Plushenko out of worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko out of worlds

Tanja90

On the Ice
I expected this but I hopend it wouldn't happen...so my last hope is european next year!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never expected Plushy to be at Worlds 2012. But Euros and Worlds 2013 just might be in the cards if he is truly intent on Sochi.

jcoates

Medalist
I think it's more likely that he is the Brett Favre or Serena Williams of skating. Like them, he's immensely talented and when well trained, healthy and competition tough, he's potentially dominant. Instead, like those two,he is a part time competitor who can't manage to walk away. He's not fully committed to full time competition, but he craves the rush and adulation he can't find anywhere else in his life. Yet his part time, last minute approach which was once passable due to his youth is no longer adequate in his advanced competitive age. It leads to injury and inability to keep up with technical and artistic strides made by those who came up after him.

PS I'm not saying he can't win. Like Favre and Williams, i think he can win in spurts, but his lack of consistent health and training will eventually catch up to him.

If he's going to do this, he needs to do it full time.

Last edited:

volk

Final Flight
So if Voronov also bombs FS at Europeans, Bush may be a substitute instead.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
He doesnt want to face Chan ever again. Watch him skate only at Europeans and Cup of Russia each year until he retires again. If Chan is entered in Cup of Russia he will withdraw from that too with an "injury" however.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. His ultimate goal is Sochi, right? Well, competing too much/too hard/too long would jeopardize that.

2. Think about it - in his heyday, he withdrew from the only Worlds in Russia (2005, Moscow) and there was never a European Championship in Russia (last one was in Leningrad, 1990). So while he's competed at numerous CoRs, Nationals, and other local competitions, one of the key faces of Russian figure skating hasn't competed at a major event in front of a home crowd. So I can see why he'd do everything in his power to avoid jeopardizing that.

3. Competing at Europeans gives him an easier field, a SB that makes him eligible for events next season

I think it's more likely that he is the Brett Favre or Serena Williams of skating. Like them, he's immensely talented and when well trained, healthy and competition tough, he's potentially dominant. Instead, like those two,he is a part time competitor who can't manage to walk away. He's not fully committed to full time competition, but he craves the rush and adulation he can't find anywhere else in his life. Yet his part time, last minute approach which was once passable due to his youth is no longer adequate in his advanced competitive age. It leads to injury and inability to keep up with technical and artistic strides made by those who came up after him.

PS I'm not saying he can't win. Like Favre and Williams, i think he can win in spurts, but his lack of consistent health and training will eventually catch up to him.

If he's going to do this, he needs to do it full time.

I'm just familiar enough with tennis to get the wonderful parallels you always make using tennis players. This is a very interesting one, and it really makes your point about Plushenko's love of the crowd as well as his love of skating for its own sake. There are some people who just bask in the warmth of the spotlight and the applause, and he is one of them. Another one he reminds me of is Jimmy Connors, especially at Forest Hills (which I think always came around on his birthday, a fact that grew especially meaningful in his later years). Like Connors, Plushenko is a tenacious pit bull who doesn't give up and rarely chokes in a pressure situation.

I'll take your word for it about Favre, since I don't know much about football.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Ah contraire, Mr. Evgeni Plushenko has always reminded me of my all-time favorite tennis player, Bjorn Borg. :cool: *the emoticon says it all*

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'll take your word for it about Favre, since I don't know much about football.

He's being generous about Farve... but then I'm so anti-Farve... GreenBay's got a much better all around guy in their current QB: aaron rogers (or as my cousin calls him "Chico Jesus"... he's the only Packer that Northern Cali worships because he's a local lol)

jcoates

Medalist
Toni, you're right. I was trying to avoid getting into any fights about Favre. In truth both he and Serena really rub me the wrong way. I still have fears that Brett will find a reason to come back. In Serena's case, she isn't even taking time off for injuries anymore. She's just taking breaks because she feels like it. That has led to her not being match tough and then suffering silly injuries and getting blown off the court by players outside the top 50. Kwan did something similar to herself toward the end.

Pogue, I see your points about over training or competing, but there is just as much risk in under training and then diving headlong into competition and getting re-injured. I don't think Plushenko can afford to take long breaks from at least training before he announces mere months before a give season that he plans to compete again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah I'm waiting for Farve to make another comeback... they were talking about him this season coming back and saving I can't remember which franchise... all I could do was scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Guy is a total tool...

ciocio

On the Ice
He doesnt want to face Chan ever again. Watch him skate only at Europeans and Cup of Russia each year until he retires again. If Chan is entered in Cup of Russia he will withdraw from that too with an "injury" however.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I bet all skaters will start having surgeries because they want to avoid Chan!!!
Thank you for your sense of humour!:thumbsup:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Talk about how he doesn't find love or interest outside fs so that is why he obviously competes is BS,sorry,people we tend to put down anything that is different and we can't explain it with our own terms. We can't know why he does like to compete, but the speculation is really shallow and doesn't belong to an athlete. Is it the same with kvdp, joubert, or any past champion who came back in competition.? Especially Kevin when he doesn't have always medal hopes but he keeps going? Plushenko is not season trained like he started in august,  he has started training  a year ago, attended all the summer camps to come back now and in between he fixed his one knee. And in his heyday he was competing everywhere. But he is not 20 anymore and he doesn't need another gp medal in his collection. You sounded like he trains for a month his triples and comes back.

1.  His ultimate goal is Sochi, right?  Well, competing too much/too hard/too long would jeopardize that.

2.  Think about it - in his heyday, he withdrew from the only Worlds in Russia (2005, Moscow) and there was never a European Championship in Russia (last one was in Leningrad, 1990).  So while he's competed at numerous CoRs, Nationals, and other local competitions, one of the key faces of Russian figure skating hasn't competed at a major event in front of a home crowd.  So I can see why he'd do everything in his power to yavoid jeopardizing that.

3.  Competing at Europeans gives him an easier field, a SB that makes him eligible for events next season

Thank you. . Only major competition was 2003 gpf in st peters.   Plush started to do only cor in the year before torino  due to the big injury  and he didn't want to go to 2005 gpf that  he was first alternative when weir withdrew because he was targeting moscow.  But he went to gpf with Pisev pushing and he regrets it,  and whenever he mentions worlds 2005 it shows. 

spikydurian

Medalist
Plushenko has had how many knee surguries already? 5? 6? Continuing to pound his knees doing quads, and triple jumps are bound to eventually lead him to walking with a cane and leave him an arthritic mess. Don't think this comeback is a smart decision.
I think so too. Competitive figure skating is very tough on the body esp. knees. I don't know why he insists on competing again.. Maybe not winning Olympic gold last year made him determined to win what he thinks is rightfully his. I admire him for his determination but I personally think that he has already achieved so much and no one can take that away from him. He's already a legend .. why not retire in good shape? If he's not careful, by age 40, he may have the knee of a 60 year old. Frankly, what is life if we are not healthy and live in pain? Look at Mohammed Ali? (Not that Plushenko will be Mohd Ali!) .. I wonder what is the use of all the fame when you are physically disable??? Just my thoughts ...:think:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'm still in disbelieve that the old man beat everybody else and got #1 in SB in the ISU competitions!:bow:

That's the King's style!!!:love: You said that I had no transitions and was not able to have them?! I'll show you and I'll have them! You said that my spins weren't good enough?! I'll give you top world-class spins! You said that I could do jumps and jumps only?! I'll cut down my jump content and add more on everything else, and I can still stand on the top of the podium!:yes:

When the King says so, it is so!:biggrin:

I wish Plushenko could be at the world and give everybody a run. I have reason to believe that he could be on the world podium if he goes.

Wish him have a successful knee surgery and comeback next season strong and healthy!

Last edited:

ciocio

On the Ice
I wish him health too!!!!
I know how exciting would have been for Plush to challenge his "enemies" :laugh: at Worlds but health come first!!!

stevlin

On the Ice
Which knee needs the surgery? Has he had surgery on both knees? How many surgeries can a knee undergo before the knee can't take anymore or more surgery won't help? a body part can only take so much.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Which knee needs the surgery? Has he had surgery on both knees? How many surgeries can a knee undergo before the knee can't take anymore or more surgery won't help? a body part can only take so much.

Now left knee, last year it was right knee, some 5 years ago (2007) it was one knee again but that was big surgery, i dont remember which leg back then.And one hernia surgery.
A person at fsu had explained what procedure he does for his meniscus and had said it is not so worrying, apparently each time they are cleaning it cause it is broken in pieces or something.