Spanish Skaters - news & thoughts | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Spanish Skaters - news & thoughts

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plushenko will be able to go to Euros if he wants to go. Forget about the minimum score, it doesn't apply to his case. The only way he won't go is his health or lack of will.

What do you mean by his case? I really wish ISU goes by the rules and doesnt make an exception, unless there is some normal way he could go without the minimum score I d rather he didnt, basically for health reasons, and I hope RF doesnt push ISU or/and him to go, I dont know what is the agreement for his reinstatement but from his interview posted here I didnt think he really intended to compete this season to euros.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Adrian won't be at Euros. Here is the list of the Swedish skaters participating. Sweden has now a pair also! http://iof2.idrottonline.se/SvenskaKonstakningsforbundet/Media/Nyhetsarkiv/ParakaremedistorEM-trupp/

Here is quite a resent article of Adrian where he says he will retire after the Olympics. Also it sounds like he might not go to the Worlds either, because the lack of preparation:
http://www.dn.se/sport/schultheiss-ser-slutet-efter-os

Any way someone could translate this?
Thanks so much in advance.

Sorry for the off topic, but back on topic, I wanted to say that I'm super proud of Javi and I liked him since before it was cool. Hehe. Plus he's really down to earth and approachable(sp?) and will actually respond to his fans on fb and I totally respect that.
Go Javi!!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What do you mean by his case? I really wish ISU goes by the rules and doesnt make an exception, unless there is some normal way he could go without the minimum score I d rather he didnt, basically for health reasons, and I hope RF doesnt push ISU or/and him to go, I dont know what is the agreement for his reinstatement but from his interview posted here I didnt think he really intended to compete this season to euros.

The rule would be that he has to get a qualifying score in both the SP and LP before competing at Euros and Worlds in order to compete at those competitions. The required minimum scores are very low; there is no way Plush could not make them, but he has to go to a Senior B to get the scores. The 3 ISU tournaments between now and Euros do not have a senior men's or ladies' competition.

There are men's and ladies' events in some Senior B's between Euros & Worlds, though.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ thank you. I know the case and the fact that there is not b event from now till euros.
Thats why I asked, I dont think that The only way he won't go is his health or lack of will is correct as the poster said. I dont know what he/she meant by his case but since he doesnt have the score demanded I dont see how he would go unless there is a paragraph I miss.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There have been some funny exceptions for past Olympic medallists, but I didn't think there was one for this rule...however, it isn't something I paid that much attention to.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Me too, I honestly never had so far a case of a skater that had to qualify with a minimum score to a competition, more so Plushy :D

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Me too, I honestly never had so far a case of a skater that had to qualify with a minimum score to a competition, more so Plushy :D
I believe Volosozhar and Trankov had to do it last season, and that's why they competed at the Mont Blanc Trophy. I'm not sure if this was the rationale for Samuelson/Gilles going to CoC so early in their partnership, but I suspect it might have been a consideration.

I think the Spanish skaters are all fine in this regard, though ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
^
The rule I suppose was to exclude skaters from the early groups that were not in international level. V/T couldnt go to Euros anyway because of Tatiana switching countries and how could they have any score since they were not a pair before?
Spanish thread is hijacked. :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
V/T couldnt go to Euros anyway because of Tatiana switching countries and how could they have any score since they were not a pair before?
That's why they had to go to Mont Blanc - it was pretty much the only international pairs event between Tatiana becoming eligible to skate for Russia (mid-February) and the original date of 2011 Worlds, so it was really their only opportunity to get the minimum score.

sigrid

On the Ice
Does Spain have a synchro team yet?
As far as I know, there's a synchro team giving its first steps at Majadahonda's ice-rink since September/October.

hahaha we told her that she could take all the time she needed, but she just wanted to do it fast, I think she was so funny. Sonia did the interview right after Sara Hurtado and it was hilarious how Sara was complaining the whole time saying "it's not fair! I was the first one and now they know all the questions!" :biggrin:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Isn't the Ladies figure skating in Spain growing in Popularity ?
no doubt , they will be producing top a list skaters in the future like Javier

sigrid

On the Ice
How the name orange team came out? I love these interviews!
As we're wearing those orange T-shirts during the competitions, I guess it just came out naturally... And if you're wondering, we chose the orange so our families could spot us on TV easily :biggrin:

Isn't the Ladies figure skating in Spain growing in Popularity ?
no doubt , they will be producing top a list skaters in the future like Javier
Well, figure skating is slowly growing in popularity, and if Javier medals at Euros, it'll be big. But you know, the skating schools have been always full of girls, I suppose that more boys are starting to skate now thanks to Javi.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Say, if Javier goes against the odds and wins the next Olympic, Brian Orser will be seen as a coach that can bring skaters from small skating federations or countries (Korea and Spain) to win the big prize.