Japanese Nationals - Ladies | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals - Ladies

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
So happy for the ladies!

Mao was lovely. Her SP was very nice, clean and controlled. I really like that piece for her and *gasp* dare I say TAT has finally done a good competitive program for Mao? :eek: I'm not a fan of TAT's competitive programs for Mao, though her exhibition pieces are fabulous. I like the music choice of Scheherazade they picked; it's unlike any of the ones skaters have used recently which allows it to stand on its own. It's a solid program, though I still think Nocturne and Claire de Lune are Mao's best SPs. Mao did a lot better here than I expected her to given what she's been through these last few weeks. She's such a strong and inspiring young lady and I'm so happy to see her back on top.

Oh, and can I just say her exhibition program is beyond words. I can't even explain how amazingly touching and beautiful it is. I wrote a blog about it a couple of months ago and the best way I can describe that "Jupiter" program is beautiful sadness...it's so gorgeous it makes me want to cry. Mao is the only skater since Michelle Kwan who has made me feel like that while watching her...just breathtakingly beautiful. I love her so much and I'm so proud of her. Well done Mao! ;)

Akiko has had better performances but she didn't give up. I'm so glad she's going to worlds this year and I really think she has a great shot at the podium. Despite her mistakes, she still won the FS and, had she not had such a tough time in the SP, she would have won the title. I've always thought she was a wonderful skater and a superb performer and I'm just glad the judges are finally noticing that. I wish her the best of luck heading into worlds.

I'm very happy for Kanako. She had such a breakout season last year but she's been struggling a lot this year. She nailed that SP and did a good job in the FS. That fall on the footwork was so weird! After the performance you could tell how embarrassed she was and Machiko's face when she finished was priceless!:laugh: I'm glad she made the team again too. She's grown so much in terms of her expression and relation to the music and I just love her speed. Kanako's exhibition was very lovely as well. You can really see her maturity and growth in that performance and she does such a good job of carrying that music and letting it build. Wonderful exhibition from her; she really created a moment there and it was beautiful.

I thought Risa Shoji's FS was very good. I didn't check the protocols so I'm assuming she ended up with a few < calls or something, but from what I saw, she nailed that. I really love that program and her style of skating.

Well, Japan has a very strong team heading into worlds. I think both Mao and Akiko could make the podium this year and if Kanako can get that 3t-3t solid, she has a great shot at a top 4-6 finish.

Now I'm waiting for US and Russian nationals! I REALLY hope someone posts video of Russian nationals; that's going to be one helluva dog fight for those three spots, for both senior and junior worlds!:biggrin:

DianaSelene

Medalist
I doubt both Liza and Adelina goes to JW. I read an article saying they participate in youth Olympics. Besides,Adelina already has JW title,so I guess that doesn't have any benefit for her. Liza may take part in it though.

But why would she not go to JW? I don't think she would be against a second title. It would be strange if she wouldn't go to JW when she can't go to seniors and where she could get more experience and another medal.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m just catching up with ladies and I m beyond words about Mao's performances. I dont know how she could do it but it looks to me fs athletes are a special kind, I dont know how she found the strength, same as Rochette.
And I agree her gala is magical.
This is the best world teams, men and ladies, i could ask for. :)

NMURA

Medalist
Both Sotnikova and Tuktamisheva can't be the favorites at junior worlds. 3Lz-3Lo or 3Lz-3T are not allowed in the SP. They don't have any advantages against THE favorite who is extremely consistent.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Both Sotnikova and Tuktamisheva can't be the favorites at junior worlds. 3Lz-3Lo or 3Lz-3T are not allowed in the SP. They don't have any advantages against THE favorite who is extremely consistent.

Both Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are capable of 3-3s other than 3lz-3t/3lp. Both are capable of 3f-3t/3lp, which would put them ahead of Julia who does a 3t-3t. Liza T has been very consistent with her 3-3 this year and if Adelina gets to scrap the lutz from her combo her rate of success will go up. The only area Julia holds an edge in is spins because of her unique flexibility; Liza T has better technique than Julia and Adelina is faster and jumps bigger.

Being that Adelina and Liza T are the reigning junior world gold and silver medalists and that both had success on the GP this year (Liza T winning both of her events and Adelina medaling at both of hers), both will come in as serious contenders with senior level experience which will help them in the eyes of the judges. I think Julia is the favorite for gold judging from her success on the JGP but to be fair, she wasn't challenged nearly as much as Adelina and Liza T were last year on the JGP. I'm almost positive the Russians will sweep the podium this year.

I'd predict Liza T, Julia and Adelina go 1-2-3 at junior worlds...unless Adelina gets herself together in which case I see it going Adelina, Liza T, Julia...either way if all of them make it to the competition, it will more than likely be some combination of the three.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Well, Elizaveta appears to have a problem jump in the flip, she has frequently doubled it or had trouble with it this year - she doesn't even attempt it in the SP because of this. Also, I'm not 100% if they can do a 3F-3T/3Lo just because they can do 3Lz-3T or 3Lz-3Lo. I would think if Adelina could do 3F-3Lo, she would've changed it by now because of her flutz. Note Julia also gets called for a flutz sometimes.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Not to go totally off topic, but what about Gracie Gold? 3Lz (no edge call), 3F+3T, 2A in the SP, 3Lz+3T, 2A+3T in the LP; BIG jumps and lots of speed...She also has had one assignment so far in her career at a JGP and her score was pretty close to Lipnitskaia's with no international experience.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
why are we discussing about Liza, Adelina, Julia and Gracie here ? isn't this about Japanese Nationals ? :confused:

with that said how many juniors does Japan set to compete at worlds
so it will be Satoko Miyahara and Haruna Suzuki ?

burntBREAD

Medalist
why are we discussing about Liza, Adelina, Julia and Gracie here ? isn't this about Japanese Nationals ? :confused:

with that said how many juniors does Japan set to compete at worlds
so it will be Satoko Miyahara and Haruna Suzuki ?

It's Miyahara, Shoji, and I'm pretty sure Sato. Tomotaki must be feeling a bit badly after finishing 2nd at Jr. Nationals both this and last year...

volk

Final Flight
I'm very happy for Kanako. She had such a breakout season last year but she's been struggling a lot this year. She nailed that SP and did a good job in the FS. That fall on the footwork was so weird! After the performance you could tell how embarrassed she was and Machiko's face when she finished was priceless!:laugh: I'm glad she made the team again too. She's grown so much in terms of her expression and relation to the music and I just love her speed. Kanako's exhibition was very lovely as well. You can really see her maturity and growth in that performance and she does such a good job of carrying that music and letting it build. Wonderful exhibition from her; she really created a moment there and it was beautiful.

Then why does she keep getting the same PCS from judges?

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Then why does she keep getting the same PCS from judges?

For the exact same reason Akiko Suzuki got shafted in PCS until this year when the judges finally decided to look her way; for the same reason Patrick Chan can fall 3 or 4 times and still win by 10+ points; for the same reason fans (both casual and educated) are getting fed up with this sport...the judges are full of ****. That's why. :sheesh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
For the exact same reason Akiko Suzuki got shafted in PCS until this year when the judges finally decided to look her way; for the same reason Patrick Chan can fall 3 or 4 times and still win by 10+ points; for the same reason fans (both casual and educated) are getting fed up with this sport...the judges are full of ****. That's why. :sheesh:

:sheesh: Name one time that Patrick Chan falls 3 or 4 times and still wins by 10+ points.

Judges are not the ones full of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DianaSelene

Medalist
:sheesh: Name one time that Patrick Chan falls 3 or 4 times and still wins by 10+ points.

Judges are not the ones full of it.

You are completely correct. :laugh: I agree. At the gpf, Chan did not fall 3 or 4 times. Instead, in the short program, he fell on his 4T-3T and messed up the 3A. In the long program, he stepped out of the first 4T, put a hand down on the quad in the 4T-2T, and messed up the 2T in that combination. Oh, and then, he fell on the lutz. So what is the grand total of mistakes?..... 6 big mistakes? And he won by 10+ points- to be exact 11.18 points. :biggrin: Of course, all of the other elements are SO SUPERB that he can still afford to win by such a large margin. Or his choreography, transitions, etc. are so amazing that they can project him to first place any day. He also got PCS about 2 points in the short and 2 points in the long higher than Takahashi. You mean Takahashi that is one of the best in history when considering performance, interpretation, and choreography? Really? Many people often argue that it is not true Chan won with 3 or 4 falls. Well, he did worse at this gpf.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
At GPF 2011, Chan had 2 falls total.

Go ahead, name one event in which Chan fell 3 or 4 times and won by 10+ points.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Who knew that Patrick Chan was a Japanese lady?

For that matter, who knew that Daisuke Takahashi was a Japanese lady?

Do you feel we need a thread, titled something like a Fall & Slip Reference, describing every time a skater or team had skating flaws and won an event, so that we can reference the information accurately? That is, a Winners' Slip and Fall reference, since it is indeed true these days that many skaters and teams have major flaws & falls and still medal.

If you feel we need that education, SkateFiguring, would you please start such a thread so that we can be accurate here? An alternative way to look at it is the old 6.0 way-how many clean jumps did the winning skater land per competition. This is a more positive way to represent the data.

It might keep this repretitive discussion from highjacking every competition thread in the forum.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I didn't bring it up but can't help refuting nonsense when it comes up, and it seems to come up everywhere I happen to look.

DianaSelene

Medalist
First of all, 4 non-fall mistakes may worse than one fall. Your argument is the falls. But that's not just it. If Chan won a competition with 2 falls only and no other mistakes that would be one thing but that is not the case.
Second, name me in his whole career: "How many competitions in his senior career did Patrick Chan win without falls (I'm not even counting competitions where he stepped out of a jump or put his hand down)?" I already count world and canadian nationals. Any more? You probably won't find that many. And let me reiterate- sometimes a bunch of mistakes are more costly than one fall. Consider the fall on the 3 lutz he had. He got -2.10. The fall on 4T-3T. He got -2.29. Together that would be -4.39. Yes, the GOEs are on jumps that have different base values but there would be a small difference if the falls were both lutzes or both 4T.

Now, his numerous mistakes. 4T (-1.86), 4T-2T (-2.43), 3A (-1.00). That is a total of -5.29. Together, these mistakes had more negative GOEs than two falls. Again, I understand that the higher value the jump, the more GOE you get, but the difference could be in a tenth maybe if all of the jumps were the same value.

I'm not arguing that Chan won with 3 falls, I'm arguing he won with 2 falls and a bunch of high costing mistakes.

DianaSelene

Medalist
First of all, 4 non-fall mistakes may worse than one fall. Your argument is the falls. But that's not just it. If Chan won a competition with 2 falls only and no other mistakes that would be one thing but that is not the case.
Second, name me in his whole career: "How many competitions in his senior career did Patrick Chan win without falls (I'm not even counting competitions where he stepped out of a jump or put his hand down)?" I already count world and canadian nationals. Any more? You probably won't find that many. And let me reiterate- sometimes a bunch of mistakes are more costly than one fall. Consider the fall on the 3 lutz he had. He got -2.10. The fall on 4T-3T. He got -2.29. Together that would be -4.39. Yes, the GOEs are on jumps that have different base values but there would be a small difference if the falls were both lutzes or both 4T.

Now, his numerous mistakes. 4T (-1.86), 4T-2T (-2.43), 3A (-1.00). That is a total of -5.29. Together, these mistakes had more negative GOEs than two falls. Again, I understand that the higher value the jump, the more GOE you get, but the difference could be in a tenth maybe if all of the jumps were the same value.

I'm not arguing that Chan won with 3 falls, I'm arguing he won with 2 falls and a bunch of high costing mistakes.

Sorry, Doris about putting this here. I didn't see your post until I already posted mine. Please put it in another thread. Thanks.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^ I won't go into such discussion on this thread. Just responding to a statement made. A simple request to back up a statement made as a basis for another statement, i.e. judges are full of you know what.

DianaSelene

Medalist
^^^ I won't go into such discussion on this thread. Just responding to a statement made. A simple request to back up a statement made as a basis for another statement, i.e. judges are full of you know what.

I completely understand. I was just answering you when you asked about how many times Chan won with 3 or 4 falls. But to put an end to this, I will say that Chan did win once with 4 falls. It was at Skate Canada in 2010. But he won by 3 points, not 10. Just saying. ;)