Caroline Zhang | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang

kalle

On the Ice
I'm so happy that she's going to 4 Continents.

Also, I really loved her 3 loop 3 loop combo, and I hope she tries it again in Colorado.

Oh yes,such a fire cracker combo :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:
Do you have any idea how well she could score if no UR?

cornell08

Final Flight
Per twitter from an audience member in San Jose-- Caroline's exhibition is 'Defying Gravity' (from Wicked...not sure if its the broadway or Glee version)! How perfect for her journey. SO looking forward to seeing this, I can just imagine how wonderful it was.

Last edited:

czfan

Rinkside
^^ I could be wrong, but I think the base value of that 3-3 combo is a 10.20.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
Congratulations to Zhang. She lost about 10 lbs from when I saw her last August and really worked hard to correct her jumping technique.

krenseby

Final Flight
Caroline's performances at Nationals show that she is on the right track. However, what does she need to score even higher? What should she be working on to improve her scores? Should she focus on her stroking/edges/speed or perhaps work on her spins to get higher levels? Does she need to add new jumps to her arsenal such as the triple salchow? Should her new LP be choreographed differently to be more pleasing to the judges?

Of course, the other possibility is that she has reached her peak and no improvement is needed. But I doubt that many here would agree that she has reached perfection.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Caroline's performances at Nationals show that she is on the right track. However, what does she need to score even higher? What should she be working on to improve her scores? Should she focus on her stroking/edges/speed or perhaps work on her spins to get higher levels? Does she need to add new jumps to her arsenal such as the triple salchow? Should her new LP be choreographed differently to be more pleasing to the judges?

Of course, the other possibility is that she has reached her peak and no improvement is needed. But I doubt that many here would agree that she has reached perfection.

Her stroking/edges/speed are still very poor. It's very obvious in the LP. The choreography is almost non-existent. The scores at the Nationals were greatly inflated. She has a long way to go.

I would say, steady as she goes. More of the same. She now has a pretty good flip and loop. If she never improves the Lutz entry, well, at least she gets some points for it if she lands it. Flow out of the double Axel is half-way there, a big improvement. Skating skills, choreography -- each day a little more secure, that's the ticket. :yes: :clap:

fscric

On the Ice
Her stroking/edges/speed are still very poor. It's very obvious in the LP. The choreography is almost non-existent. The scores at the Nationals were greatly inflated. She has a long way to go.

All scores are inflated, she did win the third place there.

krenseby

Final Flight

I agree with you that it's very obvious in the LP, despite the noticeable improvement compared to before. Interestingly enough, why did the stroking/edges/speed look a lot better in the SP than in the LP? Is it an issue of stamina because the LP is longer or is it rather she is reverting to old technique under pressure?

As for choreography, I am curious to see whether her team will push her towards something more intricate and nuanced in next year's LP.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I agree with you that it's very obvious in the LP, despite the noticeable improvement compared to before. Interestingly enough, why did the stroking/edges/speed look a lot better in the SP than in the LP? Is it an issue of stamina because the LP is longer or is it rather she is reverting to old technique under pressure?

As for choreography, I am curious to see whether her team will push her towards something more intricate and nuanced in next year's LP.

No I don't think it was a stamina issue or that she is reverting back to her old technique, she did not look exhausted to me at the end of her LP. I think her team's goal this season was for her to concentrate on landing the jumps that she worked so hard to correct and she succeeded in doing that. I am sure we will see more improvement in Caroline's skating come next season.

It is a process, step by step. I admire her for her perseverance and kudos to her coaches Karen and Peter.

heyang

Record Breaker
No I don't think it was a stamina issue or that she is reverting back to her old technique, she did not look exhausted to me at the end of her LP. I think her team's goal this season was for her to concentrate on landing the jumps that she worked so hard to correct and she succeeded in doing that. I am sure we will see more improvement in Caroline's skating come next season.

It is a process, step by step. I admire her for her perseverance and kudos to her coaches Karen and Peter.

I totally agree with you. I think they want to build her up gradually and develop her talents so that the proper techniques override old habits. It definitely seemed that step 1 was to make her jumps secure. Her spins are already gorgeous - at least from the ankle up, someone else will have to comment about the blade. I also think they just wanted to have 2 good skates where she wouldn't let any bobbles fluster her. I definitely believe this year's results should boost her confidence and I'm glad she's got her smile back.

I would expect next year to be about improving what she has and working on strokeing, speed and footwork into her choreography.

Serious Business

Record Breaker

She backed waaaay off the attack to ensure more consistency in her jumps. I think in the SP Caroline skated like she had nothing to lose. But once she got great scores there, then she took on a more defensive approach.

I don't know if I can get back on the Caroline bandwagon as a fan. Yes, she's greatly improved some important things, and will likely do better in competition. But she's lost a lot of her flexibility and spinning ability, which used to make up for her speed and edging issues for me. While her jumps are better, there are much better jumpers with better basic skating skills around. The only thing she has left as a standout, for me, is her ability to emote and project, and I only catch glimpses of that now.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
What's important now is that she stays on her upward trajectory. Whatever Karen and Peter are doing, it's working. Another thing I noticed is that they actually seem to care about Caroline.

She backed waaaay off the attack to ensure more consistency in her jumps. I think in the SP Caroline skated like she had nothing to lose. But once she got great scores there, then she took on a more defensive approach.

I don't know if I can get back on the Caroline bandwagon as a fan. Yes, she's greatly improved some important things, and will likely do better in competition. But she's lost a lot of her flexibility and spinning ability, which used to make up for her speed and edging issues for me. While her jumps are better, there are much better jumpers with better basic skating skills around. The only thing she has left as a standout, for me, is her ability to emote and project, and I only catch glimpses of that now.

Might it be possible that Caroline concentrated on reworking her jumps and thus put the other elements aside for awhile? If that's the case, surely she will now focus on the spins and so forth to bring them up to par. You could be right about her, of course, but I think Caroline has proved that she can repair things to a remarkable degree. As for flexibility, that pearl spin of hers looked pretty flexible to me.

krenseby

Final Flight

I am glad you noticed that about the LP too. She was really much more cautious and less attentive to speed I suppose. She wasn't the only one either - a lot of the ladies in the top flight were cautious during the LP, except for Rachael and Ashley of course. (Oh, I know this is not her thread, but I loved Rachael's LP performance, especially during the footwork sequence at the end. That must have been a real treat for the audience. I would have loved to be there to watch it.)

But back to Caroline. Well, the thing is, once you don't have to worry about jumps so much, you can devote more time to maximizing points on your spins, trying to tell a story with the choreography and emoting. That said, I am still surprised by how she doesn't get good levels on spins. She seems to rush through them, except for the final layback spin at the end. And yet why not get extra points where you can? Spins really do a lot for Alissa, they are huge point-getters for her. Whatever problems she had with her jumps, Alissa never ever backed off her spins. Since Caroline lost weight, that should help her flexibility, so I hope her spins benefit from it.

(Another thing I've been thinking of - it's so sad that Rachael can't do more with spins, those are quite a few missed points for her as well.)

Andalusia

Final Flight
Caroline lost some valuable points in both the SP and LP by not maximizing the levels on her spins - she would easily have won the bronze if she had. Her footwork was also graded at a Level 2 in the LP. All these are easily correctable issues (at least relative to her jumping problems) that she had better fix and not fail at again since she needs every point she can get as she won't be gifted in PCS and GOE scores.

And yes, I do think she was much slower in the LP as compared to the SP. If you watch the NBC broadcast of her SP, she actually goes very fast into the 3-3 which is perhaps why it looked so good. I think she's slower in the LP because that way it's easier to land the jumps, and really, right now she needs to be consistent in the LP. No point going faster and adding transitions if you're going to splat all over the place...yes, she needs to improve in those areas and land the jumps if she ever wants to get the big scores, and hopefully those will come with time.

tampro1

Rinkside

What does that say about all the skaters that placed behind her? lol She's much improved. No one is saying she's going to be World Champ just yet. Most people are just happy she has worked hard, didn't give up and improved. Well done Caroline!

cornell08

Final Flight
i liked her short, especially with the spread eagle. and i love the musical cut of her long. what did you find objectionable--could you elaborate?

The programs were not memorable at all. Its not enough for certain parts of a program to be likeable. In order to reach the next level, presumably worlds team, she needs to have two entire programs be thrilling and engaging for the audience-- on the level of Mirai's Olympic season programs.