Predictions | Golden Skate

Predictions

Eszterbeszti

Rinkside
Well, the most interesting competition will be the men’s one. I guess Plushenko will win, as it happened in 2010. I think Brian is the only one who can get close (I mean 1 point closer) to the Russian, but as he was injured and hasn’t competed so far, so he hasn’t got good chances. “The Youngers” I mean, Amodio, Brezina, Fernandez and Gachinski are close to each other, but are far at least 6 points away, from Plushenko. So I guess a second place to Fernandez, who did very well during the season, I hope he won’t be too nervous and will do his quads. Of course he needs to improve in transitions, but except for this he is totally prepared technically. 3rd place? Maybe Gachinski, who did well at Nationals, but in the Grand Prix wasn’t on the list of the bests. Than Brezina for 4th place, he has good programs, but maybe nerves stop him as it happened last year. Than Joubert for 5th and Amodio 6th. For me Tomas Verner seems no to be in the best shape, van der Perren for 8th and Contesti 9th.

The pairs question is easy. 1st: Germans than, Tatiana and Maxim, and Yuko and Alexander. I think the new LP of the Germans is more creative than the Russians program. And I love as they go into the death spiral. Tatiana and Maxim do well together but they need a bit more time to have to compete with the German’s harmony.

The 1st place in Ladies competition is easy, Kostner, as always. OK, maybe she is the best in this competition, but will earn more points than she should. Than I hope Kiira Korpi will do well, but it would be more interesting with Adelina and Elizaveta.

Dance would be the other really interesting competition. We’ll see if the B/S with their dynamic new program can compete with the French’s excellent choreography. I hope P/B will defend their title, and retire at the end of the season as winners. The 3rd place is interesting again: we have to very young Russian pairs, the number one’s of Italy and a nearly French pair. I guess a third place to I/K as they have a brand new program that is very different from last year’s one, more dynamic with great twizzles. Than C/L, and R/T.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

Fernandez is clearly the frontrunner for mens but with that said
Zhenya first competed again at Nationals but was not in full shape but has been getting more preparations
and performing in countries ice shows and galas, that should help him, Brezina and Gachinski are too inconsistent
Joubert may finish a podium but he has passed his prime, I will rule out Amodio and wont be saved by Morozov this time though, :laugh:

in Pairs, Kavaguti/Smirnov are not competing , Smirnov had one of his appendices taken out and Aliona Savchenko injured her left leg
attempting again their 3A throws in practice but they may still compete

in Ladies, Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova are not eligible yet for Euros as they are too young, so they are NOT competing

with those updates said:

Men:

1 Javier Fernandez
2. Evegni Pluschenko
3. Michal Brezina

Ladies:

1. Kostner
2. Leonova
3. Korpii/Gedevanishvili

though Im hoping Korobeynikova finishes at the podium

Pairs

1. Volosozhar/Trankov
2. Bazarova/Larinov
3. Berton / Hotarek

ice dance

1 Pechalat / Bourzat
2 Bobrova / Soloviev
3 Cappellini / Lanotte or Ilnykh/Katsalapov

as much as I dislike, Bobrova/Soloviev, I don't see I/K getting it all together yet
to finish ahead of them though I would love for them to get a podium finish but they will have competition from the Italians

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Pairs S/S and V/T and B/L.

I think Fernandez is the one to beat if he skates like all season but i wish for a dinosaur podium of Kvdp , Plu and Jouby!

Dance: P/B, C/L and I/K.

Ladies Kostner and Leonova for sure, the third I don't know!

Btw Tatiana Flade tweeted tonight that aliona participation is not sure and that Plush left knee doesn't look great.

But a friend of mine wrote me: forget Fernandez, Chan will win euros as well!:)

Last edited:

Eszterbeszti

Rinkside
^

in Pairs, Kavaguti/Smirnov are not competing , Smirnov had one of his appendices taken out and Aliona Savchenko injured her left leg
attempting again their 3A throws in practice but they may still compete

in Ladies, Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova are not eligible yet for Euros as they are too young, so they are NOT competing

I didn't know that the Russians and the Germans are out, it came out last night no? I mean the withdrawal of S/S? So now I agree with you: V/T for first.

And for ladies I know that Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova are too young, I just would be interesting, what would happen, if they could compet...

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I hope Fernández will win gold too. A lot depends on how objective Pluschenko will be judged I guess. I would predict Fernández, Plushenko and Gachinski on the podium. I hope that Joubert could reach it though.

Predictions:

Men:

1. Pluschenko
2. Fernández
3. Gachinski

Hoping for Fernández to win.

Ladies:

1. Kostner
2. Leonova
3. Makarova

Pairs:

1. Volossozhar/Trankov
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Bazarova/Larinov

Hoping for the Germans to win though.

Ice dance:
there I agree with sky_fly20

1. Pechalat / Bourzat
2. Bobrova / Soloviev
3. Cappellini / Lanotte or Ilnykh / Kazalapov

Hoping for the Italians to medal.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I hope Fernández will win gold too. A lot depends on how objective Pluschenko will be judged I guess. I would predict Fernández, Plushenko and Gachinski on the podium. I hope that Joubert could reach it though.

Predictions:

Men:

1. Pluschenko
2. Fernández
3. Gachinski

Hoping for Fernández to win.
Javi was the only Euro skater who got over 157 (Plush's score in EC qualifications) in GP this season. All others were two Japanese (Takahashi and Hanyu) and one Chanadian. Fernandez has a chance of course if he skates clean and if Plush won't be able to skate better than in qualies (which I doubt, sure he will!). Will be a nice competition in Men's, so hard to predict. That's why I love it! And don't forget Brian! How can I not want to see him on the podium. ;)

Trewyn

Medalist
Pairs S/S and V/T and B/L.

I think Fernandez is the one to beat if he skates like all season but i wish for a dinosaur podium of Kvdp , Plu and Jouby!

I love you seniorita!!! :D I'm really rooting hard for Kevin vdP. It's his last competition ever. I know he's said it many times before, but I think he really means it this time. He was on FIRE at Belgian Nats in December hitting Quads, Triple Axels, triple-triple-triple... If he skates like that, I believe he's got an outside shot at the podium. I know Kevin considers the UK as sort of his 'home crowd', since he's married to Jenna and all :) But competition is really fierce this year, especially with Plushenko's sudden presence.

But yeah, I'd wholly approve of that 'dinasaur podium' even though I like Fernandez too.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
S/S out

ISU site list of entries now has S/S as a WD. Very sad for them but she needs to get that leg healthy again. So I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that V/T will waltz into the gold.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
ISU site list of entries now has S/S as a WD. Very sad for them but she needs to get that leg healthy again. So I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that V/T will waltz into the gold.

Sad news :( But I believe it's for the best. Health must come first. There was no point in risking further injury, especially since they are already 4 times European champions.
I'm gonna cheer for a russian sweep in pairs, just to remember good old times :) But of course I would be thrilled to see Stefania/Ondrej taking bronze

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Sad for Savchenko/Szolkowy's withdrawal...

My predictions:

Mens
1. Javier Fernandez
2. Evgeni Plushenko
3. Brian Joubert
4. Michal Brezina
5. Artur Gachinski

Ladies
1. Carolina Kostner
2. Alena Leonova
3. Kiira Korpi
4. Polina Korobeynikova
5. Elene Gedevanishvili

Pairs
1. Volosozhar/Trankov
2. Bazarova/Larinov
3. Berton/Hotarek
4. Stolbova/Klimov
5. Hausch/Wende

Ice Dance
1. Pechalat/Bourzat
2. Bobrova/Soloviev
3. Cappellini/Lanotte
4. Ilinykh/Katsalapov
5. Zhiganshina/Gazsi

alithia

Final Flight
Sad for Alyona but health comes first...Pairs will be less interesting tonight...

Pairs:

Volosozhar/Trankov
Bazarova/Larionov
Stolbova/Klimov but I like Berton/Hotarek too

Men:

Gatchinsky
Plushenko
Fernandez

Ladies:

Kostner
Leonova
and I want a surprise :)Helgesson maybe

Dance:

I would go for P/B and B/S for 1 and 2 but russian media and blogs won't let B/S stay number 1.There are rumours that I/K are the new russian number ones and I think if the international judges don't go with it there will be a media uproar :p
So I'm pretty confused.

Gold: Pechalat/Bourzat

I want Coomes/Buckland in the top 10 and the Azerbaidjani couple as well

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Ladies
These three on the podium if they nail their planned tricks:
Kostner
Leonova
V.Helgesson

Challengers: Gedevanishvili and Korobeynikova.

I don't see Glebova, Korpi, Marchei or Makarova on the podium. They look too unsure on their jumps.

The French girls? Well, not yet I think.

Joshi and Viktoria Helgesson have a fair chance to earn three spots for Sweden :cool:

GO Jenna!

Men
Fernandez
Joubert
Plushenko

Brezina, Gachinski and Verner as podium challengers. Amodio, no, not this season.

I am curious about Liebers.(back from injury) I like his style and programs a lot.

GO Kevin!

Pairs
Volosochar/Trankov of course. Hope they do two great performances.
Bazarova/Larionov
Berton/Hotarek

Surprise on the podium would be James/Cipres, Haush/Wende or Stolbova/Klimov… A Russian sweep maybe...

Good luck to the two British pairs on their home ground!

Dance
Pechalat/Bourzat
Ilinykh/Katsalapov
Bobrova/Soloviev

Cappelini/Lanotte as challengers.

Coomes/Buckland top ten :thumbsup:

Wishing all skaters good performances. Especially the Brits doing well on home turf :)

And get well soon Aliona! You will be missed :cry:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Get well soon Aliona, hope you get ready for Worlds

I would go for P/B and B/S for 1 and 2 but russian media and blogs won't let B/S stay number 1.There are rumours that I/K are the new russian number ones and I think if the international judges don't go with it there will be a media uproar :p
So I'm pretty confused.

really ? :laugh: :biggrin:
well hype around I/K is okay as long as they deliver their best performance
seems most dislike B/S, at least I too hope they leave Kustarova and find a new choreographer