USFSA Hall of Fame. | Golden Skate

USFSA Hall of Fame.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, so here I am looking at my new "Skating" Magazine article on the USFSA hall of fame. Page 9. They list all the hall of famers from 1976 to 2012. Some years have one person. Some years have 7 people (1997). Some years have more. Now I aint sayin' Skippy Baxter, for instance, shouldnt be in the hall of fame. But if he is, then why wasn't Rudy elected to go in with Michelle? :confused:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Didn't they say something about it having to do with $$?

Maybe because it's the Kween they want all the focus on her, like their coverage of figure skating during her reign... all about Michelle... with a footnote to all those other guys.

I can't see why that would be true, but I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the skating world. How would it detract from Michelle's luster to have Rudy there the same year? I'd love to celebrate them both at once. But if we turn it around, Toni, maybe it would be a disadvantage to Rudy to be inducted the same year as Michelle, because he'd be overshadowed? It wouldn't be Michelle's fault; she's just very popular, and he's probably got a smaller base of really intense fans. Anyone have any information on this?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I just don't see Rudy at anywhere near Kwan's level of fame and impact. Kwan is rightfully occupying a year alone.:biggrin: No one could steal or share her thunder.:laugh:

jcoates

Medalist
As far as I know, people are not inducted into the hall o fame on a comparative basis. Rudy had a fine career winning three US titles (2 pairs, 1 singles), a world junior championship in both singles and pairs, a world bronze medal in singles and two top five pairs finishes against all time great teams (particularly 1990 when the teams that beat them have a combined 7 Olympic medals and 7 world titles). He's done more than enough to qualify for induction. Rudy's win as 1996 nationals remains one of the greatest moments in US figure skating history, as moving and powerful as any of Kwan's championship moments. That he managed to do it on home ice with all the attendant emotional pressure and the personal tragedies he had faced until then makes his accomplishment all the sweeter. It would have been perfect symmetry for him to be inducted at home along with Kwan. They did win their first national singles titles together in 1996 after all.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I agree that Rudy has a fine record but from what I have read on other boards is that an inductee must get 51% of the vote and Rudy did not. Maybe someone with knowledge of the voting procedure could chime in.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I like what jcoates said, but demarinis5 is right. We really need to know more about the procedure. Since in some years, there are seven or more inductees, then the voting and 51 percent rule could only mean that one could vote for Michelle and Rudy too. Perhaps the rules have been changed. I will use my usual spies deep within the bowels of the USFSA to try and find the answer and let you know.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I do believe Rudy will be inducted; this just isn't his year. Yes, it'd be nice to have it done in his hometown where he won his first championship, but sometimes things don't work out that way.

If he were inducted alongside Michelle it'd be a bit of a slap to him, simply b/c all of the focus and attention would be on Michelle, and rightfully so. She's a legend in the sport, which is why the USFSA made the right decision to give her a night all to herself. There is no one who can stand next to Michelle Kwan and not have their accomplishments look dwarfed by comparison. Rudy accomplished quite a bit, but it still isn't even a blip on the radar next to what Michelle did.

For that reason, I think it's best that the sole inductee is Michelle. I'm sure Rudy will get his time. I watched his 1996 LP just yesterday and he was wonderful!

But sorry...nobody got nothin' on Michelle Kwan! :D

To Coyote Chris' new avatar a big :agree: :laugh:

Contributions to figure skating can mean a lot more than just how many medals a person won in competition. Rudy Galindo also had one of the most successful professional careers ever, anchoring Champions on Ice for a decade. Plus he was the first prominent skater to bring the discussion of gay issues into the light of day.

(Not to mention, YMCA deserves the hall of fame all by itself. :) )

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh Yeah! I never get tired of YMCA!!!!!!

Here is what my deeply planted spies in the USFSA have told me....

"Hi Chris,
Entry into the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame requires 51% of the 85 electors to vote for a person. In this case, only Michelle Kwan receive more than the 43 votes required to be elected.
As to why some years two or 12 were elected is a matter of the strength of the ballot and the decision of the voters.
Rudy, by the way, is automatically eligible next year."

OK, here is my plan. All of us sit in the same section (section 3) at Nationals and wear Orange t-shirts with a big "Section 3" on them. Then we start chanting "Rooodddeeeee Roooodddeeee Roooddddeeee every time
Rusty Cap starts broadcasting from the stands during breaks. Then, we get Mathman to "program" the next year's voting counter. Or move the vote to Chicago so my dead grandmother can vote.

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for the info but I'm still confused; do all of the 80odd voters each vote yes or no for each of the nominees?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah, was just going to say it's probably to his benefit that he wasn't inducted with Kwan, and I'm sure you all (especially you Kwaniacs ;) ) know why.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
To Coyote Chris' new avatar a big :agree: :laugh:

Contributions to figure skating can mean a lot more than just how many medals a person won in competition. Rudy Galindo also had one of the most successful professional careers ever, anchoring Champions on Ice for a decade. Plus he was the first prominent skater to bring the discussion of gay issues into the light of day.

(Not to mention, YMCA deserves the hall of fame all by itself. :) )

amen. perfect post.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Apparently, all the members vote on all the nominees, is how I took it. Wouldnt you love to know the vote numbers? Hanging chads? I asked my spy to ask Michelle to drop by the FOFS breakfast for a few minutes and take the pressure off of Meryl and Charlie. She said she would but no promises....MK is a busy lady!!! Good article on Rudy in the Skating Magazine too.....I had forgotten what he has been through....like to have my pic taken with both of them!