Patrick Chan | Page 502 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Dear Mr. 4ever,

Thank you for the note. I guess I was having a moment. My son had just gotten back from vacation and he and his girlfriend made a major announcement. We were overjoyed and celebrated with dinner, wine, vodka...did I mention wine? In the morning I was not feeling well (like flu) and was less than prepared for my meeting with Patrick, so I stop by pharmacy and prayed I could get through the day.

While the medicine did not taste so nice, it had magical healing powers and opened up heavens. In that moment of relief, I had "a vision" and as they say, the rest is history.

Thank-you for your understanding

"Spasibo",
Marina Z.

Dear Ms. Zoueva, please do not blame alcohol for the bad decisions you have made in your life.
Here is an advice from me : you are cut off !

Sincerely,
4everhan, formerly known as 4everchan

P.S. Congratulations on your son's engagement.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I will always be in love with the landing of the 3S right on the note at 3:44. Exquisite.

Oh yes, and it was such a perfect performance, such a lovely surprise that had him winning 4CC by 1 point...

Oh my god, I stayed up until 3AM to livestream this performance, even though I had to work at 6:30AM. Best reason to be exhausted ever!

You mean, you never watched it before? But better late than never! :agree:

If if you want to know what it was like to be there at 4CC when he skated such perfection, read my interview with the fan who waved the banner at the end - the one that Patrick and Kathy waved to after his scores were announced!

Interview with a CHANpion Fan

No big whoop, but Jamie Wright is a singles skater.

Not an ice dancer -- unless I have missed recent news that Jamie has switched disciplines??

Oops, you're right - thanks for the correction!

This Chiddy establishment is a strange and intriguing place, and I think I need to come here more often. :laugh2:

:laugh: Well, welcome to Patrick's "strange and intriguing" fan emporium! Come and visit often!

Had to come in here and say just how much I love his sp choice this season. Can't wait to see it.

Welcome! And I agree with you - coming soon to an ice rink or live stream near you - a dusty wind storm caused by PChiddy!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
btw arriba, congratulations for writing the 10000th post in Patrick's thread.

:cheer:

How about that?! Makes me feel like I should run out and play the lottery or something! :gclap: Hurray for Patrick and his faithful fans!

Kuan

Final Flight
According to this tweet and its source interview, Patrick is going to skate to the following next season:

SP: Dust in the wind by Kansas
LP: Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley

Edit: Watching the interview now. Patrick! :love:

Hmm :scratch2: I do not know what to think about his music... I am not disappointed, but not happy either. I think Buckleys pure and emotional version will work very good live. (I hope he is going to worlds and let me enjoy it in Milano:luv17:) But I never heard about the other song and do not like it very much. Hope his skating will change my mind.

I know how you feel 4everchan. When Yuna announced her music choices for 2012/2013 I was so disappointed. I never heared of Kiss of the Vampire and it was just bad tasteless music for me. Les Mis wasn't my favourite as well. But at the end of the season, I loved both her programs (FS more than SP, but still both) The way she skated and performed to this music changed my mind. Let's see what Patrick can do for you ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes, and Marina and David should have asked for your advice, too, since Patrick let them choose the music. ;)

Honestly, i think that this is something missing. i have a lot of respect for choreographers and coaches. However, they are expert at figure skating.... not in the vast world of music.

Here is what could happen if professional musicians (and I would even add classical as it requires decades of training not only as a performer but as a scholar) were to be involved in musical choices for skaters

1) less warhorses... there is SO MUCH beautiful music out there
2) better music cuts... as we understand musical structure and emotional musical architecture
3) tailor-made choices based on the skating qualities of a skater... for instance... few skaters have the glide Patrick has, and that's what makes him able to skate to powerful music with sustained notes.... yet, often we see such music given to skaters who cannot skate to it... how many times have we read "this music is too big for her/him"... well that's something we could address among the many things that could project the skater in a musical world that fits his/her abilities.
4) renewed interest from fans who are tired of the same music.... as more contemporary choices could be included or pieces from other eras neglected or not could be included.
5) better judging about musical interpretation.
6) less pantomine/literal interpretation : yes a musical consultant would be able to feed choreographers and coaches with the information behind the piece and its emotional content which could help choreography based on the music itself rather than a story.

i will stop here... i feel it's too late to give Patrick help here ;) I actually didn't think he needed it as much as some others after the masterpieces he has given us... but it's okay...

I just feel déjà vu from Sochi's V/M's horrible music choice for their FD... made by the same person.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hmm :scratch2: I do not know what to think about his music... I am not disappointed, but not happy either. I think Buckleys pure and emotional version will work very good live. (I hope he is going to worlds and let me enjoy it in Milano:luv17:) But I never heard about the other song and do not like it very much. Hope his skating will change my mind.

I know how you feel 4everchan. When Yuna announced her music choices for 2012/2013 I was so disappointed. I never heared of Kiss of the Vampire and it was just bad tasteless music for me. Les Mis wasn't my favourite as well. But at the end of the season, I loved both her programs (FS more than SP, but still both) The way she skated and performed to this music changed my mind. Let's see what Patrick can do for you ;)

i know how much i will love patrick no matter what he skates on... i was just hoping to get something better than this... but yes... i invite you all to laugh at me when i come back in two months and call these choices genius ;)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Honestly, i think that this is something missing. i have a lot of respect for choreographers and coaches. However, they are expert at figure skating.... not in the vast world of music.

Here is what could happen if professional musicians (and I would even add classical as it requires decades of training not only as a performer but as a scholar) were to be involved in musical choices for skaters

2) better music cuts... as we understand musical structure and emotional musical architecture
3) tailor-made choices based on the skating qualities of a skater... for instance... few skaters have the glide Patrick has, and that's what makes him able to skate to powerful music with sustained notes.... yet, often we see such music given to skaters who cannot skate to it... how many times have we read "this music is too big for her/him"... well that's something we could address among the many things that could project the skater in a musical world that fits his/her abilities.
4) renewed interest from fans who are tired of the same music.... as more contemporary choices could be included or pieces from other eras neglected or not could be included.
6) less pantomine/literal interpretation : yes a musical consultant would be able to feed choreographers and coaches with the information behind the piece and its emotional content which could help choreography based on the music itself rather than a story.

i will stop here... i feel it's too late to give Patrick help here ;) I actually didn't think he needed it as much as some others after the masterpieces he has given us... but it's okay...

I just feel déjà vu from Sochi's V/M's horrible music choice for their FD... made by the same person.

I agree with all you are saying, but I just want to point out that there are some choreographers that are exceptions to the standard. ;)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You know... Figure skating programs are team collaborative efforts.

Consider the last 2-3 years Patrick has been somewhat experimental and even playful with his artistry, which has really showcased his growth as a performer. These programs were from his perspective expressed through to his skating programs, but this final year's programs are more about how his team sees him, a summation of these efforts, how they think can bring out the best of Patrick Chan, and how he would be best remembered by. Similar to how mentors giving their protege a final exam, that may be simple yet complex. This requires a team that knows him very well to do this. If he trust his team's decision, we should too.

I am hoping for another set of best ever Patrick Chan programs to remember him by. The type that will be haunting, poetic, heartbreaking, touch of bitter sweet cynicism(with COP skating), world weary yet hopeful, and most of all, beautiful graceful skating all at the same time. Perfect for his Olympic good bye performance whatever the result. The songs has these extra poignancy that can inspire greater commitment to the performance (well suited to his style too), so in theory, should add good PCS.

The fact these gems are from 70s/80s may be suited more of the judge's age and this isn't a bad thing. The judges will be moved by it more than say Taylor Swift or Kanye :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You know... Figure skating programs are team collaborative efforts.

Consider the last 2-3 years Patrick has been somewhat experimental and even playful with his artistry, which has really showcased his growth as a performer. These programs were from his perspective expressed through to his skating programs, but this final year's programs are more about how his team sees him, a summation of these efforts, how they think can bring out the best of Patrick Chan, and how he would be best remembered by. Similar to how mentors giving their protege a final exam, that may be simple yet complex. This requires a team that knows him very well to do this. If he trust his team's decision, we should too.

I am hoping for another set of best ever Patrick Chan program to remember him by. The type that will be haunting, poetic, heartbreaking, touch of bitter sweet cynicism(with COP skating), world weary yet hopeful, and most of all, beautiful graceful skating all at the same time. Perfect for his Olympic good bye performance whatever the result. The songs has these extra poignancy that can inspire greater commitment to the performance (well suited to his style too), so in theory, should add good PCS.

The fact these gems are from 70s/80s may be suited more of the judge's age and this isn't a bad thing. The judges will be moved by it more than say Taylor Swift or Kanye :laugh:

do you want my death?

if patrick had revealed he were skating on kanye i think i would have died instantly... let's not joke with this :roll9::scard7:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Dear Ms Zoueva
Last year, I thought you had much wise words regarding Patrick Chan. You described him as a masterpiece... as if you had a gorgeous tableau in your rink... Why did you put spray paint all over it?

Sincerely,
4everchan

Dear Mr. 4ever,

Thank you for the note. I guess I was having a moment. My son had just gotten back from vacation and he and his girlfriend made a major announcement. We were overjoyed and celebrated with dinner, wine, vodka...did I mention wine? In the morning I was not feeling well (like flu) and was less than prepared for my meeting with Patrick, so I stop by pharmacy and prayed I could get through the day.

While the medicine did not taste so nice, it had magical healing powers and opened up heavens. In that moment of relief, I had "a vision" and as they say, the rest is history.

Thank-you for your understanding

"Spasibo",
Marina Z.

Dear Ms. Zoueva, please do not blame alcohol for the bad decisions you have made in your life.
Here is an advice from me : you are cut off !

Sincerely,
4everhan, formerly known as 4everchan
e
P.S. Congratulations on your son's engagement.

Dear Mr. 4everhan,

I never blame alcohol, especially not Vodka!

You know how handsome my darling Fedor is and girls have been throwing themselves at him all these years. So when he finally decided to settle down with Meryl I let out a heartfelt "Hallelujah". Hallelujah! That's it! The first LP vocal music Patrick would skate to!

However, Hallelujah is a warhorse song all singers want to sing to show that they can. There are sooooo many versions out there it was kind of difficult to decide on which one fit for our own Rembrandt on ice. I would wait for the next divine inspiration. We would go for a celebration dinner first.

Anyway, with the over celebration the night before, I needed something to clear me up before meeting with Patrick and David, and I had not even decided on whose Hallelujah to choreograph with David, er, for Patrick to skate to. So I gulped down this medicine the American pharmacist gave me, and had to squint my eyes shut because of the strange taste. When I opened my eyes, a word appeared in front of me, clearer than anything I could see the for last 10 hours. Hallelujah again! There it was, the answer to my dilemma "Whose Hallelujah should I pick for Patrick?"

Buckley's!

I know I can always count on Vodka to open me up to inspirations.

За здоровье!

Marina Z.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Dear Mr. 4everhan,

You know how handsome my darling Fedor is and girls have been throwing themselves at him all these years. So when he finally decided to settle down with Meryl I let out a heartfelt "Hallelujah". Hallelujah! That's it! The first LP vocal music Patrick would skate to!

However, Hallelujah is a warhorse song all singers want to sing to show that they can. There are sooooo many versions out there it was kind of difficult to decide on which one fit for our own Rembrandt on ice. I would wait for the next divine inspiration. We would go for a celebration dinner first.

Anyway, with the over celebration the night before, I needed something to clear me up before meeting with Patrick and David, and I had not even decided on whose Hallelujah to choreograph with David, er, for Patrick to skate to. So I gulped down this medicine the American pharmacist gave me, and had to squint my eyes shut because of the strange taste. When I opened my eyes, a word appeared in front of me, clearer than anything I could see the for last 10 hours. Hallelujah again! There it was, the answer to my dilemma "Whose Hallelujah should I pick for Patrick?"

Buckley's!

За здоровье!

Marina Z.

nice try... who tells you it's Wilson's work? It could be Buttle's ? ;) but let me entertain you with a reply ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Dear Mr. 4everhan,

Buckley's!

За здоровье!

Marina Z.

Dear Ms. Zoueva,

We have heard loud protests about your music choices for our Olympic medalist Patrick Chan. After what happened in Sochi, when, in your care and leadership, our reigning Olympic Champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir were given a second class free dance which compromised their chance to repeat as Olympic Champions, and all of this, based on vodka inspired or drug label induced decisions as you self-proclaim, we inform you that you are FIRED ! Patrick Chan is indeed a masterpiece, a national treasure, and we no longer trust you can mentor him properly !

Sincerely,

Skate Canada

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
nice try... who tells you it's Wilson's work? It could be Buttle's ? ;) but let me entertain you with a reply ;)

Mr 4,

Maybe I should be the choreographer. After all, who has had all these divine inspirations to come to the decision for the pick of the music? You know I know I have Vodka to count on for more.

M Z

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Mr 4,

Maybe I should be the choreographer. After all, who has had all these divine inspirations to come to the decision for the pick of the music? You know I know I have Vodka to count on for more.

M Z

Ms Z

Your membership card has arrived.

Sincerely,

AA

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Dear Ms. Zoueva,

Might you please consider changing PChiddy's cough syrup music for his program to "Big Spender", but specifically, Homer Simpson's version, with emphasis on this one particular lyric in the chorus:

"Hey Big Spender! Dig this blender! Rainbow SUSPENDERS! We surrender!"

Oh, there's one more thing that I must inform you about that's unrelated to Chiddy: please pass along the message to your top-billed ice dance team of Maia and Alex Shibutani to watch their backs, because my beautiful husband, Dreamboat Andrew, along with his lovely partner, Kaitlyn, are coming for that Olympic podium. May the best team snatch that bronze. ;)

Yours in caviar, darling,

Mrs. Poje

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Dear Ms. Zoueva,

Might you please consider changing PChiddy's cough syrup music for his program to "Big Spender", but specifically, Homer Simpson's version, with emphasis on this one particular lyric in the chorus:

"Hey Big Spender! Dig this blender! Rainbow SUSPENDERS! We surrender!"

Oh, there's one more thing that I must inform you about that's unrelated to Chiddy: please pass along the message to your top-billed ice dance team of Maia and Alex Shibutani to watch their backs, because my beautiful husband, Dreamboat Andrew, along with his lovely partner, Kaitlyn, are coming for that Olympic podium. May the best team snatch that bronze. ;)

Yours in caviar, darling,

Mrs. Poje
:points:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
~~Commercial break from "As PChiddy Turns"....~~ ;)

Interesting! I have the opposite opinion, where I like his SP music but not his LP music so much. I hope his skating will change my mind, too!

Yeah, dare I say that I hope Patrick has a backup, in case one or both of these don't work out? I do not want a repeat of what happened with MTK!