Men - Free Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men - Free Program

SGrand

Final Flight
I just watched Chan's performance again on TV and am blown away even more. I think both the program AND Chan deserved that performance! He just seemed very relaxed, must have felt great to finally lay it down like that. To me he is so amazingly well-rounded as a skater/performer and his athleticism and stamina (and arm movements) are incredible. So happy for him!
And great to see Kevin skate so well and to have Jeremy back too, I agree, his reaction was priceless and really touching. Balde, I wish he could have medalled as well since he had the skate of his life, but he has time.
All in all, a great nationals (except for the women.....they left a little to be desired).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So, it's pretty much clear that Chan will step it up at Nationals. 2008 Nationals? Dethrones Buttle. 2009? Lands two triple axels in his free program. 2010? Comes back from injury to suggest that a medal at Worlds/Olympics is plausible. 2011? The most astonishing skate of his career.

I'm glad he skated clean - this program deserved as much. But I think he can bring an even greater commitment to the choreography and music then he did here. But his command of skate language is second to none. He's growing as a performer. I said "Je Suis Malade" unlocked Weaver/Poje. I think the same of "Aranjuez" for Chan. What a marvelous skater.

I always expect him to kick off the play off season with the Nationals. The supportive audience imparts energy and the program is seasoned at this point.

His focus this year is on the presentation side of the performance, looks like he's getting there, without sacrificing his technical difficulty, just as he didn't sacrifice footwork and transitions for quads. Once he has it, he doesn't give back but will only add to his arsenals.

So, I'm beyond impressed and my hat is off to him and may he celebrate with abandon. I am struck, though, that there are a few noticeable jump related points here and there. I can only explain my feeling in terms of another skater: I thought Yuna kim's olympic LP was so amazing, just amazing, yet, I fixated (for a few seconds) on her lack of toe point and leg turn out. It's like, when someone is just so utterly amazing you see "stuff" that in others you wouldn't even notice.

This is not a perfect skate by Patrick. His scores were helped by his thinking on his feet, adding a 3T to the 3F near the end of the program since he only did a 2T after the first quad. To have the presence of mind and the stamina to do that is amazing, yet so unnecessary during an in-the-zone performance when a skater is completely in the moment with nothing missed and nothing to be concerned about. That's when a perfect skate happens. I still have hope for such a performance yet from Patrick, preferably at Worlds. ;)

I was surprised to see Ten is third. A beautiful skater but he didn't perform as well as Balde. He had to fight through every jump. I did however really enjoy his gala performance. It was less "Joanne Mcleod-ish" and quite lovely.

Balde was a lot of fun to watch. The height and power he gets with his jumps is awesome. If he had more of Ten's in-betweens, he'd be rocking.

Balde outskated Ten in the Free but lagged in the Total Score. Jeremy did have jump issues but his skating skills are superior and his performance and interpretation are sophisticated and lyrical.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Hi, Kara Bear. Glad to see you back posting! :)

Hi Mathman! It's good to see familiar "faces" still around here. I don't have much time to follow skating anymore but I couldn't miss a skating viewing opportunity so close to where I am.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Now that Chan's 3A seems to be working for him, I wonder if he'd add back another 3A in the long next season. It's scary to think that despite his already amazing scores, there ARE still lots of rooms for him to improve even more. I see that he will add bits by bits each year toward Sochi. Maybe another 3A or new quad in 2013, then a three quads, two axel in the long by 2014? LOL

Becki

Medalist
Now that Chan's 3A seems to be working for him, I wonder if he'd add back another 3A in the long next season. It's scary to think that despite his already amazing scores, there ARE still lots of rooms for him to improve even more. I see that he will add bits by bits each year toward Sochi. Maybe another 3A or new quad in 2013, then a three quads, two axel in the long by 2014? LOL

*touch wood* i am afraid he might get injured if he does that... :/ i mean, plushenko/yagudin at their peak didn't even have 3 quads.

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
*touch wood* i am afraid he might get injured if he does that... :/ i mean, plushenko/yagudin at their peak didn't even have 3 quads.

Well, not to be contrary, but today Kevin Reynolds almost made history by doing 3 different quads in the long program,if I'm not mistaken. But he underrotated the loop, I believe. So its certainly doable.
Injuries are another matter. If skaters didn't take chances the sport would stagnate and there would be nothing to aim for at the top. But I see where you're coming from. Injuries are more likely for Reynolds and Chan, if he does it in the future.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
His technical ability is astonishing and he is improving as a performer. I don't yet see unbridled passion or a unique viewpoint in terms of expression, though, and there is still plenty to criticize about how the movements are designed to garner points rather than go to the music or form a complete whole.

But, my oh my. It's always great to see someone deliver the very best they can and Patrick is mind-boggling talented with his blade control.

Becki

Medalist
Well, not to be contrary, but today Kevin Reynolds almost made history by doing 3 different quads in the long program,if I'm not mistaken. But he underrotated the loop, I believe. So its certainly doable.
Injuries are another matter. If skaters didn't take chances the sport would stagnate and there would be nothing to aim for at the top. But I see where you're coming from. Injuries are more likely for Reynolds and Chan, if he does it in the future.

Yeah I noticed Kevin attempted three quads...but to do it on a regular basis, it might be a bit too much for your body. It's great to see a program with 3 quads and two triple axels tho :p

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Easy, easy! Patrick is a human too.:biggrin:

Wow! Who said Patrick couldn't deliver clean skates and needs to dilute his programs?! He just keeps adding perfect skatings into his resume!

300 Club!:thumbsup::yes: I knew in the beginning of this season that this program could get 10 in CH. Now I'm waiting for him to get 10s in all PCS categories at 4CC and/or Worlds!

Last edited:

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Kudos to Kevin too for making a mark with all those quads. He almost made history today for landing 3 different quads. The 4Lo was downgraded, earning him only 3 points. Interesting that his TES is 85.51 compared to Patrick's 103.21. He has a great TES and a very impressive over all score of 158.63, just to be overshadowed by Patrick's amazing scores! Probably other skaters will meet the same fate comes Worlds if Patrick will put up similar performances.

It has been said before that Kevin's misfortune is to be skating for Canada at this time when Patrick Chan is so dominant. Kevin could have been National champion by now if he had skated in another era in Canadian figure skating. C'est la vie.
I'm glad that the judges rewarded him with that overall score. If only international judges would show him the same love. Does anyone think that his silver medal will help him with the judges at worlds? If he skates well obviously.

Last edited:

jettasian

Match Penalty
Been watching Chan's free program on TSN countless time already :) Just a question, at 4:48, did he slip? Because he was so fast, it's hard to tell.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
LOL!!! Over 200 with a bunch of crappy landings and no Hispanic character in the performance/interpretation. :laugh: Yeah, the show must go on.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
LOL!!! Over 200 with a bunch of crappy landings and no Hispanic character in the performance/interpretation. :laugh: Yeah, the show must go on.

Didn't see you write this kind of words under Takahashi's three-fall LP at Japan Nationals. That says all.;)

skatinginbc

Medalist
“I made the 300 club. I'm the only one though. I'm a loner," Chan said. “There are for sure people that are going to [question my high marks received on home turf], but you can't really do anything about it. I'm not going to let people ruin my fun.” And his secret to success is: “Having the right people around, having time for myself...and gambling. It's just so exciting to gamble." http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-for-his-fifth-canadian-title/article2310818/

One that deliberately tried to give a good humble image would have avoided saying "I'm the only one". The reporter would mention the fact anyway. Bringing it up himself could add little value and would run the risk of being perceived as arrogant. And we can surely advise him of not talking about gambling, which provokes sinful connotations and a picture of using the raised funds for gambling. "Having a good time in Vegas" is all he needed to say.

Now recall his defense made in early Dec last year regarding his China comments: "I was kind of caught up in the moment and I was just expressing my opinion just fresh from experiencing something magnificent." http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/story/?id=382248 "Chan, who is always talkative in front of cameras and microphones, said he will not change his relationship with the press. His honesty is part of who he is, he explained, and he will not change his personality." http://www.canada.com/sports/Patrick+Chan+backs+away+from+comments/5836075/story.html Indeed, he hasn't changed a bit. He is a real person. He doesn't fake nor hide his emotions. I like him as is and respect his candidness. So tell us the truth: Did you win in Vegas, Patrick? :biggrin:

Last edited: