! What a coincidence!

Haha how lucky of you to be first, I came like halfway through the event and there was a lineup. Actually when I was leaving several people asked me who he was so I told and them and I think some of them went for a picture after I left.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
people don't know patrick chan? ugh :drama:

Haha how lucky of you to be first, I came like halfway through the event and there was a lineup. Actually when I was leaving several people asked me who he was so I told and them and I think some of them went for a picture after I left.

emdee

Final Flight

I came one hour early so was there when he was setting up etc.
I feel so bad that I didn't know you were in the area or I would have invited you to meet Spiky!

emdee

Final Flight
I think we should all try to go for Nats in 2018. All the VM fans did that and it was nice to meet everyone at Nats before the 2014 Olympic Games.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i decided to go this year because ottawa is so convenient... where is it in 2018? is it halifax?? did i hallucinate that announcement?
I think we should all try to go for Nats in 2018. All the VM fans did that and it was nice to meet everyone at Nats before the 2014 Olympic Games.

emdee

Final Flight
i decided to go this year because ottawa is so convenient... where is it in 2018? is it halifax?? did i hallucinate that announcement?

They usually announce it around Nats.

I think it may be Vancouver. Especially if the new rink is ready

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Beautiful comments from the Chinese fan, beautiful translation by VB!

I brought this here because it was beautifully written in Chinese and because it was a longer post. Unlike the GS, the Chinese posts are mostly one liners, many of which are about Patrick's skate being so beautiful and even tear inducing. :)