Johnny Weir announces return; eyes on Sochi | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir announces return; eyes on Sochi

Nadine

Record Breaker
I read this most surprising (& pleasing) news late last night but was too tired to post a response until today. :)

First off it shocked me to the point that my attention was diverted from royalty news to skating news, lol. :D And honestly though I thought there was a 50/50 chance of Johnny returning I never really thought he would. *shock* (8^O

With Zhenya, it was a given he would come back, he does what he says, and he has always said he would return for Sochi. But Johnny has always been ambivalent about his return, thus I never really took it seriously, rather just playing the game. By the way, for the record, I still have no doubt that Evan Lysacek will return, because he too does what he says, he's a very hard worker (to the point of OCD imho) so I know he will return full throttle.

Back to Johnny, it takes a lot of guts in a man of his position to return because I doubt the USFSA will welcome him with open arms, especially after his book came out. For this, I take my hat off to him. He's going to have a very very tough time imho, the toughest out of anybody returning, especially when it comes to the men. And for what? He finished 6th at the last Olympics and is a one-time World Bronze Medalist. His record doesn't come close to the other two men returning. This is why he has my utmost respect & admiration; his odds of succeeding are the lowest, but yet he does it. :bow:

Okay, now as to predictions, anything is possible (true; Rudy Galindo proved that in 1996!). But realistically I'd give Evan the edge when it comes to securing that 3rd spot for the next Olympics, assuming of course that we have 3 spots! (8^O Whereas I see Johnny finishing a respectable 4th place like Sasha did in 2010 (btw he's very very lucky he made the Team at all in 2010, literally by the skin of his teeth). As to the top 2, Abbott gets my vote *if* he can somehow magically finally win a World Medal of any color between now & 2014 (best chance is this year imho). And I'm going against the grain and say that somebody like Max Aaron is going to blow everyone away with his quads & powerful skating (was hoping it would be Keegan Messing, but he hasn't been getting the job done). Max Aaron gets my vote. :cool:

Anyhow, BRAVO TO JOHNNY ON RETURNING TO AMATEUR COMPETITION!!!! :love:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
so if this is true

will Sochi be the year for the return of the Veterans ???

with Zhenya and Jhonny
are we looking for Brian Joubert, Kim Yuna and Joannie Rochetter competing again ? :)

I dont think Stephane is returning
in his recent interview in 2012 innsbruck. he said he had no regrets about retiring and is enjoying
doing performances and exhibition Galas for different countries

Last edited:

ciocio

On the Ice
so if this is true

will Sochi be the year for the return of the Veterans ???

with Zhenya and Jhonny
are we looking for Brian Joubert, Kim Yuna and Joannie Rochetter competing again ? :)

I hope so, I :love: Yuna and Joannie. Joubert is still competing. :biggrin: