Senior ladies competition | Golden Skate

Senior ladies competition

mmcdermott

On the Ice
I hope it's okay if I post a new thread for this ??

That was an interesting Ladies short! Lots of mistakes, but what else is new with the Candian ladies :unsure:. I appreciated the variety of music styles and performances from the top group. No ice princesses here! Katelyn Osmond was such a stand-out. Imagine, a clean triple-triple! Wow! I hope she can do as well in the long.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Cynthia in fourth and Katelyn Osmond leading? I don't even remember seeing Osmond before in my life! I can't see Cynthia not on the podium though, she'll have to bring it in the free.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I hope that Katelyn Osmond will win tomorow, we need her talent for regain the two spots next year at the world championships :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
ladies short program results http://thewrongedgefigureskatingblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/canadian-championships-ladies-short.html doesn't seem that Cynthia has regained confidence or form...Hope the best for her in the free

Cynthia lost big on falling on the first jump of the combo. And a hand down on 3Lz. Other than that, she skated beautifully, a league above the others. Good choreography and great presentation, with a regal maturity. Katelyn is exciting and she has no nerves, boding really well for the future of Canadian Ladies. But for now, I think if Cynthia can calm down she can skate like one of the best in the world. I really like what I saw of Cynthia today. I feel it's more of an adrenalin rather than confidence issue. However, it will be tough for her tomorrow since there's only one spot for Worlds.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Poor Amelie Lacoste had to deal with a loud, ongoing fire alarm sounding off as she was warming up to start her short program. :disapp:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I have a feeling Lacoste is going to win the title. I don't see Cynthia coming from that far back, but maybe she'll prove me wrong.

lise

On the Ice
just saw the recaps from yesterday. Disappointing all around; reminds me of Nationals late nineties.

Osmond is a delight but she needs Jr Worlds. Cynthia is not completely out; she's only 7 points behind, but her experience and since she has the highest PCS scores, I can see her make 1 mistake and still win it. i don't Amelie winning it at all.

Honestly, I try to support all the skaters, i mean no disrespect; but we desperately need Joannie back. I hope Skate Canada is talking to her about coming back next season.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cynthia is not completely out; she's only 7 points behind, but her experience and since she has the highest PCS scores, I can see her make 1 mistake and still win it.

I hope Skate Canada makes Cynthia fight for her title and doesn't just hand it to her. They owe her nothing at this point given that her poor showing at Worlds cost them a spot and her GP showings were a complete disaster. She needs to prove her worth just like every other lady here. If she wins, I hope it is truly justified.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rank Competitor(s) Section SP FP Points
1 Amelie Lacoste QC 52.43 107.08 159.51
2 Cynthia Phaneuf QC 49.66 108.28 157.94
3 Kaetlyn Osmond AB/NT/NU 56.94 98.53 155.47
4 Alexandra Najarro CO 52.34 99.22 151.56
5 Adriana DeSanctis CO 46.05 96.61 142.66
6 Kate Charbonneau MB 45.54 96.52 142.06
7 Vanessa Grenier QC 47.49 88.56 136.05
8 Roxanne Rheault QC 47.58 84.63 132.21
9 Alaine Chartrand EO 39.45 89.32 128.77
10 Alexandra Gagnon QC 41.46 83.24 124.70
11 Sarah Jourdain QC 43.45 80.32 123.77
12 Kaleigh Hole MB 37.50 80.85 118.35
13 Devon Neuls AB/NT/NU 42.74 67.05 109.79
14 Christina Yan CO 42.46 66.73 109.19
15 Rachel Gendron QC 40.73 68.27 109.00
16 Cambria Little BC/YT 39.62 68.77 108.39
17 Alexie Gélinas QC 39.34 66.26 105.60
18 Izabel Valiquette QC 39.35 62.34 101.69

Amelie Lacoste's dream goal for this season came true - she is finally the Canadian champion and has punched her ticket as Canada's sole entry for the ladies to the World Championships in March! :)

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I'm glad Amelie won; I just wish she'd done it with a lutz and/or a flip. Oh well. She really does have gorgeous jumps when she lands them.

It may be that I had low expectations, but this event was better than I thought it would be. There were some solid triple lutzes and triple flips from some of the younger and/or lower-ranked skaters, and of course the surprise of Katelyn Osmond and the improvement she's made. I also liked Alexandra Najarro's style and elegance in her long program.

Anyone know how they're planning to select the world team? Lacoste and Phaneuf were quite close; I'd personally like to see them face off at 4CC to determine the world team spot.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Is that in doubt?

As for LaCoste, basically one spot means that she needs top ten to get back the second spot. She's got three Russian girls, two American, three Japanese, one Finn, and one Italian looking at the top ten. Not to mention some interesting contenders from everywhere else.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Protocols:

SP

FP

I actually became a true fan of Cynthia in this competition. I find her skating probably the most elegant in the world today, something Amelie lacks. I hope Cynthia comes back strong next season under Orser till Sochi and then the sprightly Katelyn can take over.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Do you suppose Osmond will be sent to both 4CC and Junior Worlds? The comps are three weeks apart. She looks like the real deal; I'd like to see her get some senior international experience sooner rather than later.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Bit of a surprise that Phaneuf did not win this competition...anyway, she appears to be frustrated about it as she clearly made her disappointment known on Twitter. She'll certainly be fired up for 4CCs.

Good for Lacoste, I was kinda hoping she'd pull it off anyway.

Last edited:

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I am disappointed :(
In my opinion, I think that Cynthia Phaneuf should have finished first and Kaetlyn Osmond should have finish second and Amelie Lacoste Third.

Amelie Lacoste don't have the technical jump content to secure the two spots for the Canadian. Without a triple flip and a triple lutz, I'm worried. I hope Lacoste will prove me that I'm wrong and will show these jumps at world.