Zhangs haunted by injuries ahead of Chinese National Winter Games | Golden Skate

Zhangs haunted by injuries ahead of Chinese National Winter Games

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I read that Dan Zhang is now 5'7"! That is quite tall even for a female singles skater, and practically unheard of for a pairs skater. Most female pairs skaters in the modern era are in a very narrow height range, from 4'10" to 5'3". There is the occasional exception--Qing Pang is 5'4" and Tatiana Totmianina was 5'5". But most are shorter. So with Dan now standing 5'7", that is extremely tall for pairs skating. One has to wonder how much longer she and Hao will continue.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful height for a person who isn't in skating, but I can see the difficulties for a modern pairs skater, especially for one of the Harbin skaters, whose daring lifts and throws are such a specialty. Though Hao Zhang seems unusually muscular, it must be incredibly wearing on his body.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm so sorry to read this....I was so happy to see them back and looking great; I quite like their programs this year too. Here is hoping for the best and wishing them well!

russell30

Final Flight
Yes I agree Zhang's programs suit them, Lori Nichol did a good job here! but Lori does have a tendency to recycle old programs.

I wish them well, hope they can get through the year.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A little OT but I want to show what Harbin is famous for, besides Olympian Pairs skaters:

Harbin Ice Festical

It's a city of winter and home of virtually all the great Chinese skaters. The sport of figure skating would be practically unknown in China without Harbin.

I wish rhe Zhangs the best. They have already shown the world what grits and courage are about and they will again pull out whatever it takes to overcome the new difficulties.

Last edited: