Senior Ladies Short Jan 26 7:30 PM | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Short Jan 26 7:30 PM

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was the best Senior Ladies SP at Nats i have seen in a long long time. The youngsters skating in their first Senior Nats were impressive.

lilshorty

On the Ice
Well, it's off to bed for me. I'm so thrilled that the vets have done so well! Looking forward to the FS! :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nadine, I just sent you a PM. You can answer my question there since Rach's politics is off topic here. :)

Base value. Even with the UR, Leah's BV is 30 while Kiri's is a bit over 24.
OK. Thanks.

I refuse to write Mirai off (even tho' she's making it hard for me, LOL). There are only 7 points between her and Agnes. Go, Mirai! Dig deep!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Now why is Leah ahead of Kiri Baga?

Very short version- Kira's lutz was under-rotated severely reducing its value. Her spins were 2 leel 3 and a level 4- Leah had all level 4 spins. Also even with a negative GOE Leah's combo was worth a whole point more.

Kira did beat Leah on PCS's

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How would Gracie Gold done if she skated here tonight with the skate she did the other night?

1.) Her TES would have been second here, behind Agnes.
2.) She would have been 4th if she skated here.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For me, the program of the night was Caroline Zhang's. She not only skated great, she looked great. I'm so happy for her. Agnes also skated an impressive technical program. I think Alissa was over-scored, but will wait to see the protocols before making a final judgment. Best newcomer for me was Nina Jiang. Overall, a good night of skating.

Very short version- Kira's lutz was under-rotated severely reducing its value. Her spins were 2 leel 3 and a level 4- Leah had all level 4 spins. Also even with a negative GOE Leah's combo was worth a whole point more.

Kira did beat Leah on PCS's
Didn't realize K's lutz was underrotated. Will have to rewatch those programs - I'd have thought Kiri's new spin positions would give her the edge. Thanks.

macy

Record Breaker
wow what a flight! i have to say i'm impressed. agnes= wow. inflated IMO, but she did very well. it's too bad about the 2A for alissa, if she would have gotten it she would be in first. LOVE her program. ashley did a nice job too. i don't know what it is, there's just something about her skating i don't like. but nonetheless, good performance. YAY CAROLINE! SO HAPPY! i'm so happy for her, she did beautifully! i hope she at least gets a medal this year, she deserves it. well, mirai...i wasn't impressed. there's no fire. great spins as always, but it wasn't exciting. and rachael, i feel soooo bad for her. i hope she has a great long, no matter how she places. it might be too early to say, but i think it's going to be a choice between stanford and skating. i wish she could do both well. still rooting for her though.

as for the senior debuts, i am VERY impressed! nina jiang was AWESOME, you would have never guessed she was a first year! loved her! sophia adams was also very good, loved her spins. haley dunne did a nice job too. leah keiser has very nice jumps and ok spins, but she really needs work on her PCS.

the final group in the FS is going to be so exciting! i can't wait! at this point i think i would like to see alissa and agnes or alissa and ashley go to worlds. this is gonna be fun! i am praying and hoping alissa skates well and defends her title! GO ALISSA!!!!!!!!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps the ladies heard that the USFSA is thinking of perhaps sending Gracie Gold to Senior Worlds or 4CC and that gave them the kick in the butt that they needed because they sure brought it tonight. Maybe they got tired of hearing how Gracie is the savior of US Ladies skating and they had something to prove.

Last edited:

cornell08

Final Flight
Ok, too excited to go to bed now. Caroline's story is so moving because of her journey to this point. IMO her performance was an underscored program-of-her-life (but hopefully not for long!). So proud of her. Princess Caroline might be back! :)

macy

Record Breaker
wow gracie's getting considered for the world team and 4cc? thats so awesome!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocol time-- Time for the Mrs. P mixdown....

Jumps (Top 10)
Agnes 20.80
Ashley 17.70
Caroline 16.73
Christina 16.29
Nina 16.07
Vanessa 15.74
Leah 14.80
Alissa 14.10
Mirai 13.97
Rachael 12.70

Nonjump elements:
Alissa 17.84
Mirai 16.20
Ashley 14.93
Agnes 14.85
Caroline 14.80
Leah 14.78
Vanessa 14.69
Christina 12.69
Nina 12.32
Rachael 12.26

PCS:
Alissa 31.20
Agnes 30.59
Ashley 30.43
Caroline 28.65 (Also some judge gave her a 4.75 in transition...must be a typo right?)
Mirai 28.85
Rachael 27.75
Christina 25.85
Nina 25.27
Vanessa 24.14
Leah 23.86

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Very good competition: the final flight will be Agnes, Alissa, Ashley, Caroline, Mirai, Christina.

I just saw a brief press conference on the backstage IN feed with top three ladies. Majority of questions were asked of Agnes who looked very composed. All three ladies were poised and answered the questions very thoughtfully. Ashley was asked about 3 questions, and Alissa, only one before the presser ended. The press corp seemed all excited over Agnes -- I guess that's par for course with sports journalists, since Agnes is now the one to beat. It would be nice to see 1-4 top ladies in sp being asked questions individually.

alexeifan

On the Ice
I would like to know what is with this Rachael and her Politics as well. Never heard her talk about it ever. Rachael has always just discussed her skating so I'm confused....

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
This last one, Leah Kaiser, looks & skates like she still belongs in Novice & Juniors imho. They've rushed her on up to Seniors too fast.

And now my final word about Rachael Flatt, whom I've been a fan of since I first saw her debut in 2007, still a fan like I said earlier, but her politics & other things totally unrelated to skating turn me off. This is why it is not good to mix church with state, skating with politics, et al. It's a huge turn off. I'm glad Michelle Kwan always kept a low profile and never mixed her personal life with skating in such a way that it's open to interpretation. Here's to Rachael doing super at Stanford (that's given, lol) and if she continues to skate I wish her well. :)

:rock:NOW ONTO THE FS; BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

What is this in reference to? Her politics and other things unrelated to skating? Did I miss a big story or something?

Nadine

Record Breaker
One final note before I retire for the night. :)

I've been thinking about how the USFSA needs some hard hitters, female skaters that can go head-to-head with the Russian phenoms of the likes of Adelina Sotnikova & Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, and I'm thinking Gracie Gold is almost a given (knock on wood, don't want to jinx her) and maybe just maybe Agnes Zawadski, whom I was over the moon about last year at Nationals (comparing her to Tonya Harding, etc. etc. etc.). (8^D But as we've seen Agnes did not pan out during the GP, and this is what gives me pause for thought. Then again neither did Adelina, but I wouldn't compare Agnes to Adelina, Agnes still has a long way to go. Still, my point is that right now the only two big jumpers I see the USA have are these two ~ Gracie & Agnes ~ and Sochi 2014 is only two years off. What will they do? :think: :scratch: :frown:

Hard one to call. The Russian phenoms are not eligible for Worlds this year, but Gracie is, Gracie is. (;^) And we all know the more experience one has at Worlds the better the chance one has to do well. This is to Gracie's advantage. Because next year all bets are off with the Russians coming! :eek: Just some food for thought...

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I am thrilled for Caroline!! I hope Alissa can pull thru and am saddened for Mirai. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally hope she can dig deep and pull up in the standings. All in all it was an exciting night of ladies skating :)

Icenetwork was wearing me out though, it was freezing ALOT on me tonight. We had people over and the freezing got old fast. Hopefully no one else experienced it as badly.

Time for bed, I have to fly in the am.

Nadine

Record Breaker
ps: as to politics, that's private, as I told Mrs. P (very politely btw, thanks for understanding & respecting my wishes). Sorry I brought it up, but it has literally been festering inside of me for some time now, at least a year and half. And that's my final word on the subject. If you wish to discuss it with me further, PM, and I will tell you the exact thing I told Mrs. P. Finito!