Can Ashley Wagner be U.S. figure skating's next star? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Ashley Wagner be U.S. figure skating's next star?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I knew she was going to win. I was surprised to see so many people thinking they'd give it to Alissa or mirai, no matter what, as in the past. She has broken thru the ceiling, and I think she will have the confidence to skate well at worlds. I still think the intl judges will go with mao, akiko, carolina, alissa even with falls over a clean ashley. Some people don't think she is world class, but I think she can be if she skates her best. i was surprised to see her tackle black swan as she is so athletic/ripped looking, not balletic. ballerinas don't develop their upper bodies like Ash does, so that detracts a bit from the ballerina look. So will she ever become a world champion? I think not. But given the current US ladies, I think she has been underscored in past years. She was not a darling of the judges. She earns what she gets. I am glad she won, it was deserved.

she had a decent enough results in her grand prix season
so I think she is improving and the international judges might take notice of that too.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I knew she was going to win. I was surprised to see so many people thinking they'd give it to Alissa or mirai, no matter what, as in the past. She has broken thru the ceiling, and I think she will have the confidence to skate well at worlds. I still think the intl judges will go with mao, akiko, carolina, alissa even with falls over a clean ashley. Some people don't think she is world class, but I think she can be if she skates her best. i was surprised to see her tackle black swan as she is so athletic/ripped looking, not balletic. ballerinas don't develop their upper bodies like Ash does, so that detracts a bit from the ballerina look. So will she ever become a world champion? I think not. But given the current US ladies, I think she has been underscored in past years. She was not a darling of the judges. She earns what she gets. I am glad she won, it was deserved.

She was underscored in the past. She definitely deserved the U.S title in 2008 when she was placed 3rd. I agree with your overall assessment on things, although now as U.S Champion I think Czisny with mistakes would probably now lose to a clean Wagner. Suzuki probably as well.

R.D.

Record Breaker
For Wagner, it's a fight for respect. Looks like she obtained it on the national level...now she needs to earn that same respect from the international judges. I think she should do 4CC as a trial run.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wish she could resurrect her triple lutz-triple loop from 2008. That is the kind of thing that could put her over the top now. I am amazed she could ever do that combo when she hardly gets called for a clean regular lutz.

Trewyn

Medalist
I've been a fierce fan of Ashley since 2007, she was a large part of the reason why I got so 'into' figure skating at all. Her finally being national champion and going to Worlds is amazing. There's the selfish reason of finally having her compete in Europe again (I was just too late discovering her in 2007, flights to Bulgaria in 2009 were way too expensive), I'll likely go to Nice and I can't wait to see her perform in real life!

I like the comparison of Ashley with skaters like Joannie and Akiko; they've had to slowly build up their reputation too, improve, get consitency etc. I hope anyone calling Ashley a 'has-been' will think twice now :)

4CC will definitely be good for her; she needs to build her international reputation now. I think she's pretty realistic about her chances to medal at Worlds, even if she skates like she did last night. Maybe we'll finally see that triple-triple she's been working on? I hope this title gives her momentum and confidence; she's already got the drive! A medal at 4CC should probably put her in the running for at least top 5 at worlds?

Ashley + Alissa has been my dream team for years. It's going to be hard work getting those 3 spots back; they'll need to stay calm and composed and perform their best. It's definitely possible but it won't be given to them on a silver platter.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Don't mean to be a damper but I don't have much hope for 3 spots. Having seen how Nagasu performed, I do think it's the right call to send Czisny and Wagner, but the former hasn't really seem to have found her groove this season and the latter isn't getting much respect from international judges. I see them both perhaps in the bottom half of the top 10.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
6+7 - be optimistic!

If they don't get three spots this year, they aren't next year, with the baby brigade coming of age and the fierce showdowns we're gonna see. But hey, Canada only has one spot, and will likely stay at that until 2015.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I had hope in 2010 but Nagasu tanked...

I had hope last year but Flatt bombed...

I think I've given up at this point and think we're relegated to second-rate status in ladies behind Japan, and soon, perhaps Russia.

If Czisny/Wagner can prove me wrong, however- great. And I sincerely hope they do.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I had hope in 2010 but Nagasu tanked...

I had hope last year but Flatt bombed...

I think I've given up at this point and think we're relegated to second-rate status in ladies behind Japan, and soon, perhaps Russia.

If Czisny/Wagner can prove me wrong, however- great. And I sincerely hope they do.

I can see Czisny winning a bronze if she puts it together, in which case 3 spots should be easy. If not I could see a combination of 5th and 7th, 5th and 8th, sort of thing being well doable.

Trewyn

Medalist
Czisny was *was* pretty close to bronze last year. If she'd made a few mistakes less, I think she could have had it... She *did* win the 2010 GPF, but she'll have to be the confident Alissa we saw at the beginning of the season.

With 3 spots the US can afford one of their contestants to have an 'off' day. With only 2 they both have to deliver.

psbfan01

Rinkside
heh

Ashley's been around for a LONG time. She's won a few GP medals, but hasn't really broken through internationally at a major competition. ISU judges just aren't that impressed by her. So no, I don't think she's going to be the next big thing. IMO, Gracie Gold has the vest shot at that.

I hope this chuckm is eating a little crow this morning...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, but this win was a NATIONAL championship. That post seems like the poster doubts her INTERNATIONAL ability. We shall see on that one...

skateflower

Match Penalty
Although I'm turned off by Wagner's personality, I do believe she has certain 'star' quality. This program was nicely choreographed. I think international judges will give her a second look if she keeps on skating clean.

One thing I like about Ashley is that she isn't a light, delicate sylph. That's the reason I also like Agnes Z. It's wonderful to see variety among competitors. Femininity includes muscles, too! Though I love exquisiteness as much as the next person (Sasha being one of my favorites, for example), a consistent diet of it would be sooo boring.

As someone else pointed out, there has recently been a spate of ladies who not only have skated well into their twenties but have actually peaked after they turned twenty. This is a heartening development. If Ashley is going to be that sort of skater, then my hat's off to her. By this time, we should all realize that a skating fan can never say never. But then, we should have learned that with Paul Wylie and Todd Eldredge.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Ashley has the attitude of a champion, especially this year. She has worked REALLY hard and it shows. physically she is in great shape and she has always had underrated musicality and spins. Ashely very rarely bombs a free skate....she has often made small errors like two-foots and edge calls, but falls and pops are not that common. Her speed is fantastic, the way she flew into that salchow there was no way she could have controlled it, thus the pop. I hope she can keep this up at worlds and receive appropriate scores for it...that LP is simply Sasha-like.

Johar

Medalist
Although I'm turned off by Wagner's personality, I do believe she has certain 'star' quality. This program was nicely choreographed. I think international judges will give her a second look if she keeps on skating clean.

What is it about her personality that turns you off?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
One thing I like about Ashley is that she isn't a light, delicate sylph. That's the reason I also like Agnes Z. It's wonderful to see variety among competitors. Femininity includes muscles, too! Though I love exquisiteness as much as the next person (Sasha being one of my favorites, for example), a consistent diet of it would be sooo boring.

As someone else pointed out, there has recently been a spate of ladies who not only have skated well into their twenties but have actually peaked after they turned twenty. This is a heartening development. If Ashley is going to be that sort of skater, then my hat's off to her. By this time, we should all realize that a skating fan can never say never. But then, we should have learned that with Paul Wylie and Todd Eldredge.

All good points Olympia. I think i found Agnes look just this year more masculine because she is tall, angular, muscles, no fat, no breasts and slicked back hair ala victor/victoria. Other years she did not strike me as masculine. Then there are jumps so big, many men would be put to shame. she is a great jumper, and i ike her upbeat, fast jazzy programs, but the traditional ice princess look and music will elude her. I like her for what she is, but i can't say, "wow, what beautiful graceful skating," no matter how good the jumps. I think skaters like Tonya, Midori, Irina,Bonaly were all quite interesting and talented, but so athletic that they lacked the ballet lines of the sport I admire. There is a reason they all give breaks to Alisa, And the female skaters who have her attributes. Carolina K is winning with watered down content. She looks stunnung and she has grace and speed. It's amazing in person they all say. But people change and develop and above all, conform to what a lady looks like in skating to win. If they want to win, there is an ideal - Alissa is it with her pink glam, we heard 3 times yesterday. Her skating is so gracefully feminine and would still be if she skated in a phantom mask. She moves with a feminine grace I like. I think Sasha's recent show programs with no jumps are very watchable. The skating is beautiful. Yes, she is tiny, like Mao the butterfly. But Scott touted Alissa three times with "physical beauty" being part of a ladies champion. Like it or not, it is almost always an ice princess sport. Agnes had a great SP. Her Lp did not do much for me outside the huge, smooth jumps. But to each her own.

I personally never found male or female body builders attractive. Like it or not, I suspect there is a gene or neuron that identifies masculine as muscular and feminine as soft. The ripped look is becoming important in skating with the women. In Witt's day, I'll bet there was not much upper body work, so feminine ideal is changing in the media.

No offense to Agnes ubers. I like her spunk and her awesome jumps. It will be interesting to see how far she goes. I think she will be a US Champion one day soon.

Last edited: