Wish list for 2012 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Wish list for 2012

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
My wish for 2012 in figure skating:

Patrick Chan wins every competition he enters in.:yes:

Fernandez wins Europeans.:thumbsup:

Plushenko is on the podiums both at Euros and at Worlds which means that he'd beat and bumped off someone who is favorite in the current field.:biggrin:

Every skater in all four disciplines is healthy. No more tragic and unexpected event happens.

Last edited:
Here are skateluvr's missing posts. :eek:: Sorry about that.

skateluvr said:
Mathman said:
But as for me, I just wish that Patrick and Daisuke both stay on their feet, and may the best man win. Go-o-o Kevin Van der Perren!

Yes, yay Mathman. May KVDP blast off his quads and triples and may the judges reward him for good skating. Oldie but goodie!

Janna said:
My wish list, just one item:

The international judges will be instructed by ISU to start judging based on what actually happens on the ice in that particular competition (and no more especially PCS judging based on reputation, please).

Amen.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
skateluvr, I wish twice as much as Nadine wishes ice dance to be eliminated, that ice dance flourishes and is shown more often on TV than any other discipline.
I hope that counters all the bad luck...

(There are encouraging signs. On US spots last night's 2011 World Championships retrospective, the top 3 in all four disciplines were shown. Good enough!)

Hmmm, Nadine, I can see why you might hate ice dance in the era of dying on ice, the cheating judges giving medals to Russian/Europeans over say Bourne and Kraatz. But ice dance is so much better since the Canton crew climbed to the top. I think ice dance is a sport and a difficult one. Also, we see pure skating mostly only in icedance as the others are busy planning every move with CoP difficulty. I admist I used to skip a lot of ice dance and pay attention to only top 5 teams, so I'm no hardcore ice dance fan. Poor Doris, you* can't* wish her favorite skating away, LOL!:unsure:

Skateluvr, I agree. You make a great point that we often see pure skating best in ice dance, because singles and pairs are so caught up with adding CoP frills and furbelows. (Though Daisuke and Patrick are doing just fine, mind you.) I think that the Canton group has added so much to ice dance, and I'm avid to see more.

mare

Rinkside
I was one of those people who did not think that ice dance should be added to the Olympics because I didn't think it was a sport. The advent of CoP has totally changed my mind. I particularly love the contributions made by the Canton school skaters especially the increased emphasis on athleticism. I realize that many will not agree with me but in the end I think that Canton will have a positive influence overall.

I expect that ice dance and its rules will continue to change and that other schools/skaters will utilize CoP to create styles uniquely their own. I can't wait.

My best to all of you for a happy new year.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
How many wishes do I get? Well, #1 is: Alissa Czisny skates clean, including a 3Lz/3T in her FS, at Nationals and Worlds. Woo-hoo, Alissa!

I don't even know where to begin after that. :)

KKonas

Medalist
Now for my own personal figure skating wish. *evil smile* (;^) I want ice dance totally eliminated, which goes waaaaaaaaaaaaay back, as far back as Adrian Chew's old board in the late 1990's. I've never considered it a sport, no matter how hard proponents of it have tried to justify its existence. It doesn't fool me. Sure there were routines I liked and enjoyed, but as a whole I've never liked ice dance nor considered it a true sport. And I will never pay good $$$ to see it, nor have I.

Here's hoping more & more cuts are going to continue when it comes to this discipline. I already note that compulsories have been cut, and they are not usually shown on t.v.. Also, they are (rightfully so) the first ones to get eliminated when it comes to television time constraints.

May these changes continue, that's my own personal figure skating wish. Let the money go to those two long-standing disciplines that actually deserve it ~ singles & pairs.

No matter how hard you try to ignore ice dance, you can’t run away from the history of the sport. Jackson Haines, considered by skating historians as the “father of modern figure skating,” was an American ballet dancer. He was also the first skater to actually perform to music. Nowadays single and pair skaters use former ice dancers as choreographers because ice dancers are among the most creative skaters, and many coaches today insist their single skaters train basic compulsory dances in order to learn to actually skate to not thru music and generate better edge control. Getting rid of ice dancing and ice dancers will eventually get rid of the sport altogether.

I didn't know that about Haines! That's so cool. It cements the importance of ice dancing in figure skating, as well. Thanks for the explanation.

And I didn't realize that German was the original language of skating. It makes sense. Though Haines was I think American, skating seems to have caught on first and most fiercely in Central Europe, judging by the early winners, except of course for Madge Syers of Britain. I think that in most languages with gender-reflecting adjectives (French, German, Russian--almost everything except English), the masculine is indeed the default. Spanish now styles things with the feminine in parentheses sometimes, but as far as I know, French uses masculine adjective endings in singular and plural when a mixed group is being referred to, or in the case of nouns with two variations. As I recall, for example, les Francais (can't do the cedille under the c on my home computer) is "The French" when either men or both genders are referred to, so it's implying the inclusion of les Francaises as well.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I am not asking for much but

1. Patrick stay on his feet for more than 2minutes.
2. Mirai gets her miracle skate at US nationals and then to medal at WC :laugh:
3. Hanyu get to medal at WC (tiny chance, but i just love his Romeo and Juliet program)
4. Artistry in skating get proper acknowledgement, but alas it is a lost cause.
5. Ladies bring back their 3:3s, 3As and win on the merit of their skate rather than advantage of the rules and favoured political status (yeah more lost cause).
6. Plushy's return to win at least 1 event at WC. Yes it will be epic and controversial but surely awesome!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For those interested in the origins of ice dance

http://articles.sfgate.com/1998-01-04/entertainment/17711129_1_ice-dancing-ice-follies-skating

Ice dancing was born with the waltz in Vienna at the end of the 19th century. It was an American, Jackson Haines, who popularized it and virtually defined a style that remains in force today: long, graceful glides on a 3/4 beat, with variations in the middle as a break. That style made its way from Vienna to Broadway in the Ice Follies of 1915. The star of that show moved to Hollywood in 1916 and became the first skater to star in a motion picture, the silent epic "The Frozen Warning."

This is why Les Patineurs Waltz by Waldteufel was written in 1882.
And why Boitano skated to it in antique looking costume in his 1988 SP

old print of 2 women dancing on ice
http://www.scarreenactors.com/Homespun/images/stories/Articles/ice1.jpg

photo of 3 women dancing on ice in Central park
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_abou...-Skating-at-72nd-Street-Lake_Central-Park.jpg

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am not asking for much but

1. Patrick stay on his feet for more than 2minutes.
2. Mirai gets her miracle skate at US nationals and then to medal at WC :laugh:
3. Hanyu get to medal at WC (tiny chance, but i just love his Romeo and Juliet program)
4. Artistry in skating get proper acknowledgement, but alas it is a lost cause.
5. Ladies bring back their 3:3s, 3As and win on the merit of their skate rather than advantage of the rules and favoured political status (yeah more lost cause).
6. Plushy's return to win at least 1 event at WC. Yes it will be epic and controversial but surely awesome!

Not asking for much? :)

Wishes imply they are not currently happening. So let me raise some points on the more easily verifiable facts on a couple of wishes:

Wish #1: Of the 10 performances of the 2 competitive programs in 2011 ISU events and the Nationals, only once did Patrick Chan not stay on his feet for more than 2 minutes. I don't see the need and emphasis placed on such a wish.

Wish #5:

1. Do you care to expound on Ladies who didn't "win on the merit of their skate rather than advantage of the rules and favoured political status"? Since I have no objection to skating to win on the advantage of the rules, which I consider legitimate and intelligent, can you give us examples of Ladies winning on favoured political status and why you consider them to have done so? (Personally I can think of one questionable win with an extremely slim margin so this is not a big concern with me.)

2. Here's a list of 3/3 performed by Ladies at 2011 ISU events:

Ksenia Makarova - 3T/3T SP Worlds, 3T/3T< LP Worlds

Sarah Hecken - 3T/3T LP Worlds

Alena Leonova - 3T/3T SP Worlds, 3T/3T LP Worlds, 3T/3T SP NHK, 3T/3T LP NHK, 3T/3T SP COR, 3T/3T LP COR, 3T/3T SP GPF, 3T/3T LP GPF

Carolina Kostner - 3T/3T SP Worlds, 3T/3T SP SA, 3T/3T SP COC, 3T/3T SP TEB, 3T/3T SP GPF

Kanako Murakami - 3T/3T< SP Worlds, 3T/3T LP Worlds, 3F/3T< SP COC 3F/3T << SP TEB

Cheltzie Lee - 3T/3T SP Worlds

Yuna Kim - 3Lz/3T LP Worlds

Kiira Korpi - 3T/3T LP Worlds

Alissa Czisny - 3Lz/3T<< LP SA

Adelona Sotnikova - 3T/3T SP SC, 3Lz/3Lo (e) LP COC, 3Lz/3T (e) LP COR

Elizaveta Tuktamisheva - 3Lz/3T SP SC, 3Lz/3T LP SC, 3Lz/3T SP TEB, 3Lz/3T LP TEB, 3Lz/3T SP GPF, 3Lz/3T LP GPF

Christina Gao - 3F/3T SP COC, 3F/3T LP COC

Kexin Zhang - 3T/3T SP COC, 3T/3T LP COC

Sofia Biryukova - 3T/3T SP COR, 3T/3T LP COR

Agnes Zadwazki - 3T/3T SP NHK, 3T/3T (fall) SP COR

Akiko Suzuki - 3T/3T SP NHK

Mae Berenice Meite - 3T/3T SP NHK, 3T/3T SP TEB

Shoko Ishikawa - 3T/3T< SP NHK, 3T/3T LP NHK

Yretha Silete - 3T/3T SP TEB

I know #4 is your major sore point but you've spoken plenty on that so no request for further clarification from me. :)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I started watching ice dance after I became a member here cause people convinced me with their way to look at it. Before I was watching only the very top teams in the beginning of the 2000s. While I m still too lazy to read the rules so I can understand the discipline better -especially the lifts-I like to speculate because of repetition what the rules might be, but I wanted to say that I would never want such a discipline to disappear, watching their feet is really very imrepssive for me, and Nadine I invite you to watch live, the original dance at Euros 2010 is still a very memorable competition for me :hb:

Happy New Year to all.:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I enjoyed Ice Dance for its entertainment value before going to nationals in 2005. Watching live - especially the compulsaries (their figures if you will) - made all the difference in the world... loved me some TanBen and MelDen! :love:

Macassar88

Medalist
Liza to learn better spin positions
Bobrova and Soloviev to take out that god-awful lift from their short and free dance
Bobrova and Soloviev to redo their footwork sequences in the free dance so that the steps actually correspond to what is happening rhythmically and melodically in the music
Virtue and Moir win Worlds
Weaver and Poje medal at worlds
Mao wins worlds
Savchenko and Szolkowy win worlds setting another world record in the process
Savchenko and Szolkowy ditch their current short program
Bazarova and Larionov medal at worlds with two clean skates
Takahashi to win worlds
Patrick Chan to fall on every element so that his PC's can't keep boosting him up :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think wishing a skater to fall is not a very healthy attitude fan - wise, these are ahletes, not our puppets, neither it increases the quality of the sport we are supposed to love watching them fall.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think wishing a skater to fall is not a very healthy attitude fan - wise, these are ahletes, not our puppets, neither it increases the quality of the sport we are supposed to love watching them fall.

Well, if wishes were horses. Maybe if millions were wishing this we would see the power of collective thought, but seldom do anyones wishes actually influence another's reality unless action is taken. So don't worry for Chan, the poster was only kidding by the laughing face. People would like to see PCS scores more reflective of the actual skate that day. I wish for total objectivity and fairness and the end of "reputation or years in the sport" grading.

If wishes were horses!:cool: