Plushenko and Europeans | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko and Europeans

bestskate8

On the Ice
Fernandez does two quads: a 4T and a 4S, as well as two 3As, a 3z, and two 3Fs. His TES at the GPF beats Plushenko's TES at Russian Nationals: 84.89 to 77.77. And I doubt Plushy is going to get all 9s in PCS as he did at home.

Plushenko lost 10 or 12 points on two lutzes in LP at RN, so if he skates clean and adds transitions as he did in some recent galas, it will be hard to beat. If Gachinski funally will land all his jumps, he will be up there fighting for gold, because his transformation this season just amaizing, thanks to Lambiel and another new choreographer, it is visible and well appreciated.
Many years Plushenko's injuries kept him from reaching his full potential, and it is very dissaponting. Now he needs to stay healthy to show more.
If he skates at Euros, it will be great opportunity for everybody in Europe to see what he is really up to.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Announcement of ISU

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=990

Evgeny Plushenko to compete at ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2012
03 January 2012
The ISU received a specific request from the Figure Skating Federation of Russia pointing out that the skater Evgeny Plushenko was unable, for different reasons, to obtain the required minimum score in an International Competition during the ongoing and past season. Based on this request and also noting that Evgeny Plushenko has recently returned to competitive skating by winning the Russian National Championships at the end of December 2011, the ISU Council exceptionally agreed to accept the entry of Evgeny Plushenko into the ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2012 in Sheffield/Great Britain. This exceptional decision is valid for the ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2012 only.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko lost 10 or 12 points on two lutzes in LP at RN, so if he skates clean and adds transitions as he did in some recent galas, it will be hard to beat. If Gachinski funally will land all his jumps, he will be up there fighting for gold, because his transformation this season just amaizing, thanks to Lambiel and another new choreographer, it is visible and well appreciated.
Many years Plushenko's injuries kept him from reaching his full potential, and it is very dissaponting. Now he needs to stay healthy to show more.
If he skates at Euros, it will be great opportunity for everybody in Europe to see what he is really up to.

Plushenko also did two double jumps that were thrown out because of a step out of the first jump so if he hits that that is more points plus the GOE points.

In a few weeks at Euros should be a good show!!

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
No offence to Plushenko, but I find the "exceptional decision" by the ISU to allow him to complete plain ridiculous!! If rules don't apply to one skater, then they shouldn't apply to anyone else either!

^ I kind of go back and forth on that. Rules are rules but...

Some rules go like this: "In order to accomplish x, the rule from now on is y."

The ISU's position seems to be that the rule should be read: "In order to weed out weak skaters, the rule is you have to have a certain minimum score. Plushenko is not a weak skater, so therefore..."( OK, it is finishing that sentence that makes it awkward. :laugh: )

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't like the rule, but if you have the rule you should enforce it. Or at least clearly define exceptions beforehand so it doesn't look like the organization is favoring one particular skater.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
^ I kind of go back and forth on that. Rules are rules but...

Some rules go like this: "In order to accomplish x, the rule from now on is y."

The ISU's position seems to be that the rule should be read: "In order to weed out weak skaters, the rule is you have to have a certain minimum score. Plushenko is not a weak skater, so therefore..."( OK, it is finishing that sentence that makes it awkward. :laugh: )

I tend to agree. However, it's the lack of foresight that's galling here.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Mr Mathman I m also undecided between making exceptions -which honestly I believe dont make an athlete look good in long term -and a rule that was made to exclude a weak score athelte and didnt forsee such situations, I was reading there was a b event some 2 weeks before RN, but I m not sure even if such small event doesnt mean some sort of different preparation and break from the original program, loss of training time plus a trip and a competition that Plush's team wanted to avoid since as they reported he had entered a rehab schedule since summer. I m pretty sure he didnt need a quad and he would get the minimum to that small competition even competing with one foot but still a competition means 3 days to Instabul or i a week lost from original training agenda that probably he could not afford it plus he is old, isnt he?:biggrin:
Anyway when i was arranging to go to Euros i never thought Plush would compete in 2012 Euros so I concider it my Santa Claus unexpected gift:hb:because I was good all year:)
So of course selfishly, I dont bother that much for rules breaking!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the videos!

The SP in this video I can watch over & over again, it's almost on par with this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNc278W45ck (in terms of music).

A couple of things that stood out to me:

a.) his broken leg spin (Keegan Messing's is still my favorite, but Evgeni comes darn near close)
b.) the blinding fast scratch spin with arms overhead at the end, gorgeous!
c.) the height & depth he gets on those flying beautiful butterfly/scissor jumps
d.) his magnetism/charisma, nobody does it better

Can't wait till Euros, what a showdown it's going to be! Already Zhenya holds the record in 3rd place with Willy Bockl of Austria with regard to number of European Titles won with 6, Karl Schafer of Austria in second with 8, and Ulrich Salchow of Sweden in first place with 9. Lets see if he can make history again. :cool: Either way what a pleasure it will be to see him on the amateur international stage once again.

ciocio

On the Ice
Already Zhenya holds the record in 3rd place with Willy Bockl of Austria with regard to number of European Titles won with 6, Karl Schafer of Austria in second with 8, and Ulrich Salchow of Sweden in first place with 9. Lets see if he can make history again. Either way what a pleasure it will be to see him on the amateur international stage once again.

OMG!!! :eek: Nadine, you´re right about the record, Evgeni can make history at Euros, go, go, Plushy!!!!! :yay::thumbsup: Plushy needs his 7th european title!!!:love:
I would like Fernandez to win too :scratch:, but even if he wins a silver medal it will be an historical achievement for Spain.

katia

On the Ice
I think you are dreaming. I've watched Russian Nationals on TV and I doubt that Plushchenko will win the Europeans. He is slow compared to others and even at Russian Nationals he should have been second not first. He was first simply because he is a legend IMHO.

ciocio

On the Ice
I think you are dreaming. I've watched Russian Nationals on TV and I doubt that Plushchenko will win the Europeans. He is slow compared to others and even at Russian Nationals he should have been second not first. He was first simply because he is a legend IMHO.

I like to dream! This summer I´ve dremt he would compete at Russian Nationals and my dream came true. :love:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

You don´t think that international judges see him as a legend as well? I´m afraid that he´ll have high PCS scores even in those areas (= e.g. transitions, choreography) he does not deserve them. It happened in 2010 and it will happen in 2012 Europeans, unfortunately. It would be a HUGE surprise if he would get the scores based on his performances only.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushenko IS a legend. Over the past 15 years he has won an Olympic championship and two Olympic silvers, 3 World Championships, 6 Euros championships, 4 GPF championships, 18 GP event championships, 9 Russian championships, a Goodwill Games championship and a World Junior Championship.

seniorita

Record Breaker
You don´t think that international judges see him as a legend as well? I´m afraid that he´ll have high PCS scores even in those areas (= e.g. transitions, choreography) he does not deserve them. It happened in 2010 and it will happen in 2012 Europeans, unfortunately. It would be a HUGE surprise if he would get the scores based on his performances only.

We have a saying in greece, let people boil in their water.
I m undustin my banner anyway:points:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Plushenko IS a legend. Over the past 15 years he has won an Olympic championship and two Olympic silvers, 3 World Championships, 6 Euros championships, 4 GPF championships, 18 GP event championships, 9 Russian championships, a Goodwill Games championship and a World Junior Championship.

Wow, Chuck, the only skater to compete is a female named Kwan. And Evgeni is going for glory. He must be God over in Russia. Amazing. 18 GP events over the years. Imagine his Trophy room. Wow.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I like to dream! This summer I´ve dremt he would compete at Russian Nationals and my dream came true. :love:

I've been thinking about this since you posted about it, ciocio, that is your "dream". Dreams can be portents of what is to come, or what has come, I say this with total conviction and belief. They are as real as you & me. Mystics, soothsayers, psychics, they've all had them. Every body is capable of it, it just depends on how intuitive a person is, how much in touch they are with their sixth sense. Jmho.

Anyhow, I take your dream seriously, just as I do my own. :) And on that score, I too had a dream about Zhenya (& Mishin) not long after New Year's. Which surprised me, I don't dream about skating, only very very rarely, and only once about Evgeni. Anyhow, I was in a room (arena perhaps?) with many many people about, they were all either sitting on the stands, or else standing (like me because we couldn't get a seat, lol). And I know on stage was Evgeni, though I only got a glimpse or two, versus a combatant. Then right by me waltzed Mishin, hurrying forward and carrying something in his hands. I won't say what because I just won't say, lol. Anyhow, he was carrying this small object and rushing, then I woke up with a small on my smile. :)

Let's hope it is a good sign of things to come in the future...

CHEERS! *raises a glass of hot cocoa* :)^D

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least Plushenko can land a quad and two 3As in a FS and stay on his feet the whole time. We haven't seen much of that lately! ;)