NHK Pairs Finals (sort of), Dance & Lalique Exhibs | Golden Skate

NHK Pairs Finals (sort of), Dance & Lalique Exhibs

This was on Lifetime Sunday morning in the east. It was a comination of exhibitions from Trophee Lalique, quickie coverage of the NHK pairs finals, and traditional coverage of NHK dance finals. Plus the required fluff, lol.

Lalique Exhibitions
Bebe Liang--Sting, "World in a Glass," a waltz. One fall and BeBe didn't have much spark, but a couple of very good skates for her considering it's her first year on the senior circuit. Could be a dark horse for a Nats medal. BTW, not one but two crotch-shots--one on her Charlotte, the other in her spiral. At least the director apparently caught the spiral one and changed cameras after about a second.

Exhib Weiss--J. Giles Band, "Covergirl." Did the "Tornado" but even with that and unbuttoning his shirt, Zzzzzzzz.

Showed quickie version of NHK pairs finals, ie, about 30 sec of four top teams.

Exhib Langlois/Archetto--Ewan Macgregor,"Your Song" from "Moulin Rouge." Didn't know they were a couple off the ice. Liked this exhib program. Pleasant but upbeat and energetic music, fun energetic choreography. When they're on, this team has a real spark.

Exhib Belbin/Agosto--Did edited "Elvis" program from last season. Fun for an exhib, but definitely shows how much they've improved since last season in both technique and finding a style that suits them and also goes over well with the judges.

Exhib Sasha--Nino Rota's "Romeo and Juliet." Gorgeous costume, IMO, Now here she did the fan spiral on a curve with a beautifully deep and secure BOE. Why isn't she doing that in her competitive SP & LP? Obviously she can. This music really suits her and seems to bring out more "soul" in her. I'm hoping Sasha and Tarasova will use "R&J" for her competitive LP next season. True it's been overused, but when a piece of music really brings out the best in a skater, I say use it.

Segnebt with past skating champions talking about pros and cons of today's skating: Boitano--the corruption in the sport. Debi Thomas, laughing--Corruption? That's like saying "What's wrong with politics?" Pelletier--Said he wants to have more input into the decisions of the ISU. Also blurbs from Jamie Sale, Scott Hamilton, and Peggy Fleming, just couldn't get it all. Nthing substantive, but interesting to hear who said what.

Exhib Denkova/Staviski exhib--didn't get the music title, but high energy tango pop rock. Not a great exhib program, but fun and sexy.

BTW, Nancy has improved tremendously as an on-air personality. Her voice quality and articulation is very good and even though she's still on the stiff side, she's improved A LOT. Especially in interviews, she's relaxed and seems to most at ease doing this. Good for Nancy for going from a nasal voice with an unintentional whiney sound to an ever improving pro.

NHK dance finals: Unlike pairs, traditional coverage, showing entire programs.
Rabinowitz/Mitchell (US): Music "Temptation Tango." At SC came in 9th. 2000 Novice and Jr. Natl champs. 17 and 21 yrs old, so quite young. Good technique, need to work on line, a lot of 2 ft skating in the choreography, some lack of unison, tend to lose speed but then get it back. Lack of unison and bobbles cost them here, but if they stay together, could be something.

Funny segment with Jef Billings on costuming with his examples of what not to wear, lol. He also gave some examples of his favorite costumes. One of his faves: Sarah Hughes's lavendar Olympic costume because "she felt comfortable in it and ready to become Olympic champion." I thought it was simple and effective--the best kind of costume, IMO. Whatever that costume did for Sarah, it sure worked!

Winkler/Lohse (Germany). A fall and not much difficulty considering their abilities. Didn't like the music--it didn't build and seemed rather all over the place, as did the choreography. No depth to the concept, IMO, (sun and moon) and awful overly obvious costumes--him in yellow and orange, her in silver and black. How about just a suggestion of the sun and moon? I've always liked this team, but they and their choreographer, coach, and costumer seem to sabotage them

Denkova/Staviski (Bulgaria). Handel with a techno beat in the second half. LOVE this music and program. As Susie Wynn pointed out, choreography icludes lots of level changes, which is a page out of Doris Humphrey's "The Art of Making Dances" because it increases interest, difficulty, and can add depth depending on the intensity of the performance. which I think they have. Too much chiffon on his costume, IMO, which gets in the way, as in covers her face at times during certain lifts, and makes it difficult to see the body line. But a beautiful team with beautiful music, choreography, and performance.

Grushina/Goncharov (Ukraine). Didn't catch the music, but definitely ended with some "Carmina Burana" but overall a little over the top for my taste, even though the concept is that he's a soldier and she's an angel. Ruslan sure looks hot with his hair straightened, lol.

Chait/Sakhnovsky (Israel). More super intense music with something I didn't recognize, followed by the circus warhorse "Rolling Thunder" with cheers and screaming recorded in, then Nino Rota Fellini music, all during the first minute. The choreography too during the first 60 seconds seems all over the place but then starts to settle down musically, though C/S keep up the energy and difficult choreography. Overall, this is the best I've seen them look both this and last season. However, Galit has now lost parts of her costume at two events, which results in deductions. You want to shake them for repeating a problem that's so easy to fix. They still win the bronze.

NHK Dance Results, which I know have been posted:
1. Denkova/Staviski
2. Grushina/Goncharov
3. Chait/Sakhnovsky

Finale: The can-can performed by the chorus of the Moulin Rouge and a male soloist--on stage, not on ice. Splits, tumbling, and tushies galore. Perfect ending for Lifetime's coverage of the GP series;)Lalique Exhib: Bebe Liang--Sting, "World in a Glass," a waltz. One fall and BeBe didn't have much spark, but a couple of very good skates for her considering it's her first year on the senior circuit. Could be a dark horse for a Nats medal. BTW, not one but two crotch-shots--one on her Charlotte, the other in her spiral. At least the director apparently caught the spiral one and changed cameras after about a second.

Exhib Weiss--J. Giles Band, "Covergirl." Did the "Tornado" but even with that and unbuttoning his shirt

Showed quickie version of NHK pairs finals, ie, about 30 sec of four top teams.

Exhib Langlois/Archetto--Ewan Macgregor,"Your Song" from "Moulin Rouge." Didn't know they were a couple off the ice. Liked this exhib program. Pleasant but upbeat and energetic music, fun energetic choreography. When they're on, this team has a real spark.

Exhib Belbin/Agosto--Did edited "Elvis" program from last season. Fun for an exhib, but definitely shows how much they've improved since last season in both technique and finding a style that suits them and also goes over well with the judges.

Exhib Sasha--Nino Rota's "Romeo and Juliet." Gorgeous costume, IMO, Now here she did the fan spiral on a curve with a beautifully deep and secure BOE. Why isn't she doing that in her competitive SP & LP? Obviously she can. This music really suits her and seems to bring out more "soul" in her. I'm hoping Sasha and Tarasova will use "R&J" for her competitive LP next season. True it's been overused, but when a piece of music really brings out the best in a skater, I say use it.

Segnebt with past skating champions talking about pros and cons of today's skating: Boitano--the corruption in the sport. Debi Thomas, laughing--Corruption? That's like saying "What's wrong with politics?" Pelletier--Said he wants to have more input into the decisions of the ISU. Also blurbs from Jamie Sale, Scott Hamilton, and Peggy Fleming, just couldn't get it all. Nthing substantive, but interesting to hear who said what.

Exhib Denkova/Staviski exhib--didn't get the music title, but high energy tango pop rock. Not a great exhib program, but fun and sexy.

BTW, Nancy has improved tremendously as an on-air personality. Her voice quality and articulation is very good and even though she's still on the stiff side, she's improved A LOT. Especially in interviews, she's relaxed and seems to most at ease doing this. Good for Nancy for going from a nasal voice with an unintentional whiney sound to an ever improving pro.

NHK dance finals: Unlike pairs, traditional coverage, showing entire programs.
Rabinowitz/Mitchell (US): Music "Temptation Tango." At SC came in 9th. 2000 Novice and Jr. Natl champs. 17 and 21 yrs old, so quite young. Good technique, need to work on line, a lot of 2 ft skating in the choreography, some lack of unison, tend to lose speed but then get it back. Lack of unison and bobbles cost them here, but if they stay together, could be something.

Funny segment with Jef Billings on costuming with his examples of what not to wear, lol. He also gave some examples of his favorite costumes. One of his faves: Sarah Hughes's lavendar Olympic costume because "she felt comfortable in it and ready to become Olympic champion." I thought it was simple and effective--the best kind of costume, IMO. Whatever that costume did for Sarah, it sure worked!

Winkler/Lohse (Germany). A fall and not much difficulty considering their abilities. Didn't like the music--it didn't build and seemed rather all over the place, as did the choreography. No depth to the concept, IMO, (sun and moon) and awful overly obvious costumes--him in yellow and orange, her in silver and black. How about just a suggestion of the sun and moon? I've always liked this team, but they and their choreographer, coach, and costumer seem to sabotage them

Denkova/Staviski (Bulgaria). Handel with a techno beat in the second half. LOVE this music and program. As Susie Wynn pointed out, choreography icludes lots of level changes, which is a page out of Doris Humphrey's "The Art of Making Dances" because it increases interest, difficulty, and can add depth depending on the intensity of the performance. which I think they have. Too much chiffon on his costume, IMO, which gets in the way, as in covers her face at times during certain lifts, and makes it difficult to see the body line. But a beautiful team with beautiful music, choreography, and performance.

Grushina/Goncharov (Ukraine). Didn't catch the music, but definitely ended with some "Carmina Burana" but overall a little over the top for my taste, even though the concept is that he's a soldier and she's an angel. Ruslan sure looks hot with his hair straightened, lol.

Chait/Sakhnovsky (Israel). More super intense music with something I didn't recognize, followed by the circus warhorse "Rolling Thunder" with cheers and screaming recorded in, then Nino Rota Fellini music, all during the first minute. The choreography too during the first 60 seconds seems all over the place but then starts to settle down musically, though C/S keep up the energy and difficult choreography. Overall, this is the best I've seen them look both this and last season. However, Galit has now lost parts of her costume at two events, which results in deductions. You want to shake them for repeating a problem that's so easy to fix. They still win the bronze.

NHK Dance Results, which I know have been posted:
1. Denkova/Staviski
2. Grushina/Goncharov
3. Chait/Sakhnovsky

Finale: The can-can performed by the chorus of the Moulin Rouge and a male soloist--on stage, not on ice. Splits, tumbling, and tushies galore. Perfect ending for Lifetime's coverage of the GP series;)
Rgirl

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi again Rgirl!

I was only half watching this, but I agree with your assessment of the performances I did watch. These comments are in agreement with yours, but they are my strongest opinions out of what I did see.

I was VERY glad to see BeBe out there - great experience in her first senior year.

Couldn't agree more about Sasha. That is a great piece of music for her, and was by far the most beautiful and fitting costume I've seen on her yet - just my opinon but WOW! Very elegant. I agree with you that simple and elegant is more appealing than some of the "themed" stuff we've seen - don't have to dress up in a swan costume to skate to Swan Lake, LOL.

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Can't believe...

...I forgot to add this.

MICHAEL KEEP YOUR CLOTHES ON!!!!! Cute abs, but GEEZ!

DG

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for this thread Rgirl, :)

Belated thoughts on yesterday's NHK event (btw skipped Dance all together and there was too little shown of Pairs LPs for me to take note of). Only taped the Exhibitions (Liang & Cohen to be exact), which was a NICE SURPRISE b/c I originally only tuned in b/c of the Pairs.

EXHIBITIONS (btw darn I wish I would have taped Evgeni's but wasn't expecting much, how wrong I was!)

Evgeni Plushenko - what a pleasant surprise! Haven't watched him or the other men throughout the GP series b/c I found it all so boring after having watched Skate America & I think Skate Canada (though Evgeni remains my favorite). Anyhow, he didn't disappoint ~ dressed splendidly in a velvet-like black catsuit w/an intricate gold design on the front ~ really seemed into the music & it showed. Lots of passion, drama, & flare! Loved it (no lie). Btw, the spotlight seemed to add that special something to ALL the skaters' performances IMHO. And really allowed them all to show off their unique personalities. JMHO.

Bebe Liang - another eye-opening surprise! She hadn't made an impression on me at all throught the GP until now (no lie). Couldn't believe it was the same little lady ~ soooo POWERFUL out there on the ice alone ~ with that added touch of genuine femininity as well as joy! Loved this program, but especially Bebe & the way she skated it. What a difference the exhibitions are as compared to the competitions - sometimes bringing about an entirely different skater IMHO. Btw, loved the black velvet dress (reminded me in a way of Evgeni's).

Michael Weiss - enjoyed the music of the J. Geils Band - brought back memories of my being in h.s. & trying to emulate the girl in their MTV video - lol! :D And it was obvious Mike was having a great time out there on the ice.......too bad he gets such a bad rap.......honestly don't think he's a bad guy whatsoever. Just misunderstood IMHO. ***Note: btw never really noticed Mike's butt before, but in those jeans I sure did - absolutely loooooove his big bubble butt (no lie). :D (;^P***

Sasha Cohen - LOVED everything about this program (no lie) ~ FAB! This was only my second viewing of this program ever - last time was at some Canadian pro-am last year - where she was dressed all in white. However, this time she was wearing a new black dress w/a sheer-like quality about the front interspersed w/tiny black snowballs. And her hair was pulled back in an elegant chignon or French braid, along w/her perfect make-up as always. But what really made the difference, to me, was not only the spotlight but also the mature way in which Sasha skated this number. Ah, if only she would make this into a competitive program, but then again it might not have quite the same effect. Btw, throughout the entire number I kept thinking of how much she physically reminded me of Nicole Watt (a skater that will always hold a special place in my heart & whom I have always wanted her to skate pairs w/Fedor Andreev; no lie). Anyhow, I kept thinking if not Nicole, then Sasha w/Fedor.......could just imagine in my mind's eye the gorgeous pairing on the ice these two would make (reminiscent of G&G in every way except perhaps more exotic).......especially to the number of "Romeo & Juliet". Of course not professionally since Sasha is without a doubt one of the Top 3 skaters in the world when it comes to ladies singles. But maybe during a sanctioned show or two ~ would love to see this. :love:

Langlois & Archetto - sorry, this number didn't really make an impression upon me, thus I have forgotten it. :(

***Note: only watched the above exhibitions, as well as a funny segment from Jef Billings as regards the costumes he makes and the ones he thinks are horrors! :eek: :D ***

Peace & Love, Nadine

MODIFIED TO ADD: btw IMHO Sasha's "Romeo & Juliet" program is a signature piece for her......the best one I have ever seen as concerns ladies singles......love it! {two thumbs way up}

Last edited:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Name That Tune

I enjoyed the exhibitions, except for Weiss. I really liked Plush's Adagio but was surprised that he wasn't wearing gloves!!! I love Belbin/Agosto, but I hope they retire the Elvis number soon. Loved Bebe and Sasha. Wished they could have shown Shizuka.

Denkova/Stavyski skated to Shakira's Objection (Tango). Bebe skated to Sting's Until from the Kate and Leopold soundtrack.

I was a bit disappointed that they showed only brief highlights of the NHK Paris competition. I was looking forward to seeing Inoue/Baldwin and Langlois/Archetto.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Unfortunately, I didn't see this but it is interesting that Bebe did a Sting number (Until). Fields of Gold is originally a Sting number. Maybe Bebe is trying to make a statement. :love:

Joe