Laura Lepisto status | Golden Skate

Laura Lepisto status

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
what happened to her injury updates ?
Laura doesn't have the full difficult technical content in her skating but I have a soft spot for her
and I enjoy her skating

she didn't had her peak yet
and it's always sad to see someone retiring prematurely due to an injury :no:

brightphoton

Medalist
Laura is one of my favorites. It's too bad the sudden injuries took her out of the competition, but at least she became a world medalist before retiring.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

she retired ?? :eek:

I know her comeback didn't go quite well this season
but I though she was still aiming for a comeback
if that is true. shame, they have to contend now with Korpii as the best Finn skater

periperi

On the Ice
I haven't heard anything of Laura retiring... The last that I've heard was Laura saying she feels she can recover from her injury and make a comeback. Man, I hope this is the case and I wish her luck.

russell30

Final Flight
I haven't heard anything of Laura retiring... The last that I've heard was Laura saying she feels she can recover from her injury and make a comeback. Man, I hope this is the case and I wish her luck.

NO Laura has not retired, due to injury she has decided to abort this season too, she made this statement the end of last year, after a training session. Laura is doing the right thing, to heal her body, she knows it's frustrating and emotional but hopes to be back soon.

Kati

On the Ice
There was an article of her yesterday in Finnish newspaper. She told she will do some show skating this spring, her debut will be in North Korea (!) She's hoping to come back next season, it all depends on her condition. Next summer will be crucial.. Fingers crossed for her!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course Laura plans on coming back. But Laura will be 24 in April. That is not old, but for a figure skater hoping for a comeback, it is not young, either. Laura probably is not trying the lutz at this point, and it will be hard if not impossible for her to get it back. She cannot hope to place well with only toe, salchow and loop and she will have the young Russians and their 3/3s to contend with.

BTW, why on earth would she elect to do show skating in North Korea? Doesn't she know it is one of the most repressive (and poorest) regimes in the world?

Brett

Spectator
I sure hope she comes back next year! Her skating is so beautiful! She has the best 3T-3T! Laura!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Of course Laura plans on coming back. But Laura will be 24 in April. That is not old, but for a figure skater hoping for a comeback, it is not young, either. Laura probably is not trying the lutz at this point, and it will be hard if not impossible for her to get it back. She cannot hope to place well with only toe, salchow and loop and she will have the young Russians and their 3/3s to contend with.

BTW, why on earth would she elect to do show skating in North Korea? Doesn't she know it is one of the most repressive (and poorest) regimes in the world?

well Laura may not have the most technical content but I would still love her to comeback , she can still try new things
like upgrade her Flip combos, she can ditch her lutz even though she will have stiff competition from the teens/newcomers

as far as I know, wasn't there a link here that
had videos of Kim Jung il when he was alive that he adores figure skating and there have been
many international skaters believe it or not that have skated in North Korea, there was even a video clip
of Kavaguti/Smirnov, LOL

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know other figure skaters have gone to North Korea. But IMO it is nothing to be proud of. I cannot imagine going to a country where people are enslaved and starving to perform for a megalomaniac dictator.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

thank you !

so is this the first time Zhenya will tour in North Korea ?
hopefully Laura's practice this summer will go well, so if not, what does start to think of other things ? meaning ?? :no:

brightphoton

Medalist
Ugh, seriously? I know we don't expect skaters to have any idea about human rights issues and international relations (I guess they're way too busy skating to even read newspaper headlines ... or read) but it's still a face palm when they do stupid stuff like this.

claphappy

On the Ice
I thought we already went through the whole North Korea thing with the Tomas debacle last year.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Was last year's ice show broadcast on the North Korean national TV for public viewing? It would be a good cause in my mind if the general public get to watch the show. Indeed, they are enslaved and physically starved. So why do we even want to starve them spiritually as well? To deprive them of all forms of pleasure is an even worse human rights violation than what the dictator has done to them. However, if the ice show was exclusive for only a selected few, then shame on those skaters that had taken part in it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How many starving people in North Korea even HAVE TV sets? I am sure that only the privileged few got to see this show.

brightphoton

Medalist
To deprive them of all forms of pleasure is an even worse human rights violation than what the dictator has done to them.

Haha.

oh wait you're serious.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAA.

That is the most monumentally stupid thing I've read today, and today I've read some very silly things.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Is Kim Jong-un as big an ice skating fan as Kim Jong Il? Apparently, if there are 3 performances planned in North Korea.

L

lowtherlore

A fan of figure skating or not, he would want to show his people and the world that everything is back to normal. And, AFAIK Finland has maintained friendly diplomatic relations with N Korea for a long time. If Laura gets to skate there, I hope she enjoy the (rare) experience, if possible at all.

Laura is one of my favorites and I hope she wins the battle with her unusual injury and return to the ice soon.