Short Dance for season 2012-13 is... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Short Dance for season 2012-13 is...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not necessarily, of course. And this set of choices sets up the Tango Romantica for the Olympics again (not a strength of D&W's).

However, they certainly know a lot more about tango than they did in 2010. And even if you don't like them, you've got to give them props for looking unflinchingly at their weaknesses and trying to improve stuff each year.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
How so? The Yankee Polka next season, the Finnstep in the Olympic season. Where does the Tango Romantica fit in?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
2010/2011 Season: Golden Waltz
2011/2012 Season: Rhumba
2012/2013 Season: Yankee Polka
2013/2014 Season (Olympics): Finnstep
2014/2015 Season: Get rid of the SD because it was an experiment that failed) or Tango Romantica.

... is this what you mean?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was just half asleep and counting wrong, that's all. But the Finnstep for Olympics is way too good to be true. I love :love: :love: watching the Finnstep. It makes me remember watching Rahkamo & Kokko, one of my very favorite ever teams skate the original Finnstep to Borsalino :)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Do you feel like the SD failed as an experiment, ImaginaryPogue? This may actually be worth making a new topic, but I'm already here. I may well change my mind next season when I'm driven to polka my eardrums, but for now, I love the SD. It makes watching the pattern dance a lot less repetitive, while still being quite instructive in the skill level of different teams. It also makes the OD seem less extraneous than before. Plus, I really, really loved the rumba and latin rhythm this season. It's sexy, fun and features some of my favorite genres of music as well as my favorite styles in ballroom. While I don't think many teams succeeded in translating latin to ice, there are a few teams that did enough to make me watch their SDs over and over. And with most teams, I never felt like the rumba pattern intruded on the program at all. Personally, I think the SD is the fairest solution to bringing ice dance in line with the other disciplines in having two segments of the competition.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I will miss the ODs that just aren't possible to mash together with the CDs, like folk dances, but I think the SD is a fair compromise if we can't have a three seg. competition.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I will miss the ODs that just aren't possible to mash together with the CDs, like folk dances, but I think the SD is a fair compromise if we can't have a three seg. competition.

Folk dance is the only one I can think of that can't be mooshed with the current patterns. But that's because folk dance was waaaaaaay too broad a category. Of course, things would also work better if more pattern dances set to a wider variety of rhythms were invented. I hope someone's working on a dubstep pattern.

P.S. I ask again, what set rhythms are likely to go with the Finnstep?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Finnstep is a quickstep. The traditional mix is waltz, foxtrot, (sometimes polka, but I doubt they will use it considering they will have heard enough polka this next year.

BTW, the YP is a folk dance, and the Kilian is in a folk dance mode. They could be combined with a list of folk dances, like those for the folk dance OD, taking out ones that aren't European folk dances. (hoedowns, African, Chinese, Japanese & Indian wouldn't work)

KKonas

Medalist
Dance Meeting

Just left the ISU Dance Meeting to learn that nothing is set yet for the SD for Olympic year. All is under discussion. Moir is very unhappy about the Polka for next year and the Finnstep for Olympic year. Zoueva wants to go back to Tango Romantica or Golden Waltz for Olympics Dance tech Comm. chair Helena Gordon-Poltorak doesn't want to repeat those dances as they are so recent. She wants the Finnstep. So nothing decided yet. Lots of discussion. When Islam said the public won't remember what dances were for the last Olympics, I said, "really?" They seem to think the skating public doesn't remember this stuff. But Poltorak is wanting something different and the coaches want the same stuff because they know it. Poltorak even said after this Olympic season, they may eliminate the SD for some other type of qualifying step sequences not a Pattern Dance. For Jrs the blues Swing & Hip Hop for next season. I finally had to leave to watch ladies final.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That would work! But it would be a very hectic, fast dance for sure, as all 3 dances demand.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
BTW, the YP is a folk dance, and the Kilian is in a folk dance mode. They could be combined with a list of folk dances, like those for the folk dance OD, taking out ones that aren't European folk dances. (hoedowns, African, Chinese, Japanese & Indian wouldn't work)

but those were the more fun ODs... the Shibs' Japanese fans... D/W's Indian... etc...