Men - Free Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men - Free Program

artsciboy

On the Ice
Wow. It looks like Chan had another amazing skate - the protocols indicate 2 quads + 7 triples. He hit all of his jump elements. Can't wait to see it!

skatinginbc

Medalist
Happy Chinese New Year, PChiddy. Bring home the bacon.:)

Yup, all positive GOEs. looked like he had a clean free skate. And he did only quad double. There is still room for improvement!!!! Five judges gave him 10s for Interpretation. I can't wait to see what a perfect interpretation would look like.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Yup....GOEs look really good to great; got a lot of high pcs, including a lot of 10's especially for P/E and IN

ETA looks like his opening combo wasn't stellar - lot's of +1 GOE's, and if I'm reading this right, 2 level 3 spins....to think there might be more points here is crazy (yes, even with any/all national inflation).

Anyway...just wanted to also give a big shout out to all the competitors and really, congrats to the medalists (i'm so happy for all of them).

Last edited:

persimmon

Rinkside
I think Chiddy might have just peaked. It will be interesting to see how he handles the rest of the season and whether he can maintain the momentum.

nadster

Final Flight
It would be wise of him not to attend the 4CC so as to carry the momentum from the National directly to the Worlds.

It would also give Balde a ticket for 4CC's ; a trip he really needs as he has no ranking and still has not made the minimum score to be considered for senior GP's next year.

I think the coaching change has already been good for Balde. I have already seen improvements this nationals and I could see much bigger improvements over the summer.

Early thoughts about assignments next year ( Firus can't go back to JGP )

Nebelhorn - Ten , Balde

Firus will probably get a different senior B ( Findlandia for example ) if his jumps improve over the summer. Morais might go with him.

I have a feeling that Chan, Ten and Balde will be going to Skate Canada.

Early JGP's will be given to Nam, Mitchell Gordon , Peter O'Brien. With Rogozine likely going to JW, we should be able to get 14 slots ( the maximum )

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
:bow: WOW Patrick! :bow: Congratulations to Patrick, Kevin and Jeremy.

Cant' wait to see Patrick's FS

Last edited:
This sounds amazing. Chan got over 300 points? What did he do--dust the ceiling? Wow. I can't wait to see his programs. Go, Patrick!

artsciboy

On the Ice
Chan's skate is up on TSN. Fantastic skate...I hope, like last year, that he carries this phenomenal skate to another world title.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I like the fact that he took his time for all noises to die out and the mood to settle in before he got into the start position.

derplutz

Rinkside
Chan amazing.

Disappointed that Balde didn't beat Ten, but great skate for Balde

Still not a fan of Reynolds

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So, it's pretty much clear that Chan will step it up at Nationals. 2008 Nationals? Dethrones Buttle. 2009? Lands two triple axels in his free program. 2010? Comes back from injury to suggest that a medal at Worlds/Olympics is plausible. 2011? The most astonishing skate of his career.

I'm glad he skated clean - this program deserved as much. But I think he can bring an even greater commitment to the choreography and music then he did here. But his command of skate language is second to none. He's growing as a performer. I said "Je Suis Malade" unlocked Weaver/Poje. I think the same of "Aranjuez" for Chan. What a marvelous skater.

jettasian

Match Penalty
First, congrat to Chan, Gong Hey Fat Choi !!!

I can't believe he managed to get the 2T in after the shaky 4T! Other than that, he was flying on the ice....so fast, and all the jumps were so high.

emma

Record Breaker
TSN isn't letting me watch - keeps saying error (this happened to me with V/M too, but the next day I could watch it). But here's a Youtube link for Chan...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xR2q0zkEc&feature=youtu.be

So, I'm beyond impressed and my hat is off to him and may he celebrate with abandon. I am struck, though, that there are a few noticeable jump related points here and there. I can only explain my feeling in terms of another skater: I thought Yuna kim's olympic LP was so amazing, just amazing, yet, I fixated (for a few seconds) on her lack of toe point and leg turn out. It's like, when someone is just so utterly amazing you see "stuff" that in others you wouldn't even notice.

That said, I really appreciate IP's words above (about command of skate language and this program unlocking something in him)....beautiful and apt words. I can't wait to finish what I'm working on now to go back and rewatch this a lot!

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Hey, I just got back. Here are my thoughts on the day.

Chan is AMAZING!

The announcer said Reynolds may have broken a record for most rotations in a program. Can anyone confirm that?

I was surprised to see Ten is third. A beautiful skater but he didn't perform as well as Balde. He had to fight through every jump. I did however really enjoy his gala performance. It was less "Joanne Mcleod-ish" and quite lovely.

Balde was a lot of fun to watch. The height and power he gets with his jumps is awesome. If he had more of Ten's in-betweens, he'd be rocking.

I came in late but made it in time to see Nam Ngyuen. Keep an eye on that kid; he is good! And super cute!

Last edited:

fscric

On the Ice
Congratulations to Patrick! Wow! What a way to celebrate the first day of year of Dragon.

Congratulations to Kevin and Jeremy!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for Jeremy who was overwhelmed by emotions when he found out he had medaled. He was off ice for so long due to his injuries and rediscovered how much he loved skating and was thriledl to get his jumps back. Evidently he needs to have more consistent jumps and to get his 3A landed but I love his style and he had the second highest PCS of the Men's field.

I hope both Ten and Chan have a marvelous Year Of The Dragon!

Kudos to Kevin too for making a mark with all those quads. He almost made history today for landing 3 different quads. The 4Lo was downgraded, earning him only 3 points. Interesting that his TES is 85.51 compared to Patrick's 103.21. He has a great TES and a very impressive over all score of 158.63, just to be overshadowed by Patrick's amazing scores! Probably other skaters will meet the same fate comes Worlds if Patrick will put up similar performances.