Patrick Chan | Page 43 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Ravensque

On the Ice
What a great thing that would be for Patrick to combine a singles ice dance program with jumps. It couldn't be done for a competitive program, but would make for an interest exhibition piece. Shae and Patrick....ha ha...a great collaboration :). Kurt is so right about Patrick skating BIG. He uses all the ice and goes so friggin fast....Watching him live and you get it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It has been said that Patrick's entire program is essentially a footwork sequence with integrated jumps and spins. So it is a matter of making the footwork sequence like solo Ice Dance et voila! Takahashi has been doing dancy choreo but Patrick has deeper edges, bigger faster and sweeping moves that can be used for an amazing unique effect. He usually does such intricate footwork without busy feet because he doesn't get his moves with ice pushing. Thus all foot-work could serve an artistic/dance purpose instead of the usual function of generating and sustaining motion.

I am getting myself excited. :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Shae Lynn Bourne is great. It's a good idea to have an ice dancer choreograph for Patrick. He has the ability to maximize the choreographer's original meaning of the choreograph. And then in the Olympic year, Patrick can still go back to Lori Nichol to get a winning program.:)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I like the Dance concept for the SP. Do a lyrical artistic LP in the vein of Elegie. (Well, I guess that would be dance like - expressive contemporary dance.) And then for the Olympics, have an POTO-like high energy LP finishing in a rousing dramatic climax, i.e an in-your-face knock-them-dead hitting-over-the head type choreography. :biggrin:

SGrand

Final Flight
I like the Dance concept for the SP. Do a lyrical artistic LP in the vein of Elegie. (Well, I guess that would be dance like - expressive contemporary dance.) And then for the Olympics, have an POTO-like high energy LP finishing in a rousing dramatic climax, i.e an in-your-face knock-them-dead hitting-over-the head type choreography. :biggrin:

Totally agree. He needs something very dramatic and powerful for his LP, something that gets the audience going and causes goosebumps (I love when that happens!). Elegie is so beautiful, I adore it, but this could be where a great movie soundtrack comes into play (even though I always seem to think of Elvis for this type of music because he seemed to use so many soundtracks.....to his advantage).
For his SP, something out-of-the-ordinary and a little bit quirky would be great, a 180 from 'Take Five' which, after 2 seasons, I've had enough of. Is this where Jeffrey or Shae-lynn come in maybe?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The music immediately came to my mind is Tchaikovsky 1812 overture.

That can be quite heavy. Maybe a soring epic movie score? :think:

All these talks of choreography here and elsewhere have got me thinking of some interesting possibilities.

E.g. It would be extremely interesting(!) to have Gary Beacom's input in the choreo sequence since there is no level with specific requirements but it is meant to be expressive program presentation with opportunities to put in non required elements and innovative moves. Imagine Beacom's creativity + Patrick's mad skills! These two know about edges more than anybody. :bow:

I have always thought it would be really fun for some skating genius such as Kurt to skate to Free Design's Kije's Ouija or something "classical" by PDQ Bach. :biggrin: Would love to see Kurt, or Gary, or Patrick with their input, to attempt these quirkiest music. :cool:

It's funny that these Canadians are the ones I can think of who have the personality and the skills to pull off these possible programs.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I would like to see him skate to "Take Five"! I love that Dave Brubeck piece!

"him"?

BTW, a post on another thread just prompted me to check the official Bio. Patrick has now listed Kathy Johnson as his coach and Christy Krall as a former coach, but Lori Nichol is still his choreographer. I'm very glad.

eta. I want to add that Patrick is on Today In History sites for his first Worlds Champion title and his Guinness records. Happy Anniversary, Patrick. The first is always celebration worthy. :party: May you have many more Worlds wins and records to accompany them.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Tess Johnson in Shenzhen with Patrick (not shown) They were seen holding hands walking out with his family and relatives after the show.

Waiting for more detailed reports and pictures of his performances.

It seems this is an "exchange" program with after skate mixer with Patrick and local (HK and Shenzhen) skaters.

Mannish Boy a fancam video with apology for the quality but I like the perspective of seeing his amazing speed and ice coverage often offered by fancam.

and thanks to fscric,

Patrick Chan Mostly Cantonese Interview In English potion you can hear him answering that he doesn't know his new coach or choreographer yet.

Pictures:

http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/71c4ff25gw1dsfsm0fv68j.jpg

http://www.dailyss.com/content/2012-04/29/content_6699634.htm updated with news video.

http://t.tobcd.com/ta/id-1349450775

He is always surrounded by young ladies. ;)

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Thanks SF! I am glad Patrick wore the blue shirt again skating Elegy. I think it's better than the dark red one he wore at WTT.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
What a great thing that would be for Patrick to combine a singles ice dance program with jumps. It couldn't be done for a competitive program, but would make for an interest exhibition piece. Shae and Patrick....ha ha...a great collaboration :). Kurt is so right about Patrick skating BIG. He uses all the ice and goes so friggin fast....Watching him live and you get it.

THIS! So true.. Watching him live and there is no question who is the superior skater. :bow:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thanks SF! I am glad Patrick wore the blue shirt again skating Elegy. I think it's better than the dark red one he wore at WTT.

Picky picky. :p Well, as long as he was mobbed and surrounded by girls as reported it didn't matter......... :biggrin:

I just got off the phone with a friend calling from Shenzhen who is on one of his business trips as the token white man. I restrained myself from telling him about Patrick skating there. Some people just wouldn't appreciate their opportunity. It was 30 degree with thunder storm last night. Sounds tropical. Hope Patrick gets to enjoy some vacation days with Tess but I guess he needs to be in Korea for ATS preparation. One day at a time, Patrick, one day at a time. I am sure there will be a suitable coach and a top notch choreography ready for him after the shows.

Speaking of choreography, there is a possibility I don't like to entertain - Kathy Johnson. Both Takahashi and Abbott have gone to dancers for choreography, collaborating to translate and transfer dance movements to on ice executions and performances. I hope Patrick won't be experimenting at this time of big changes and also not put all his eggs in the Johnson basket.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Picky picky. :p Well, as long as he was mobbed and surrounded by girls as reported it didn't matter......... :biggrin:

I just got off the phone with a friend calling from Shenzhen who is on one of his business trips as the token white man. I restrained myself from telling him about Patrick skating there. Some people just wouldn't appreciate their opportunity. It was 30 degree with thunder storm last night. Sounds tropical. Hope Patrick gets to enjoy some vacation days with Tess but I guess he needs to be in Korea for ATS preparation. One day at a time, Patrick, one day at a time. I am sure there will be a suitable coach and a top notch choreography ready for him after the shows.

Speaking of choreography, there is a possibility I don't like to entertain - Kathy Johnson. Both Takahashi and Abbott have gone to dancers for choreography, collaborating to translate and transfer dance movements to on ice executions and performances. I hope Patrick won't be experimenting at this time of big changes and also not put all his eggs in the Johnson basket.

Why? I'd tell him Patrick was performing there and let him decide watch it or not.
Don't worry about Patrick's taking time off. I am pretty sure he has been doing so recently based on his performance.
No, no Johnson choreography! Somehow I don't see it happening, though. Otherwise we'd have seen at least one ex number choreographed by her. I have a feeling DW will be the one. Just not sure if Patrick will get rid of Aranjuez next season.
BTW, I think Patrick has known who the new choreographer is, but he couldn't let the media know.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Oh, Love is blind. I'm very glad that Patrick and Tess relationship is going so well! Happy for them!

But I hope this time, Patrick's parents could use their rational sense to influence Patrick in making correct decisions for his career. Like Boeing, I too don't see Johnson choreography is happening. Buttle for SP and Wilson for LP should be good choice. Nevertheless, I don't really care Wilson's LP "Life Is Beautiful" for Abbott although there were some gems in there. I think it was too simple. It couldn't wrap up enough PCS.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Oh, Love is blind. I'm very glad that Patrick and Tess relationship is going so well! Happy for them!

But I hope this time, Patrick's parents could use their rational sense to influence Patrick in making correct decisions for his career. Like Boeing, I too don't see Johnson choreography is happening. Buttle for SP and Wilson for LP should be good choice. Nevertheless, I don't really care Wilson's LP "Life Is Beautiful" for Abbott although there were some gems in there. I think it was too simple. It couldn't wrap up enough PCS.

Great minds think alike, again! I too think Life is Beautiful was too simple. That's why I always think Lori is a better cheoreographer PCS wise.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Great minds think alike, again!

:laugh::thumbsup:

I think Lori is the master of figure skating choreography for CoP. No contest, not even Wilson. Patrick can do whatever he wants this coming season. But I do hope that he could go back to Lori Nichol in the Olympic season.:)

verte76

On the Ice
Lori Nichol is a great choreographer!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm happy for Tess and Patrick!

Last edited by a moderator:

figuristka

Medalist
I'm happy for Tess and Patrick!

I earlier just saw an old interview where he said he appreciates ice dancing and if he could skate with a partner it would be Alissa or Tessa Virtue so at first when i saw posts happy for Tess and Patrick i thought it was Tessa Virtue :laugh: as either they were skating a program together or going out.:p