Japanese Nationals - Ladies | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals - Ladies

How lovely Mao's skate was. She moves so lightly and smoothly, shifting balance so easily, as if she were dancing. I love the way she uses her arms! In slow motion she's exquisite as well. To my mind, she has better twizzles than most ice dancers.

I love the arrangement of the music. It conveys the beauty of Rimsky-Korsakov's melodies but gives the piece a freshness, so Mao doesn't look as if she's imitating any of the myriad of other skaters who have used Scheherezade.

I can breathe again. Now on to the long program!

daphna

On the Ice
Mao is so fantastic. i almost cried watching her skate like this after what must have been a tough few weeks for her. gotta love her.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Watched Mao's skate, good job, here's hoping she can also hold it together for the FS as well. :)

This one looks like it will be a nail biter, seeing how the top 2 are practically tied, therefore the FS should really decide all (unlike the Mens, where the winner was already pre-determined after the SP due to the huge 11 point lead). Jmho.

By the way, this is honestly my favorite type of competition, where the top 2 (or three) are virtually tied, so the FS decides all, as it should be. :cool: Reminds me of how close it was between Sonja & her two rivals at the 1936 Olympics. It all came down to the LP!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!! :rock:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Interesting competition this has been. Congrats for Kanako for making a comeback after a disappointing GP season. Mao did great as she has been all season (and I agree she definitely makes this warhorse her own!) and though Akiko was not perfect (and its reflected in the TES), she did not let up on the performance or the flow of the program (+I noticed her spins were much faster!), so I think third is appropriate.

I like Miu Sato, but I think she lacks polish and doesn't have as much ice coverage as the top three. But she is certainly one to watch!

Last edited:
If I knew Japanese, I'd send a fan letter to Mr. Nobuo Sato. The way he's taken care of Mao, especially in these past few weeks, is exemplary.

I even like her costume! The color is gorgeous on TV. It seems like a kind of violet blue. What's it like in real life?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Mao looked beautiful and so mature but also so sweet. there was moment there after her music ended when I thought she was going to cry but then she didn't. nice to see her skating well and confident even after her tragedy. I hope she can skate a clean LP and win :)

and yes, Mr. Sato has been a great coach and almost father figure for her.

mary01

Final Flight
me too i will also clench my teeth and hope that Mao snatches the world title, and I really lok forward to see her liebestraume again such a beautiful program!