Strangest thing you've seen during a skating show? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Strangest thing you've seen during a skating show?

Johar

Medalist
These are fun to read. Thanks to the people who responded.

With Tonya Harding, I just KNEW something unusual had to happen out there on the ice. And it did. I read somewhere that after she left the ice she went backstage and got sick to her stomach from nerves.

It's too bad she had all that talent and it went to waste through bad choices.

kappa_1

On the Ice
I think it was at Brian Boitano's special last year, I can't remember which one, but something planned which I thought was strange was them getting Apolo Anton Ono to skate around the rink in his speed skates a few times (by himself). I thought to myself that maybe he would do a single axel or spiral or something to wow the crowd (wasn't the axel invented on speed skates afterall?), but he just continued to skate around accompanied by background music. It really made me wonder what was the point.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Well...

...I back to my facination with clothing or the lack there of. Michael Weiss is also well on his way to after life as a Chippendale dancer if his exhibition (literally and figuratively) at Lalique televised yesterday is further indication.

DG

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
I didn't see this live, but I did see it on tape. Boitano was appearing at some Charity Show in CT a few years ago. He was skating to some music from Henry V (Non Nobis Domine?) and he did a little jump and ended up outside the ice. They didn't have the big sideboards - just a little edge a few inches high. He continued his footwork to the music for a step or two outside the rink and then jumped back in as if nothing had happened.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I have to agreee, DG.......I am a big fan of Michael Weiss, but I too am wondering why he popped his shirt open towards the end of his performance.........:eek: 42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL 42...

I was distracted by Michael's midrif shirt from the get go, and just shook my head and said GEEZ when he ripped it open. It reminded my of my Dad saying "get back in here and put some decent clothes on" over things I tried to wear back in high school. And I had decent abs too way back then LOL!

DG

Jhar55

Medalist
How about last year when Melissa Gregory fell out of her dress. The next comp she had another strap on it. :eek:

Johar

Medalist
Jhar55 said:
How about last year when Melissa Gregory fell out of her dress. The next comp she had another strap on it. :eek:

Oh my!:eek:

What happened right afterwards? Was she completely naked? Yikes!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Brian Boitano's arm movements to that song, Blue by Eiffel 65. He was just randomly waving his hands, and I think he only used that program once.

actually he used it all season long... competitions and shows...

Johar, Melissa's "top" fell down and so she was exposed a little more than she ever expected to be... however she was able to lift it up and they continued, somewhat distracted, their program to the end... I love that program.... :)
http://www.theskateblade.com/gregory-petukhov (speaking of which they have a Christmas Message for their fans! :))

Matt

On the Ice
Jhar55 said:

Didn't that happen to Shae-Lynn Bourne in the CD at Worlds a couple years ago? If I remember, she popped out of her dress and had to finish the program like that. Talk about embarassing!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Johar:

I find this hard to believe of Kurt:

Kurt Browning forgetting his routine. He stopped and went toward the boards, where Scottie Hamilton asked what the heck happened. Browning told him and Hamilton asked if he could just ad lib. Browning couldn't. It was the first time I had seen a skater forget a routine.

Are you sure Kurt and Scott were not just kidding with the audience? As far as Kurt ad libbing - he could pull that off no problem.

N

nthuz

It was no joke. Absolutley bizzare. All performers are taught to keep going when they forget...don't let the audience know you made a mistake. But this was a case of absolute FREEZEING. I was watching with such embarrassment for him. I will never forget that moment.

Johar

Medalist
I felt embarrassed for him, too. I've never seen a skater forget a routine before or since.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
forgetting

yes. that was in 1997, i believe at some fluff pro-am. he was skating a technical program (SP) to techno music...then he forgot his program. a judge gave him a 2.5 for tech merit.

heyang

Record Breaker
Everyone's right about Kurt totally freezing.... I can't remember which program, but it was very new. He just totally lost track of where he was in the program and didn't know how to continue. Kurt was totally stymied and had a 'Duh' moment.

swissskate

Rinkside
The strangest thing I've seen in competition was when Stéphane Bernadis litterally fell on his balls (yuk!) during the free programm of the Trophée Lalique (don't remeber the exact year). He couldn't breath correctly afterwards, was shocking but still a kind of funny (men falling on sexual parts always make me laugh, don't ask why!).

I also saw a video of Philippe Candeloro once crashing down on the ice on one of his backflip, he litterally landed on his head and shoulders, but fortunately it wasn't that bad...

Another breathtaking fall was the one of Obertas Palamarchuk in Nice in 2000, he couldn't stand up immediately, so this time it was real tragical...Fortunately it wasn't so bad at the end, but this was the end of their carreer together...

The last on was during a gal, Art on Ice, held in december 2002 in Lausanne. There were live musicians playing on the scene, so part of the rink was used by them, which meant the skating surface was reduced. Apparently Maria Butyrskaya didn't realise it and by doing a backward arabesque she crashed litterally in the scene! We specators were shocked, but Maria immediately continued skating. Nevertheless it must have been a real painful crash...:sheesh:

Tpangner

Rinkside
At a local Competition I attended, both zambonis broke in the middle of the ice surface ! There were pile of snow everywhere !!

Germanice

On the Ice
At the Cup of Russia Gala, I guess it was 1998, the skaters got a lot of trophy's which they put down on the ice in order to do a lil' "bow" around the rink. After that the trophy's were that much frozen on the ice, so that the skaters had a real hard time to remove them, if at all. I've seen Evgeny Plushenko and Sasha Abt arm in arm, each of them chopping the ice with one leg just to get their trophy's off, but nothing really worked. Finally only a hose full of hot water helped. It was such a fun to watch this! :laugh:

Anke

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Sarah and Stephane

The strangest thing I've seen in competition was when Stéphane Bernadis litterally fell on his balls (yuk!) during the free programm of the Trophée Lalique (don't remeber the exact year). He couldn't breath correctly afterwards, was shocking but still a kind of funny (men falling on sexual parts always make me laugh, don't ask why!).

That was in 1996. They were skating to Hava Nagila, I believe. I'm not sure if they got a re-skate or not, but I remember Sarah being pissed off because they got a 5.4 and she felt they should've received higher. It was a strange musical choice. They had traditional Hava Nagila, Schindler's List as the slow section, then techno Hava!