Patrick Chan | Page 521 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
well.. i am concerned.... patrick doesn't want to injure himself with 4flips but yet risks a major spine injury trying stupid blackflips... not impressed....
Pat technically did a back "tuck" somersault and was in the grass and being 'spotted' even though that was a fail on Eric's part. It's not like he's throwing himself into random dangerous backflips in skates on ice right now. He's fine and was just having fun.
Patrick does far worse activities on his own that could injure him like racing cars and surfing amongst others. Relax, it will be ok, and if it isn't he's only got himself to blame. Boys will be boys. :shrug:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Got up insanely early... but Patrick is on the set!

https://twitter.com/SkateTSN/status/903604007888924673

I love the way he stopped on the ice!
Are they going to make us wait until Nationals again??? That stop sounded glorious! :love:

About the back tuck incident, Ic3Rabbit gave a helpful explanation. Fun fact: If Patrick doesn't have to miss any competitions this season, that means he will have only had ONE injury that caused him to miss ONE competition over his ENTIRE career (2009 COR). That is quite the track record. :yay: Don't blow that streak now, Patrick, especially not with your programs being as amazing as they are this season! ;)

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Once again, I am indebted to the "Canadian Road to the Olympics" thread for linking to this article about HPC, written by PJ Kwong. Several Canadian skaters are mentioned, but here's Patrick's part. My favorite lines are in bold:

Trying to find that line where the programs are ready enough to be put on display but not to the point where there is no room for growth is individual to each skater. Patrick Chan won the Olympic silver in Sochi in 2014, and wants to be in Pyeongchang in 2018 but insists he has nothing to prove.

"I am doing this year the way I want to," Chan says.

His choices include skating to Dust in the Wind by Kansas for his short program, a choice that coach Marina Zoueva had to think about.

"I am now a big fan of the song," Zoueva says. "How [Patrick] delivers the feeling of the music, with every nuance, I love this song… I 100 per cent trust Patrick. If he loves the music, he knows what he is doing."

Finding the motivation to continue working towards a third Olympic Games appearance for Chan includes wanting to win gold in the team event, a step up from the silver that Canada took at the inaugural event in Sochi.

The trick in motivating oneself is to come to terms with the fact that it's you that you're trying to beat — not necessarily a competitor. [I think these are PJ's words, but I think Patrick would agree, and so do I.]

ETA: Vivley, I just read your latest blog post. Thanks for gathering all that into one convenient place! I found some stuff but, as always, you found even more! :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Are they going to make us wait until Nationals again??? That stop sounded glorious! :love:

About the back tuck incident, Ic3Rabbit gave a helpful explanation. Fun fact: If Patrick doesn't have to miss any competitions this season, that means he will have only had ONE injury that caused him to miss ONE competition over his ENTIRE career (2009 COR). That is quite the track record. :yay: Don't blow that streak now, Patrick, especially not with your programs being as amazing as they are this season! ;)

Yes it's a great track record and Patrick seems to value it very much. Though he officially only missed one event, the actual cost of that injury was quite severe, including the worst showing of his career (SC), missing the GPF, and being inadequately prepared for the Olympics. He has learned to value his health since then and I trust that he is being careful not to incur any injury at this his final Olympic season.

As it is for his current competitive mindset, I think he has a balanced physical approach as well - careful but not excluding having fun and training smartly.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I like and appreciate Patrick's current mindset re competitions very much. It's well balanced between desire and detachment.

It is obvious he has goals and ambitions to do well this season. He didn't do shows this summer and is not going to the lucrative Japan Open, choosing to do a Senior B event instead so he can present both his programs to international judges for their feedback. He has had a program music choice saved from 2 years ago for this Olympic season and he has expressed the aim for the Team Gold. Yet, he spent part of his summer to enjoy himself and to relax instead of immersing in intense training and preparation for the Olympics. A big part of his preparation this time is mental and he is maintaining a relaxed and detached attitude. He has set his own standard, goals, and mindset independent of others, including his rivals and supporters. I have no doubt he will achieve these goals, and believe he is confident about them too.

All in all, he is fulfilling my wishes for his mindset all these years - desirous yet detached from the outcome, enjoying the present and the journey, and holding on to his values and self worth. He has realized the importance of mind management and has learned some techniques so I hope he applies them well during competition performances, with relaxed focus and confidence, staying in the moment and flowing with the music, shutting out everything and everyone.

His new found spiritualism will go a long way towards his success and a fulfilled life.

I am ready for some amazing performances and emotional moments. And, I believe some big medals will come his way too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

exactly why i hope he has had enough fun falling while surfing, falling on the ice while not paying attention or when missing his camel spin and now falling out of Eric's hands... that's enough falling for one summer for me ;)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

ETA: Vivley, I just read your latest blog post. Thanks for gathering all that into one convenient place! I found some stuff but, as always, you found even more! :biggrin:

Lol, hopefully we'll get to hear that glorious stop much sooner than Nationals!

And thank you for highlighting this article. It's all the fans here and Twitter gathering all the info about Patrick - I just try to gather it all in one place! Occasionally, like a squirrel I'll find something new, too. :laugh:

I like and appreciate Patrick's current mindset re competitions very much. It's well balanced between desire and detachment.

All in all, he is fulfilling my wishes for his mindset all these years - desirous yet detached from the outcome, enjoying the present and the journey, and holding on to his values and self worth. He has realized the importance of mind management and has learned some techniques so I hope he applies them well during competition performances, with relaxed focus and confidence, staying in the moment and flowing with the music, shutting out everything and everyone.

I agree with you. IMHO the last components for him to add to his mindset are G & G & J - grace, gratitude and joy. The grace of knowing all the incredible opportunities he's had in his life as a skater (including grace for his own mistakes), gratitude for all those experiences, and then letting the joy that results from this knowledge come through and power his performances. So that not only do we see an athlete who is doing his best while being detached from the outcome, we see a radiant, happy skater who is having fun on the ice. That would be a great way for him to conclude his competitive career!

Aaw! Thank you. :love: I go to the news paper store right after work to get one...

Great, I hope you find one! Let us know what the article said about Patrick.

--------------------------------

And here's a nice flashback to the past!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDqNjtnEqEv/

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree with you. IMHO the last components for him to add to his mindset are G & G & J - grace, gratitude and joy. The grace of knowing all the incredible opportunities he's had in his life as a skater (including grace for his own mistakes), gratitude for all those experiences, and then letting the joy that results from this knowledge come through and power his performances. So that not only do we see an athlete who is doing his best while being detached from the outcome, we see a radiant, happy skater who is having fun on the ice. That would be a great way for him to conclude his competitive career!
:agree2: :love: You should tweet some version of that to Patrick. Who knows, he may see it and find it helpful.

It is obvious he has goals and ambitions to do well this season. He didn't do shows this summer and is not going to the lucrative Japan Open, choosing to do a Senior B event instead so he can present both his programs to international judges for their feedback. He has had a program music choice saved from 2 years ago for this Olympic season and he has expressed the aim for the Team Gold. Yet, he spent part of his summer to enjoy himself and to relax instead of immersing in intense training and preparation for the Olympics. A big part of his preparation this time is mental and he is maintaining a relaxed and detached attitude. He has set his own standard, goals, and mindset independent of others, including his rivals and supporters. I have no doubt he will achieve these goals, and believe he is confident about them too.

His new found spiritualism will go a long way towards his success and a fulfilled life.

I am ready for some amazing performances and emotional moments. And, I believe some big medals will come his way too.
:2thumbs: Wise and wonderful words as always, VB!!!

randomsplashes

Rinkside
Kuan, here's a photo for you - Patrick on the cover of a German skating magazine!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIpJ81SWAAEaaP9.jpg

https://twitter.com/PirouetteMag/status/903616361229844480

Apparently they have some articles about summer training in North America in there. :)

I'd like to buy 10 copies please!! :love:

I'm kind of curious as to what Patrick will pick for his outfit(s) this season. Will he choose something slim-fitting and minimalist like last season? But I also liked his '13-14 outfits too

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Yes. In fact right after I posted, I was thinking exactly about Gratitude as a major ingredient in a happy and fulfilled life. However, I think Patrick has always been grateful and giving back at any opportunity he has. Pure gratitude is essential but it often leads to or gets mixed with other emotions and turned into obligations and responsibilities, which can be sensible and motivating, or into sense of indebtedness, burdens and psychological packages, and worse, into guilt. There is Grace in pure Gratitude - gracious acceptance and being a giving person in turn. Difficulty in gracious acceptance leads to insistence of return of at least as much to the original giver, due to a sense of being undeserving or simply a refusal and reluctant acceptance of a debt one can't wait to get rid of. The worst case is getting rid of guilt by turning against a benefactor by twisting a benevolence into a malevolence simply because of unwillingness or hopeless inability to pay back.

I feel Patrick was burdened by expectation of his supporters to whom he was very grateful and didn't want to let down. This sense of obligation caused him his worst disappointments - the initial falls when debuting his quad and the errors laden Sochi performance. The more badly he wanted something and to not disappoint, the worse the outcome. Boitano may have understood and given him pointers on focusing but Patrick himself seems to have realized the root cause and is letting go of the burden. So he now understands and has decided he needs to skate for himself so as to have total focus during competitions, especially when the stakes are high. Such detachment and focus diminish the stakes and make it easier to relax.

It's not that he abandons winning or gratitude to his supporters, but he has learned that the more importance he places on them, the more the desired outcome would get away from him. Desiring but not insisting, setting goals with no resistance from within, being OK with himself no matter what, that's the mindset he needs and he has integrated it well. :2thumbs:

We all only need to do our human best and accept all gifts and blessings form the Universe with Grace and Gratitude. And yes, relax, have fun and Joy always. G & G & J. :)

Go Patrick! Be yourself. Be happy.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
We have so much fun in this thread. We laugh and we cheer and we cry together on occasion (sad tears, happy tears). But there are times also when, with the backdrop and example of Patrick's journey, this thread teaches me about life itself and how to live well. So, a big :ghug: and :thank: to everyone who makes this thread the uplifting and educational place that it is!!! I've said before that it's my favorite place to hang out on GS (477 posts and counting). :) I learn so much while being a fan of Patrick. I've always loved how open he is in interviews, although it has gotten him into trouble sometimes and made him less liked by some skating fans. By sharing his mind and heart with us, Patrick gives us the opportunity to learn from him as we go through our own journeys in life. Some people wonder why I'm so deeply into figure skating (particularly online forums), but this is why. :yes:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
We have so much fun in this thread. We laugh and we cheer and we cry together on occasion (sad tears, happy tears). But there are times also when, with the backdrop and example of Patrick's journey, this thread teaches me about life itself and how to live well. So, a big :ghug: and :thank: to everyone who makes this thread the uplifting place that it is!!! I've said before that it's my favorite place to hang out on GS (477 posts and counting). :) I learn so much while being a fan of Patrick. I've always loved how open he is in interviews, although it has gotten him into trouble sometimes and made him less liked by some skating fans. By sharing his mind and heart with us, Patrick gives us the opportunity to learn from him as we go through our own journeys in life. Some people wonder why I'm so deeply into figure skating (particularly online forums), but this is why. :yes:

:agree:

I've always been grateful for Patrick's openness, which offers us a chance to learn about the mind of a winner. As well, along the way, we see and share the humanness of a highly successful overachiever. It's been a great journey.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:agree:

I've always been grateful for Patrick's openness, which offers us a chance to learn about the mind of a winner. As well, along the way, we see and share the humanness of a highly successful overachiever. It's been a great journey.

Add genuine and generous to your Gs for Patrick. That is also one of the reasons i relate to him. He speaks his mind and heart and he skates the way he speaks, with generosity and truth.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Add genuine and generous to your Gs for Patrick. That is also one of the reasons i relate to him. He speaks his mind and heart and he skates the way he speaks, with generosity and truth.

I wasn't listing all his admirable attributes but discussing the mind tweaks he has made as he progresses from a brash young natural born winner to a necessarily wiser mature athlete with all the experiences as well as mental packages.

Now if we are to swoon over all his qualities, it would take pages to go over his Physical Component Scores as well as Personal Comportment Scores. ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wasn't listing all his admirable attributes but discussing the mind tweaks he has made as he progresses from a brash young natural born winner to a necessarily wiser mature athlete with all the experiences as well as mental packages.

Now if we are to swoon over all his qualities, it would take pages to go over his Physical Component Scores as well as Personal Comportment Scores. ;)

i know :) but i am here to swoon :) you should appreciate i did not write gorgeous :)